PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Knight (Fire Emblem Inspired)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-06, 03:45 PM
A Prestige class I'm posting hoping to get comments about.

Pegasus Knight

Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
Race: Human
Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 4 ranks, Profession (mercenary) 8 ranks, Ride 8 ranks,
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Spirited Charge, Weapon Finesse

Class Skills
The Pegasus Knight’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (history, nature, nobility and royalty, religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Pegasus Knight prestige class.
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: A Pegasus Knight is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and light and medium armour.
Weapon Finesse: At first level, a Pegasus Knight gains the ability to finesse short spears and javelins as though they were light weapons. When mounted this ability extends to lances.
At 7th level, this ability extends to longswords, sabers and scimitars.
Special Mount [Ex]: At 1st level, a Pegasus Knight can form a special bond with a mount, granting it improved intelligence and abilities as the Pegasus Knight levels up. This mount is a Pegasus as described in the Monster Manual.
If the Pegasus Knight’s mount dies, he must wait for a whole month before bonding with another mount. If the Pegasus Knight dies, the mount returns to being a normal Pegasus.

Bonus HD: Extra ten-sided (d10) Hit Dice, each of which gains a Constitution modifier, as normal. Extra Hit Dice improve the mount’s base attack and base save bonuses. A special mount’s base attack bonus is equal to its HD. A mount has good Fortitude and Reflex saves. The mount gains additional skill points or feats for bonus HD as normal for advancing a monster’s Hit Dice.
Natural Armour Adj.: The number on the table is an improvement to the mount’s existing natural armour bonus.
Str Ad.: Add this figure to the mount’s strength score.
Empathic Link (Su): The Pegasus Knight has an empathic link with her mount at a distance of up to 1 mile. The Pegasus Knight cannot see through the mount’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Note that even intelligent mounts see the worlds differently to humans, so misunderstanding are always possible.
Because of this empathic link, the Pegasus Knight has the same connection to an item or place that her mount does, just as with a master and his familiar.
Share Saving Throws: For each of its saving throws, the mount uses it’s own base save bonus or the Pegasus Knight’s whichever is higher. The mount applies it’s own ability modifiers to saves and it doesn’t share any other bonuses on saves that the master might have (such as from magic items or feats).
Speed Bonus (Ex): The mount’s gains this bonus as an enhancement bonus to both fly and land speed .
Spell Resistance (Ex): A mount’s spell resistance equals it’s master’s character level +10.
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a reflex save for half damage, a mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage if the saving throw fails.
Manoeuvrability increase: The special mount’s manoeuvrability rating increases to good.

Share Spell Resistance [Su]: From 2nd level, a Pegasus Knight may benefit from her Special mount’s spell resistance as long as they occupy the same space.
Triangle Attack: From 3rd level, a Pegasus Knight may use her class level in place of the normal attack bonus from flanking opponents. In addition if a Pegasus Knight attacks any enemy already flanked by 2 allies, she counts as flanking that opponent.
Fly-by Attack: From 4th level, a Pegasus Knight may make a standard action to attack with a thrown or finessable during her special mount’s fly move.
Flying Defence Bonus: At 5th level, a Pegasus Knight gains a +2 dodge bonus to armour class whenever she is flying.
At 9th level, this bonus increases to +4.
Aerial Combatant: From 6th level, a Pegasus Knight and her special mount gain a +1 circumstance bonus on all attacks made when both her and her target are in the air. If her attack hits, she and her mount gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks from that opponent until the following round.
Master Rider: At 8th level, a Pegasus Knight gains the ability to take 10 on any ride checks involving her special mount, even when threatened.
Great Charge: At 10th level, a Pegasus Knight gains the ability to make a Full Attack action even if her mount moves more than 5 ft. a round. If her mount tales a single move action then she may make any of her attacks at any point along her mounts move but if her mount charges she much make all of her attacks at the end of the charge. She may still only make a single attack if her mount takes a run action.

The Pegasus Knight
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Weapon Finesse (Spears), Special Mount

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Share Spell Resistance

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Triangle Attack

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Fly-by Attack

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Mounted Defence Bonus +2

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Aerial Combat

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Weapon Finesse (Swords)

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Master Ride

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|Mounted Defence Bonus +4

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Great Charge[/table]

Yeril
2007-11-06, 04:40 PM
I'd change the Race to "Female Human, Half-elf or Elf"

Tyrolin
2007-11-06, 07:48 PM
I don't think that the Peg Knight union only accepts women, but that's just me. I've only played the one so I don't know if it's chance or not. Other than that, I don't have any problems. Good luck on the rest!!!

FireSpark
2007-11-06, 09:26 PM

I disagree. Unless I've totally lost it (it being my mind of course), I believethat according to popular mythology, the good-aligned, female gender preferring creature of lore, was the unicorn. And in fact, the pegasus was commonly ridden by mighty male warriors, as mystic war-steeds.

X15lm204
2007-11-06, 09:52 PM
I disagree. Unless I've totally lost it (it being my mind of course), I believethat according to popular mythology, the good-aligned, female gender preferring creature of lore, was the unicorn. And in fact, the pegasus was commonly ridden by mighty male warriors, as mystic war-steeds.

Generally, this is true, but in the Fire Emblem series of games, the stated source material, every Pegasus Knight you meet is female. Whether it's because they only accept women, it's to balance the almost always male (though there has been at least one exception) Wyvern Knights, or just because the creators of the series like the idea of little girls on flying horses is never made clear. Personally, unless I was making this to play in the world of Fire Emblem itself, I would just drop the gender and race requirements.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-06, 09:55 PM
Generally, this is true, but in the Fire Emblem series of games, the stated source material, every Pegasus Knight you meet is female. Whether it's because they only accept women, it's to balance the almost always male (though there has been at least one exception) Wyvern Knights, or just because the creators of the series like the idea of little girls on flying horses is never made clear. Personally, unless I was making this to play in the world of Fire Emblem itself, I would just drop the gender and race requirements.
I believe it's actually stated at some point. By the way, I'll look over the class when I'm not IN CLASS.

Fizban
2007-11-07, 12:27 AM
Seems like a fairly standard flying mounted class. Abilities match fire emblem well enough, magic resistance, high hit/low damage, etc. Not particularly prestige, but it is emulating what was originally a base class. Depending on what game you're basing it off of, you might add a special ability of some sort at level 5, to represent becoming a -whatever the other choice besides falcon knight was-. Unless you're going off just plain fire emblem, in which case there is none. Sadly the advantage of extra weapon proficiencies in that game does not crossover hardly at all.

DracoDei
2007-11-07, 01:40 AM
Could hand out Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and/or Improved Critical if you want to allow better abilities with specific weapons over the progress of the class.

Needs the table for the mount improvement.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-07, 05:15 AM
Personally, unless I was making this to play in the world of Fire Emblem itself, I would just drop the gender and race requirements.

Yeah, I was assuming that you'd do that.

Half-elves (and half-orcs) can get in if they take the human blood feat anyway. I tend to prefer my flying elves to ride giant eagles but that may be my warhammer experiance. The gender and race requirement are for fluff and can easily be dropped anyway. Seeing as how you'd only use the gender requirement in a game based on Fire Emblem's setting, where humans and dragons are the only sentient races, it isn't a problem.

Could hand out Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and/or Improved Critical if you want to allow better abilities with specific weapons over the progress of the class.

Needs the table for the mount improvement.

I know it needs a mount table, I just wasn't sure how to do it. I had to copy the advancement table from Fax's thread after all.

The weapon finesse ability was supposed to represent the ability to use differant weapons as you level up.

IAnd in fact, the pegasus was commonly ridden by mighty male warriors, as mystic war-steeds.

Belapharon and Perseus both ride pegasus, but this class isn't really based off greek mythology, which has no real female heroes. The female characters in Greek Myths are either godesses, witches and monsters, harmless princesses or Amazons which serve more as antagonists.