PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] War Hulk (No Time to Think) + Jack of All Trades?

Thurbane
2021-01-11, 05:11 PM
OK, this question isn't getting much traction in the Q&A, so I'll make a thread.

The War Hulk PrC has the No Time to Think feature, which means you are treated as having 0 ranks in all Int, Wis and Cha based skills (except Intimidate). Am I correct in assuming this means you may not use any of those skills if they are trained only, even if you have ranks in them?

If the answer to that is that you can't use trained only skills, then how does No Time to Think interact with the Jack of All Trades feat, which gives a virtual 1/2 rank in all skills?

Assuming I'm a War Hulk with the Jack of All Trades feat, can I make trained-only checks for Int, Wis and Cha based skills, or no?

Cheers - T

liquidformat
2021-01-11, 07:24 PM
So reading through both the PRC and Feat I would say yes No Time to Think prevents you from using trained only skills and it depends when you took Jack of All Trades feat. If you took Jack of All Trades before war hulking you just shot yourself in the foot, if you took it after war hulking then it works.

Thurbane
2021-01-11, 07:56 PM
So reading through both the PRC and Feat I would say yes No Time to Think prevents you from using trained only skills and it depends when you took Jack of All Trades feat. If you took Jack of All Trades before war hulking you just shot yourself in the foot, if you took it after war hulking then it works.

That seems like a fair reading to me. Thanks. :smallsmile:

liquidformat
2021-01-11, 08:20 PM
yeah I don't see anything about forever more not being able to to use those spells. The one hickup might be that after taking jack of all trades you can't take war hulk levels again or else you loose the feat affect there after due to the wording of No Time to Think 'A character with levels in the war hulk prestige class'. Strangely enough this wording might also mean No Time to Think ability should only comeon if you have two levels of the prc not one level...

FauxKnee
2021-01-12, 12:24 AM
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish with virtual skill ranks, there are a handful of spells that provide similar functionality. Off the top of my head, this includes share talents (PHB2) and combine talents (CM or CA; am AFB), though I believe there are more. The Bardic Knack ACF from the PHB2 might also be useful, though it scales on Bard levels which may not mesh well with War Hulk levels.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-01-12, 01:13 AM
No Time to Think (Ex): A character with levels in the war hulk prestige class is considered to have 0 ranks in all Intelligence-, Wisdom-, and Charisma-based skills (whether or not he has bought ranks in them previously). The only exception is the Intimidate skill, which works normally.

Normal
Without this feat, you can't attempt some skill checks (Decipher Script, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Knowledge, Open Lock, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Tumble, and Use Magic Device) unless you have ranks in the skill.

Jack of All Trades allows you to make checks despite not having ranks. So No Time to Think doesn't have any affect on it whatsoever, because all it does is make you not have any ranks, which is exactly what Jack of All Trades is able to overcome by both RAI and RAW.

Railak
2021-01-12, 11:18 AM
I don't see what the problem is, jack of all trades says you can use all skills as if you had 1/2 rank, not that your considered to have a 1/2 rank. They use completely different wording;
"is considered to have 0 ranks in all Intelligence-, Wisdom-, and Charisma-based skills" (War Hulk)
"You can use any skill as if you had 1/2 rank in that skill" (Jack of All Trades)

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-12, 02:44 PM
It is up to the player (or DM if it is an NPC) to decide the order of the abilities that affect the character (unless rules say otherwise).
Decide the order as you see it fit. Which is most likely to be Jack-of-all-Trades as second/last.