PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Who gets this spell?

JonBeowulf
2021-01-14, 04:34 PM
I'm 99% done converting an OD&D adventure. The last bit is deciding on which spell lists this new-to-5e spell belongs.

Protection from Missiles [C] (level 3 abjuration)
Cast time: 1 action
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: concentration, up to 1 minute

For the duration, the target is protected from non-magical physical ranged attacks. All such attacks against the target are made with disadvantage and the target gains resistance to non-magical bludgeoning and piercing damage.

This is a significant nerf from the original (https://dungeonsdragons.fandom.com/wiki/Protection_from_normal_missiles) and I think it's on par with other 3rd level Protection spells.

Cleric and Druid are fairly obvious choices. Paladin? Ranger? How about Wizard so EKs could get it (eventually)? I'm not a fan of putting in on the Bard list since they can just go grab it later if they want.

BTW, OD&D had some pretty good creatures and stuff in it. It was a freaking deathtrap for characters, though.

king_steve
2021-01-14, 04:48 PM
Wind Wall is somewhat comparable but provides complete protection from missiles, including magical arrows and bolts (arrows and bolts will automatically miss). It also does damage and provides some battle field control by creating a wall up to 50 ft long, 15 ft high, 1 ft wide.

Wind Wall is on the Druid, Ranger, Nature Domain Cleric, Artillerist Artificer and Genie Warlock lists.

If it was a choice between Wind Wall and Protection from Missiles as written, I don't think I'd ever take Protection from Missiles.

Darth Credence
2021-01-14, 04:53 PM
I agree that cleric and druid get it. I think I'd go with paladin, too - maybe just whatever oath is dedicated to protection. I don't think I'd give it to wizards. The feel of the spell to me is some other power is helping to protect the person it's cast on, so it just doesn't feel like a wizard. While it would be nice for the eldritch knight, it would fall to me under the difference between an EK and a paladin. Is there a warlock patron that would be defensively motivated? Maybe give it to them by the same idea. But I think sticking to just cleric, druid, and paladin is appropriate.

Naanomi
2021-01-14, 05:10 PM
Wizard is fine to me... feels abjuration-y (like a variation on shield)

JonBeowulf
2021-01-14, 05:56 PM
Wind Wall is somewhat comparable but provides complete protection from missiles, including magical arrows and bolts (arrows and bolts will automatically miss). It also does damage and provides some battle field control by creating a wall up to 50 ft long, 15 ft high, 1 ft wide.

Wind Wall is on the Druid, Ranger, Nature Domain Cleric, Artillerist Artificer and Genie Warlock lists.

If it was a choice between Wind Wall and Protection from Missiles as written, I don't think I'd ever take Protection from Missiles.

I didn't even think to compare it to Wind Wall. Looks like the auto-miss feature is back in:

For the duration, the target is protected from physical ranged attacks. All such attacks against the target automatically miss.

On second thought, how about I keep it as originally re-written but drop it to a level 2 spell?

So there appears to be agreement that it belongs on Cleric and Druid lists. Paladin and Wizard are still debatable.

kaervaak
2021-01-14, 06:01 PM
Warding Wind is a 2nd level spell that's very similar to this one. It does some other stuff (deafens you and anyone nearby), is only range of self, and doesn't give damage resistance, but it lasts 10 minutes.

JonBeowulf
2021-01-14, 06:09 PM
These wind spells are going to be the death of me! I thought I was almost done but now I see I have to take it all the way back to design...

How about I make it a reaction, increase the range to 30' (target you can see), full immunity to ranged weapon attacks? Would that make it a decent level 3 spell? It looks too good to be level 2.

I like this version for Cleric, Druid, and Wizard... still unsure about Paladin.

Kane0
2021-01-14, 06:40 PM
Wizard list, maybe as a 2nd level spell?

Sharur
2021-01-14, 06:42 PM
These wind spells are going to be the death of me! I thought I was almost done but now I see I have to take it all the way back to design...

What do you want this spell to do that "Wind Wall" doesn't do? I.e. What purpose is it serving in your adventure that made you want to port it over?

I would argue you should answer that question first, and that answer should guide the design.

kaervaak
2021-01-14, 07:01 PM

How about I make it a reaction, increase the range to 30' (target you can see), full immunity to ranged weapon attacks? Would that make it a decent level 3 spell? It looks too good to be level 2.

I like this version for Cleric, Druid, and Wizard... still unsure about Paladin.

I always thought it would be great to have something that worked like this. Basically, throw up a forcefield that blocks a barrage of arrows, a rockslide, or dragon's breath.

How about this:

Force Bubble
3rd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you or a creature you can see within range are targeted with a ranged attack or must make a dexterity saving throw against an effect that would deal half damage on a successful save
Range: 20 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You conjure a 20 foot radius impenetrable bubble of force centered on you that protects all within from damage. Until the beginning of your next turn, any ranged attack against you or any creature within the bubble automatically fails. Additionally, when any of those creature are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, they instead take no damage if they succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if they fail.

Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard

JonBeowulf
2021-01-14, 11:01 PM
What do you want this spell to do that "Wind Wall" doesn't do? I.e. What purpose is it serving in your adventure that made you want to port it over?

I would argue you should answer that question first, and that answer should guide the design.

It's in the published adventure and there's no Protection from Missiles in 5e... figured I'd need to port it. It never occurred to me to look at the Wind X spells.

So, if I want to keep it, I need to design something similar to the Protection from X spells while being different enough from Wind X spells. I do like the flavor of improved Shield. I'll keep fiddling with it -- there's enough material in this thread to make something appropriate and cool.

OD&D has it as a Magic User spell but a cleric NPC has the spell. SMH. I plan on adding the spell as a scroll so they can take it with them.

MrStabby
2021-01-15, 07:13 AM
Ranger, druid, cleric, artificer.

diplomancer
2021-01-15, 07:55 AM
I think it's a very Merliny spell, so Wizards and Druids. Maybe Artificers and Clerics too. Definitely NOT Bard, Sorcerer and Warlock. I'd say no to Rangers and Paladins as well.

JonBeowulf
2021-01-15, 10:12 AM
Okay, here's what I'm going with:

Protection from Missiles (level 3 abjuration) Artificer, Cleric, Wizard
Cast time: 1 action Range: touch Duration: concentration, up to 10 minutes
Cast time: 1 reaction Range: 30' Duration: 1 round
This spell can be cast as either an action or a reaction. If cast as an action, the spell targets one creature. If cast as a reaction, it targets all creatures within range and lasts until the end of the next turn of the triggering attacker. The spell creates a magical barrier around each individual target, similar to the Shield spell. For the duration, the target(s) is/are protected from physical ranged attacks and the Magic Missile spell. All such attacks against the target(s) automatically miss.

Casting as an action gives it some out-of-combat use. Not for Druids or Rangers because nothing in here is nature (and they don't get Shield). Dropped Paladin because they're strong enough and y'all made good points about it not really fitting. Artificer was a good catch.

Darc_Vader
2021-01-16, 08:46 PM
Okay, here's what I'm going with:

Casting as an action gives it some out-of-combat use. Not for Druids or Rangers because nothing in here is nature (and they don't get Shield). Dropped Paladin because they're strong enough and y'all made good points about it not really fitting. Artificer was a good catch.

You should probably have some wording in there about what you are reacting to. Like if you look at Shield it’s worded as ‘casting time: 1 reaction, which you take when...’

JonBeowulf
2021-01-17, 12:01 AM
You should probably have some wording in there about what you are reacting to. Like if you look at Shield it’s worded as ‘casting time: 1 reaction, which you take when...’

You're right... that's going in there. Thanks.