PDA

View Full Version : Redeeming Death Knights

ProsecutorGodot
2021-01-09, 08:44 AM
So, some posters may remember a thread I made some months back I had asked about how likely it was for an 18th level open hand monk was to defeat a death knight in single combat.

Just to give those posters closure, the fight finally happened last week and the monk slapped the death knight silly.

It didn't appear to make any noticeable progress towards the reason I'd asked for the odds; To redeem a death knight.

What we know about these death knights is as follows:
-They were followers of Torn
-They appear to suffer from indefinite madness caused by far realm influence
-When we defeated the first, a sword remained that spoke telepathically to our sorcerer when he attempted to move it with mage hand
-The blade of the sword was destroyed but the hilt flew through a wormhole shortly after combat
- The only intelligible words spoken by the knight implied they would return forever through some power, though I don't remember the exacts.

I'm looking for advice on where to go. My paladin isn't super intelligent, but the brains in our party have started to research extensively and I'm hoping to get some ideas on if there are any mechanics or spells to pursue.

We have access to great wealth, over 200k gold and our Sorcerer can replicate any spell of 8th level and lower using wish. If we can give sufficient reason to believe success is possible, we may be able to get the aid of Laerel Silverhand.

Any ideas, however slim, are appreciated.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 10:25 AM
So, some posters may remember a thread I made some months back I had asked about how likely it was for an 18th level open hand monk was to defeat a death knight in single combat.

Just to give those posters closure, the fight finally happened last week and the monk slapped the death knight silly.

It didn't appear to make any noticeable progress towards the reason I'd asked for the odds; To redeem a death knight.

What we know about these death knights is as follows:
-They were followers of Torn
-They appear to suffer from indefinite madness caused by far realm influence
-When we defeated the first, a sword remained that spoke telepathically to our sorcerer when he attempted to move it with mage hand
-The blade of the sword was destroyed but the hilt flew through a wormhole shortly after combat
- The only intelligible words spoken by the knight implied they would return forever through some power, though I don't remember the exacts.

I'm looking for advice on where to go. My paladin isn't super intelligent, but the brains in our party have started to research extensively and I'm hoping to get some ideas on if there are any mechanics or spells to pursue.

We have access to great wealth, over 200k gold and our Surveyed can replicate any spell of 8th level and lower using wish. If we can give sufficient reason to believe success is possible, we may be able to get the aid of Laerel Silverhand.

Any ideas, however slim, are appreciated.

The most important and fundamental factor for redeeming a Death Knight is: do they want to be redeemed?

Redemption is not something that can be forced or come from the outside.

That being said, a Greater Restauration spell can help dealing with Far Realm madness, sometime.

Otherwise, only two ways magic can help you here are:

- Using a *ton* of Message spells and try to discuss things with the Death Knights.
- Using spells and magic items to capture the DKs in a way that let you talk with them.

IIRC the specific DKs you're talking about are the ones from the former Waterdavian noble family which currently occupy a level of Undermountain, correct?

ProsecutorGodot
2021-01-09, 10:35 AM
The most important and fundamental factor for redeeming a Death Knight is: do they want to be redeemed?
On account of the madness, we can't be sure they even became death knights in their right mind.

Of all the members of their family we encountered, they seem to be the most affected by the madness.

IIRC the specific DKs you're talking about are the ones from the former Waterdavian noble family which currently occupy a level of Undermountain, correct?
Correct, though the circumstances have been adjusted pretty heavily by our DM. He has given us much reason to believe that bringing some of them out of Undermountain will be possible.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 10:46 AM
On account of the madness, we can't be sure they even became death knights in their right mind.

Of all the members of their family we encountered, they seem to be the most affected by the madness.

Correct, though the circumstances have been adjusted pretty heavily by our DM. He has given us much reason to believe that bringing some of them out of Undermountain will be possible.

In that case, something you can do is:

1) Capture the Death Knights and make sure they are unable to destroy themselves

2) Try if Greater Restauration helps with the effects of Far Realm exposure

3) Put Protection against Evil and Good on them to protect them from outside influence

4) Gather as much info as you can on who they were in life/who that talking weapon was, and try to talk with the DKs about it

For them to be redeemed, they need to go back to why they fell and see if it's really who they want to be.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-01-09, 10:57 AM
To be serious my monk player beat up a death Knight at level 12.

I think the only way to redeem is with a high power celestial or a god.
It will probably be a bargain with a god of undeath.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 10:59 AM
To be serious my monk player beat up a death Knight at level 12.

Monks are beasts in solo boss fights.

I think the only way to redeem is with a high power celestial or a god.
It will probably be a bargain with a god of undeath.

Gods and Celestials sometime have the patience and the willingness to help a thorough bad guy to turn good (like Lulu in Descent into Avernus), but redemption can't be external.

BloodSnake'sCha
2021-01-09, 12:16 PM
Monks are beasts in solo boss fights.

Gods and Celestials sometime have the patience and the willingness to help a thorough bad guy to turn good (like Lulu in Descent into Avernus), but redemption can't be external.

I meant to say that a Death Knight is a very strong undead and that a god of undeath will not be happy if someone mess with his domain by trying to converting him to something else.
To bargain with such power you will probably need a celestial and or another god just to bargain for the undeath god to let you try and redeem him.

The process of redeeming such a corrupted existence will probably need a pure power of good like a celestial.

Of course redemption can't be external, but you may need external means to be able to make the choice.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 12:22 PM
I meant to say that a Death Knight is a very strong undead and that a god of undeath will not be happy if someone mess with his domain by trying to converting him to something else.
To bargain with such power you will probably need a celestial and or another god just to bargain for the undeath god to let you try and redeem him.

Unless the DK has sworn themselves to the god in question, the god would have no business in this. They may be angry at it but it wouldn't have a direct impact.

The process of redeeming such a corrupted existence will probably need a pure power of good like a celestial.

It's unlikely to be required. But a celestial can help.