PDA

View Full Version : Non-Metamagic Spell Modification In Magic Items?

unseenmage
2021-01-14, 09:30 AM
Okay so,
I've been on a spells kick lately.

What evidence in RAW do we have for nonmetamagic class abilities (or other game effects) that modify spells to have their abilities persist and also still take effect when put into a magic item?

Say you have a class ability that mimics a metamagic effect, you make a scroll, would the spell cast from that scroll have that same effect?

why/why not?

Living spells are all ad hoc adjudication anyway but finding precedent in items would help justify more interesting living spells too.

Energy transformation field and other spells that store and recast spells are another place this could be important
Contingency would probably be the most relevant to actual games and common TO.

From my irl group's chat,

The short answer is that they're not retained, as there's not an easy and predetermined way to modify the item's pricing.

Only place it really touches upon such things is in the magic item creation rules in the core rulebook.

"Prices presented in the magic item descriptions (the gold piece value following the item's slot) are the market value, which is generally twice what it costs the creator to make the item.

Since different classes get access to certain spells at different levels, the prices for two characters to make the same item might actually be different. An item is only worth two times what the caster of the lowest possible level can make it for. Calculate the market price based on the lowest possible level caster, no matter who makes the item.

Not all items adhere to these formulas. First and foremost, these few formulas aren't enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staves follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls."

and
"While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal."

Some things they called out as being set in stone, like item DCs.
"Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers
Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

So stuff like the Spell Focus feat normally have no effect on item powers, even if the creator possessed it.

Staves are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DCs.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly

There are a few class abilities that let you treat wands and scrolls like staves (i.e. using your ability scores to set the DCs and caster level instead of the item's caster level), but they're rare as hell.

thanks icifur

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-14, 11:24 AM
Say you have a class ability that mimics a metamagic effect, you make a scroll, would the spell cast from that scroll have that same effect?

I have to split the question into 2 distinct situations:

1. Casting a spell from scroll and using your metamagic mimicking ability
This should definitively work, since casting a spell from scroll is handled the same way as casting it normally.

2. Using your metamagic mimicking ability to create a scroll
Unsure about this. I would decide this after reading the explicit ability. I'll look further into this when I have some time. When I find anything I let you know..^^

unseenmage
2021-01-14, 12:34 PM
I have to split the question into 2 distinct situations:

1. Casting a spell from scroll and using your metamagic mimicking ability
This should definitively work, since casting a spell from scroll is handled the same way as casting it normally.

2. Using your metamagic mimicking ability to create a scroll
Unsure about this. I would decide this after reading the explicit ability. I'll look further into this when I have some time. When I find anything I let you know..^^

While it is the second I'm most interested in the first seems to have a lot of (if not more debate online from what I'm seeing.

Aracor
2021-01-14, 04:14 PM
It's hard to say as far as rules as intended.
Example: Sudden Maximize feat.

If a caster with the Sudden Maximize feat makes a wand of Fireball, there are actually MULTIPLE questions here.

#1: CAN they craft a Wand of Maximized Fireball? That would generally be a 6th level spell slot, which is beyond the power of what can be stored into a wand.

I lean toward the answer being 'No' here. Because even though the feat is providing the "power boost", it's still beyond the power of what a wand can hold.

#2: CAN they craft a Wand of Maximized Magic Missile?

The answer to this question is unquestionably yes. Because that would be a 4th level slot, which is fine.

#3a: What would be the COST of the Wand of Maximized Magic Missile?

This is harder to say. What is the minimum caster level for a wand? In this particular caster's case, the answer is 1. But the minimum caster level for a 4th level spell is NORMALLY 7.

For this particular spell, it's probably better off being a higher level caster, but for the sake of argument it's worth considering.

Personally, I rule that for creating an item, the cost is actually based on the modified spell-slot level despite the fact that this caster has a "shortcut". And to keep things consistent, I'll also rule that the minimum caster level is 7 because otherwise you'd be able to get really weird interactions with certain spells. For making items, they'll still have to shell out the full amount even though their particular spells are different.

Here's the trick: None of this is Rules as Written. The rules simply don't cover the situation. I can see the argument being the other way.

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-14, 10:35 PM
While it is the second I'm most interested in the first seems to have a lot of (if not more debate online from what I'm seeing.

I have looked deeper into the topic but the results are still in a grey area..

The problem is that I can't find any example of how the crafting requirements for a metamagic spell looks like. We have 2 possible option (example for a maximized fireball):

1: Scribe Scroll; Maximize Spell, Fireball...

or

2: Scribe Scroll; Maximize Fireball..

Imho it has to be 1, since with this option a 2nd crafter could provide the metamagic feat (which is normally accepted as a legal thing).
While option 2 would not allow a 2nd crafter to provide the metamagic feat.

Unless someone can find an explicit ruling how scribing metamagic scrolls work, it would be a DM decision. But even then, you should expect that option (1) is more likely, due to the mentioned reason.

Further Metamagic calls out that the spell is cast slightly different, which indicates that e.g. Maximize Fireball is just a Fireball spell with a prefix and not a new spell for itself. This further provides that option 1 seems more plausible imho.

As a spellcaster’s knowledge of magic grows, she can learn to cast spells in ways slightly different from the ways in which the spells were originally designed or learned. Preparing and casting a spell in such a way ...
"Preparing a spell in such a way" indicates that it seems to be the same spell-name with the added prefix.

unseenmage
2021-01-14, 11:47 PM
I have looked deeper into the topic but the results are still in a grey area..

The problem is that I can't find any example of how the crafting requirements for a metamagic spell looks like. We have 2 possible option (example for a maximized fireball):

1: Scribe Scroll; Maximize Spell, Fireball...

or

2: Scribe Scroll; Maximize Fireball..

Imho it has to be 1, since with this option a 2nd crafter could provide the metamagic feat (which is normally accepted as a legal thing).
While option 2 would not allow a 2nd crafter to provide the metamagic feat.

Unless someone can find an explicit ruling how scribing metamagic scrolls work, it would be a DM decision. But even then, you should expect that option (1) is more likely, due to the mentioned reason.

Further Metamagic calls out that the spell is cast slightly different, which indicates that e.g. Maximize Fireball is just a Fireball spell with a prefix and not a new spell for itself. This further provides that option 1 seems more plausible imho.

"Preparing a spell in such a way" indicates that it seems to be the same spell-name with the added prefix.

Are you looking at metamagic as precedent for the non metamagic, spell modifying effects which were originally asked about?

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-15, 12:30 AM
Are you looking at metamagic as precedent for the non metamagic, spell modifying effects which were originally asked about?

Yeah I included that into my thoughts. Otherwise we would be in a state where a 12th lvl warlock with Scribe Scroll could access metamagic versions of a spell without needing the metamagic feat for it (because the metamagic version would be just "another spell" that merely requires a higher UMD roll).
I tried to view it from several point of views (crafting rules for multiple crafter providing the requirements; metamagic rules section; 12th lvl warlock) and all lead to the same result that the metamagic feat should be requirement for the crafting process.

Finally the Primary Source rule gives the Metamagic rules section supremacy for its topic. So anything that doesn't call out an exception has to follow it. What this means is, that if you should design a nonmagical option yourself, you would need to call it out as exception. Nothing stops you from doing so. To give a similar example: crafting normally involves that the crafter must provide any expensive spell material components for the needed spell. Warlock's "Imbue Item" ability ignores that by faking the entire spell cast (which includes the material component) with a simple UMD check. Therefore you could design/homebrew nonmagical metamagic feat option that are allowed to be used for crafting purposes. But you should be aware of the abuse potential (cheaper magic items = stuff that would normally fall into epic prices could become accessible earlier / metamagic spells could be more easily fitted into wands/rods/..), so don't take this to lightly.

unseenmage
2021-01-15, 07:30 AM
Hmm. I still feel like we still might be missing each other a bit here.

It is not non magic spell alterations I'm looking at, but non metamagic effects that alter spells. Like these. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624832-Non-Metamagic-Spell-Modificarion)

Now that I have a healthy list of such I'm curious what processes these altered traits of spells would.pwrsist through.

Could you have a War Magic Ocular Spell as a Living Spell? As an Intelligent Magic Item superpower? As a Spellstitched SLA?

What of other more exotic combinations of race, PrC, and equipment all modifying the same spell?

Ultimately I'm considering making a random list similar to the random scroll loot chart that one could roll on to 'spice up' spells found as loot, SLAs on monsters, spell effects in Energy Transformation Fields, traps, etc etc.

Though now that non magic spell effects are mentioned I DO have a few more interesting Qs to ponder. :)

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-15, 07:53 AM
Hmm. I still feel like we still might be missing each other a bit here.

It is not non magic spell alterations I'm looking at, but non metamagic effects that alter spells. Like these. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624832-Non-Metamagic-Spell-Modificarion)

Now that I have a healthy list of such I'm curious what processes these altered traits of spells would.pwrsist through.

Could you have a War Magic Ocular Spell as a Living Spell? As an Intelligent Magic Item superpower? As a Spellstitched SLA?

What of other more exotic combinations of race, PrC, and equipment all modifying the same spell?

Ultimately I'm considering making a random list similar to the random scroll loot chart that one could roll on to 'spice up' spells found as loot, SLAs on monsters, spell effects in Energy Transformation Fields, traps, etc etc.

Though now that non magic spell effects are mentioned I DO have a few more interesting Qs to ponder. :)

Ah, now I get it (at least I hope so^^).
The problem that might occur here is that generally the things that you can craft are "set into stone" (e.g. scrolls allow for spell up to 9th lvl (unless you have epic feats) in combination with metamagic). In addition to the presented possible items, you can further rely on "custom magic item rules" if the DM agrees. But you still would have to follow that guideline (custom magic items). Since the options you want to customize aren't reflected by the custom magic item rules, you would need to expect a lot of DM fiat to let this pass. Still within legal boundaries, but a lot of DM fiat, since he needs to make up values/modifiers for the customization to fit your needs (because the altered item needs to be more expensive than a standard item).