PDA

View Full Version : My level 10 kobold gloomstalker is going on a solo hunt of a cr 9 creature, any tips?

Rfkannen
2021-01-07, 12:03 AM
My dnd group decided that we were going to break off and do downtime solo adventurers. My character's mission is to unlock the hidden power of his bow by single handedly slaying a monster known as the Adamantine cobra (described to me like an iron cobra but buffed to hell and back, with some sort of ranged attack, and made specifically to counter stealthy archers as a test of there abilities, she approximated it was around cr 9)

I was told that the monster would be impossible to beat without being EXTREMELY careful, and to make good use of research, prepping the area, and all the supplies money can buy. I need to be as prepared as possible. I was told that in a fair fight I will lose, but if I do it properly I might not even ever be hit.

Any tips on what do? One of my main challenges is that I can either fight it at night, where I can turn invisible but only have a 90 foot range. Or to fight it at day where I have 600 foot range but disadvantage on all my attacks (gosh darn light sensitivity)

Any tips on what to buy? So far I am buying a bunch of bear traps and poison, but I am not sure if there would be anything else helpful.

Any tips in general would be greatly appreciated! How would you approach this encounter?

ps. My character is a level 10 kobold gloomstalker with all of the tasha's optional rules except the one replacing favored enemy (I didn't really want another concencration spell), who has the chef and sharpshooter feats.

JackPhoenix
2021-01-07, 01:18 AM
Well, step one is the research. Find out about the area the target is in to see if you could use it to your advantage, or if it hinders you (600' range sounds nice, but it assumes there are no obstacles in the way). Find out more about the target. With the mention of adamantine, it's propably immune to non-magical, non-adamantine weapons... you already have magical bow, but getting few adamantine arrows may not be a bad idea. Poison is propably useless (it's a construct, after all). It may have some vulnerabilities you may exploit. Find out how good the ranged attack is: if you can outrange it, you have an advantage... try to get a way to fly, if it's not in a closed space.

Also, you only have disadvantage in direct sunlight... just wait until it's cloudy and you should be fine (though 600' range implies a longbow, which is heavy weapon, so small character should have disadvantage anyway...)

Rfkannen
2021-01-07, 01:38 AM
Well, step one is the research. Find out about the area the target is in to see if you could use it to your advantage, or if it hinders you (600' range sounds nice, but it assumes there are no obstacles in the way). Find out more about the target. With the mention of adamantine, it's propably immune to non-magical, non-adamantine weapons... you already have magical bow, but getting few adamantine arrows may not be a bad idea. Poison is propably useless (it's a construct, after all). It may have some vulnerabilities you may exploit. Find out how good the ranged attack is: if you can outrange it, you have an advantage... try to get a way to fly, if it's not in a closed space.

Also, you only have disadvantage in direct sunlight... just wait until it's cloudy and you should be fine (though 600' range implies a longbow, which is heavy weapon, so small character should have disadvantage anyway...)

Great advice! I hadn't thought about it needing to be direct sunlight, that will work great! I have a couple adamantine arrows, ill see if I can get more! also good catch on the poison, forgot about constructs being immune to that!

One of the magical features of the bow is that it functions at a long bow (same damage and range) even when it shrinks to shortbow size for a small user. The other effect i have unlocked is it being a +1 weapon.

J-H
2021-01-07, 02:44 AM
Can you fly, or purchase a method of flight? Relatively few snakes can fly.

Omni-Centrist
2021-01-07, 03:00 AM

If it counters stealth, I would go DPS. If you can get items to DPS, that would be nice, like magic arrows.

da newt
2021-01-07, 09:08 AM
Spend a few months hunting and trapping Rust Monsters - should be just the thing for an Adamantine Cobra.

Do a ton of research, find it's vulnerabilities, set up an ambush in the time and place of your choosing. Be willing to retreat if things aren't going well. Maybe you can lead it into a trap? Can it be dispelled? I'd expect it to have blind vision and poison attacks. Get yourself an ally - pack tactics and someone to provide a light source near the enemy. Don't fight it in it's lair.

I'd assume Kiting is your best bet.

Unoriginal
2021-01-07, 09:40 AM
My dnd group decided that we were going to break off and do downtime solo adventurers. My character's mission is to unlock the hidden power of his bow by single handedly slaying a monster known as the Adamantine cobra (described to me like an iron cobra but buffed to hell and back, with some sort of ranged attack, and made specifically to counter stealthy archers as a test of there abilities, she approximated it was around cr 9)

I was told that the monster would be impossible to beat without being EXTREMELY careful, and to make good use of research, prepping the area, and all the supplies money can buy. I need to be as prepared as possible. I was told that in a fair fight I will lose, but if I do it properly I might not even ever be hit.

Any tips on what do? One of my main challenges is that I can either fight it at night, where I can turn invisible but only have a 90 foot range. Or to fight it at day where I have 600 foot range but disadvantage on all my attacks (gosh darn light sensitivity)

Any tips on what to buy? So far I am buying a bunch of bear traps and poison, but I am not sure if there would be anything else helpful.

Any tips in general would be greatly appreciated! How would you approach this encounter?

ps. My character is a level 10 kobold gloomstalker with all of the tasha's optional rules except the one replacing favored enemy (I didn't really want another concencration spell), who has the chef and sharpshooter feats.

If it was made specifically to counter stealthy archers, then I wouldn't rely on stealth or ranged attacks to defeat it.

What I would use? Traps, a ton of them, to chip at its HPs and hinder its movement, plus being able to pick the battlefield.

I would say it's likely the Adamantine Snake has a burrowing speed and blindsight over a large area, in order to counter archers and to make stealth harder. My advice would be to acquire the means to fight underwater unhindered, then trick the Snake into following you into a river (or making it fall into it), then go to town on it with crossbow and dagger.

Make sure the snake doesn't have a swim speed first, though.

JonBeowulf
2021-01-07, 10:08 AM
Win or lose, pls come back and tell us how the fight went. I can't be the only one that wants to know.

micahaphone
2021-01-07, 10:21 AM
I'd say traps sound like a good idea. Make an absolute minefield area then flush the snake out. get a few damage over time abilities on items to force it out of its place. don't try to out stealth archer the anti stealth archer.

How does it counter stealth archers? Is it perfectly camouflaged, good at dodging, or lightning quick?

Quoz
2021-01-08, 11:30 AM
Do your research to find out exactly what abilities this mythical beast will have, definitely. It will probably have several counters to your most obvious strategies. Spells like commune with nature and locate creature will help on scouting expeditions in the days leading up to the final hunt.

If it lacks a burrow speed, spike growth and some forced movement could grind down its HP rather quickly.

If it does burrow, try to lure it into rocks to negate that or find a way to flood its tunnels (decanter of endless water works well, or use some kind of terrain advantage)

Take as many no concentration buffs as you can. Longstreet and protection from poison would be at the top of my list. If there are any long duration buffs your party can provide, take them.

Be certain of your victory conditions. Successfully charming and taming the snake makes for a far better story than just shooting it.

Rfkannen
2021-01-08, 02:45 PM

I can't, I do think the reward for beating might be flight though lol

Spend a few months hunting and trapping Rust Monsters - should be just the thing for an Adamantine Cobra.

Do a ton of research, find it's vulnerabilities, set up an ambush in the time and place of your choosing. Be willing to retreat if things aren't going well. Maybe you can lead it into a trap? Can it be dispelled? I'd expect it to have blind vision and poison attacks. Get yourself an ally - pack tactics and someone to provide a light source near the enemy. Don't fight it in it's lair.

I'd assume Kiting is your best bet.

I actually do know the location of some rust monsters... that might be worth pursuing!

I REALLY could use an ally, but for the bow to level up I have to slay it by myself. Good idea on getting a light source though, I actually have some oil and rags I use as flaming arrows!

Win or lose, pls come back and tell us how the fight went. I can't be the only one that wants to know.

Glad I got you interested! I definitely will!

I'd say traps sound like a good idea. Make an absolute minefield area then flush the snake out. get a few damage over time abilities on items to force it out of its place. don't try to out stealth archer the anti stealth archer.

How does it counter stealth archers? Is it perfectly camouflaged, good at dodging, or lightning quick?

I like the minefield idea! I have no idea what it's abilities are yet.

Do your research to find out exactly what abilities this mythical beast will have, definitely. It will probably have several counters to your most obvious strategies. Spells like commune with nature and locate creature will help on scouting expeditions in the days leading up to the final hunt.

If it lacks a burrow speed, spike growth and some forced movement could grind down its HP rather quickly.

If it does burrow, try to lure it into rocks to negate that or find a way to flood its tunnels (decanter of endless water works well, or use some kind of terrain advantage)

Take as many no concentration buffs as you can. Longstreet and protection from poison would be at the top of my list. If there are any long duration buffs your party can provide, take them.

Be certain of your victory conditions. Successfully charming and taming the snake makes for a far better story than just shooting it.

i love the strategies for spells around burrowing, ill try those out!

JackPhoenix
2021-01-08, 03:12 PM
i love the strategies for spells around burrowing, ill try those out!

Note that flooding the tunnels is more of a problem for you than for a construct who doesn't need air.

Unoriginal
2021-01-08, 03:20 PM
Note that flooding the tunnels is more of a problem for you than for a construct who doesn't need air.

The PC has more ways to solve that issue and the other hindrances from fighting underwater than the snake, though.

Rfkannen
2021-01-08, 03:29 PM
Oh btw I probably should have mentioned that I know that this fight is going to be in the desert. I thiiiiink but am not sure its going to be a place based off of arches national park.

nickl_2000
2021-01-08, 03:32 PM
Oh btw I probably should have mentioned that I know that this fight is going to be in the desert. I thiiiiink but am not sure its going to be a place based off of arches national park.

In that case utilize high ground and rock traps. You are a ranger and know how to set a trap. After that kite all day long.

Frankly, you are a kobold and a ranger, go all Home Alone on it.

Eldariel
2021-01-09, 03:23 AM
What spells do you know? Pretty big deal considering you're a spells known caster with up to level 3 spells.

Lunali
2021-01-09, 09:34 AM
You still have 600ft range at night. Attacking an unseen enemy gives disadvantage, but attacking while unseen gives advantage. (though this often gets houseruled on one or both sides for archers)

If your DM changes the rules on you, scatter light sources around the trap area, with you 90ft outside the lit areas.

Keravath
2021-01-09, 09:46 AM
There are a few things you don't mention.

1) Do you have any feats? Especially, do you have sharpshooter and/or crossbow expert?
2) Do you have a magical weapon?

Something called an Adamantine cobra might be expected to be immune to critical hits, have a high AC and possibly be immune or resistant to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing.

I would suggest doing the all the "research" the DM suggested. Look for written sources, talk to folks at bars looking for tales, visit with anyone who might have seen the creature when traveling. If there are caravans across the desert talk to the people on them and who run them.

A creature which is very difficult or impossible to defeat with stealth and ranged attacks likely has a very high passive perception, blindsight and possibly immunity to piercing damage.

Traps and arrows that do damage other than piercing launched from outside the creature's blindsight radius might be the best option. Solo melee is unlikely to work unless the DM has built in some unexpected vulnerability.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 10:34 AM
Acquiring some adamantine weapons would probably help, too.

someguy
2021-01-09, 11:02 AM
Do a dedicated scouting trip. Go out, cast snare and spike growth, hide on top of a rock, and just watch. Set some different bait out to lure it out. See how it reacts.

If it doesn’t have special movement powers lure. It somewhere with plants and cast plant growth on it. Then pelt it with arrows from atop a nearby rock.

Also dark is clearly better. You should still be able to shoot it from more than 90 feet. You might get disadvantaged for not seeing it but it also can’t see you so it cancels to normal.

Rfkannen
2021-01-09, 12:24 PM
first, just because I feel like it, here's (https://twitter.com/rfkannen/status/1347957979396509697)a picture of the kobold in question!

What spells do you know? Pretty big deal considering you're a spells known caster with up to level 3 spells.

Including primeval awareness and gloomstalker spells; disguise self, hail of thorns, speak with animals , zephyr strike, beast sense, pass withought trace, rope trick, silence, spike growth, feat, lighting arrow, and speak with plants! (btw If anyone has any suggestions for long term changing that spell list I would apreciate it, I am not certain about it)

There are a few things you don't mention.

1) Do you have any feats? Especially, do you have sharpshooter and/or crossbow expert?
2) Do you have a magical weapon?

Something called an Adamantine cobra might be expected to be immune to critical hits, have a high AC and possibly be immune or resistant to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing.

I would suggest doing the all the "research" the DM suggested. Look for written sources, talk to folks at bars looking for tales, visit with anyone who might have seen the creature when traveling. If there are caravans across the desert talk to the people on them and who run them.

A creature which is very difficult or impossible to defeat with stealth and ranged attacks likely has a very high passive perception, blindsight and possibly immunity to piercing damage.

Traps and arrows that do damage other than piercing launched from outside the creature's blindsight radius might be the best option. Solo melee is unlikely to work unless the DM has built in some unexpected vulnerability.

I have sharpshooter and the chef feat. I have a magic weapon that this quest is supposed to upgrade, it is currently a +1 bow that has the stats of a longbow even though it is sized for small creatures. Since the quest is specifically to upgrade the bow, I think it probably isn't immune to the bow's damage, but i could be wrong on that (it could be a test of creativity)