PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A can players use the skeleton templates in libris mortis

newguydude1
2021-01-13, 11:51 AM
like the flaming skeleton one.

The_Jette
2021-01-13, 03:02 PM
like the flaming skeleton one.

They can if their DM allows it.

Particle_Man
2021-01-13, 10:25 PM
Flaming skeleton template? Where is that?

newguydude1
2021-01-14, 05:53 AM
Flaming skeleton template? Where is that?

p.162 libris mortis

SKELETON VARIANTS
The skeleton is a staple of the fantasy genre, common to horrorand action-style games alike. To add some spice to the skeleton, try adding these variants to your game.

Fiery Skeleton
A fiery skeleton burns with unquenchable flame. Variants of the fiery skeleton include the lightning skeleton (deals electricity damage, immunity to electricity) and the frost skeleton (deals cold damage, immunity to cold).
Attack: A fiery skeleton’s natural attacks deal an additional 1d6 points of fire damage.
Special Qualities: Fiery skeletons have immunity to fire, but do not have immunity to cold.
CR Adjustment: +1/2

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-14, 06:28 AM
p.162 libris mortis

hm... side question:
Does anything stop me from creating Fiery Skeletons with Animate Dead? As far as I see it, AD doens't have any template restrictions.

I'm already thinking about a warlock with The Dead Walk (standard action Animate Dead invocation) to have fun^^.

newguydude1
2021-01-14, 06:29 AM
hm... side question:
Does anything stop me from creating Fiery Skeletons with Animate Dead? As far as I see it, AD doens't have any template restrictions.

I'm already thinking about a warlock with The Dead Walk (standard action Animate Dead invocation) to have fun^^.

its not a side question. is the main question.

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-14, 06:36 AM
its not a side question. is the main question.

I thought the main question was: if it is a legal race/template choice for players. But I may be wrong here, dunno. You didn't specify if you intent to use it as your PC race or as minion for his PC. You only said, that you wants to "use it as player".

Edit: gramma: switched the person from he to you.

Remuko
2021-01-14, 12:58 PM
p.162 libris mortis

That ice skeleton variant seems weird. It calls out that the icy one has immunity to cold, but ALL skeletons have immunity to cold (unless stated otherwise like with fiery skeleton), so it seems like its not getting much out of it.

Particle_Man
2021-01-14, 01:36 PM
I was confused too but unless there is an intelligent skeleton to begin with via awaken undead or the like there is not much to do in role playing something with no int score, whether flaming or not.

KillianHawkeye
2021-01-14, 01:41 PM
Unfortunately, there's no explicit means listed for creating any of the variant undead types in Libris Mortis. It requires some amount of DM adjucation.

Segev
2021-01-14, 01:43 PM
In Pathfinder, the skeleton variants they created generally can be made with animate dead by doubling the number of HD they count as towards both creation limit and control cap. THat may be a useful guideline in 3.5, as well.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-14, 01:46 PM
A sufficiently high Knowledge (Religion) check should be table to tell you if such skeletons exist in-setting and where to find them. Then, Command Undead can get you as many as you can juggle the duration for.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-01-14, 01:51 PM
I'd allow it, but require an additional material component, such as a scroll of a thematic spell (Burning Hands or similar for flaming skeleton) with a minimum caster level of the total HD to be animated. So if you wanted to make a Flaming Troll Skeleton (6 HD) you would need a caster level 6th+ scroll of a 1st level or higher fire spell. As an additional component, it would be consumed as part of casting Animate Dead.

Segev
2021-01-14, 01:51 PM
A sufficiently high Knowledge (Religion) check should be table to tell you if such skeletons exist in-setting and where to find them. Then, Command Undead can get you as many as you can juggle the duration for.

Extend chain command undead will maximize the mileage you get, here. That's a 6th level spell slot if you don't pick yourself up some Slaymates (also from Libris Mortis), though. I recommend four of them, getting their loyalty through Diplomacy if possible, and command undead if not. (If you use command undead, then treat them well and try to earn their loyalty so it sticks if the spell is ever broken, but all you REALLY need from them is them standing around while you prepare your spells.) Extend chain command undead will get you CL+1 undead with a single casting, and last 2xCL days. Note that mindless undead get no save and simply obey slavishly. Also, command undead works per-target, so you can have massive-HD skeletons or zombies controlled with it without worrying about control caps.