PDA

View Full Version : Which are the best spells options for a Fey-touched Warlock?

diplomancer
2021-01-10, 06:34 AM
Or, to put it another way, which are the best upcast spells of 1st level of the Divination/Enchantment schools?

Looks like to me these are the strongest contenders:
-Command
-Bless- but only for large parties
-Bane
-Heroism, if you are expecting a campaign where the Frightened effect is common.

Honourable mention: Gift of alacrity; does not scale, but is SO good for a Warlock that it's still a strong contender if your DM let's you start most days with casting spells and immediately having a Short Rest.

Thoughts?

ff7hero
2021-01-10, 07:27 AM
The 1/LR free cast seems like a strong point in Gift's favor for a Warlock that might be getting overlooked.

stoutstien
2021-01-10, 07:40 AM
dissonant whispers is a strong option as well if you can take advantage of the AOOs.

diplomancer
2021-01-10, 07:41 AM
The 1/LR free cast seems like a strong point in Gift's favor for a Warlock that might be getting overlooked.

Good point; with the 1 "free" SR, that's 3 party members that have this big bonus, two of them for 7 hours, 1 for 8. If you are not "on the clock", there's no real reason to not do it twice at the beginning of the day and cover the whole party with it. Just say you're a late sleeper. Alternatively, go Elf, get the LR benefits in 4 hours, and use the last two hours of the party's LR to buff them.

Gignere
2021-01-10, 08:03 AM
Good point; with the 1 "free" SR, that's 3 party members that have this big bonus, two of them for 7 hours, 1 for 8. If you are not "on the clock", there's no real reason to not do it twice at the beginning of the day and cover the whole party with it. Just say you're a late sleeper. Alternatively, go Elf, get the LR benefits in 4 hours, and use the last two hours of the party's LR to buff them.

Yeah you can cover the whole party with an elf warlock. However can’t pull this off until level 4, unless DM starts with a free feat.

Currently playing an Arcane Trickster and the DM allowed me to pick GoA as the freebie spell at level 3 and it is so good I basically always spend 2 of my 3 slots every day to buff myself and another player. The spell has already paid for itself as there were a few encounters that winning the initiative made the fight go from 3x deadly to something that was fairly easy.

Ir0ns0ul
2021-01-10, 08:19 AM
Command is great, I really like it.

I really like Bless in particular because the bonus to saving throws, for me this is a no brainer at higher levels.

LudicSavant
2021-01-10, 08:24 AM
Or, to put it another way, which are the best upcast spells of 1st level of the Divination/Enchantment schools?

Looks like to me these are the strongest contenders:
-Command
-Bless- but only for large parties
-Bane
-Heroism, if you are expecting a campaign where the Frightened effect is common.

Honourable mention: Gift of alacrity; does not scale, but is SO good for a Warlock that it's still a strong contender if your DM let's you start most days with casting spells and immediately having a Short Rest.

Thoughts?

Gift of Alacrity's scaling comes from the scaling of the extra turns it enables (via winning initiative) and how much you can cast it. It's basically granting a roughly Alert-size initiative bonus to everyone... and you can get the resource back by short resting, while the buff's still going! That's both very effective and very efficient.

Bless is cool and all, but you already have other great Concentration options and upcasting it isn't hyper-valuable unless you have a giant party.

Dissonant Whispers is nice if you've got a team that can really punish that OA-provoking movement, though its upcasting is kinda meh.

Command upcasts for multiple targets and can also cause OA-provoking like Dissonant Whispers, just without the psychic damage. More versatile control, too.

Altogether I think you've got a good list. I'll add another option I haven't seen mentioned yet: Hex can be taken just to give you an extra spell slot and Warlock spell known of your choice.

Mitchellnotes
2021-01-10, 09:21 AM
I think I'd go the other direction. Spells known tends to be less of a restriction than just overall slots. Being able to use misty step without burning a slot is huge, and I would look at the other spell choice the same way. What is a spell that is useful at any level from just a level 1 slot? Depending on your full build, i think i'd go with bless, tasha's hideous laughter or dissonant whispers. If you're playing a lock who really wants to be concentrating on something, I'd go whispers, if you're a lock who has good options for non-concentration spells (fireball from fiend/efreeti, esp in tier 2), id go bless to have a solid buff to fall back on if you run out of fuel. If you'd like to have some backup CC, tasha's isnt a bad pick.