PDA

View Full Version : A Mandalorian Build Guide

CMCC
2021-01-06, 09:59 PM
https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2020/09/16/mandalorian-button-1600277980032.jpg

OK, folks, it’s time for everyone’s favorite game show: How to Make a Mandalorian!
Like my previous Force User guide (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623807-The-Force-User-(Jedi-Sith-Kid-in-TLJ-with-Broom)-Build&highlight=force+user) we are not attempting to make the story’s main character (Luke or Din Djarin) – although their influence will certainly be felt. This will hopefully give people the tools to make the Mandalorian character that they want.

What are the skills/traits/powers/technology we need to make a Mandalorian?

Mandalorians are warriors. They excel in both ranged and melee combat. They wear suits of armor – often containing Beskar, one of the most durable metals in the universe. Their armor, helmets, and vambraces contain a multitude of weapons and gadgets that make up the bulk of individual Mandalorian offense.

Let’s start with the easy stuff first.

Mandalorians are technology dependent warriors, wielding various weapons, and with a ton of gadgets in very strong metal armor. The primary class is obvious: Artificer. I’ve seen some mention of Fighter Samurai or Ranger Hunters as the main chassis for the build, but after some inspection that seems to me to be more of a flavor choice and less of a mechanical one.

If we agree to settle on the Artificer, the question becomes which one. This ended up not being an easy decision as the two main standouts (Armorer and Artillerist) each provide mechanics we need that the other does not. There are also some items and a dearth of martial capabilities that neither subclass can provide.

Below is a non-exhaustive list of the gadgets and equipment we need.

Beskar Armor: The closest D&D equivalent here is ADAMANTINE armor. Get it if you can.
Partial: BOTH. (You can make a strong argument that most Manalorian armor is half plate.)
Full: Armorer

Helmet
Macrobinocular Viewplate: BOTH (Goggles of Night)
Tactical Heads-up Displays: BOTH (Helm of Awareness, See Invisibility, Faerie Fire)
Comlink: BOTH (message cantrip)
Rangefinder: NONE. This provides enhanced imagery that has some RP applications like taking photos but can also allow Mandalorians to be more accurate with ranged weapons. We’ll want the ARCHERY fighting style – either through a feat or multiclass. Faerie Fire could work well here (it would be better if only the Mandalorian got advantage though).

Armor
Jet Pack: BOTH (Winged Boots or Fly spell). The boots are a perfect choice here.
Flamethrowers: ARTILLERIST (Eldritch Cannon). Our first major divergence. Flamethrowers are an essential part of the Mandalorian vambraces. The Armorer not having access to this puts it well behind. A 1 level dip into wizard (Burning Hands) helps solve this issue and others we’ll come across for the Armorer. But that’s one level not put towards Artificer or a martial class.
Wrist lasers: BOTH (Lightning Launcher or Scorching Ray/Force Ballista). Here we have different solves for this mechanic, but any of them work. The primary difference here is the Armorers Lightning Launcher is an infinite resource and neither of the Artillerists solutions are.
Wrist rockets: BOTH (shatter). Small missiles fired from the vambrace, not to be confused with the much larger missile launcher on the jet pack.
Whipcord throwers/Grappling Line: BOTH (Thorn Whip). You can also make an argument for the Ranger’s Ensnaring Strike.
Projectile buzzsaws: NONE. I don’t have a good D&D equivalent for this.
Shield Emitters: ARTILLERIST (Shield spell). Again, the Artillerist inches ahead. These are energy shields not actual metal shields, but if you’re okay with major reflavoring the Repulsion Shield gives the Armorer a shield and Repulsor (see below).
Paralyzing darts: NONE: We would need 3 levels in wizard for Hold Person. This also gives us a major magic item that some Mandalorians would be desperate to have (see below).
Repulsors: BOTH. This replicates the Force Push of the Jedi. The TK feat will give you a push, the Repulsion Shield or Artillerist’s Force Ballista are all viable options.
Whistling birds: ARMORER (Magic Missile). The Armorer pulls back into the race. It really sucks that the subclass that didn’t need the 1 level wizard dip before now needs that dip to get the cool Vambrace fired guided missiles.
Missile Launcher: ARTILLERIST (Fireball). Point your head. Launch the missile. Watch it go BOOM.

Weapons
Handheld Blaster: BOTH/NONE (Repeating Shot Hand xBow) You can get this with both subclasses but neither gives you proficiency to use it. If you’re using firearms, you can go the Gunner feat route, but that’s DM dependent. You can use the Armorer’s Lightning Launcher here or a cantrip like Firebolt for the Artillerist. If you want the closest MECHANICAL option, then you need to go with the xBow because there are implications that come with holding/drawing/dropping a weapon that don’t exist with cantrips and gauntlets.
Edit: a viable solution here would be to use your Arcane Firearm WITH your cantrip (since all Artificer spells have an M component you can do this for any spell), and fire off Firebolts with the additional d8 of damage.
(Phase Pulse Blaster) Explosive Blast: BOTH (Shatter/Arcane Firearm). Double dipping here a bit. The Artillerist casting Shatter through the AF works really nice here and gives a little extra punch. If you have firearms you can use a Hunting Rifle here. The Armorer gets Lightning Bolt which can be flavored as the blast.
(Phase Pulse Blaster) Taser: BOTH (shocking grasp)
Vibroblade: BOTH (Enhanced Weapon Dagger or Shortsword)
Beskar Staff: BOTH. This one gets a bit tricky. Suggested by Silpharon in another thread. With an All-Purpose Tool cast Shillelagh on your staff. The Artillerist can combine with the Arcane Firearm and Booming Blade to do an extra d8 of damage in addition to the Shillelagh and Booming Blade damage.
Darksaber: NONE. Shadow. Blade. This is a perfect Darksaber. But you’ll need that 3-level dip into Wizard if you want it. The positive here is that you can easily upcast it with your Artificer levels.

Combat Abilities:
Extra Attack
Fighting Style (Archery/ Defense)
Martial Weapons

Mandalorians are primarily warriors, so it’s going to be important to get Extra Attack, a fighting style, martial weapons proficiency, and some other abilities that lend themselves to martial or ranged attacks. Battle Master works great here because of the maneuvers, but I could see taking Eldritch Knight for the Armorer to get Burning Hands and Shield (rather than dip into wizard).

Sample Builds:

Armorer
V.Human (+1 INT/ +1 DEX)
Fighter 1 > Armorer 10 > Fighter 3 > Armorer 17
15 INT/ 15 DEX/ 14 CON
ASI/Feat: Crossbow Expert, INT+2, Sharpshooter, INT+2,
Fighting Style: Archery
Infusions: Repeating Shot Hand Crossbow, Goggles of Night, Enhanced Defense, Helm of Awareness, Winged Boots

At level 11, you’re doing 33-48 DPR with 2 launcher attacks and a bonus action crossbow attack all with Sharpshooter and likely advantage if you’re using your “helm rangefinder” (faerie fire). In addition, you have spells like Shatter (wrist rocket) and Lightning Bolt (Phase Pulse Blaster) for multiple target or single target damage. You’re doing all of this with advantage on initiative, spell-free flight, a 20 AC (if you’re wearing plate, 19 if you’re wearing half plate), 35 feet speed, darkvision, and no disadvantage on stealth rolls.

After 11, your martial prowess steps up, and you can start using maneuvers for added effect and damage. Then back to Armorer for the final levels, you get Spell Storing Item, two more ASI, 4th and 5th level spells (which honestly aren’t that thematic, but they are good), and Perfected Armor that gives disadvantage for 1 attack, advantage against it for 1 attack, and an additional d6 damage.

This character is OK with melee weapons, as long as you’re using “the beskar staff” combo, but with Crossbow Expert there is no real reason to ever use it. You can fire with wrist lasers and blasters in melee or while whizzing around the battlefield with your “jet pack”.

Artillerist
V. Human (Piercer; +1 DEX, +1 INT, +1 CON)
Fighter 1 > Artillerist 5 > Fighter 5 > Artillerist 15
15 INT/ 15 DEX/ 15 CON
ASI: Piercer, +2 INT, +2 INT, Elemental Adept
Fighting Style: Defense

This is your melee Mandalorian. You are going to get into the mix with this one. Fair warning this probably won’t be as powerful as going 20 straight Artificer levels and reflavoring your cantrips as weapon attacks. But, as mentioned above, there actually are mechanical issues with that, and we’re going for a specific character type. Because of that 5 fighter levels is the minimum to make that work effectively (although arguments can certainly be made to go as high as 7 or even 11 with fighter).

Progression depends entirely on your ability to get an All-Purpose Tool for the Shillelagh + Booming Blade combo. If that seems unlikely, I would go with melee attacks via your Vibroblade (Shortsword with +1 infusion). We’re going to do the unthinkable and delay our Extra Attack until 10.

At level 5 you’re doing 1d6+4 + 1d8 with a 2d8 bonus action attack that can hit multiple targets and a possible 2d8 additional damage if your BB target moves.

At level 6, you get your arcane firearm and hopefully the APT. You can hit with Shillelagh for 1d8+5 (enhanced weapon+ INT bonus) + 1d8 (booming blade) + 1d8 (arcane firearm) + 2d8 (flamethrower, save for half).

At level 14 you can drop a Fireball on a horde of enemies, fly into melee, blast whoever is left with your flamethrower, which is now at 3d8, and follow up subsequent rounds with 1d8+7 x2 “Beskar” staff attacks, use a trip maneuver to add another d8 of damage and give your follow up attack advantage. Then use your flamethrower BA attack for good measure.

https://media.tenor.com/images/cdd286affc616545cefbe5e739e06f27/tenor.gif
...I hope :)

Orsyn
2021-01-06, 10:26 PM
Awesome builds! I feel like Protector Armorer may deserve an honorable mention re: melee Mandalorian, but I can't argue that the staff-fighting Artillerist isn't effective.

It might also be worth noting that, given DM input, Artificers can start with firearm proficiency without the Gunner feat, which I think is more true to the switch-hitting nature of a mando (you DO see them use blasters in melee sometimes, but they seem as or more likely to just pull out a more suitable weapon).

CMCC
2021-01-06, 10:36 PM
Awesome builds! I feel like Protector Armorer may deserve an honorable mention re: melee Mandalorian, but I can't argue that the staff-fighting Artillerist isn't effective.

It might also be worth noting that, given DM input, Artificers can start with firearm proficiency without the Gunner feat, which I think is more true to the switch-hitting nature of a mando (you DO see them use blasters in melee sometimes, but they seem as or more likely to just pull out a more suitable weapon).

Agreed. Firearms are mentioned in the weapons section. Also with crossbow expert you can use your “blaster” at melee range.

CMCC
2021-01-08, 01:51 PM
Updated with Arcane Firearm + Firebolt for a main action "blaster" attack for the Artillerist.

I've you want to go that route, I might (sadly) forgo fighter levels and pick up 1 wizard level for the extra cantrips (Thorn Whip, Mending, Booming Blade, Firebolt, Message would be thematically and functionally effective). It pains me to not have true martial capabilities on a Mandalorian build, but it would almost certainly be more optimized to do so.

Silpharon
2021-01-09, 12:49 PM
Cool builds! I like how you've separated all the abilities to find suitable options. I didn't know Mandos could do so much!

Also, thanks for crediting me with the Arcane Firearm / Shillelagh combo, that was very kind of you. I'm just glad it's getting more exposure! Another cool thing on that combo - neither Arcane Firearm nor Shillelagh require the quarterstaff to be mundane. This means you could get a Staff of Striking or Staff of Power and still use this combo to great effect. The latter, Staff of Power, could fill in the thematic gaps missing from the Artillerist, though you'll need to wait until Artificer 14 for attunement unless you get Wizard levels.

On the topic of wizard levels, for the Armorer option, I might suggest getting 2 levels for War Wizard (so an artificer 15/fighter 3/wizard 2 build). I think the bonus initiative and +2/+4 AC/saving throw reaction fit the Mandalorian really well, and the added spells could fill in gaps. The level 5 spells lost from Artificer 17 don't really fit a Mandalorian anyway. You'll have 4 ASI/feats instead of 5 with variant human, but that should be fine since you only listed 4 in the build.

CMCC
2021-01-09, 01:44 PM
I’m fiddling right now with a battle smith that takes the 1 level in wizard for burning hands and magic missile and cantrips.

I really like the RP potential of a mandalorian like Din who hates his “droid” companion like IG-11but is forced to work with him like in Ep1.

As for the battle smith - I dig the more martial vibe for the character. But the spells basically SUCK for a mando build.

Moral here is that all 3 work well and you can pick and choose the abilities you want for YOUR mandalorian

On the topic of wizard levels, for the Armorer option, I might suggest getting 2 levels for War Wizard (so an artificer 15/fighter 3/wizard 2 build). I think the bonus initiative and +2/+4 AC/saving throw reaction fit the Mandalorian really well, and the added spells could fill in gaps. The level 5 spells lost from Artificer 17 don't really fit a Mandalorian anyway. You'll have 4 ASI/feats instead of 5 with variant human, but that should be fine since you only listed 4 in the build.

Yeah I really like that breakdown. The question becomes the progression. When to take those levels.

Silpharon
2021-01-09, 02:07 PM
Yeah I really like that breakdown. The question becomes the progression. When to take those levels.
I might suggest after Armorer 6. Radiant Weapon is a great infusion to be "stuck at" for your Lightning Launcher. Since you're going hand crossbow for bonus actions, why not max Dex instead of Int? I think it's important that your regular/bonus attacks be at max chance for hit. You lose out on some flash of genius value, but War Wizard will help.

How about this?
Fighter 1 -> Armorer 6 -> War Wizard 2 -> Fighter 3 -> Armorer 15

As for having a droid sidekick, what do you think of having a remote as a Homunculus Servant? https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Marksman-H_training_remote

Seems like a flavorful addition, and the bonus action would be Int-based. It might be better than the hand crossbow/dex route, though you miss out on sharpshooter affecting that attack.

CMCC
2021-01-09, 02:32 PM
I'm also trying to find a better equivalent for the phase pulse blaster. It needs to be something like the disintegrate spell.

It should be an attack, that has a very similar effect, maybe for less damage. 11 wizard levels is not a viable option, and it's a save not an attack roll, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Definitely not loving Shatter as an option anymore. Arcane firearm works, but with what spell? Maybe it's just Lightning Bolt for the Armorer, but then what does the Artillerist or Battle Smith do?

CMCC
2021-01-09, 03:12 PM
How about this?
Fighter 1 -> Armorer 6 -> War Wizard 2 -> Fighter 3 -> Armorer 15

This seems right to me. I might be convinced to take 1 wizard level earlier for the cantrips, shield, burning hands.

As for having a droid sidekick, what do you think of having a remote as a Homunculus Servant? https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Marksman-H_training_remote

Seems like a flavorful addition, and the bonus action would be Int-based. It might be better than the hand crossbow/dex route, though you miss out on sharpshooter affecting that attack.
I don’t like it as much from an RP perspective. Mechanically, it’s quite a drop off from a damage perspective, but it does make you more SAD which is nice. It doesn’t really save you an infusion since you’re just switching them.

Maybe it makes sense to flavor the lightning gauntlets as an actual pistol and drop the hand crossbow.

Hmm. Gotta think about this one.

Silpharon
2021-01-09, 03:20 PM
Definitely not loving Shatter as an option anymore. Arcane firearm works, but with what spell? Maybe it's just Lightning Bolt for the Armorer, but then what does the Artillerist or Battle Smith do?

Staff of Power or Staff of Lightning and Thunder for the Artillerist. Javelin of Lightning for the Battle Smith.

This seems right to me. I might be convinced to take 1 wizard level earlier for the cantrips, shield, burning hands.

I don’t like it as much from an RP perspective. Mechanically, it’s quite a drop off from a damage perspective, but it does make you more SAD which is nice. It doesn’t really save you an infusion since you’re just switching them.

Maybe it makes sense to flavor the lightning gauntlets as an actual pistol and drop the hand crossbow.

Hmm. Gotta think about this one.
Keep in mind repeating shot requires attunement as well. I prefer to let the Lightning Launcher be the pistol unless you go full Dex with a hand crossbow.

CMCC
2021-01-09, 03:38 PM
Staff of Power or Staff of Lightning and Thunder for the Artillerist. Javelin of Lightning for the Battle Smith.

Keep in mind repeating shot requires attunement as well. I prefer to let the Lightning Launcher be the pistol unless you go full Dex with a hand crossbow.

Good point. Those slots go quick.

CMCC
2021-01-10, 03:59 PM
Random armorer question: can you infuse your gauntlet weapons with the enhanced weapon infusion? D&D beyond doesn’t let you, but the rules seem to indicate that you can - especially after 9th level

Silpharon
2021-01-10, 05:56 PM
Random armorer question: can you infuse your gauntlet weapons with the enhanced weapon infusion? D&D beyond doesn’t let you, but the rules seem to indicate that you can - especially after 9th level

It's a mundane weapon, why not? I'd even argue it can be infused at level 3, but the rules are stupidly vague here. It seems you could either infuse the weapon or the armor at level 3, but not both. That itself likely isn't intended... What if you had magic armor... le sigh...

Moral of the story, the subclass is too poorly written to make any judgements. Best to just come to conclusions with your DM. Oh, and I think D&D beyond is not trustworthy on Tasha's yet. Facepalm!

CMCC
2021-01-11, 01:33 PM
And another odd interaction: how does the dual wielder feat interact with the guardian gauntlets? They’re not light but they are melee weapons and not identified as two handed.

Silpharon
2021-01-11, 04:35 PM
And another odd interaction: how does the dual wielder feat interact with the guardian gauntlets? They’re not light but they are melee weapons and not identified as two handed.

It seems you would need the dual wielder feat in order to make a bonus action attack with the other hand. Two weapon fighting style would help here too.