PDA

View Full Version : Orc Paladin Mount

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-06, 03:30 PM
In an upcoming game I'm running, one of my players wants to play an Orc Paladin (likely the Rebalanced Paladin (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=761045)) and is interested in getting a mount. However, he insists, Orcs do not ride horses. They ride wolves.

Obviously in this comic we've seen a case of this (Hinjo and Argent), but I can't seem to locate any hard-and-fast rules on different mounts (the SRD doesn't appear to have anything beyond some suggestions). Can I just substitute a Dire Wolf for a Heavy Warhorse? That doesn't quite seem balanced to me, but they also suggest giving Aquatic Paladins a shark, which is also more savage than a horse.

How does one handle this, aside from using Cohort rules (which I recall are somewhere and have rules for combining cohorts with special mounts).

FireSpark
2007-11-06, 03:38 PM
How does one handle this, aside from using Cohort rules (which I recall are somewhere and have rules for combining cohorts with special mounts).

I would suggest looking in the DMG under the section of variant mounts. There, you can find if there is a creature that is comparable to a dire wolf (if it isn't already on the list, I can't remember), and then go from there. Heck, I know for a fact that the rhinocerous is on that list, so I bet a dire wolf can be fit in there somewhere.

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-06, 03:40 PM
in 2nd edition, although there was a mount list, the list came with a small tag line:

It's all up to the DM.

So, you make the call :D

Dhavaer
2007-11-06, 03:45 PM
How about a Dire Boar? Orcs are pretty porcine.

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-06, 03:50 PM
How about a Dire Boar? Orcs are pretty porcine.

The player said wolf or boar, actually, but both seem a hair stronger than a horse.

Ah, found the table. Had to dive the index to do it. Good stuff, thanks.

leperkhaun
2007-11-06, 04:18 PM
Another way might be to take an awakened animal cohort (through leadership) and use that as a mount.