PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How can a Mystic Ranger gain access to Summon Monster Spells?

liquidformat
2021-01-13, 02:22 PM
So I am wanting to gain access to Nar Demonbinder as a Mystic Ranger and was wondering what are some ways to pickup any of the Summon Monster spells on my spell list?

updates:

Sword of Arcane Order Feat
1 level dip cleric
prc that gives Summoning/Summoner Domain?

ezekielraiden
2021-01-13, 03:17 PM
If you have a permissive DM who ignores the FAQ regarding the Extra Spell feat, that could be an option.

Alternatively, one level of Cleric (or any PrC that grants a choice of domain) could get you the Summoner domain (Spell Compendium, p. 281), which would give you the ability to cast at least summon monster I via domain slot.

Beyond that...it's pretty hard to gain access to spells that aren't on a divine spell list. If the Mystic Ranger were an arcane class, it would be easy to add a domain via Arcane Disciple for the aforementioned domain.

liquidformat
2021-01-13, 04:10 PM
If you have a permissive DM who ignores the FAQ regarding the Extra Spell feat, that could be an option.

Alternatively, one level of Cleric (or any PrC that grants a choice of domain) could get you the Summoner domain (Spell Compendium, p. 281), which would give you the ability to cast at least summon monster I via domain slot.

Beyond that...it's pretty hard to gain access to spells that aren't on a divine spell list. If the Mystic Ranger were an arcane class, it would be easy to add a domain via Arcane Disciple for the aforementioned domain.

Yeah it is too bad that there isn't a 'devoted disciple' feat that gives access to a domain's spell list for divine casters, that would be useful...

A.A.King
2021-01-13, 04:38 PM
If I remember correctly, Spell Like Abilities help you qualify for prestige classess if the prestige class is looking for a specific spell rather than a spell of a specific level. The question is if "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell." should be read as "being able to cast any Summon Monster spell" and is therefor similarly opened up by having an appropiate SLA OR if it should be taken more restrively and only accept classes that can cast a summon monster spell as an actual spell.

The "Touch of Summoning" feat from the Player's Guide to Eberron gives you Summon Monster I (Fiendish Creatures only) as an SLA 1/Day.

Contemplative would give you access to a bonus domain at level 1, but it has to be a domain granted by your deity and would at the earliest be available at level 11

ezekielraiden
2021-01-13, 04:57 PM
If I remember correctly, Spell Like Abilities help you qualify for prestige classess if the prestige class is looking for a specific spell rather than a spell of a specific level. The question is if "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell." should be read as "being able to cast any Summon Monster spell" and is therefor similarly opened up by having an appropiate SLA OR if it should be taken more restrively and only accept classes that can cast a summon monster spell as an actual spell.

The "Touch of Summoning" feat from the Player's Guide to Eberron gives you Summon Monster I (Fiendish Creatures only) as an SLA 1/Day.

Contemplative would give you access to a bonus domain at level 1, but it has to be a domain granted by your deity and would at the earliest be available at level 11

I'm pretty sure the fact that it uses the phrase "knowledge of," rather than "ability to cast," precludes SLA methods. But if a DM gives the okay on that, it would actually be a very fitting option, a taste of control over the fiendish leading into what is to come.

A.A.King
2021-01-13, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the fact that it uses the phrase "knowledge of," rather than "ability to cast," precludes SLA methods. But if a DM gives the okay on that, it would actually be a very fitting option, a taste of control over the fiendish leading into what is to come.

Maybe, but "knowledge of" is a rather unique requirement that to my knowledge is not found on any other class. Surely if you have inate ability to summon a monster with your SLA you have the knowledge of a summon monster spell. For that matter, an argument could be made that a high enough rank in spellcraft/knowledge (arcana) would suffiece. "I have knowledge of a summon monster spell, that one dude 3 levels ago used it against us an almost killed our rogue with it"

Ultimately it depends on the DM, but I think Touch of Summoning should statisfy the "Summon Monster" requirement of the Nar Demonbinder class, because, as you say, it would be very thematic.

ezekielraiden
2021-01-13, 05:38 PM
Maybe, but "knowledge of" is a rather unique requirement that to my knowledge is not found on any other class. Surely if you have inate ability to summon a monster with your SLA you have the knowledge of a summon monster spell. For that matter, an argument could be made that a high enough rank in spellcraft/knowledge (arcana) would suffiece. "I have knowledge of a summon monster spell, that one dude 3 levels ago used it against us an almost killed our rogue with it"

Ultimately it depends on the DM, but I think Touch of Summoning should statisfy the "Summon Monster" requirement of the Nar Demonbinder class, because, as you say, it would be very thematic.

Actually, the Archmage PrC (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) (from the SRD and 3.5e DMG) uses an equivalent requirement. "Spells: Ability to cast 7th-level arcane spells, knowledge of 5th-level or higher spells from at least five schools." (There's also stuff like the Frostburn Frost Mage PrC, which grants knowledge of the conjure ice beast spell line--in theory the Wiz/Sorc who got in already had the ability to cast it, but the class provides the knowledge of how to do so.) This doesn't mean that SLAs definitely wouldn't count, but it does mean that "knowledge of" a spell is a distinct requirement/status.