PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite tool proficiencies in 5e?

Rfkannen
2021-01-09, 01:21 PM
Tools are not talked about that much in dnd, but they can add a TON of fun to a character! From woodcrafters tools letting you craft arrows and whittle, to calligraphers tools letting you make fancy books, there are all sorts of fun ways to use proficiencies in tools!

what are your favorite tools? What are your favorite uses of them?

Warder
2021-01-09, 01:32 PM
In the one campaign I played where it mattered (as in, time management was actually part of the package instead of always arriving at your destination precisely when you needed to no matter what), my pick of Cobbler's Tools was actually really useful and prompted a "wait, can you do that?" from our DM :)

Luccan
2021-01-09, 02:20 PM
In the one campaign I played where it mattered (as in, time management was actually part of the package instead of always arriving at your destination precisely when you needed to no matter what), my pick of Cobbler's Tools was actually really useful and prompted a "wait, can you do that?" from our DM :)

Was it the hidden compartments?

Carpenter's and Mason's Tools include most things you need to be a medieval saboteur. They also contain basic tools that don't otherwise have a listed cost

stoutstien
2021-01-09, 02:38 PM
Was it the hidden compartments?

Carpenter's and Mason's Tools include most things you need to be a medieval saboteur. They also contain basic tools that don't otherwise have a listed cost

same section

maintain shoes

24 hours 6 creatures add extra 10 hours of travel speed without con save for exhaustion. can apply as part of a long rest.

Luccan
2021-01-09, 02:55 PM
same section

maintain shoes

24 hours 6 creatures add extra 10 hours of travel speed without con save for exhaustion. can apply as part of a long rest.

Oh, yeah that makes more sense with the rest of the post. Definitely something a lot of DMs wouldn't consider.

Kane0
2021-01-09, 03:29 PM
Mason’s tools when dungeoncrawling is a near must, doubly so if you don’t have a Dwarf in the party. Its at least as important as a crowbar and light source in my experience.
Carpentry proficiency is also very important, if you don’t have magic or a pack animal on hand to haul your loot this is probably your next best option.

When not dungeoncrawling, other than the ubiquitous thievery I find alchemy to open up the most possibilities (carrying heavy venn crossover with herbalism and poisoning kits) followed closely by ‘proper’ literacy (calligraphy/cartography).

I’ve yet to see painting, glassblowing or pottery really pull its weight in comparison, though jewellers is often great for appraising the value of loot (however my table bypasses this if you’re a dragonborn or rogue that gives up Thieves cant).

Basically when possible i try to ensure the whole party has a good spread of skills, like any good heist team.
The craftsman: mason, carpenter, smith
The brains: calligrapher, cartographer, forgery
The pilot: vehicles, navigation
The shady: thieves tools, alchemy, poison, disguise
The fallguy/straightman: brewing, cooking

Gambling and instruments can fit in anywhere really.

Spriteless
2021-01-09, 03:40 PM
Am I allowed to write in Vehicle (air)? Between Ravnica, Eberron, and the spelljamming helm found in published adventures, it could be useful. Plus it is always fun to spend an important resource to set the style of your character.:smallcool:

DwarfFighter
2021-01-10, 05:19 PM
Carpenter is my choice.

Repair anything made of wood, or jury rig stuff you can reinforce with wood. Wood for days.

-DF

msfnc
2021-01-10, 08:17 PM
Leatherworking and Cook’s Utensils have been lots of fun for taking apart fallen monsters. Cook’s also lets you add +1hp per hit die on a short rest (per Xanathar’s).

Verble
2021-01-11, 11:43 PM
This is more story related but I have a character in an upcoming game who is a trained tailor(and spy). This translates as Weaver's Tools. He is well trained with styles and materials. He uses minor illusion to depict outfits before he makes them. This is good cover that gives him access to the rich and powerful.