PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A twilight sanctuary - does it dim bright light / sun light

da newt
2021-01-11, 08:23 AM
The Twilight Cleric's Channel Divinity - Twilight Sanctuary creates a 30' radius sphere "filled with dim light."

If you are in an area of bright light / sun light, does this dim the light in the AoE?

Did you just become the Kobold and Shadow Blade EK's best friend? How could you / your party best take advantage of this change in lighting?

Chronic
2021-01-11, 09:34 AM
I'm about to play one, and I'm not sure. As written, I think it override anything, it's magical so seems to trump things like darkness. It might be logical thematically, you illuminate darkness no matter what, but it might be powerful.

Contrast
2021-01-11, 09:42 AM
The ability doesn't say it dims other sources of illumination, just that its filled with dim light. I'd be inclined that RAW sources of bright light would function normally in the area.

Thematically I think it would be hella cool for it to dim bright light in the radius and it makes sense with how the ability is presented so I would probably rule that way.

I'm about to play one, and I'm not sure. As written, I think it override anything, it's magical so seems to trump things like darkness. It might be logical thematically, you illuminate darkness no matter what, but it might be powerful.

Hmm thats actually a good point about Darkness. It is magical and isn't a spell so Darkness wouldn't dispel it.

da newt
2021-01-11, 10:57 AM
This is the essence of my question - do you create an AoE of dim light (similar to AoE for Darkness, Sunlight, Fog, etc) or does this effect only add light to dark conditions?

Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary

At 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to refresh your allies with soothing twilight.
As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light. The sphere moves with you, and it lasts for 1 minute or until you are incapacitated or die. Whenever a creature (including you) ends its turn in the sphere, you can grant that creature one of these benefits:
*You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
*You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

As for TS vs Darkness spell, by my reading TS would counter Darkness.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-01-11, 12:02 PM
Like many 5e rules, the ability is written in such a vague fashion, that each table will have to decide the parameters of how the ability works.

Taking a sputtering candle outside on a bright sunny day, does not reduce the ambient light around you.

If Twilight Sanctuary does reduce illumination, a Drow Twilight Cleric becomes a Sunlight Walker..😉.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-01-11, 12:19 PM
Personally I would rule that it magically sets the current lighting conditions to "dim," is cancelled out by magical light or darkness cast afterwards, and is overruled by higher-level magical light or darkness regardless of timing.

Chronic
2021-01-11, 06:58 PM
Personally I would rule that it magically sets the current lighting conditions to "dim," is cancelled out by magical light or darkness cast afterwards, and is overruled by higher-level magical light or darkness regardless of timing.

Except there is no higher level magical effect, since it's not a spell but a spell like ability. It cannot even be dispelled. However I don't think it's a powerful as most people think outside of a white room scenario. Outside of countering magical darkness, i don't truly see stupid scenarios. It doesn't really help stealthing, since putting a bubble of dim light during the day might makes the party more difficult to distinguish, but it's also a giant sign with "something is weird here, you should definitely check on it".

clash
2021-01-11, 07:26 PM
I would say it does turn bright light into dim. It says "the sphere is filled with dim light". Compare this to darkness which says it "fill a 15ft radius". Now compare to light and daylight spells which both say "sheds bright light" and "sheds dim light". The channel divinity doesn't shed dim light to simply illuminate it fills the area with dim light overriding the lighting conditions in it.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-01-12, 02:52 AM
So could a Vampire Twilight cleric use Twilight Sanctuary to become a 'Daywalker'?
Even dim light, can be sunlight...🧛🏻

Droppeddead
2021-01-12, 03:15 AM
This is the essence of my question - do you create an AoE of dim light (similar to AoE for Darkness, Sunlight, Fog, etc) or does this effect only add light to dark conditions?

As an action, you present your holy symbol, and a sphere of twilight emanates from you. The sphere is centered on you, has a 30-foot radius, and is filled with dim light.

You have your answer right there. the sphere is filled with dim light. What is outside the sphere (daylight, complete darkness, etc) is irrelevant, inside the sphere there is dim light. Which, as a funny side note, means that at level 6 you can fly using this feature and the level 6 ability. :)

MaxWilson
2021-01-12, 03:21 AM
The Twilight Cleric's Channel Divinity - Twilight Sanctuary creates a 30' radius sphere "filled with dim light."

If you are in an area of bright light / sun light, does this dim the light in the AoE?

Did you just become the Kobold and Shadow Blade EK's best friend? How could you / your party best take advantage of this change in lighting?

It's treat it the same as Dancing Lights: it creates dim light, but if the area is already brightly lit it doesn't change anything important, it's still brightly-lit.

Except there is no higher level magical effect, since it's not a spell but a spell like ability. It cannot even be dispelled. However I don't think it's a powerful as most people think outside of a white room scenario. Outside of countering magical darkness, i don't truly see stupid scenarios. It doesn't really help stealthing, since putting a bubble of dim light during the day might makes the party more difficult to distinguish, but it's also a giant sign with "something is weird here, you should definitely check on it".

Dim light is pretty powerful for a Twilight Cleric because it enables bonus action flight.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 03:49 AM
Yeah and it's obviously made to combo with that. And there is little doubt that the level of illumination inside the sphere is set to dim. The only doubt is if anything magical can change that.
and yes it's powerful to be able to fly but it's 1 minute and takes up a precious slot 9f channel divinity, so it's costly.

JoeJ
2021-01-12, 06:05 AM
It doesn't really help stealthing, since putting a bubble of dim light during the day might makes the party more difficult to distinguish, but it's also a giant sign with "something is weird here, you should definitely check on it".

Unless it's only visibly dim from inside the sphere.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 06:50 AM
Which nothing even remotely hint at.

da newt
2021-01-12, 09:07 AM
"there is little doubt that the level of illumination inside the sphere is set to dim."

"it creates dim light, but if the area is already brightly lit it doesn't change anything important, it's still brightly-lit."

Back to Back replies - hence the question. Anyone have a source that backs up their interpretation or is this another RULE that your DM must make a RULING on situation because the printed word is open to numerous interpretations?

Max - if the same exact wording was used, but the effect said 'darkness' instead of 'twilight' and 'dim light' would you change your interpretation so that the effect caused the lighted condition regardless of the pre-existing lighting? If so, then don't you have to also interpret the wording as is, to cause the AoE's lighting condition = dim?

clash
2021-01-12, 09:26 AM
I would say it does turn bright light into dim. It says "the sphere is filled with dim light". Compare this to darkness which says it "fill a 15ft radius". Now compare to light and daylight spells which both say "sheds bright light" and "sheds dim light". The channel divinity doesn't shed dim light to simply illuminate it fills the area with dim light overriding the lighting conditions in it.

I think the verbiage I listed here is good rules book evidence supporting the one view. Beyond that it will come down to a dm ruling.