PDA

View Full Version : Divination Spell Timeframe

NecessaryWeevil
2021-01-06, 02:28 PM
Hi folks,

The Divination spell works like this:

Your magic and an offering put you in contact with a god or a god’s servants. You ask a single question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity to occur within 7 days. The GM offers a truthful reply. The reply might be a short phrase, a cryptic rhyme, or an omen.
The spell doesn’t take into account any possible circumstances that might change the outcome, such as the casting of additional spells or the loss or gain of a companion.

So far my Druid has used it twice, first to ask advice about giving a mysterious artifact to a bad guy, the second, about whether a quest was worth leaving his family for a while. The second in particular was a sort of off-screen use to give him an excuse to adventure, so I guess it can work however the DM likes, but it got me wondering:
You ask about something occurring within the next 7 days, but does the spell consider possible outcomes extending beyond the 7 days?
For example: "If I give this item to this demon in exchange for our freedom, will I regret doing so more than I will regret not doing so?" If the demon is going to sit on it for a month and then use it to end the world, how does the spell respond?

MrStabby
2021-01-06, 02:35 PM
I would read it as the action is to take place within 7 days. The consequences are not bound in their evaluation. That said, the consequences four millennia hence from a decision about whether to have beetroot for dinner is probably beyond gods to contemplate anyway.

There might be an interesting thing where the answe might depend on the values of the god contacted and what they consider to be a good outcome for you... material poverty but spiritual enrichment? Would a given being think that good?