PDA

View Full Version : Ruling Question on Detect Thoughts vs Invisible Target

kbob
2021-01-14, 12:56 PM
So detect thoughts has to be cast in a creature you see. If you cast it on a creature before it goes invisible, will you still have the effect up if it goes invisible afterwards? If so, would knowing it’s surface thoughts give you insight into where it is? Target: “I’m gonna go run over there to get away” or “stay here and remain hidden” or “I’m gonna cast X on Y over there from here” etc.
Also, would you be able to continue probing? It seams that it is only then that the target gets a save based on my reading.

“You initially learn the surface thoughts of the creature--what is most on its mind in that moment. As an action, you can either shift your attention to another creature's thoughts or attempt to probe deeper into the same creature's mind. If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails, you gain insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates). If it succeeds, the spell ends.”
Thoughts?

Lastly, I wanted to label this as “help” or “ruling question” or something if the like but I cannot find where you add labels/tags to posts. Any help on that?

Valmark
2021-01-14, 01:25 PM
If you cast it on a creature before it goes invisible, will you still have the effect up if it goes invisible afterwards?

If so, would knowing it’s surface thoughts give you insight into where it is? Target: “I’m gonna go run over there to get away” or “stay here and remain hidden” or “I’m gonna cast X on Y over there from here” etc.

Also, would you be able to continue probing? It seams that it is only then that the target gets a save based on my reading.
“You initially learn the surface thoughts of the creature--what is most on its mind in that moment. As an action, you can either shift your attention to another creature's thoughts or attempt to probe deeper into the same creature's mind. If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails, you gain insight into its reasoning (if any), its emotional state, and something that looms large in its mind (such as something it worries over, loves, or hates). If it succeeds, the spell ends.”
Thoughts?

Lastly, I wanted to label this as “help” or “ruling question” or something if the like but I cannot find where you add labels/tags to posts. Any help on that?

Yes, you would still have the effect on when it goes invisibile.

Yes if they think something specific about where they go. "I'm gonna go run over there" tells you nothing, "I'm gonna run into the right alley" is more specific.

Yes, you'd be able to probe deeper. The target gets a save only when you try to learn more then just surface thoughts and after it discovers you are doing that (unless you move off).

Not sure about the tags, I think you needed to set it up when you created the thread.

Droppeddead
2021-01-14, 03:58 PM
So detect thoughts has to be cast in a creature you see. If you cast it on a creature before it goes invisible, will you still have the effect up if it goes invisible afterwards? If so, would knowing it’s surface thoughts give you insight into where it is? Target: “I’m gonna go run over there to get away” or “stay here and remain hidden” or “I’m gonna cast X on Y over there from here” etc.

First of all, just because you can detect someone's thoughts doesn't mean that you automatically know where they are.

Either way thoughts like "I'm going to cast X on Y" goes way beyond surface thoughts, learning that would require you to probe deeper. Surface thoughts are more along the lines of "holy **** I'm scared" or "I need to do something!" or "I have to run!"

Valmark
2021-01-14, 04:28 PM
First of all, just because you can detect someone's thoughts doesn't mean that you automatically know where they are.

Either way thoughts like "I'm going to cast X on Y" goes way beyond surface thoughts, learning that would require you to probe deeper. Surface thoughts are more along the lines of "holy **** I'm scared" or "I need to do something!" or "I have to run!"

Don't think so- consider that the emotional state is only discovered by deeper probing, so being scared wouldn't fit.

As a DM I would allow Detect Thoughts to detect what one creature plans on doing, since they are thinking about that (presumably) and it doesn't really fall within the categories presented by deep probing.

kbob
2021-01-14, 05:23 PM
I would agree that whatever they are actually thinking about doing or actively thinking about would be the surface thoughts. The “why” or deeper thoughts and emotions would require probing.

Mastikator
2021-01-14, 06:17 PM
I would agree that whatever they are actually thinking about doing or actively thinking about would be the surface thoughts. The “why” or deeper thoughts and emotions would require probing.

Unless they're the villain and are monologuing/rehersing their backstory, motives and evil plans to themselves. :smallbiggrin: