PDA

View Full Version : focused aim (monks)

stoutstien
2021-01-09, 09:41 AM
for reference focused aim is a new optional feature that, starting at level 5, allows the monk to spend ki on a missed attack for increased to that attack roll. the ration is 1:2 of ki to attack up to 3 ki for a total of +6. accuracy is always good but the cost is pretty steep.

I am wondering if there is a way to leverage it with the k-fueled attack feature and maybe SS on a kensei. almost like a alternate ranged battle master. between focused aim and deft strike they could be getting a bonus action longbow shot off every round they need it until they run out of ki with kensei shot as a back up for a small bump in damage. I doubt it will be winning any DPS races but no monk will.

Unoriginal
2021-01-09, 10:13 AM
Monks may not win at "maximum possible DPS", but they certainly are top contenders for "most likely to hit per round", especially with that new aim of theirs.

Maybe that's a direction worth exploring for what you want?

Is there anything based on attack rolls that fits "would be devastating if it hits, but too much hassle if it doesn't"? A Monk could turn that from an high risk, high reward into simply an high reward one.

stoutstien
2021-01-09, 10:49 AM
Monks may not win at "maximum possible DPS", but they certainly are top contenders for "most likely to hit per round", especially with that new aim of theirs.

Maybe that's a direction worth exploring for what you want?

Is there anything based on attack rolls that fits "would be devastating if it hits, but too much hassle if it doesn't"? A Monk could turn that from an high risk, high reward into simply an high reward one.

other than poisons nothing springs to mind. im working on an anydice to see just how well it functions as an option. surprisingly deep like the battle master can end as if you start adding in the if/then functions.

Witty Username
2021-01-10, 08:23 PM
Multiclass with rogue?

stoutstien
2021-01-11, 07:51 AM
Multiclass with rogue?

I am about half way done with the number crunching now. i really want to see how it stands on its own as a single class. If i was looking at muticlassing I would have to rate ranger or fighter over rogue for this monk.

Delph
2021-01-11, 09:28 AM
2 lvl od Ranger to get archery fighting style + two uses of hunter mark. With SS feat and 11 lvl of Kensei Monk:
Spending 3 ki points for +3 longbow, +2 with FS,-5 SS feat, So it's straight attack roll with d8+d6+d4 +13 dmg + Dex twice per turn... And with Chance to add some attack by next kipoints

stoutstien
2021-01-11, 04:04 PM
2 lvl od Ranger to get archery fighting style + two uses of hunter mark. With SS feat and 11 lvl of Kensei Monk:
Spending 3 ki points for +3 longbow, +2 with FS,-5 SS feat, So it's straight attack roll with d8+d6+d4 +13 dmg + Dex twice per turn... And with Chance to add some attack by next kipoints

its a little more muddled than that with 6 different toggles going on at once depending on what you are facing, how much ki you have left/ next expected rest, and so on. focused aim is the real hard part to get nailed down. if you know your target AC it can be a huge boost of damage by giving a hit and activating Ki-fueled strike. so at what point would just shooting strait up and using focused aim 1 ki match sharpen the blade vs say 17 AC?

MrStabby
2021-01-12, 08:35 AM
Probably my favourite martial character whas a shadowmonk with a level of war cleric that ran round in heavy armour with a greatsword and great weapon mastery. THey would have loved access to this ability. I would probably not have used this to add more than +2 to an attack unless it was a really intense Burn all your Resources type affair, but to convert a miss into a hit it is pretty good.

Delph
2021-01-12, 10:56 AM
its a little more muddled than that with 6 different toggles going on at once depending on what you are facing, how much ki you have left/ next expected rest, and so on. focused aim is the real hard part to get nailed down. if you know your target AC it can be a huge boost of damage by giving a hit and activating Ki-fueled strike. so at what point would just shooting strait up and using focused aim 1 ki match sharpen the blade vs say 17 AC?

Spend 3 kipoints for bow +3, And then left 8 when you need. And kipoints are shortrest depending. So if IT was battle, where monk left all his kipoints, už was tough battle and everyone would have shortrest.