PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next artificer armorer reimagined (PEACH)

stoutstien
2021-01-14, 11:15 AM
Arcane armor
3rd level features
Your metallurgical pursuits have led to you learning how to store magic in your armor and use that magic in new ways. As an action, you can turn a suit of armor you are wearing into arcane armor, provide you have smith’s tools in hand.
You gain the following benefits while wearing this armor:
• If the armor normally has a Strength retirement, the arcane armor lacks this requirement for you.
• You can use the armor as a spell casting focus for your artifice spells
• The armor attaches to you and can’t be removed against your will. The armor can expand covering your body and can replace any missing limbs, functioning identically to a limb it replaces.
• You can don or doff the armor as an action.

The armor remains imbued in this way until you don another suit of armor. It will also fade after a number of days equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum of one day) if the armorer dies.

Arcane charges

Your arcane armor can produce arcane charges that can be used to impower your armor. You have a number of charges equal to your proficiency bonus. These charges can be used to fuel your armor modifications and controlled overloads.

Rapid recharge

as a bonus action, you can gain 1d4 charges . This feature cannot bring your charges past your current maximum. You can’t do so again until you finish a long rest or until you expend a spell slot on this feature.

Armor modifications

As an action, you can expend one charge to power a temporary enhancement that is part of your arcane armor. Charges used this way will only replenish if you use your action to deactivate it or if armor stops being your arcane armor. If the component being charged is a weapon you can add your Intelligence modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, to attack and damage rolls with that weapon.
• Thunder Gauntlets. You can power your armor’s gantlets. Each fist can be charged in this way, each requiring a separate charge. When charged, your armored fist count as a light simple melee weapon and deals thunder damage equal to twice your damage modifier on a hit.
• Lightning Launcher. You make a gemlike node appears on one of your armored fists or on the chest (your choice). It counts as a simple ranged weapon, with a normal range of 90 feet and a long range of 300 feet, and it deals 1d6 lightning damage on a hit
• Integrated weapon. You attach a simple weapon to your armor. A weapon infused in this way attaches to your armor, becoming inseparable from you.
As a bonus action, you can retract the weapon into your armor or extend it from there. While it is extended, you can use the weapon as if you were holding it, and you can't use that hand(s) for other purposes.
• Infiltrator. The armor’s weight becomes negligible, and it becomes formfitting and wearable under clothing. If the armor normally imposes disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks, the power armor doesn’t.

Arcane spike

You can use your arcane charges to manifest short bursts of power. Charges spend on arcane overloads with replenish at the start of your next turn.
• Powered Steps. Your walking speed increases by 5 feet until the start of your next turn. You can use this burst multiple time in the same round, adding an additional 5 feet per charge.
• Defensive Field. When you take damage, you can expend a charge as a reaction to erect a damping field to reduce that damage. You damage you receive is reduced by an amount equally to your Intelligence modifier and any sub-sequence damage is also reduced. The amount reduced is one less than the previous reduction to a minimum of 1 damage. Any time you take damage while the field is active you can expend an additional controlled overload to reset the damage reduction back to maximum amount. The field dissipates at the start of your next turn.
• Charged Strike. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon holding an arcane charge, you can deal an extra 1d6 lightning damage to that target.
• Concussive Blow when you hit a creature with a melee attack with a weapon holding an arcane charge, you can cause the target to have disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn, as the armor magically emits a distracting pulse when the creature attacks someone else.
Extra Attack
Starting at 5th level, you can attack twice, rather than once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Controlled overload
Level 9 feature

You learn to produce short bursts of arcane charges to fuel your arcane armor beyond it’s normal limits. When you expend an arcane charge on a controlled overload you can choice to also spike your charges. You create an additional number of charges equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum of +1) that last for 10 minutes. theses charges do not count against your total charge limit but they do not recharge at the start of your next turn and any of these extra charges dissipate at the end of the duration if not used. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Refined armor

Lv 15 feature
• You can pick 2 armor modifications. These modifications no longer require arcane charges.
• You can pick 1 controlled overload and it no longer costs a charge the first time you activate it per round. If the controlled overload costs more than one charge the cost is reduced by one.

Rough output of each set up:
Lv 6- 18 INT
• Integrated +1 loading light crossbow + charged strike spam (2 charges and one infusion need per round) -17.2 DPR
• +1 Thunder gauntlets + concussive blow (2-3 charges and one infusion need per round)- 14 DPR
• Integrated +1 greatclub + charged strike + BB (2 charges and one infusion)- 12.8/19.6. subtract ~2.5 if using concussive blow in place of charged strike.
• Homunculus servant (one infusion) – adds 3.7 DPR as a bonus action to any of the above.

Kane0
2021-01-15, 03:52 AM
I like it, it offers a nice array of options. I’m confused on controlled overloads though, do expended charges come back at end of turn or after a rest?

stoutstien
2021-01-15, 07:32 AM
I like it, it offers a nice array of options. I’m confused on controlled overloads though, do expended charges come back at end of turn or after a rest?

clearing up wording is the next step. the controlled overload features uses charges but those recharge at the start of the artificer's next turn. the goal is to have of a pool of charges that can be spent on long term effects under armor mod and short term effects controlled overload. im going to flip the name from the lv 9 feature as well. arcane spike fits better.

Kane0
2021-01-15, 03:20 PM
Oh right, reminds me of incarnum. You can permanently invest charges for things like a lightning launcher and with any leftover charges you can burn them each turn for temporary bonuses like the speed increase.
Are you going to limit how many options are available at the one time ie infusions/battlemaster maneuvers? Having more than 3-5 would probably be beyond the ‘standard’

stoutstien
2021-01-15, 04:03 PM
Oh right, reminds me of incarnum. You can permanently invest charges for things like a lightning launcher and with any leftover charges you can burn them each turn for temporary bonuses like the speed increase.
Are you going to limit how many options are available at the one time ie infusions/battlemaster maneuvers? Having more than 3-5 would probably be beyond the ‘standard’

i am going to try to strike the sweet spot of using the charges as the be control factor. with 4 passive options and 4 active options the total potential combinations looks really high. turn to turn the charge limit will keep it from feeling like they have more than a battle master or monk. one thing I really didn't like about the official armorer is you kinda were pushed to pick a path and stick to it which irked me because artificers in my mind are support to be a little lacking in impact but making up for that in reactive adaptation and flexibility.

I wanted the armorer to have a feel of the battle master but the round to round decision making of monks.

in the end if 6 charges per rounds to high i might try a 3/4/5 charge split at level 3/6/15. will tone them down slightly and showcase the 9th level feature of granting 5 charges and might temp more to spend a spell slot for emergency recovery of charges

Kane0
2021-01-16, 04:25 AM
Yeah 4 and 4 sounds good, especially since once your prof bonus starts getting higher you can often stack them.

I’ve always looked at the armorer as intended for you to use both paths over the course of an adventuring day, swapping from one to the other as you used up their powers.

stoutstien
2021-01-16, 12:36 PM
Yeah 4 and 4 sounds good, especially since once your prof bonus starts getting higher you can often stack them.

I’ve always looked at the armorer as intended for you to use both paths over the course of an adventuring day, swapping from one to the other as you used up their powers.

IMO that was the biggest problem with the printed armorer. You want to switch armor modes but if you do, you would lose your infusions on the integrated weapons. Even more so if they wanted to swap between suits of armor for advance stealth.