PDA

View Full Version : IC - Lost Mines of Phandelver

Oseyerys
2021-01-13, 06:15 PM
https://thetyrannyofdragons.weebly.com/uploads/3/1/6/1/31618623/7576071_orig.png

If one were to ask a native of the Sword Coast what the best way to travel would be, undoubtedly their response would be to walk the High Road that connects cities from Luskan in the north, through Neverwinter, past Waterdeep, and curling all the way to Baldur's Gate in the south. It's a common road for caravans of merchants, traveling ambassadors, and aspiring adventurers to walk in search of making names for themselves. On this particular day in Faerun, while the sun is beating down on the well-worn dirt road causing cicadas to hum in the air, perhaps through the will of the gods, or simply happenstance, various destinies are on the brink of merging. For a lesser traveled road branches off the High Road, one that is quite literally "off the beaten path" that leads towards the small frontier settlement of Phandalin. This is not a path for ambassadors. This is not a path for common folk to "sight see". This is rarely even a path for merchants. No, this path is for those hearty, or foolish enough to chase their dreams of riches and glory. This is a path for adventurers who wish to carve their name into history. It is this road that a handful of individuals, each coming from a different walk of life, are approaching. This is where their journey begins...

Players if you would like to describe your characters and what they're doing on the road please :smallsmile:

Imbalance
2021-01-13, 08:18 PM
What's in the box?

The road is hot, but not as hot as the river had been. Torinn of Clan Nemmonis trudges along, head down, itinerant. He huffs, partly at the heat, partly under the load of the luggage on his shoulder, but mostly to express his annoyance at the question posed by the vexing voice that only he can hear. In the midst of a deep exhalation, he mutters a snide reply.

"For the one hundredth time, it's the gear the dwarves gave us..." He takes a breath and corrects himself, "-me! The stuff they gave me to hopefully get rid of you!"

He doesn't usually lose his temper, but it had been a long journey with little rest, and without a suitable prospect in the city he was down to his last silver. And the voice - seemingly sourced from the mottled red stone hung about his neck - had reduced him to his last nerve. He quickly looks about to see if anyone heard but catches no one staring. Surely the pair of Elves he noticed earlier would have had some comment, but he lost track of them, now unaware if they were ahead or behind. It was the same with the human he thought might be a priest or something and the Dwarf he meant to speak with. When it comes to socializing, traveling companions come and go too frequently for Torinn, but he could certainly do without the uninvited conversation of his disembodied acquaintance.

When at last he comes to the branch from the High Road, he pauses. Torinn had been told that for his best chance at finding anything in the Sword Mountains, he should ask around at Leilon, Triboar, or Phandalin. He had been distracted so often, he only now realizes that he still needs to decide where to start. He reasons that since Phandalin lies somewhat in the middle of the three, he'll head that way first and radiate outward. With luck, he'll find this shrine or temple, whatever, and the wise clerics of Sardior will unburden him of this unavailing spirit before it asks any more stupid questions. Before that, though, he needs to find a job.

Torinn stretches his sandy-colored chin and raises his burgundy eyes to the sun for a second, rolls his shoulder muscles causing the coils of his mail to clink against the Dwarven shield and axe strapped to his back for travel, and shifts the chest to the other shoulder so that the edge stops rubbing his neck scales for a spell, then carries on.

JNAProductions
2021-01-13, 09:50 PM
Heart is humming to herself as she comes near the dragonborn on the road. "Hello there, fellow traveler!" she calls out. "On the trail to Phandalin?" she asks.

When he turns to face the voice, he sees a short tabaxi woman-not more than five feet tall, with auburn fur. Her eyes are a piercing green, and she's dressed in comfortable, well-fitted leathers. She has plenty of pockets, as well as a shortbow strapped to her back and a rapier on her side. "And who you talking to? I hope the heat's not getting to you."

Imbalance
2021-01-13, 10:43 PM
Torinn was about to be terse again when he considers that this smallish person may have actually spoken to him. Verbally. He commits to a reply, "yes," before regretting that he might have already divulged too much information to some sort of trickster fey, and he was not prepared for that kind of foolery this day. But in a moment he regarded her fully, and felt embarrassed at not having noticed her sooner. Perhaps that had been her design, but he relaxed and humbled himself as he continued.

"I've never been there before. Uh...you must have heard me cursing my poor navigation - it's not the heat... Is that where you're going?"

JNAProductions
2021-01-13, 10:47 PM
Heart nods. "I've become aware of some dwarves needing help there. I know some dwarves from my home-traveling merchants-so I'm curious if this group here is related at all. I know that the clans have a lot of family ties amongst themselves, but you enver know."

Zero Prime
2021-01-14, 12:20 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/28w8p2ns/Warrior-Elf.jpg
Tharandiir al'Iriden, Knight of Myth Drannor (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2374723)
AC: 17 (18) | HP: 11 | CURRENT: 11 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 12 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 10 | INSPIRATION: None.
ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
CONDITIONS: None.

Tharandiir surveyed the road, the Lady Feliicissima revealed the purpose of their travel, merely that her duty demand she travel the High Road north, towards the Blackford Road. The knight-aspirant did not like the fact that his charge concealed the purpose of the journey, however, given her noble birth, and her demeanor he decided it was better to observe, and wait to determine the Lady's motives on his own. As they crested a hill, he saw two figures on the road ahead, both shorter, one thing and wiry, the other stocky and broad. He placed a hand across the road, cautioning Maecilla to proceed with caution, his hand on the hilt of his sword, he approached, his shield at the ready, speaking in common, "Greetings travelers, what purpose brings you to this harsh branch of the High Road?"

The man addressing Heart and Torinn was a tall slender elf, with hair of pale gold, long and worn in an intricate braid. He wore tooled leather armor, decorated with delicate boughs, leaves and vines that commonly adorned elven crafts. A cloak of midnight blue fell from his shoulders, and the shield facing the pair was blue, with a series of crescent moons and stars designating it's bearer as a member of a knighthood dedicated to the Seldarine, the lords and ladies of the elven people.

Imbalance
2021-01-14, 10:26 AM
Before he can converse and expound on his own Dwarvish connections, Torinn hears a clear voice and looks toward the source. At first he is relieved that there is, indeed, someone there to speak it, until he notices the Elf's stance. Were these the two from earlier? Probably not, unless they changed clothes. The guards at Neverwinter had posted warnings about bandits, but he didn't think to expect this.

Somewhat instinctively, he steps to place himself between the Tabaxi he just met and the approaching swordsman.

"My purpose is my own, and includes self-preservation. I mean you no harm, but if you draw...so shall I," he states, calmly, with full eye contact.

JNAProductions
2021-01-14, 12:14 PM
"We're not enemies here," Heart says. "There's no need for any of us to be hostile. So, hello there, stranger! I am Heart, and this is... Hrm, I don't think we actually properly introduced ourselves to one another, my scaled friend!"

Awful
2021-01-14, 07:27 PM
"Oh, come now, al'Iriden," interjected an amused voice. It was a softly musical voice, in that way that elven voices so often were, with the iron-precise pronunciation of those who depend on clear syllables to prevent their spells from exploding them into a shade of the colour blue. "Lower your shield, we'll look like boors."

The speaker was a tiny, delicate being, almost ethereal. The high elf, Lady Maecillia Vitalis Felicissima, was a scant couple of inches above four feet tall; her hair was a deep golden shine, her eyes a molten gold in a heart-shaped alabaster face shadowed by a highly fashionable red-and-gold sunhat. The gold thread woven into her fine crimson silk longcoat glinted in patterns of floral patterns in the parching sun, and she took enough light steps forward she could proffer the back of her gauntleted hand. The signet ring on her slender armoured finger caught the light as she offered her hand for the strange pair to kiss.

She looked terribly young and fragile to be out on the roads with but a single knight - no matter how proficient - for her protection, and most elves would agree that she was, though she was older than both the beings before her put together.

"I," she said grandly, her air still amused like a cat cornering a mouse, "am the Lady Maecillia Vitalis Felicissima, scion of House Felicissima." Her tone turned even more mischeveous. "My friends call me Mae, so you may, of course, address me as milady or Lady Felicissima. This tall and dangerous fellow here is the good knight Tharandiir al'Iriden, a knight of Myth Drannor."

JNAProductions
2021-01-14, 07:46 PM
Heart steps towards the knight. "Tharandiir, do you have a nickname? It's a bit of a mouthful to manage all the time. But it's a pleasure to meet you!" she says, holding her hand out for a shake.

She doesn't acknowledge the presence of the snooty Lady, preferring instead to be with those who are more friendly.

Now, I 100% don't want any major IC conflicts. But Heart is a very down-to-earth person, and so doesn't really truck well with snooty nobility.

When we get into fights, you can be assured that Heart will fight claw and bow to keep the Lady safe, as well as everyone else. But if she acts snooty, she'll get the sass. :P

Kvard51
2021-01-14, 10:02 PM
Durnik Coppersmith felt like he was he was making good time. Since he had been contacted by Gundren Rockseeker about meeting him in Phandalin for some work, he had managed to get his kit together and make it from Neverwinter all the way to the turn-off that would lead to his destination. He smiled to himself, proud of his progress. The smile faded, though, as he approached the fork and saw what appeared to be a standoff between two elves, a Dragonborn, and one of the cat people. Not wanting to be held up by a pitched battle in the middle of the High Road, he decides to stick his nose where it really doesn't belong...

"Well met, fellow travelers! Where might ye be headed on such a fine, sunny day?"

Zero Prime
2021-01-14, 11:26 PM
Tharandiir al'Iriden, Knight of Myth Drannor (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2374723)

In response to the tabaxi's comment, Tharandiir arched a pale, flawless brow, "A nick ... name?" He paused, to consider the request, "I am afraid I am unsure of what you mean, in my culture we address our peers by their given name," he once again spoke his name, enunciating it clearly. "I apologize if my trade speak is accented, I am not often given cause to speak the language of the younger races."

He lowered his shield, however, those with training in the warrior's arts would quickly realize he had not entirely lowered his defenses, given his stance, and position in relation to the Lady Felicissima. The interaction was interrupted by a dwarf, and the tall elf only nodded in his direction. "Greetings to you Master Dwarf." He looked to the younger elf cautiously, curious what she would think of the coincidental meeting between strangers.

JNAProductions
2021-01-14, 11:39 PM
She nods, and says, in Elvish...

"If you'd like to be addressed by Tharandiir, that's alright. But are there any abbreviations you're comfortable with?"

She then switches to Dwarven, addressing the newcomer.

"Hello, friend! We're traveling... Erm, wait,"

Finally, she goes back into the Common tongue, and says "Both my scaly friend and I are on our way to Phandalin. We've our own reasons, but traveling is both safer and more enjoyable with company. With that in mind, I've no objections to you friendly folk joining us."

Imbalance
2021-01-15, 01:08 AM
"Friend? I..."

"Boars...? Mae, I..."

"Thar...an...deer..."

"Ah, well m..."

"Younger races...?"

"Speaking Elvish and Dwarvish...?"

Doing his best to keep up, Torinn finally looked to get a word in and introduce himself when it happened again. "Whisht!" he hushes. "I'm with people now!"

He sighs with embarrassment, gently sets his luggage down, and bows to all, saying, "My apologies. I am Nemmonis, my clan, of the Dragonborn of Tymanther. Torinn is my given name. I, too, am on my way to Phandalin, and would be honored to share the road if you'll have me."

Zero Prime
2021-01-15, 02:29 PM

Tharandiir inclined his head slightly as the others introduced themselves, a measure of respect, or at the very least, understanding between those gathered at the crossroads. He pasued as the tabaxi, Heart, and the Dragonborn, Torin spoke. Considering their words, he looked sternly towards his charge, and then back to the travelers.

"It is amendable, we will acompany you as far as this, Phandalin. It is true, there are those who would, foolishly, seek to delay Lady Felicissima's progress, and, as stated, there is strength in numbers to deter those who seek to do so." He moved towards the vanguard of the group, his shield still ready, but his eyes now did not scan his companions, but the road as he continued to move forward.

Eventually he pulled even with the dragon kin, "Torrin, of Clan Nemmonis, of the Tyrmanthir dragonborn." Another respectful nod, "If it so please, tell me of yourself, I know little of your people, and less of yourself. Conversation shortens the road, and strengthens the bond, yes?"

JNAProductions
2021-01-15, 02:31 PM
Heart lets herself fall a little behind the knight, walking with a spring in her step. "I'm interested too. Tell us about yourself-whatever you'd like to share."

Imbalance
2021-01-15, 09:16 PM
Following Tharandiir's lead, Torinn dons his shield before hoisting the trunk again. He felt that the less said, the better, but upon the prodding of two fellow travelers, he acquiesces.

"Well, miss, sir, while mine is a proud line of freedom fighters who have deposed tyrants and thwarted slavers, that was a long time ago on another world. My entire country was transposed to this land before my time, and although your world has been spared the devastation of draconian rule, it does have its own share of turmoil, as I've found." He warms to his theme with each step, eventually divulging a bit of his respectable (though not too adventurous) resumé.

"It was my understanding that the elders of my clan meant for me to have more of a diplomatic role when I agreed to hire on with the Gauntlgrym Dwarves, but my services ended up being more...hands on. Although I was occasionally consulted as a voice of my kin, it was more often my honor to present the merits of my people by hunting monsters in the old mines, helping to rescue miners from cave-ins, or even do some digging myself. Where some may be overtaxed or even harmed working beneath a live volcano, my ancestry made me an asset, and I strove for excellence in all that they asked of me."

A sly grin grew toward the sides of his face as he added, "but I especially enjoyed comparing wrestling moves with those stout folk. Strong, they are. I'm not too proud to admit that on more than one occasion, I was bested by as few as three Dwarves. Ha! Glorious sport, wrestling!" he proclaims. "Tell me, good knight, what sort of competitions do you enjoy? Are you a wrestler?"

Zero Prime
2021-01-16, 12:54 PM

Tharandiir listened astutely as the dragon-blooded warrior spoke, an envoy of his people sent to live amongst the dwarven kind as an ambassador, and warden to those he served. Interesting indeed. As the talk moved to wrestling, the tall, lithe elf simply shook his head, "Nothing so brutal as wrestling I am afraid. I practise the courtly arts," a note of arrogance perhaps, "I studied at the arcanuum, to avail myself of the theorems of magick and sorcery, poetry, dance, and the harp. Proficient with bow, spear and blade, I have participated in many a hunt through the Cormanthyr forests, and find a certain joy in the quiet solitude of nature, and a majesty in one's quarry." He grew sullen as he talked of his home Myth Drannor, the full, dark knowledge of it's fall still weighing heavily upon his mind.

An attempt to shine light on the shadows of his mind, he changed the subject. "And while my home is no longer, some of her arts have been preserved, including," he patted his backpack gently, "a bottle of fine elven wine I would be honored to share with my companions once we reach our destination."

JNAProductions
2021-01-16, 01:16 PM
"I've never drank before," Heart comments. "Well, that's a lie-I've tried some dwarven ales, that traders have brought, but they're not for me. I lack the iron constitution needed to enjoy the flavor."

On Torinn's story about needing to be taken on by three dwarves at once to lose.

Oh look at that, Heart believes him entirely. :P

Awful
2021-01-16, 08:42 PM
Mae gave a tinkling laugh, raising her gauntlet to cover her mouth.
"Ah, well," she said airily. "One can't expect manners from a cat."

As the dwarf arrived, her glance slid between the dragonborn, the tabaxi, the dwarf, and her own companion. It was a delightfully disparate group.
"My, my, quite the little group we're assembling. Well, it's more interesting than open road, at least."

She listened in with interest to the dragonborn's little speech, but her golden eyes were watching the dwarf. She was amusing herself by clicking her fingers, and opening her hand to reveal a tiny gold statuette of the dwarf - seemingly practicing giving it finer and finer details before each time it crumbled into dull dust after a few seconds, blowing away in a non-existant wind. Such little trinkets were easy to make - but making something last was harder indeed.
"Oh, yes. Your kind were transposed here during the Spellplague, if I recall. Interesting stuff," she said neutrally to the dragonborn. "I have made some small study of magic myself, you see. I always found it much more preferable to hitting people with sharpened bits of metal - or, indeed, wrestling with them."

JNAProductions
2021-01-16, 11:52 PM
Heart says "I give everyone their due respect. A presumption of respect, unearned, is a sure sign that someone's a bit too full of themselves. You might be from noble stock, but it's noble deeds and a valorous heart that make someone great; not blood thin as water."

Zero Prime
2021-01-17, 07:50 AM

Tharandiir cast a withering glare at the rogue, speaking in elven, "Caution tabaxi, despite your knowledge of our language, you do not know our people. You address a noble of House Felicissima, seventh among the great houses of the Tel'Quessir. One would do well to show a scion of the High Houses respect." His face softened as he switched back to the common tongue, "Please."

JNAProductions
2021-01-17, 01:18 PM
"Just because someone has noble standing does not mean they should look down on others. A good royal knows their job is to help the people, not to lord over them. But..." she says. "I might've come across a little harsh. Maybe we can start again."

Heart clears her throat, and turns to face the elvish woman. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Heart Cliff, daughter to the shaman of the Cliff tribe. And you are?"

Imbalance
2021-01-17, 03:15 PM
While Torinn had been schooled in the history of his own people and theories about how they came to exist on this world, most of the details of how this land had been scarred has only been revealed to him during his travels. He notices the Elf's demeanor, not fully familiar with those place names, but with empathy for their plight. He quietly hopes that Tymanther is not widely viewed as part of the cause of such calamitous events.

Torinn nods in approval at the lady's and her protector's thirst for excellence, then grins with amusement at the further interaction between these highbrows and the brash and inquisitive Tabaxi. He also comes to realize that he hadn't heard the name of the last fellow to join them, so he turns to the Dwarf as the others carry on.

Gesturing, he inquires of Durnik, "has your prior journey been as lively as this?" Then, in Dwarvish, "how is it with your clan, sir?"

Awful
2021-01-17, 05:33 PM
The aforementioned noble of House Felicissima, seventh among the great houses of the Tel'Quessir, gave an amused little chuckle. This time, she gave a tiny bow - barely more than an incline, but to do more would be incorrect for their relative positions.
"Well met, Heart of the Cliff Tribe. I am the Lady Maecillia Vitalis Felicissima, noble and arcanist, scion of the honoured House Felicissima, otherwise known as the House of the Long Dawn or theShining House."

JNAProductions
2021-01-17, 05:48 PM
"What brings you out here?" Heart asks as the group walks. "My mother is, as I mentioned, the shaman of my tribe. She foretells the future, in broad strokes, at least. But I wasn't gifted with the Sight she has. So she and Agate, who leads our tribe, decided with me that I should travel, as Agate did in his youth. I mean, he's pushing 80, so he wants to have someone else who's been around to be able to advise the tribe when he passes. So here I am, traveling the world, meeting new people, making new friends, and all that good stuff."

Kvard51
2021-01-18, 04:16 AM
Durnik watched the interplay between the Tabaxi and the two elves with a slight scowl. Both races tended to arrogance, and he was watching it in action right in front of him at a dusty crossroad. He turned to the Dragonborn, "And a good day to you, sir. You should visit the dwarves of Mirabar. It's possible you might lose a fall to as few as two dwarves, or even one! The dwarves of Mirabar are from heartier stock, I'm sure, than those what comes from Guantlgrym."

Imbalance
2021-01-18, 09:22 AM
"Mirabar...I'm sure I've heard of it," Torinn remarked. "Far to the north and under the Spine Mountains, right? I should surely like to see a Dwarven city whose ancient splendors haven't been befouled by denizens of the Underdark." He pauses for a moment to reflect on the rumored threats beyond the scope of his former employment, how the deepest depths of lost, found, and contested Gauntlgrym were said to still be occupied by the so-called "dark elves" and worse.

"He hasn't said," Torinn says beneath his breath before turning back to this traveler. With a heartier voice, he implores, "so, what brings you so far from home? I didn't catch your name, by the way."

Awful
2021-01-18, 07:15 PM
"A few reasons," Mae responded easily. "One is that it's so much more interesting to see things for yourself than read about them in books, isn't it? My family's estate library is quite comprehensive, but text and sketches alone can't quite display the full nature of something, can they?"
She smiled, small and satisfied.
"And so I decided to go see them, and my honoured father and mother arranged sturdy Sir Tharandiir here to accompany my whimsy, so as to avoid me catching an - axe to the head, or whatevr barbaric fate they imagined might befall me.

JNAProductions
2021-01-18, 07:31 PM
"Mm," Heart responds. "That's fair. Are you able to fend for yourself, or do you absolutely need the good Sir with you?"

After a beat, she realizes that might've come off a bit oddly. "I'm just curious, that's all. I've heard that the elven nobility values courtly combat, so I'd assume you've SOME training in the arts of fighting, but I don't really know how much."

Kvard51
2021-01-18, 11:41 PM
Durnik grins at the Dragonborn, "Oh, Mirabar isn't a dwarf city. But dwarves have done well there due to the mines. Mirabar is a human city with a large dwarf population."

Awful
2021-01-19, 04:01 PM
"I do, of course, have the traditional training in using sharp sticks to transmute men into ghosts," Maecilia drawled. "The long and short bows, the shortsword and the longsword, though my tutors were rather presumptious in that last one. I mean, honestly." The delicate elf stretched out a slender arm, the fingers on the hand uncalloused by the long handling of weapons. "I hardly have the build or the reach for swinging about a great lump of iron like that. But it is tradition, and my kind have the time to learn a few needless things, I suppose."
She gave an amused, languid shrug, as if to say 'what can you do?' for a slightly unreasonable request she'd nonetheless grant.
"I do, however, have a bit of magic - I decided to take up the study of it, and found it rather interesting. That is my true defence... though it is nice to have someone to stand in front of any incoming arrows."

She gave Tharan-ran an easy smile, to take any bite out of her words before she continuned her talk with the cat.

"Not a mage yourself, I take it? No arcane focus, no holy symbol for that sort of godbothering magic, and a pigsticker at your waist. No, I imagine you're not, are you?"

JNAProductions
2021-01-19, 07:24 PM
"Told you I didn't have the gift of Sight, and I lack the spark to do any other magic... Far as I know, at least," Heart replies. "But I'm damn sneaky, damn quick, and a fair hand with what weapons I've trained with."

Imbalance
2021-01-19, 08:26 PM
Torinn gives little thought to whether this Dwarf is avoiding giving his name, and simply admits, "there is much I have yet to learn about these lands and people. I should like to visit Mirabar some day, along with many more cities. Even this unsettled territory that we now traverse is interesting to me, yet I know so little of what to expect." He then raises his voice for the group to hear, asking, "have any of you been to this Phandalin before?"

PartyOfRogues
2021-01-19, 11:02 PM
Dremon had been out of work for quite some time, so when a dwarf named Gundren told him he’d have work for him in Phandalin he quickly set out from Luskan in hopes of earning some coin. Seeing a group of people at an intersection along his path he decided to stop and make conversation ”Greetings fellow travelers, I saw you and was wondering what you’re all doing gathered here, if you don’t mind me asking?” The man approaching was tall and bearded, and the insignia on his chain armor indicated some military rank. The painted shield on his back and the mace strapped to his side indicated that he was a priest of Red Knight, goddess of strategy.

Zero Prime
2021-01-19, 11:32 PM
AC: 17 | HP: 11 | CURRENT: 11 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10

Tharandiir eyes the new comer warily, he was already uncomfortable with the number of unknown variables travelling the backwater road with himself and his ward. As the new figure approached, his hips shifted slightly, his rear leg grounded, ready to propel his body in any direction to avoid an attack. His hand hovered near the hilt of his blade, eyes scanning the underbrush on either side of the road looking for accomplices. "My company and I travel to Pharendir, we find ourselves companions, united only by the direction of our travel and the road that we've chosen." A pause, "And who may you be stranger?"

PartyOfRogues
2021-01-20, 02:10 PM
”Well I’m also headed that way, so I hope none of you would mind if I joined you, I am Sir Brodivir of Red Knight, though if we’re traveling together you may simply call me Dremon.”

Imbalance
2021-01-20, 03:37 PM
Torinn sees the Elf square up against this new guy just as before and grins. The fellow's manner of attire reminds him of the Dwarf clerics that encouraged him to head this way, though the emblem is different.

"Good day, Sir Brodivir," he says. "You some kind of holy man?"

PartyOfRogues
2021-01-20, 05:16 PM
”Yes, are you a follower of the gods yourself?”

Imbalance
2021-01-20, 06:30 PM
The dragonborn gives a terse "no." He then adds, "the gods were historically of little use to my kind. Most of us try to repay them by being of little use in return..." He appears to be interrupted momentarily, before grumbling, "though I seem to have personal failings to overcome in that regard."

Zero Prime
2021-01-20, 11:17 PM

The tall, lithe, elven warrior nodded at the armored human, "Greetings Sir Dremon Brodivir of the Red Knight. From where do you hail, for I do not recognize the faith of which you are an exemplar." As he spoke, his posture changed slightly, his shield lowered, however, to the trained eye he still maintained a certain degree of readiness amidst the menagerie of strangers.

Oseyerys
2021-01-21, 11:22 AM
https://i.redd.it/rddklzteq9t41.jpg

New companions and conversation make the time pass by on the road. You spend so much time getting to know each other that you hardly realize you've been on the Triboar Trail for almost half a day at this point. The sun, now past its zenith, warms your back as you continue eastward. You haven't seen another traveler on the trail in a few hours and life around you is oddly quiet. While you are still conversing, as you come around a bend, you spot two dead horses sprawled about fifty feet ahead of you, blocking the path. Black feathered arrows protrude from the corpses of both steeds. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side.

PartyOfRogues
2021-01-21, 11:33 AM
Dremon grabs the shield off his back and his mace from his belt, looking for any signs of people among the trees.
Perception: [roll0]
”Slow down, looks like an ambush ahead.”

Oseyerys
2021-01-21, 11:50 AM
Triboar Trail

It's hard to see much of anything, given the embankments are elevated terrain above the path you walk and there is significant cover with all the trees and bushes, but you see nothing alarming as you scan around the path. You do notice, from the distance you stand from the horses, that it appears the contents of the horses' saddlebags have been emptied onto the road around the corpses.

Imbalance
2021-01-21, 03:33 PM
"Brigands!" Torinn whispers. His shield arm has been itchy but he's now very glad to have it on. He takes a sidestep and crouches to lower the trunk from his shoulder to the ground, trying to do so quietly but with the supposition that they've already been made.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zero Prime
2021-01-21, 04:05 PM

Tharandiir nodded towards his draconic companion, "I agree with your assessment, approach the beasts with a caution, I will circle our group in the event any brigands remain hidden alongside the road." With that the elven warrior moved quietly towards the underbrush, scaling the embankment as quietly as possible, his eyes scanning ahead, tracing the direction of arrow fire to their likely point of origin.

OOC: Moving into the brush, and scaling the embankment, keeping low, and moving in the direction of where it looks like the arrows came from. Quietly if possible, [roll0] for Stealth check.

JNAProductions
2021-01-21, 05:12 PM
Heart's face falls as she sees the horses. "Who would've done this?"

She draws her bow, keeping it ready, and staying near Mae. "We can both work at a distance-if we get ambushed from behind, or if they make it towards us, you run, and I'll draw daggers."

Awful
2021-01-21, 07:08 PM
"My, my," Mae said, surprise in her tone. "What a ghastly excess usage of arrows. Surely they wouldn't have needed half of those to take the poor things to the grave."
For her part, she did not draw a weapon or heft a shield, or even leap for cover. She lifted a hand and spoke a word that huge strangely in the air, and golden light briefly flashed over her in a million tiny interlinked patterns. She felt the mage armour settle around her, and felt slightly less worried about a case of arrow-back interaction.
"I suppose the question is also - not just our enthusiastic archer friends, but where are the riders? Perhaps there's tracks, if one of you is more used to grubbing in mud for that sort of thing."

Casting Mage armour to give an AC of 17

Kvard51
2021-01-21, 09:48 PM
Durnik flips his warhammer up into his hand and resettles his shield. He calls upon his connection to the earth, and his skin takes on grey hue. "Ye should stay behind me, Lady Elf. Me shield can keep the arrows off'n us both.", he says as he steps in front of Mae.

Activated Stone's Durability, Dex =18

Awful
2021-01-22, 06:17 PM
"Not an awful idea, I do suppose," the Lady said, and moved closer to the stony dwarf. Apparently this one had eaten more rocks or whatever than most dwarves, as his skin took on the aspects of stone. She was shorter than him - and wasn't that tragic - and he was vastly broader in frame, as well. Her own assigned bodyguard had wandered off into the undergrowth
"What an interesting effect," she muttered, her tone genuinely interested, and getting somewhat distracted from the potential risk at hand. "It doesn't seem like mage armour, though it fills a similar protective function. Do tell - is that rocky carapace of yours a spellwork or something innate to your bloodline? Had an ancestor particularly fond of boulders, perhaps?"

In addition to her BA mage armour, she will use Durnik for cover i.e use her action to Dodge to give disadvantage to any attacks aimed at her.

Imbalance
2021-01-22, 06:52 PM
Torinn nods as Tharandiir moves into the thicket. He pulls the axe from his back as he steps away from his luggage and strides warily toward the carcasses on the road, scanning for danger as he goes.

Torinn moves 30' toward the horses
Perception check:
[roll0]

Oseyerys
2021-01-24, 01:43 PM
Triboar Trail

The path is eerily silent as you all ready yourselves for potential danger. As Torinn advances, two arrows, one from each embankment on either side of the path, sail through the air towards him. Perhaps it was your anticipation of a trap, or perhaps it was simply his years of combat experience, but the sound of the bowstring being released from somewhere in the bushes and the whistle of the arrows sailing through the air allow Torinn to deflect one of the arrows with the blade of his axe. This motion however, opens up his back to the other arrow and the arrow embeds itself in his shoulder. From the embankments you now hear whooping and hollering as two goblins break free of the bushes and run towards you, one pushing straight for Tharandiir, as you all see him trying to make his way up to the high ground. Another two goblins, those who fired the arrows, sit at the top of the embankments still as they ready for another volley.

Time for initiative and actions. Zero has been kind enough to offer me a crash course in R20 soon so hopefully when we can find time to go through it together, we should be able to get it set up to where you can upload your own tokens to R20 and can move your characters freely to where you wish them to be in combat scenarios. I'll try to figure something out in the meantime, but as Tharandiir and Torinn were the only two to actually state that they were advancing or repositioning, the rest of you are still on the road ~30ft behind Torinn, with Durnik, Dremon and Heart in in front of/around Mae.

5 piercing dmg from the arrow.

JNAProductions
2021-01-25, 02:36 PM
Heart knocks an arrow, readying herself to fire as soon as one of the goblins is harried by one of her comrades.

As she does, she also steps forward slightly, putting herself between Mae and the archers.

Okay. I'll Ready an Action to fire at the first goblin that reaches melee range of an ally, whether that's by an ally approaching or the goblin approaching.

I will also move to provide cover to our mage, in case they try to shoot her. IC post after I post this.

Zero Prime
2021-01-26, 03:00 PM

Tharandiir moved quickly over the crest of the northern ridge, engaging the goblin amusher he discovered there. Drawing his rapier, he stepped in bringing his shield up to the creatures eye level, before slipping the razor sharp elven blade beneath the shield towards the creatures ribs.

As his blade struck, he whispered in the language of the tel'quessir, "I speed thee to death foul creature, no more shall you prey upon the denizens of these, most noble, woods!"

OOC: Move 5' to engage the goblin, and then attack with the rapier. (1d20+6) 15 vs AC, if attack is successful, (]1d6+6) 7 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24901416&postcount=72) piercing damage to the creature. Linked to OOC thread where I formatted the dice roll correctly.

Awful
2021-01-26, 07:04 PM
"They're shooting at us," said Mae, sounding more aggrieved than actually worried. "How absolutely crass! How does it go again... Igni?"
She peeked from around her guardians, aimed a finger at one of the charging goblins, and launched a gleaming golden dart of fire towards it.

Imbalance
2021-01-26, 07:31 PM
Torinn winced at the slender stick protruding from just between the rings of his mail as much in embarrassment as in pain. He quickly decides that if he can close the distance with only one of the attackers, it might as well be the one that gave him this. He bounds toward the left embankment as he sees Tharandiir's sword glint out of the corner of his eye. The dull metal of Torinn's worn but sturdy Dwarven axe presents no such sparkle, though he hopes that he can repay the goblin who shot him with the sight of its own blood as he brings it to bear.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] slashing if hits

JNAProductions
2021-01-26, 11:33 PM
Heart, when her Thandir makes it to the goblin, or if he fells the foe in one swoop, when Torinn makes it, looses her arrow.

The shot goes wide, though, as she's too busy trying to avoid hitting her comrade, and it thunks harmlessly into the dirt.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kvard51
2021-02-01, 10:04 PM
Durnik raises his shield to provide the princess with as much cover as possible while intoning the arcane words that create a spectral hand above the goblin directly to his south. He closes the hand, trying to crush the life out of the vicious little brute.

Chill Touch [roll0] for [roll1] necrotic damage, if it hits. Target eill not be able to regain hp until the start of my next turn.

Oseyerys
2021-02-01, 10:15 PM
Triboar Trail

Not at all surprised by the ambush that has been sprung, after the first shots from the archers come in to give away their position, you spring to action.

Maecillia

You see Tharandiir making his way to protect your left flank from the goblin charging at you so you turn your attention to the other goblin on the right charging from its hiding spot. Your fingers tingle with arcane energy as you release your spell, the arcing unmistakable orange of fire shooting forth towards the goblin. The goblin however, sees your fireball coming at it and manages to duck under the spell as it whizzes past its head. It glares at you as it keeps advancing, although now with more caution.

Tharandiir

Already of the mind to attain high ground, you make your way to meet the charging goblin coming down the left embankment and use your martial combat experience to find the gap between the goblin's leathers. The goblin screeches and falls over as its blood starts to stain the grass and dirt around it.

Torinn

Easily spotting where the arrow that pierced you came from, you bound your way over towards the embankment with the intent to climb it to close distance to your target. With surprisingly little effort given your gear, you manage to make it up the embankment in large part to your running head start from the road. Once up the embankment, and conveniently on the same plane as the archer who shot you, you make your way to him before he can fire another arrow at you. Fear is the last thing you see in the goblin's eyes before you too cut down your quarry.

Heart

Not being in immediate danger yourself, you ready an arrow to assist your companion, however your shot falls short, embedding itself in the embankment, due to your uncertainty of hitting your comrade.

Goblins
The goblin rushing up to the group, the one Mae tried to fry with a firebolt, pulls out a scimitar and notices Heart's attention is distracted from just letting an arrow fly. The goblin takes this cheap shot (for goblins are known to not be above such things) and swings at Heart while she is distracted, catching her with the blade as a consequence. The other archer, on the right side embankment, lets loose another arrow towards the group still in the road. This arrow does not sail true however, and misses Mae, its intended target.

8 slashing damage from the goblin with the scimitar.

JNAProductions
2021-02-01, 10:17 PM
"Tch!" Heart lets out as she's nicked. "You're gonna regret that, small fry!"

Zero Prime
2021-02-02, 01:10 AM

As the goblin fell, Tharandiir quickly scanned the battlefield, Torinn had engaged the goblin further along the ridge, while one had rushed towards Heart and the Lady Maecillia, while a fourth fired from the southern most ridge. Drawing his bow, he quickly nocked two arrows and sent them flying, one at the goblin engaging Heart, and the second towards the archer in the copse of trees.

OOC: Move action to switch weapons, and then Attack the goblin adjacent to Heart with my longbow, [roll0] vs AC for [roll1] damage. I will then Action Surge and take a second attack action to fire an arrow at the goblin archer on the opposite ridge, [roll2] vs AC for [roll3] damage if that hits.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-02, 11:01 AM
Dremon steps next to the goblin and Heart, laying a hand in her shoulder and chanting a short invocation, he patches up her wounds with divine magic and bolsters her to attack again.
Heart regains [roll0] HP and Voice of Authority triggers so she can make an attack on the goblin that just hit her.
If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, that ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see. If the spell targets more than one ally, you choose the ally who can make the attack.

JNAProductions
2021-02-02, 11:20 AM
Heart, snagging a dagger, whips it towards the goblin as she feels invigorated.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Oseyerys
2021-02-02, 11:14 PM
Triboar Trail

Durnik

You try to capture the goblin in your spell however, to avoid accidentally hitting your companions with the spectral hand, you close the fist slightly slower than you normally would, allowing the goblin to jump out of the way.

Dremon

You feel the familiar favor of your god as you bolster your ally and heal your companion next to you who got jumped by the goblin moments earlier.

Heart

Feeling a sudden surge of adrenaline course through you as you feel the cleric's power flow through you, you turn on the goblin who attacked you while you were distracted and lash out. The blade of your dagger however catches the leather of the goblin's armor and simply scratches it, no more.

JNAProductions
2021-02-03, 04:07 PM
Heart draws her second dagger and continues the assault.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4] Sneak Attack if either one hits.

Please one of them hit. :P

Awful
2021-02-04, 07:46 AM
As an arrow sailed past, Maecilia's eyes narrowed.
"They're shooting at me. How dare they!"
She called up another Firebolt, launching it with a flick of the wrist - but hitting a moving target was harder than it seemed, perhaps, as it merely ignited the ground past the archer.
"Gah!" she expressed in frustration, moving backwards so a tree broke line of sight between her and the lout launching arrows at her.

Imbalance
2021-02-04, 08:28 AM
"No, goblins," mutters Torinn, a tad winded from the exertion. It had been a long time since he had fought above ground. He turns to see the group tangling with one of the little miscreants as an arrow sails toward the assailant on the far side. Unsure if the missile found its mark, he decides to rush the enemy shooter before it can lob another into the group on the road.

Dash action to run across the road, hoping to make it to the goblin to the southeast
[roll0] athletics check

Oseyerys
2021-02-06, 12:31 PM
Triboar Trail

Heart

The goblin's armor may have prevented your first attack from striking true, however nothing prepared it from you pulling out your other dagger, whirling around, and planting both daggers in either side of the goblin's neck. It falls to the ground coughing on its own blood.

Mae

Perhaps it's frustration over the tabaxi who disrespected you earlier managing to kill a goblin, or perhaps it's just unfortunate, but you hurl another arc of orange fiery light at the goblin archer still on the embankment but this one sails just over it, saving it from almost certainly a mortal wound to the head.

Tharandiir

Seeing Heart dispatch the goblin nearest the rest of the group, you turn your attention to the archer goblin on the other side of the embankment and let an arrow fly. The arrow strikes true and you see, across the road from the other side, the goblin falls backwards into the bush it was hiding in.

Torinn

After dispatching the first archer you turn your attention to the second. You charge your way back down the embankment and across the road with the intent of scaling the other one. The dirt of this embankment is softer and more loose however and you find it hard to get a grip to climb. While you are trying to scale the embankment however, you hear an arrow sail over your head, hear the thud of the arrow hitting something, the yelp from a goblin, and the rustled thump of something falling into leaves.

Awful
2021-02-07, 06:20 PM
"Oh, is that all of them?" Maecilia said as a sort of quiet settled over the area. Post-combat and unperforated by arrows, she'd regained that languid confidence. "What beastly little things. What did they expect to happen with only four of them?"
She laughed and shrugged lightly.
"Well, I suppose no one ever called goblins smart. Tharandiir! Where did you run off to?"

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-07, 06:48 PM
”Probably the same as what they did to these poor folk.” Dremon says, moving to the carriage to look for the bodies of the riders.

JNAProductions
2021-02-07, 09:30 PM
Heart looks around, making sure the area is safe, then heads with Dremon. "Do we have any idea who these people are? Or at least, their funeral traditions?"

Imbalance
2021-02-07, 11:55 PM
Dusting himself off, Torinn warily joins the others on approach to the dead horses. He gingerly slings his axe, but keeps the shield up. "Could one of you aid me, perhaps?" he asks, pointing to the arrow still stuck in his shoulder. "I don't think I could pull it properly without causing more damage..."

Zero Prime
2021-02-08, 08:34 AM

Tharandiir replaced his bow over his shoulder, while retreiving his rapier, removig the greenskin's blood from the blade itself with a piece of the creature's rough spun tunic.

"Well, I suppose no one ever called goblins smart. Tharandiir! Where did you run off to?"

Tharandiir smiled, "Up here my lady," he nodded towards his charge, "when one is ambushed, one should move towards cover and then attain the high ground." As he nimbly scramled down the embankment, towards Torinn, he inspected the arrow head. Shaking his head, "I am afraid that I spent little of my youth in the healing houses of the tel'quessir, I fear I may cause more harm than good my friend." He paused, but nodded respectfully, "However, the skirmish was well fought, Torinn of Clan Nemmonis, your prowess brings honor and respect to your blood and your brood." Despite it's formal structure, the elf's compliment is earnest and sincere and an attempt to give praise without offending one of a culture and nature unfamiliar to him.

He moved, gingerly towards the carcasses of the ambushed horses, searching through their tack and harness for any indication of the identity of the mount's owners. Looking over his shoulder, he addressed Heart's concern. "Though unlikely, let us pray to whatever god's will listen, that the owners of these magnificent beasts, got clear. Their lives saved by these poor horses sacrifice."

OOC: Having re-read the thread, I don't think we've confirmed whether or not the owners of the horses have been discovered, just two horse carcusses blocking the path. So Tharandiir is cautiously searching saddles, saddle bags for some clue as to the identity of their owners, *or* for the bodies of the riders themselves.

Either way, Perception or Investigation (same bonus) check, [roll0].

Oseyerys
2021-02-09, 01:37 PM
Triboar Trail

After defeating the goblins that clearly laid this ambush for less attentive travelers, Tharandiir inspects the horses closer and again takes notice of the emptied saddle bags littered on the ground around the corpses of the steeds. There are couple books for leisure reading on the ground that are too heavy to be carried away with the breeze, some trampled and half eaten food provisions, and an empty leather map case. The horses appear to have been dead for about a day, and it is evident that the arrows protruding from the bodies were the cause. After a bit of searching, however, you come to the conclusion that there are no other bodies nearby, equestrian or otherwise.

Getting closer to look for the riders of the horses, you notice that one of these horses belongs to Gundren Rockseeker, the very dwarf who told you he had work for you in Phandalin.

Awful
2021-02-09, 07:05 PM
"Next time, you might want to stick closer," Maecilia said lightly. "I'm quite sure my honoured father would be quite displeased, if you had to bring back my perforated body and explained you'd charged off to stab some goblin while I was being shot at." She laughed, then smiled as an idea occured to her. "Actually, hold on. I want to find the arrow they shot at me. A little something to commerate the first time that's happened."

She looked around for the arrow, then used her magic to both clean off the books with a click of her fingers - and summoned a spectral hand to pluck them from the dirt and carry them to her so she didn't have to grub about in the mud like some kind of farmer.
"What dross," she remarked, paging through the books, "But it does seem rather a crime to leave a book to moulder."

Kvard51
2021-02-09, 07:21 PM
Durnik, considering the possibility of further problems on the road, decides to hold on to the magic that toughens his skin to a rock-like consistency. He looks over the group of assorted travelers, surprised by how well they had worked together. Hearing Mae dress her bodyguard down, he winces slightly, "Eh! I'm thinking I had your valuables well protected, Lady Elf. And it might be that His Thorniness was better protectin' ye by attacking them ambushers, anyways. There's a sayin' among the dwarves o' Mirabar, 'the best defense be a good offense.' an all."

Zero Prime
2021-02-09, 11:39 PM

Next time, you might want to stick closer," Maecilia said lightly. "I'm quite sure my honoured father would be quite displeased, if you had to bring back my perforated body and explained you'd charged off to stab some goblin while I was being shot at."

Tharandiir's eyes rolled as the young Lady spoke, replying in the noble tongue of their shared tel'quessir heritage, "M'lady, is as always, correct. Her father would be most displeased that his daughter had not yet grown the sense to keep her head down in an ambush, or take the high ground as taught by her knightly protector."

Returning his attention to the scene before them, "I do not see the horses riders, perhaps they found refuge. Look for a copse, or knoll where they could have taken cover from an ambush." As he spoke, he began to search in a spiral out from the horses, looking for blood stains, or trampled undergrowth.

OOC Searching the area for the owner's of the horses, Perception [roll0], and we'll see what that turns up. Nope, he's still frustrated with the Princess, lol.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-10, 10:44 AM
While Tharandiir searches the area, Dremon heads over to Torinn, pulling the arrow from his shoulder and bandaging the wound.
Medicine: [roll0]

Kvard51
2021-02-10, 10:57 AM
Durnik picks up the map case off the ground, examining it for marks. He then opens it and pulls out what is inside to get a better look.

JNAProductions
2021-02-10, 10:57 AM
Heart joins in the search, casting her eyes about for anything suspicious.

[roll0]

Higher than a 6, come on! :P

Imbalance
2021-02-10, 02:05 PM
"I appreciate your saying so, good knight," begins the dragonborn. "Though, I'm not sure how much honor there is in slaying such pitiful creatures as these..." Torinn looks about the group, notes that none of them appear shaken by the violence of the assault, and that Heart seems to the only one besides himself to bear an injury. "...especially in defense of those as capable as you all."

As Dremon plucks the arrow, Torinn smiles in relief. "Thank you, master Brodivir. I will repay this kindness. I thank you all, as I may have followed the fortunes of these riders had I been travelling alone," he adds with humility, having been the one that sprung the ambush.

"Speaking of whom, what can we tell? Could they have been taken alive?"

Oseyerys
2021-02-10, 02:25 PM
Triboar Trail

This isn't the first time you've been chastised, even in good humor, from your charge. It is, however, one of the first times this was done with other travelers present to hear it.
This slight clouds your mind just enough that you can't seem to focus on the task at hand of trying to find any evidence as to the fate of the horses' riders.

Dremon

Given that you have no bandages on you, it is not your best work as you need to tear some fabric from the clothes in your pack, but your knowledge in first-aid and healing wounds more than makes up for the lack of proper materials. After a minute or two of fussing with it, you determine that the wound will hold at least until you get somewhere more secure to clean it better and re-dress it.

5 hp restored.

I searched high and low on the character sheet and couldn't find bandages anywhere. If you have them and I'm not seeing them just call me out in OOC for being blind, so to still fulfill your action, I saw you had Common Clothes in your Equipment so basically, Dremon tore some of that fabric to wrap up and put pressure on the wound. Being that the wound is one arrow shot, the entirety of the clothes would not have been used so, if anything, now you just have more raggedy commoner's clothes.

After expanding the radius of your search around the horses to look for clues as to the whereabouts of the riders, you climb up one of the embankments where the goblins were and see, leading off in one direction, away from the road, grass that has been matted down freshly by boots.

Awful
2021-02-10, 05:47 PM
Maecilia laughed and also switched to the High Tongue. "<My honoured father would consider me being here at all proof of my senselessness, I think, rather than comfortably coddled in my library. Besides, taking the high ground would have involved running away from my noble protectors here and towards the little wretches, and close combat hardly seems my place to shine. I must admit a tad more practice with my aim is required. I expected hitting the things to be easier.>"

"As I am uninjured, I suppose you were," Mae nodded gracefully, and dipped in a slight bow, at the dwarf's words. "My thanks to Mirabar for providing such a sturdy bastion."
She listened to the dragonborn speak, then interjected.

"My guess," Maecilia purred, "Is that the owners of these ex-horses got away - no bodies, after all - and the goblins lay an ambush waiting for them to come back for any goods that they'd lost. The goblins probably didn't really want to fight us, but panicked at the sight of a whole bunch of weapon-wielding brutes and I, and the rest, as humans say, is history.

Find the tracks, and you'll find the riders."

JNAProductions
2021-02-10, 06:29 PM
"I found tracks!" Heart calls over. She indicates the freshly-trodden grass to the others.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-10, 09:32 PM
”Can you tell if they’re goblin or human? I think we should follow them either way, but we should gather as much information as possible before proceeding.”

JNAProductions
2021-02-10, 09:40 PM
I'm assuming survival is the relevant stat.

[roll0]
Heart looks closer at the tracks, seeing if she can tell. After a few moments of not getting any decent info, she shakes her head and calls back "No such luck. Could be either."

Kvard51
2021-02-11, 07:34 PM
Durnik grimaces. He doesn't really WANT to leave the road, but doesn't want to leave prisoners in the goblins clutches either. "We should be following them tracks, then. I'd hate to let folks get eaten 'cause I'm feeling lazy."

Imbalance
2021-02-11, 09:30 PM
After Maecilia's assurance, Torinn at first moves to pick up his gear again for the remainder of the journey, but the Dwarf's words pull at his sense of honor. Instead, after hiding the box as well as he can beneath a bush, he joins the Tabaxi atop the embankment and asks, quietly, "Heart, are you badly hurt?"

[roll0] sleight-of-hand to stow the chest?

JNAProductions
2021-02-11, 09:42 PM
"i'm fine," Heart says, her words mostly true.

8/10 HP.

She looks to the path, her face furrowing into a frown. "Save the healing for when we find the perpetrators. I wouldn't want it wasted on me when there might be some that are far more badly hurt."

Zero Prime
2021-02-11, 11:04 PM

Tharandiir was somewhat crestfallen upon discovering that he had missed the trail left by the horse's owners. Still, he moved with the group, scanning the horizon as they followed the tracks, wary of further ambush.

"Let's stay focused, there could be more ambush parties afield, move cautiously." Moving parallel to the party, he he moved towards the bush, blending in, almost effortlessly, with the foliage.

OOC: Perception check, scanning for traps & ambushes, [roll0], and finally, a stealth check to move quietly through the brush, [roll1].

Awful
2021-02-14, 02:25 PM
Maecilia followed, once again letting the larger, more expendable members of the party be her shield from any errant ambusher's arrows. She suspected there wouldn't be another quite so soon - why split their forces if that was the case - but no harm in being careful.

Oseyerys
2021-02-15, 02:01 PM
Hidden Path

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/1bc0124f-d92a-4803-950b-1e6c4b155523/d5o0tdz-055a0b4e-b4f4-4921-8716-2e516b93f0f9.jpg/v1/fill/w_1100,h_648,q_75,strp/forest_concept__8_2009__by_wwsketch_d5o0tdz-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI 1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6 Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD02NDgiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC 9mXC8xYmMwMTI0Zi1kOTJhLTQ4MDMtOTUwYi0xZTZjNGIxNTU1 MjNcL2Q1bzB0ZHotMDU1YTBiNGUtYjRmNC00OTIxLTg3MTYtMm U1MTZiOTNmMGY5LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMTAwIn1dXSwi YXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX 0.gdPBdTudX6Z8hK7AmOh_33J7PiQ4jhJmthu4M1IZ9Mc

The path veers off to the northwest, away from the Triboar Trail. With Tharandiir taking point once more, you wander along the forest path. The now afternoon sun, that was quite warm before on the High Road where there wasn't much shade this morning, is now hidden behind leaves and branches in the trees that keep you cool. There is less conversation as there was on the Triboar Trail given that you're anticipating more goblins to be nearby.

About 10 minutes into the trek down this path, as you scan your surroundings for any signs of danger, you see, in the road almost hidden beneath some leaves, a rope that appears to resemble a noose on the ground. The end of the rope, however, disappears beneath the leaves and into a nearby bush.

Imbalance
2021-02-16, 03:54 PM
While Tharandiir heads into the wilderness with the clear aim of going undetected, Torinn, recognizing his own gear is a liability in this regard, decides it best to amble toward the back of the party, at least until they find out where this trail leads.

Zero Prime
2021-02-16, 05:29 PM

Tharandiir nocked an arrow and sent it flying into the center of the snare laid in his companions path. He then swung his bow towards the bush where he thought the ambushes may have concealed themselves.

OOC: Readying an action to fire an arrow at our ambushers once they reveal themselves. [roll0] vs AC, for [roll1] damage, if they show themselves.

Oseyerys
2021-02-17, 09:50 PM
Hidden Path

You all watch as Tharandiir, who was taking point on this adventure down this path, shoots an arrow at the ground. As the arrow makes contact with the dirt, the leaves around the arrow fly up as a rope springs back through the adjacent bushes and flies up in the air where most certainly an unsuspecting traveler would now be dangling by his or her leg. Tharandiir then brushes his bow through where one might be laying in wait, however no one is there. It would seem that whoever set this trap left it for the time being.

JNAProductions
2021-02-18, 10:14 AM
"Nice shot," Heart comments to Tharandir. "Notice anything else lurking in wait?"

Awful
2021-02-18, 07:02 PM
Maecilia observed the sprung trap with mild interest.
"Hmm... can you tell if that trap was of goblin artifice?"

Zero Prime
2021-02-19, 01:40 AM

Responding to his companions, he nodded, "In truth, I thought that our ambushers were concealed in yonder shrub." He carefully moved across to his arrow, to retrieve it. "It appears I was mistaken." Moving towards the area where the snare would have trapped an unwary traveler, he looked to see if any attackers were concealed waiting to retrieve their prey.

OOC: Perception check to search the area, [roll0].

Kvard51
2021-02-19, 02:35 AM
Durnik laughs when the arrow springs the trap, turning it into a sheepish cough as it slips out. Once it becomes clear that there is no ambush waiting, he walks behind Tharandiir to look around and see if there are any signs of who left the trap.

Perception: [roll0]
Investigation: [roll1]

Imbalance
2021-02-19, 08:22 AM
From the back of the line, Torinn is pleased that he did not step into this trap so foolishly.

"Why would the survivors set a snare?" he wonders. "Unless they expected to be followed..."

Torinn spins about on his heals, axe at the ready, and looks back the way they had come for signs of pursuers.

[roll0] perception check

JNAProductions
2021-02-19, 11:28 AM
"Hazarding a guess, the goblins likely live here, or hunt here, at the least. If they set traps, it can let them more easily shake pursuit."

Awful
2021-02-21, 06:39 PM
Maecilia gave an airy shrug. "Well, traps or not, if they're not here there's not much point in sticking around. Shall we continue?"

Oseyerys
2021-02-22, 04:19 PM
Hidden Path

You scan around for a bit longer for anyone or anything lurking in the bushes waiting to spring but either nothing is around, or whatever was waiting for the trap to spring decided against it after you foiled the trap, taking away any element of surprise.

You don't see any signs of anyone nearby, however you do notice the broken twigs and flattened grass of the path before you indicating that maybe a dozen or so pair of feet have walked this path. You also notice two human sized drag marks in the grass along the path.

You try to look around for any signs of danger but, being in the back of the group, it is hard for you to notice anything hidden up front that would be cause for alarm.

You once again resume your interrupted walk down the path. Another ten minutes or so pass by when Tharandiir, who is still in the lead, takes a step on the path that catalyzes a series of cracks and rustling leaves as the ground before him appears to cave inwards. Whether it be his nimble elven reflexes or just the anticipation of another trap after the first one, Tharandiir is able to shift his weight back on to his back foot, staggering backwards a bit to avoid falling in to the now visible pitfall that blocks a section of the path. The pit itself is empty save for the sticks and branches that caved in under Tharandiir's weight and drops about 6 feet or so below you all as you look down into it.

Imbalance
2021-02-22, 05:05 PM
With the knowledge that was pointed out to him earlier, Torinn surveys the pit with a heavy sigh. "Had they put this kind of effort into honest work, they wouldn't get themselves killed trying to rob people." He shakes his head, then looks to the path ahead. "If these obstacles escalate any further, we might anticipate fire erupting from the ground," he adds.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-24, 09:48 PM
”We seem to be on the right path at least, hopefully we’ll reach the goblins and the prisoners soon enough”

JNAProductions
2021-02-25, 12:10 PM
Heart looks to the trees, with an idea.

With my climb speed, can I move among the trees without having to touch the ground as we forward?

Awful
2021-02-25, 07:16 PM
Maecilia peered around the others at the pit, but said nothing. Perhaps the next trap would be even larger?

JNAProductions
2021-02-25, 09:59 PM
"I'll check from above-see what I can find," Heart tells the others, and quickly scales a tree. She moves, at first slowly, but soon picking up the pace, maneuvering from branch-to-branch. Her eyes are peeled for any signs of more traps, or more creatures.

Zero Prime
2021-02-26, 09:50 AM

Tharandiir nodded towards the feline scout, pointing upwards towards the trees, while he, himself, withdrew a long, elven spear, and began to move cautiously forward sweeping tall grass, and shrubs to the side looking for snares or pit traps. He was convinced that the four ambushers they had encountered were just a rear guard, and the traps convinced him they were on the correct path towards a defensible position where the main force would be encamped.

OOC: Another perception check, but just remember, the pike has 10' reach so hopefully I trigger a trap far enough out it doesn't injure me. Heh. [roll0].
Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Oseyerys
2021-02-26, 12:51 PM
Hidden Path

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETWzBubXkAEyy19.jpg

Heart deftly scouts on ahead from the trees above while the rest of you follow at a pace that won't alarm anything in front of Heart, but remain close enough should Heart need assistance. Nothing appears to be lying in wait as you all press onward and eventually the path aligns with a shallow, slow-moving stream that appears no more than a few feet deep. Following the goblins’ trail, you come across a large cave in a hillside. You all estimate you've traveled around 5 miles off the main road where you encountered the ambush. The stream flows out of the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets on the east side of the stream, opposite you. A narrow dry path leads into the cave on the east side of the stream from the thickets beyond which you cannot see.

I will try to get something up in R20 for reference again today. Also for handling the goblin ambush and discovering this location, each player is awarded 75xp.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-26, 09:47 PM
”This looks like it could be their hideout, is everyone ready to head inside?” Dremon asks, saying a short prayer and putting a light on the tip of his mace
Casting Light on my mace

JNAProductions
2021-02-26, 09:52 PM
Dropping down carefully, Heart nods. "The longer we wait, the worse it might be for whoever's inside."

Imbalance
2021-02-26, 11:05 PM
Torinn hesitates. "While I've done no small amount of fighting in the dark, I have usually known ahead of time what I would face and where within the layout of those tunnels. Not all of us have clear sight underground," he admits as he produces a torch and tinderbox.

"Let me lead, beacon in hand, and draw them into a direct fight. Or perhaps I should wait by the entrance while someone with better eyes scouts ahead, that I might join in when needed. Either way, I am ready."

Asking characters for advice: Torinn will either doff the shield and light the torch to carry in the off hand (-2 AC) and head into the cave, or offer someone else the light and move toward the opening to stand as rear guard.

PartyOfRogues
2021-02-27, 12:23 AM
Asking characters for advice: Torinn will either doff the shield and light the torch to carry in the off hand (-2 AC) and head into the cave, or offer someone else the light and move toward the opening to stand as rear guard.

Dremon is going to have a light on his mace, but if you’d like I could instead put it on you and you could keep your shield.

Zero Prime
2021-03-03, 08:31 AM

Tharandiir moved along the eastern bank of the stream, as quietly as his elven grace allowed him, proceeding towards the mouth of the cave. Perferring not to be caught between two hostile forces, his bow drawn and arrow nocked, he turned to the south and west to check the thickets that would be behind them if they entered the cave.

"Careful," he whispered to Heart in the trees above him, "there may be a guard posted in that clearing."

OOC: It looks like I should have line of sight into the thickets, but I could be mistaken. Here's your perception check, if required, [roll0].

Imbalance
2021-03-03, 11:48 AM
Dremon is going to have a light on his mace, but if you’d like I could instead put it on you and you could keep your shield.

Go ahead with your mace, since you need the light, too.

With no objections, Torinn ignites a torch as Tharandiir moves up the stream. He harbors a touch of jealousy for the ease with which Dremon is able to magically cause illumination. Deciding not to risk setting the briar patch on fire, he then heads toward the cave mouth on the opposite bank, trying to make out any signs of what to expect within. He pauses to hear what the Elf said to Heart.

[roll0] perception check

Oseyerys
2021-03-03, 03:22 PM
Cave Entrance

Turning to Dremon you all see him asking the favor of the Lady of Strategy to imbue his mace with her holy light in preparation of whatever lies in store for you all. At the same time, Torinn takes out a torch and, from his own breath, ignites the flammable rags at the end of it. Tharandiir, still taking point, advances up the stream in hopes of seeing around the thickets on the opposite bank.

You try to peer around the thickets to see if anything lies in wait there. Moving upstream to get a better line of sight, you're able to see behind the thickets and see that the area has been hollowed out to form a natural blind. The briars have been flattened by wooden planks to allow for anyone or anything to lie down behind the screen and watch the area in front of the cave entrance, namely, the west bank from which you approach. You cannot SEE anyone behind the blind but you do hear some conversation in a language unbeknownst to you.
You do not have complete line of sight. To be able to see completely into the blind you will have to cross the stream.

That there's a cave.
The breath lighting of the torch is just for narrative flair, not using your actual breath attack :smallsmile:

Zero Prime
2021-03-03, 04:29 PM

Tharandiir looked to Heart, back at the group, then held up his hand with an open palm, before closing it to a fist, indicating the group should stop. Then looking to their heavier armored companions he held up three fingers, pointing towards the thicket, then counted down ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... and he sprang across the stream his bow drawn and leveled towards the south end of the thicket at the voices he had heard.

OOC: Alerting the party to the presence of the voices, and moving quickly across the stream, to where I have a clear line of fire. I am assuming this is an initiative check though, so [roll0], and we'll see how that goes! Ha! Not great!

JNAProductions
2021-03-03, 05:55 PM
[roll0]

If needed.

Heart peers through the darkness, towards where Tharandir is indicating the voices he heard. She moves at the same pace as the rest, but she's wound tight, ready to spring into action.

Awful
2021-03-03, 06:54 PM
Maecilia clicked her fingers, and from above her owl familiar alighted on her shoulder. She ran a finger along its tawny feathers as she followed the others into the cave.

I kinda forgot about my familiar up to now, heh.
The owl has 120ft darkvision and advantage on a +3 perception checks relying on sight, so it should be pretty good at spotting trouble.

Imbalance
2021-03-04, 09:37 AM
Distractingly, the spark that Torinn thought had come from his tinder strike had instead been the product of an errant hiccup, and the reconciliation of a bit of gastronomic distress pervaded his thoughts momentarily as an Elf, a Tabaxi, and a sudden owl invaded the scope of his thousand yard stare.

[roll0] initiative

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-05, 10:04 PM
Dremon tightens the straps on his shield and moves forward towards where Tharandiir had indicated.
[roll0]

Oseyerys
2021-03-08, 01:40 PM
Cave Entrance

Tharandiir leads a charge across the stream to the makeshift screen. The sound of the running water masks your splashing most of the way across. As you approach the opposite bank you all hear the voices behind the screen pause for a moment. As the first of you round the corner of the screen, you see two goblins start yelling and frantically reaching for their weapons.

Start of combat phase, goblins go last as they are reaching for their weapons. Combat will proceed as though Durnik is simply holding the rear unless Kvard comes back to control him.

Your familiar is now in play. My understanding of familiar rules is a little rusty (haven't had a familiar in about 5 years, but from my understanding of your post, you just summoned him you didn't see through your familiar's eyes or anything fancy like that yet. So if I read your action properly, yes, your familiar is now flying overhead ready for your orders on your turn. Rules say familiar gets its own turn and own initiative, but for the sake of brevity and pbp format as opposed to us all sitting around a table in real-time, just execute your familiar's actions when you do.

Zero Prime
2021-03-09, 09:34 AM

Tharandiir fired an arrow at the furthest goblin, calling to his companions, "More vermin! Watch the cave mouth!" As the arrow hummed through the air, he moved forward, quickly sheathing the bow across his back, preparing to draw his rapier to engage in the melee should his companions fail to fell the goblin raiders.

OOC: Attack action to shoot my bow at the goblin furthest from us, [roll0], for [roll1] damage, if the attack hits. Regardless I will move towards the goblins, sheathing my bow with a free object interaction.

JNAProductions
2021-03-09, 11:35 AM
When Tharandir reaches melee, the goblins' eyes on him, Heart throws one of her daggers towards a vital spot on one of them.

23 to-hit, 11 damage. Rolled OOC.

Imbalance
2021-03-09, 11:36 AM
Torinn rushes into the clearing with his broad axe raised menacingly over his head as though he means to cleave a mountain in two. Instead, he stays that strike as he thrusts the lit torch into one of the grimy little faces, and demands with a snarl, "answer quickly and truly, goblin: are your captives alive in this cave?"

If either of the goblins are still alive on my turn...
[roll0] Intimidation

If they're both dead, he'll just kind of poke at them to make sure.

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-10, 09:35 PM
Dremon rushes forward, attempting to grab one of the goblins to interrogate and capture.
Grappling(Athletics): [roll0]
If I can’t get close enough this turn, move 30’ closer and cast Guidance on myself

Oseyerys
2021-03-11, 02:27 PM
Cave Entrance

Upon all seeing each other, Dremon is the first to move. You see him leap towards the goblin on your left and take it to the ground trying to wrestle for a hold on it. The goblin, clearly unprepared to square off against in this uneven fight, is relatively easy to subdue after a couple seconds and Dremon manages to get on top of the writhing, snarling creature. Torinn, following the same train of thought as Dremon, advances towards the subdued goblin with all the appearance of intent to kill, only to begin interrogating the creature. The goblin, in kind hollers at its kin who is watching these events unfold before its eyes. The other goblin snaps to attention and raises its weapon in threatening gesture towards Torinn.

It is at this moment that Tharandiir looses an arrow at the second goblin. The shot is a little off, however, given the close proximity to Torinn and wanting to avoid hitting him. This doesn't stop Tharandiir from closing in on the second goblin though, before it has a chance to try to help free the tied up one. As Tharandiir gets close to the second goblin, he sees it seize up as a knife embeds itself into the goblins neck. The second goblin falls leaving only the first goblin, still under the weight of Dremon.

The tied up goblin, seeing the other fall, ceases resisting the cleric on top of him and looks at Torinn with an understanding in its eyes that conveys that it realizes the gravity of the situation it's in.

Clearing its throat of dust and dirt that had been kicked up in the scuffle, the goblin says in a raspy nasally voice, "Ye just missed tha dwarf, already been sent off to King Grol he 'as, along with 'is map. But tha human's in there, in tha eatin' cave just for us", he finishes chuckling and licking his lips in anticipation.

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-14, 08:26 PM
Dremon says a small prayer before continuing to interrogate the goblin ”Where are your king and the dwarf, and how many of you are in that cave?”
Casting Guidance on myself, if anyone else wants to talk to the goblin I’ll cast it on you
[roll0]+[roll1]

Awful
2021-03-15, 07:00 PM
"That was rather effecient," said the young elf breezily, though she made no attempt to engage herself in the interrogation of the hissing little goblin.

Oseyerys
2021-03-15, 07:51 PM
Cave Entrance

The goblin scowls at the cleric on top of him before responding, "Ol' King Grol? Why, 'eez up in Cragmaw Castle, good walking distance northeast of 'ere. That's where we sent tha dwarf to. Klarg dun told us, 'ee said 'if ya come across a dwarf with a treasure map on tha road, capture 'im and bring 'im 'ere, King Grol's got a new business partner who wants 'im'. And so, tha last couple days, me and me den-mates have been followin' orders. A handful of us left wit tha dwarf to escort 'im back to Cragmaw Castle. Ain't no more than twenty of us now."

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-15, 09:23 PM
Dremon cuts a length of rope and ties up the goblin, taking him over to Durnik. ”Stay here and watch him, if he tries to escape you’re welcome to kill him.”

Zero Prime
2021-03-16, 03:36 AM

Tharandiir shook his head, "No, kill the vermin now. We are outnumbered three to one, if we mean to secure the caves, I will not hamper our efforts further by relegating one of our own to play jailor. We know, full well, that these creatures will receive no fairer sentence should they be brought to justice for their cowardly ambush." As he spoke, he put arrows to string, stepped forward and aimed at the goblin, his eyes did not waver, but he spoke, "Maecilla, say the word."

Imbalance
2021-03-16, 08:07 AM
"Wait," Torinn grunts. He gives Dremon a knowing nod for the divine touch, reluctantly asking for the same. "This dishonorable wretch may yet be useful." He leans down, holding his own face above the torch, letting the smoke curl around his visage as the flickering light makes his draconian features more ominous. The glint of flame makes his dull scale pattern suddenly look glassy and sets a deepness to his eyes as he narrows his gaze and speaks through fire.

"Tell me, goblin, what other surprises have your den-mates left for the unwary?"

[roll0] intimidation
Plus Dremon's guidance, if still available
[roll1]

JNAProductions
2021-03-16, 10:36 AM
Heart moves slightly ahead, keeping an eye for any newcomers. She lets the others handle the prisoner.

Oseyerys
2021-03-16, 12:49 PM
Cave Entrance

The goblin squirms while being bound and its eyes widen at the mention of killing it, "Aw c'mon now, I dun told ya what ye needed to know! If ya cut me loose I won't forget it. It'll be the last you see of me, I swears! It ain't like I can go back in there anyway. Look, I told ya what yous needed ta know, now if ya could return tha favor an' make sure ya kill everyone in there so word don't get out that I turned in my own, we could call it square!"

To the dragonborn, the goblin's eyes swell with fear and it quickly responds, "I told ya everything friend, just Klarg and the twenty or so still in there!"

Awful
2021-03-16, 06:19 PM
"So why should we let you live?" Maecilia asked offhandedly, as one might ask a question without much interest in the answer. Instead of looking at the goblin, she was peering at the armoured tips of her gauntlets as if inspecting her nails. "Letting you go lets you potentially go and warn our enemies, or simply be a nuisance in the future. Why shouldn't my protector here have your head rolling on the floor?"

Oseyerys
2021-03-16, 06:35 PM
Cave Entrance

The goblin, not noticing the elven maiden at first, squints at her as if adjusting his eyes to her radiance, "You'd all cut me down before I could warn anyone in there mum" , he says nodding towards the cave entrance, "an' if I tell King Grol I gave up me mates, he'd have my 'ead. Please, I beg of ya, cut me loose an' I wouldn't tell a soul." The goblin's voice is even and unwavering, but you do see the fear in his eyes as he glances at all your weapons.

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-16, 08:32 PM
Dremon goes to talk to Durnik, talking loud enough so the goblin can still hear ”Keep him here until we clear the cave, if he’s told the truth we’ll leave him alive and maybe let him go, if he’s lying, then we can kill him.”

Oseyerys
2021-03-17, 12:39 PM
Durnik nods in affirmation and grabs hold of the goblin by its bindings, "I swear on Torag's beard I won't let this vermin out of my sight", he says as he finds a spot behind the blind to sit down.

JNAProductions
2021-03-17, 01:30 PM
Heart silently breathes a sigh of relief. She's no stranger to a fight, but cutting down prisoners doesn't sit well with her.

Imbalance
2021-03-21, 07:24 AM
Unsure that they should trust this captive's confession (or that the miscreant could even count as high as twenty), Torinn closes his eyes for a moment to attempt to adjust to the darkness. It never helps much, but it's also a chance to breathe and find calm.

He opens them squintingly to survey the others, and if they all appear ready, he'll turn to lead with the torch into the gloomy, damp cave.

Zero Prime
2021-03-21, 09:27 AM

Tharandiireased back the bowstring, placing the arrow in his quiver, stowing the bow across his back, it wasn't a useful tool in the narrow, twisting confines of a goblin's warrens. He drew thin, elven blade and shield, took a step towards the captive, sword extended, and placed it under one of the cheap brass buttons on the things jerkin, with a deft wrist motion he severed the button, and bent to pick it up.

"My lady, the Lady Maecillia Vitalis Felicissima, scion of the most venerated of elven lord's now has a token that is tied to you. Her arcane skill, woven with her most noble heritage would enable her to determine your location no matter where you fled. If you flee, I will find you, and it is my arrows that will prout from your back."
He paused, to let the fear sink in, his beautiful elven face, serene and full of grace even as he threatened to end the creature's life. "Do. Not. Betray. Us."

He then spun from the cpative, making a show of pressing the button into Maecillia's hand, nodding at her. "My lady," and he made way to provide her protection as they entered the warrens, ensuring he was between her and any threats that lie ahead. "Have a care," he whispered to his companions, "goblin warrens are known for their traps, trip wires, dead falls, and spiked pits."

Awful
2021-03-21, 07:05 PM
Maecilia gave a low chuckle at Tharandiir's cleverness.
"Very cunning," she said lowly, amused, and then louder. "He's quite correct, you know, There's no distance that would save you."
Returning to a quieter voice, she spoke again to her elven defender.
"Quite a wretched place, isn't it? I thought it was bad enough with just the filth. What miserable creatures to live like this, don't you think? Like animals."

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-22, 01:39 PM
Dremon follows into the cave, holding his mace above himself to spread the light

Oseyerys
2021-03-24, 02:11 PM
Cragmaw Hideout

https://valorthusfar.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/gwx-01.jpg

The goblin continues to prattle on that he's telling the truth as you turn and head into the cave. The echoes of the stream flowing and splashing against the rocks in the cave make it difficult to hear anything outside the immediate vicinity. After climbing up a couple wet, uneven steps, the east wall that you're walking along opens up to a small, dank chamber. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where three wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf’s chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite. Upon seeing you, the wolves attempt to attack however the chain is too short and it becomes apparent the wolves will not be able to reach you unless you move farther in to the room. The passage along the stream also winds up and around the corner out of sight.

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-26, 09:01 PM
Dremon cautiously approaches the wolves, pulling some of the rations from his pack and offering them to attempt to calm the beasts.
Animal Handling: [roll0]

Zero Prime
2021-03-27, 01:17 PM

Tharandiir stepped cautiously, slowly, so as not to further agitate the wolves, raised his bow to cover Dremon's approach. "Careful friend," he advised in a barely audible whisper.

OOC: Ready an action to fire an arrow at any wolf that attacks Dremon, if it can reach him. [roll0] vs AC, for [roll1] damage.

Imbalance
2021-03-29, 07:36 AM
Half-startled, almost stepping into the stream as he takes a defensive stance, Torinn steps sideways to avoid a lunging beast before the chain snaps taught. He then grimaces with disdain as he mutters, "lying scum. ...no, the goblin. Not now, my hands are full."

While Dremon attempts a bribe, Torinn holds the torchlight high, watching the wolves, wondering who or what may respond to the noise.

Ready action to chop a wolf if needed
[roll0] to hit vs AC
[roll1] slashing if hits

Oseyerys
2021-03-29, 02:01 PM
Cragmaw Hideout

The wolf growls as Dremon holds out some dried meat from his own rations. As the cleric approaches the beast, palms exposed in a nonthreatening manner, the wolf sniffs at the rations before taking a step back and letting out a low growl. The beast eyes the cleric until the meat is thrown down on the ground just in front of it, the other two wolves watching. The first wolf picks up the rations and almost immediately the other two are right next to it trying to get some for themselves. In a matter of moments the wolves are solely focused on the rations and seem to forget all about your presence.

PartyOfRogues
2021-03-29, 06:10 PM
Dremon heads around the wolves, cautiously making his way deeper into the cave.

Imbalance
2021-03-30, 07:38 AM
The dragonborn chuckles approvingly. "After you, Sir Brodivir," he submits in a hushed, cordial tone.

Zero Prime
2021-04-03, 05:59 AM

Tharandiir stepped towards his ward, shielding her from the distracted wolves, "Quickly my lady," he whispered as he took up the rear. He feared that should they be discovered one of the goblin defenders would release the hounds which would then stalk them through the caverns and attack from behind.

Oseyerys
2021-04-07, 09:47 AM
Cragmaw Hideout

You step around the wolves who, presently do not seem to be interested in you as they are still focused on the rest of the rations that Dremon had given them. The opening in the east wall leads to a natural chimney that seems to climb 30 feet or so. At the base of the fissure is garbage and scraps that have been discarded through the opening above.

Awful
2021-04-10, 09:16 AM
"So where now? Up the chimey, I suppose?" the young elf said, having skirted past the wolves with all due caution. Never mind the teeth, the mangy creatures probably had fleas.

Imbalance
2021-04-10, 09:50 AM
As flickering torchlight augments the steady glow of the cleric's cantrip, Torinn eyes the hollow shape of the narrow passage rising before them.

"Someone sneaky and good at climbing should go first and secure a rope, perhaps?" he suggests, ponderously, as if nobody specific has come to mind just yet.

Zero Prime
2021-04-11, 08:07 AM

Tharandiir's nose wrinkled due to the stench of goblin refuse, "Very well," he spoke quietly, "I can attempt to ascend the chimney, however, given it's use," he looked with disdain at the waste that they had to tread through, "the walls may well be slick. Perhaps a boost and once I make the ascent I can drop a rope down behind me."

OOC: I'll assume someone can boost me for Advantage, so my Athletics check, [roll0]+2=13, and once on top, a Stealth check to remain quiet [roll1]. Not great :smallannoyed:

Oseyerys
2021-04-16, 12:12 PM
Cragmaw Hideout

Due to the loose dirt and debris, it is slow goings for Tharandiir, but with a helpful boost and a little time, you all watch as he shimmies his way up the fissure until eventually he gets to the top. Behind you, the wolves seem to be almost done with the rations Dremon had given them.

As you reach the top of the fissure you can see into the room that is casting light through the hole. Sacks and crates of looted provisions are piled up in the south end of this large cave. An opening leads north down a set of natural stone steps, the roar of falling water echoing from beyond. In the middle of the cavern, the coals of a large fire smolder and illuminate the forms of 2 goblins, a large wolf, and a bugbear who is feasting on what appears to be the cooked leg of some bird. None of the habitants of this room seem to have noticed you peeking your head up from the hole in the ground.

Imbalance
2021-04-16, 01:34 PM
Torinn watches the Elf ascend, partially admiring his dexterity, but soon grows bored of staring at his skinny hind end. The rattling of chains is a welcome distraction, and he turns to face the wolves.

"Poor pups, look how underfed you are." He holds the torch defensively; his axe hand weighs with compassion, but he steps between the beasts and the others, as his tone softens. "Easy..."

He squats a bit, then says over his shoulder, "would one of you fetch the last of my cured goat flank? Should be near the top of my pack. As the holy man demonstrated, it is better to forfeit a meal than to become one, eh?"