PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mixed Lineage Feat (Peach)

Stattick
2021-01-12, 12:02 AM
Through magic or ancestry, you carry the heritage of more than one race or an additional subtype of your race. This heritage usually marks you as different from your kind in some way, and you may face prejudice because of it. Choose an additional race or racial subtype. You gain:

Increase one ability score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Gain one racial trait of your chosen race or racial subtype.
You count as a member of that race in regards to magic, feat and magic item prerequisites.

You carry the heritage of more than one race in your blood. Choose an additional race. You gain:

Increase one ability score by 1, to a maximum of 20. It must be an ability listed as one your chosen race increases at character creation.
Gain one racial trait of your chosen race.
You count as a member of that race in regards to magic, feat and magic item prerequisites.

Greywander
2021-01-12, 01:46 AM
Increase one ability score by 1, to a maximum of 20. It must be an ability listed as one your chosen race increases at character creation.

As of Tasha's, this is no longer a concern. A +1 bump to any stat should be fine.

Are you sure one trait is enough? This is tricky to balance. I'd be tempted to say give the whole race, but no subrace, but not every race has a subrace. Alternatively, my own attempt at a similar feat gives both race and subrace, but no ASI, and strictly forbids gaining a racial feat this way (since you are, you know, spending a feat to get it). This, though, feels perhaps too strong. So I don't know.

I have a similar feat that gives you a +1 and lets you choose a second subrace. Again, though, the value of this will vary from race to race.

Eh, your version is probably better tuned than mine. Most races only have a few real traits anyway, once you rule out things like size, speed, alignment, age, and languages. It does mean that there will be some traits that are clearly stronger than others.

JNAProductions
2021-01-12, 07:31 PM
As of Tasha's, this is no longer a concern. A +1 bump to any stat should be fine.

Are you sure one trait is enough? This is tricky to balance. I'd be tempted to say give the whole race, but no subrace, but not every race has a subrace. Alternatively, my own attempt at a similar feat gives both race and subrace, but no ASI, and strictly forbids gaining a racial feat this way (since you are, you know, spending a feat to get it). This, though, feels perhaps too strong. So I don't know.

I have a similar feat that gives you a +1 and lets you choose a second subrace. Again, though, the value of this will vary from race to race.

Eh, your version is probably better tuned than mine. Most races only have a few real traits anyway, once you rule out things like size, speed, alignment, age, and languages. It does mean that there will be some traits that are clearly stronger than others.

Such as Gnomish Cunning or Magic Resistance.

Stattick
2021-01-13, 02:19 AM

I'd gone with the leaning into the racial stereotypes with the feat, but after reconsideration, I changed it to a mere +1 to any stat.

Honestly, most races don't have more than a couple really good racial abilities. A few have several though. If you open it up to more than one racial ability, you're encouraging power-gaming. The player is already getting a full compliment of abilities from their starting race. Imagine being able to combine all the racial abilities of both the Half-Elf and Satyr or Yuan-ti.

Such as Gnomish Cunning or Magic Resistance.

Or adding Winged Flight on a Tiefling that already has Infernal Legacy or Drow Magic to a High Elf. Or you could pick up Darkvision for your Satyr and the ability to pick up Elf feats.