PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Shadow Sorcerer - dip into two classes

Kessel
2021-01-06, 07:10 PM
Hey there.
I’m playing an 8th level, Yuan Ti Shadow Sorcerer. Stats are STR 08, DEX 18, CON 19*, INT 13, WIS 16, CHA 20. (*19 is from an Amulet of Health.) I also have Elven Chain.

In the near future, we’re leveling up and I’d love some input on an idea I had.
I’d been thinking of taking 3 levels of Warlock (Celestial & Tome.) But the new idea is to take advantage of the good rolls and take 1 level of Knowledge Cleric and 2 levels of Divination Wizard.

I know this is unusual, but this combo gives a lot. Cleric gives medium armor/shield, cantrips, languages, expertise in 2 skills, simple weapons, Cleric spells. Wizard gives more spells, ritual casting without having it prepped (my party has a captured spell book, ton of rituals in it,) portent dice, and neither class slows down spell slot progression.

I was going to dip 3 levels into Warlock anyways, if I spent the 3 on this combination instead – I’m wondering if there is a glaring issue that I’m missing that will bite me..?

Input is most welcome, my thanks.

LordShade
2021-01-07, 12:43 AM
A 2+ level Warlock dip on a Sorcerer gives you extremely strong, virtually at-will damage output in the form of Quickened Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast. That damage gives you enough combat presence to justify delaying access to your most powerful spells.

Cleric 1/Wiz 2 does nothing to improve your damage contribution, and while Portent can be impactful in battle, I don't think it measures up to the 6d10+30 damage you'll be doing with Quickened EB at level 11. If you're giving up access to level 5 and 6 spells, you better be getting something really good out of it. Medium armor is normally significant, but you already have 18 Dex, which makes it far less valuable. Only 1 point of AC in your case.

If the cleric/wiz combo fits your character thematically, or if the campaign doesn't focus on difficult combats, then I say go for it. But from a pure optimization perspective, cleric/wizard/sorcerer doesn't seem like a good build to me. I like cleric/diviner/bard much better, since the bard offers a bunch of features beyond just spellcasting. But a sorcerer only gets spells and metamagic (which depend on spells), so delaying the only thing you get seems really painful.

Kessel
2021-01-07, 11:01 AM
A 2+ level Warlock dip on a Sorcerer gives you extremely strong, virtually at-will damage output in the form of Quickened Eldritch Blast+Agonizing Blast. That damage gives you enough combat presence to justify delaying access to your most powerful spells.

Cleric 1/Wiz 2 does nothing to improve your damage contribution, and while Portent can be impactful in battle, I don't think it measures up to the 6d10+30 damage you'll be doing with Quickened EB at level 11. If you're giving up access to level 5 and 6 spells, you better be getting something really good out of it. Medium armor is normally significant, but you already have 18 Dex, which makes it far less valuable. Only 1 point of AC in your case.

If the cleric/wiz combo fits your character thematically, or if the campaign doesn't focus on difficult combats, then I say go for it. But from a pure optimization perspective, cleric/wizard/sorcerer doesn't seem like a good build to me. I like cleric/diviner/bard much better, since the bard offers a bunch of features beyond just spellcasting. But a sorcerer only gets spells and metamagic (which depend on spells), so delaying the only thing you get seems really painful.

You're absolutely right about the damage output being stronger with a Warlock dip. I guess I was also filling holes in our party dynamic and role-play with the character. Thanks for the feedback!