PDA

View Full Version : Made my own 5e character sheet spreadsheet (very detailed, with lots of autofill)

Greywander
2021-01-06, 10:06 PM
Not sure if I've shared this before, but I've had this spreadsheet sitting around basically 99.9% done, so I thought I might as well share it. I've been using this for a while in my own games, and it's worked pretty well.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AaCGYgUZLehBswloejbr7n8LLxBAb2ae0pREo-vFKBE/edit?usp=sharing

I realize it might look a bit overwhelming looking at it for the first time, so I'll explain each section real quick. Something to keep in mind is that I've configured the size of the sheets to match how it appears on my screen, which may be different for you (let me know, I'm curious how well it works on other monitors or on phones/tablets).

First page gives an introduction and explains how to use the sheet. It also allows you to alter some of the rules (used in the autofill). Mostly the custom rules are for things like gestalt characters or custom multiclass rules (basically, any set of rules that allow you to end up with more than 20 class levels).

The second page shows all of the main information. It's divided into two sections: if you scroll all of the way up, it should show everything you need out of combat, if you scroll all the way down, it should show everything you need for in combat. There is a lot of stuff that autofills on this page. For example, if you give yourself levels in a caster class, you will automatically gain spell slots. Taking levels in barbarian automatically gives you Rage slots, sorcerer gives you sorcery points, etc. Level is calculated automatically, and a CON bonus is given to HP. Since I don't know if you're taking average HP or rolling for HP, you have to fill those in manually, but you have a slot for each level, allowing you to keep track of how much HP you rolled at each level. If you're using variant encumbrance, you might be interested in the option to drop your pack, which removes everything in or on your backpack from your equipment load. In the combat section you have lists of each type of action you can take, as well as checklists for short and long rests.

The second page shows a lot. Maybe it's too much to go over all of it. Check it out and see if you can figure out what it all is. Just make sure you fill things in correctly or it could break.

Third page is roleplay. You can write in your background, as well as filling out short sections about your parents, siblings, or hometown. You can select a major and minor temperament (which is kind of but not exactly personality; look them up, they're useful for figuring out a character's behavior and motivation), likes, dislikes, and fears, as well as your goals, both short term and long term. Finally, you have a list of contacts, people you've met during your adventures that you want to keep track of. These might be friends, or they might be enemies, or they might just be people of interest that you want to look into later.

Fourth page is your backpack. The fact that it keeps track of the weight of your coins and how many pouches, sacks, etc. you need to carry them all probably tells you what kind of person I am. I can understand that not everyone likes keeping track of that kind of minutiae. There's also a big emphasis on defining where your items are. Are they in your pack? Are they strapped to the outside? Are they on your person? Or a belt pouch? Being carried in one or more sacks? Saddlebags? Bag of Holding? At your home base? Etc.

The fifth and final page is your spellbook. You might notice this, and several elements of previous pages, look similar to another spreadsheet that's been posted online before (though I don't know where, nor can I recall who the original creator was). Sadly, you'll need to fill in your spells and their info yourself. Instructions are included for adding more rows for spells, creating sections for different classes (e.g. if you multiclass and have spells from different classes), adding checkboxes to mark prepared spells, and so on. Don't touch the spell slots on this page, it automatically grabs the data from the main page, so go there to change spell slots.

Mostly I'm just making this available for anyone to use, as I've found it to be rather helpful (that's why I made it). If you have suggestions on how I could improve it, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Some things might be too difficult for me to do, but I highly encourage you to take your own stab at making a spreadsheet if you'd like, I found it pretty fun and learned quite a bit.