PDA

View Full Version : Is this mechanic familiar?

kieza
2021-01-11, 04:38 AM
Hi all,

I've been thinking about rules-light systems lately, and I've got a mechanic that as far as I know, I didn't crib off of an existing game. Trouble is, I might be wrong. Is anyone familiar with a system that uses mechanics similar to the following?

--Characters have a list of numeric attributes. For each attribute, they have a pool of tokens capped at the value of the attribute (for example, a character with 4 Strength can have up to 4 Strength tokens).
--An attack against another character automatically deals 1 damage. Characters have a flat amount of health, unaffected by attributes.
--However, a character can add more effects to their attacks by wagering tokens or simply discarding them, to, e.g., make the attack deal more damage, inflict status effects, etc.
--The target of an attack can either let the attack happen as planned, or match the tokens wagered by the attacker, in which case there are dice rolls to determine which, if any, of the added effects work.
--You can only wager the tokens from the appropriate pools, e.g. you need to wager Strength tokens to improve melee attacks, and you need to wager Agility tokens to avoid fireballs.
--Important Bit #1: When the target matches the attacker's tokens, the winner of the die roll takes some or all of the tokens wagered by the loser.
--Important Bit #2: If you are attacked and the attacker has added any effects to the attack, you must wager tokens against at least one of them, or you are instantly defeated. E.g. if a dragon breathes fire at you (wagering a token to add the Burning effect to their attack), you need to at least try to counter Burning, or be defeated. If the dragon simply claws at you (no tokens wagered), you don't need to do anything; you can just take the 1 damage.

Ring any bells?