View Full Version : Optimization Which Subclass/Build Makes the Best Use of the Action Economy?

Yakmala
2021-01-10, 03:53 AM
In your opinion, what subclass or build do you feel consistently makes the best use of the Action Economy?

Great use of the Action Economy, at its core, would mean making use of your Action, Bonus Action and Reaction on a regular basis, and not just situationally. Making exceptional use of your movement, concentration, free actions and passive abilities while making exceptional use of your Action, Bonus Action and Reaction would be even better.

For the sake of this debate, let's avoid UA and stick to published materials.

Coretex
2021-01-10, 04:23 AM
Rogue

Then Monk

There will be surely more nuanced answers with specific subclasses/builds. But at a fundamental level if you want to make the best use of the available actions and are willing to think of creative ways to make that happen Rogue is the class for you. Monk is a good second (although slightly more limited and resource dependant)

Crucius
2021-01-10, 04:30 AM
Artillerist Artificer.

Multiple options for actions.
Multiple options for bonus actions.
A very solid reaction.

I am positively surprised by this (sub)class!

Ir0ns0ul
2021-01-10, 05:50 AM
I don’t know if it counts, but I think Wizard, Druid and Warlock investing in some kind of minionmancy totally generate a lot of value from action economy.

There’s not too much, but several spells make good use of bonus action (Unseen Servant, Expeditious Reatreat, Flaming Sphere, Melf’s Minute Meteor and of course command your regular minions like undead or tiny servant).

Your reaction is pretty dedicated to Shield or Absorb Elements.

Plus you have the additional benefit of “minion actions” like Familiar, Phantom Steed and after first command, undeads and tiny servants.

arnin77
2021-01-10, 04:14 PM
I would add Sorlock:

Twinning Action Spells like Booming Blade; Quickening Eldritch Blast to cast as a bonus action; Reaction Shield, Absorb Elements or Booming blade etc with warcaster.

Rogue always has something to use its bonus action on and uncanny dodge as a reaction is nice too.

Naanomi
2021-01-10, 04:29 PM
I played a spore Druid and never felt like I didn’t have something to do with everything

MrCharlie
2021-01-10, 04:29 PM
Sorcadin with heavy optimization. A few spells quickened along with strong attacks or action spells, full access to the first level reaction abjurations, and some builds even get Warcaster+PAM at higher tiers for off-turn single target nuking. Plus twinned concentration spells with a sorcadins exceptional concentration, and decent movement from find steed mean that even non-action interactions are utilized. It's even freely interacting with allies via the save aura within 10 feet.

Oh, and the sorcadin actually does manage it's object interactions to ensure it can use a shield and cast certain spells, although if this is "efficient" or a result of the classes inefficiency with juggling items is semantics.

It's not sustainable and the build can be messy at certain levels, but if you compare what a class is doing with every action a sorcadin probably tops the charts.

Also, battlemaster fighters can now use their action, bonus action, and reaction to attack very practically with their maneuvers now (via quick toss, riposte, and brace) without burning through a once-per-day resource. I say practically because this is the matter of making class choices, not nutso multi-classes, and hence easier to actually pull off.

Artificers are a final honorable mention-their concentration spells are great, many subclasses grant good bonus actions, several have great reaction spells, and they can often do some neat stuff for other players action economy or movement economy with magic items.

DwarfFighter
2021-01-10, 05:17 PM
Polearm Master is quick to achieve the full spectrum.

Pokey-poke as an Attack Action
Thump as a Bonus Action
Poke as Reaction

With a Pike and a willingness to step out of combat range and subject yourself to the occasional enemy opportunity attack you can usually get all that against enemies willing to move up to engage you.

Frogreaver
2021-01-10, 05:31 PM
In your opinion, what subclass or build do you feel consistently makes the best use of the Action Economy?

Great use of the Action Economy, at its core, would mean making use of your Action, Bonus Action and Reaction on a regular basis, and not just situationally. Making exceptional use of your movement, concentration, free actions and passive abilities while making exceptional use of your Action, Bonus Action and Reaction would be even better.

For the sake of this debate, let's avoid UA and stick to published materials.

One minor nitpick. Everything is situational unless you just mean who can use these actions to dish out the most damage when the enemy is at optimal range.

Quaryon
2021-01-10, 05:51 PM
Artillerist Artificer.

Multiple options for actions.
Multiple options for bonus actions.
A very solid reaction.

I am positively surprised by this (sub)class!

Especially at level 15 when you can make two turrets, which can buff THP -and- deal damage with a single bonus action, every round for 1 hour—honestly, one of the most incredible uses of a bonus action I’ve seen. And you’ve always got Shield as a reaction.

Guardian Armorer is not bad either, with self-buff THP on a bonus action and at level 15 a reaction that can pull an enemy 30ft and give you a melee attack against them. Also you have so many infusions that you might as well have a homunculus you can order to attack or (level 11) cast Shatter as a bonus action.

Frogreaver
2021-01-10, 06:01 PM
My money is on the animate dead Necromancer. While everyone else is worrying about getting a bonus action and reaction to use, I'm setting over here with like 20+ Actions to use by mid level?