PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Redemption?

GreyBlack
2021-01-07, 09:05 PM
Hey y'all! So I'm starting Descent into Avernus with a new group of players, and I'm actually a player this time! Unfortunately, pre-lockdown, I had actually been running this particular game with a group of players at my FLGS, so a lot of the plot has been spoiled for me. I'm pretty good at keeping my in-character knowledge separate from my out-of-character knowledge, though, so that's not going to really ruin my fun.

That said... it did get me thinking that I wanted to try and run a Redemption Paladin in an attempt to get a specific ending. That said, I have very little experience with the Redemption Paladin, so I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on how to play it. Has anyone ever tried playing the Redemption Paladin? Any tips or tricks? I'm currently level 1, so I haven't taken the Oath yet, but I'm enjoying the RP of it, and the rest of the players are on board so far.

RSP
2021-01-07, 09:47 PM
Redeemers aren’t pacifists: they’ll fight when needed. The best model in terms of how I believe they act is Obi Wan Kenobi - he’ll always give a chance for his opponents to rethink their actions, but if they’re committed to bad actions, he’ll do what’s necessary to stop them.

ProsecutorGodot
2021-01-07, 10:09 PM
Hey, it's a bit out of date but I wrote a guide here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583098-Violence-as-a-Last-Resort-A-Guide-to-the-Oath-of-Redemption-Paladin) about playing one.

There are a few instances where my opinion has changed on the strength of certain spells or features but it's still fairly accurate, I've played my current Redemption Paladin from level 6 to 18 now in Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

If Tasha's expanded spell lists are an option, I highly recommend investing on some platinum rings for Warding Bond ahead of time if you can manage, it's fantastic in effect and theme for this type of Paladin.

GreyBlack
2021-01-07, 11:16 PM
Redeemers aren’t pacifists: they’ll fight when needed. The best model in terms of how I believe they act is Obi Wan Kenobi - he’ll always give a chance for his opponents to rethink their actions, but if they’re committed to bad actions, he’ll do what’s necessary to stop them.

Oh, I'm totally not playing a pacifist. I totally just drop-kicked a cultist to incapacitate him and threatened a dude who was tied up because he was a member of a rival cult.

I'm basically playing as "Lawful Good, not Lawful Stupid," and I'm justifying it to my allies by saying "Well, we need information. Let's tie them up and see what they know before handing them over to the authorities."

I'm not worried about the role play aspect. I'm more curious about the mechanics.

RSP
2021-01-07, 11:48 PM
Oh, I'm totally not playing a pacifist. I totally just drop-kicked a cultist to incapacitate him and threatened a dude who was tied up because he was a member of a rival cult.

I'm basically playing as "Lawful Good, not Lawful Stupid," and I'm justifying it to my allies by saying "Well, we need information. Let's tie them up and see what they know before handing them over to the authorities."

I'm not worried about the role play aspect. I'm more curious about the mechanics.

Gotcha. What kind of playstyle are you going for? Mechanically, they’re still Paladins so tanking and Smiting still work very well.

I’m a particular fan of Cha>Str, to emphasize casting and Aura ability. Tank and stay close to the hardest hitter to be able to Rebuke the Violent when a big hit comes against your allies.

When you or an ally is alone and swarmed, Sanctuary can be very effective at denying enemies their actions: if you, take your attacks, then BA Sanctuary yourself. If another, try to use it when your ally has already had their turn, but the enemies haven’t. Can be a very effective strategy when used correctly.

I like to start the day with an Aid casting on myself, my Steed, and another PC, but otherwise tend to use 2nd level slots more for Smites. 3rd level is usually Crusaders Mantle (with a lot of attacking PCs and a Steed, this can really add up) or Aura of Vitality.

The class is Reaction heavy, so don’t just use them because you can: the level 7 Aura, RtV, Counterspell and OAs all have their time and place, and using them correctly can be a big difference (though no one’s perfect).