PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weird Question (Flamboyant Arcana + Flying Kick)

BlueWitch
2021-01-12, 09:18 PM
Can a Magus using Flying Kick (the Unchained Monk ability) also use Flamboyant Arcana to deflect an Attack of Opportunity made against her, while she's attacking?

(Here's the Sequence of Events:)

1st.) The Magus (w/Monk levels) decides to use Flying Kick to Flurry. (Target is 20ft. Away)

2nd.) The enemy has a Reach Weapon. She's Flying through the air about to kick him. He get's an Attack of Opportunity.

3rd.) The Magus has Flamboyant Arcana. So can she ATTEMPT to block his attack and continue with her Kick/Flurry?

or

Would even using Flamboyant Arcana, mid turn end the Flurry? Can she even do this at all? She's in the middle of another action after all.

Seto
2021-01-13, 08:16 AM
I don't see why not.

If your last point is what's tripping you up, the real question is: can you use Opportune Parry and Riposte on your turn, in response to an AoO? If you can (and I would rule that yes, you can), then being in the middle of an action (kick and flurry) doesn't matter, because by definition any AoO interrupts you in the middle of an action, whether that action be movement, casting a spell, standing up from prone or Flying Kick. So if you can use Flamboyant Arcana in response to an AoO, there's nothing that makes Flying kick different from other situations.

I'd honestly be less sure if you wanted to follow up your parry with a riposte, because riposte is an immediate action, as opposed to parrying which, although it requires an attack roll, is a non-action. But just the parry? I'd allow it. It has the bonus of being very cinematic: you jump at your opponent, foot first. With your other foot or a hand, you thrust aside the long blade mid-air, or even step on it for added momentum, before kicking your opponent in the jaw with your main foot. Very anime. (I say this as a good thing, it's pretty much what the Unchained Monk does anyway)

Kurald Galain
2021-01-13, 08:31 AM
Yes, she can.

The rules for both AOOs and immediate actions point out that yes, you can use those during your own turn. Also, you can take actions "in the middle" of other actions; e.g. it's common to take a 5-step or a swift in the middle of a full attack.

Speaking of cinematic, today's Kill Six Billion Demons (https://killsixbilliondemons.com/) shows an example of precisely this stunt.

BlueWitch
2021-01-13, 10:47 AM
I don't see why not.

If your last point is what's tripping you up, the real question is: can you use Opportune Parry and Riposte on your turn, in response to an AoO? If you can (and I would rule that yes, you can), then being in the middle of an action (kick and flurry) doesn't matter, because by definition any AoO interrupts you in the middle of an action, whether that action be movement, casting a spell, standing up from prone or Flying Kick. So if you can use Flamboyant Arcana in response to an AoO, there's nothing that makes Flying kick different from other situations.

I'd honestly be less sure if you wanted to follow up your parry with a riposte, because riposte is an immediate action, as opposed to parrying which, although it requires an attack roll, is a non-action. But just the parry? I'd allow it. It has the bonus of being very cinematic: you jump at your opponent, foot first. With your other foot or a hand, you thrust aside the long blade mid-air, or even step on it for added momentum, before kicking your opponent in the jaw with your main foot. Very anime. (I say this as a good thing, it's pretty much what the Unchained Monk does anyway)

Yes, she can.

The rules for both AOOs and immediate actions point out that yes, you can use those during your own turn. Also, you can take actions "in the middle" of other actions; e.g. it's common to take a 5-step or a swift in the middle of a full attack.

Speaking of cinematic, today's Kill Six Billion Demons (https://killsixbilliondemons.com/) shows an example of precisely this stunt.

Thank you guys for your responses! Glad I'm not the only one who thought Yes to this!