PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item that grants Death Ward?

jaappleton
2021-01-13, 11:14 AM
I've been going through the books and I can't seem to find one.

Is there one?

If not, what rarity would you put it at? Attunement, yes or no? Its a 4th level spell but also replicated by Half Orcs, a new Pact of the Tome invocation (an improved version, actually), and Long Death Monk also gets it just by spending a single Ki point, I think.

No brains
2021-01-13, 11:37 AM
Well there's a spell scroll of Death Ward... but I suppose you mean something that passively grants Death Ward.

Periapt of Wound Closure comes close, I guess. It doesn't do exactly the same thing, but it's a reasonable approximation without having to bake in rules about the spell ending then recharging.

If I were to make something that's essentially Death Ward until triggered, I'd probably go at least rare and requiring attunement. I would also have the item break when its triggered. This is based off a spell scroll of Death Ward being a rare item to start with. I think an attunement and an automatic, but uncontrollable usage is a fair trade for expecting to use it within the next hour and deciding to expend the scroll.

I might go very rare for one that doesn't break and comes back on a long rest. Sure classes and races can replicate it, but earning that is part of a larger investment. Getting this benefit with no strings attached is at least as valuable as a Ring of Regeneration or Wand of Polymorph.

MaxWilson
2021-01-13, 11:45 AM
I've been going through the books and I can't seem to find one.

Is there one?

If not, what rarity would you put it at? Attunement, yes or no? Its a 4th level spell but also replicated by Half Orcs, a new Pact of the Tome invocation (an improved version, actually), and Long Death Monk also gets it just by spending a single Ki point, I think.

Tasha's has Lifewell Tattoo which replicates a better version of half-orc. It's Very Rare. Also grants resistance to necrotic. Unlike Death Ward, does not work against death magic (Orcus' PWK).