PDA

View Full Version : Gur the rabid halfling

Rowanomicon
2007-11-06, 11:23 PM
I just joined a 3.5 D&D campaign at 6th level and I thought I'd post my character on these boards for review and feedback. Feel free to suggest where you think I should/could take this build.

I don't have the character on an online profiler. If I ever do I'll link to it in this thread.

The campaign is in Forgotten Realms so some things come form there. other than that I'm pretty sure it's only PHB and CoW.

So, without further ado, Gur, the rabid halfling!

ECL: 6

Race: Strongheart Halfling

Class: Barb 1 / Fight 4 / Shou Disciple 1

Str: 14
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 12

Feats:
Bullheaded
Strong Souled
Owlbear Berserker
Improved Grapple
Dodge
Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)
Clever Wrestler
Earth's Embrace
Battle Jumper

Skills: Ranks Only (Including All Mods)
Balance: 4 (5)
Climb: 4 (4)
Jump: 8 (13)
Knowledge (local) (Taer): 2 (3)
Ride: 3 (6)
Tumble: 4 (7)

Equipment:
Frost Handaxe
+1 Breastplate with Shocking Spikes
Masterwork Shortbow (20 arrows)
9 Potions Cure Light Wounds
2 pairs Masterwork Manacles
Belt Pouch
Monk's Outfit
Bedroll
7 Days of Rations
3 Potions Jump
Masterwork potions Belt
Masterwork Bandelier
5 Oils Magic Weapon
Boots of Striding and Springing
4 bottles Fire Wine

Any questions, comments, feedback, and/or suggestions?

Rowanomicon
2007-11-07, 10:05 PM
It seems I have either stumbled upon the perfect build (no has any suggestions for it) or the most boring build (everyone falls asleep before be able to comment).

tyckspoon
2007-11-07, 10:23 PM
I'm not familiar with some of the things you're using, so I can't comment on the specifics, but in general:

If you're planning to grapple things, you're starting at a pretty big disadvantage by being a Small race. I assume the feats you've chosen are aimed at helping with that, but there's only so much they can do; Size differences make a huge difference in a grapple.

Is there any particular reason you need/want four levels in Fighter? Switching one or two of those to Barbarian would give you better class features (Uncanny Dodge is handy), bigger hit dice, and more skill points to play with. That will probably require you to drop a feat or two, although I think it'd be worth it; Dodge can be sacrificed with relatively little pain [unless you're planning on taking the feat trees it opens later] and so can Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike). Or is that one part of your requirements for the Prestige Class?

If you want to really make use of your Rage, Extra Rage and/or Extend Rage would be handy. If Shou Disciple advances Rage, you can probably go without, but it'll be a while before you can reliably rage in most encounters.

Zincorium
2007-11-07, 11:02 PM
First off, if it's a 3.5 campaign, acquire the Player's Guide to Faerun. It updates most of the material from the campaign setting, which is 3.0 period, and fixes some details.

1. Regions- they screw your build up mightily. You didn't mention which one you're from, but as it stands you need to have Shou Expatriate or Thesk to qualify for Shou Disciple. These are not among those listed for strongheart halflings, so you either need to get with your DM or bust out some points for knowledge (local) for those areas.

2. Your race's favored class is rogue. Unless your group doesn't play with the experience penalty rules, you have one and it sucks.

3. Owlbear berserker- DON'T TAKE IT.
A. You already have improved unarmed strike.
B. This means that any benefit you'd get, you already have. Or better.
C. There is both a regional requirement and character story requirement you'd have to meet.

4. Feats. You have 3 from levels, 3 from fighter bonus feats, and 1 from your race. You have nine listed on your character sheet. I don't see any flaws listed.

So it does not compute. Fix that. First by removing Owlbear berserker. Then by removing either or both of your regional feats. They're terrible and you CANNOT have more than one regional feat. No matter whether you had bonus feats at first level or not. And make sure all your feats gained from fighter levels actually allow that.

5. You have equipment but no backstory. This does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Generally, you cannot screw up too badly on equipment, so there's not going to be much to say on that subject.

Rowanomicon
2007-11-08, 12:48 AM
I am unfamiliar with playing in Forgotten Realms and therefore unfamiliar with regional feats, but someone who is helped me with choosing a region (Rashiman, I believe..?) and regional feats. I believe the race grants an extra regional feat...

Yes, as I said in the first post, it is a 3.5 game. Again, not familiar with FG, but I think the book they have/use is the FG Compendium.

Don't have my character sheet/book in front of me but doesn't Owlbear Berserker grant extra damage (1d12/round?) fro grappling while in a rage?

Dodge and WF (US) are both for getting into the PrC.

I know small grapplers aren't uber, but, with feats and stuff, he is useful. Of course I am having second thoughts about this build, but it was made very very (I cannot stress this enough) hastily so as to be part of a session that was imminently starting.

The character has a backstory. Granted, it's not the longest or most complex one I've ever come up with due to time constraints at the time, but that's not what i want to discuss in this thread.

4 Fighter levels were necessary for feats. I know, I rarely ever put more than 2 in any given build, but haste had something to do with this one.

Extra/Extend Rage are both feats I'm looking at taking in the future.

Zincorium
2007-11-08, 01:06 AM
Strongheart halflings get a bonus feat, yes, but it's not a bonus regional feat. It's just a feat, and you're only allowed one of that specific type. Considering that the regional feats you've taken are extremely lackluster (slightly better than the core save-boosting feats, which also suck), they aren't a great loss.

Strongheart halflings also can only take the starting regions of Luiren or Strongheart halfling (without DM permission to do otherwise, of course) and you need Thesk or Shou Expatriate to go into Shou Disciple at all.

Owlbear berserker allows you to do 1d6 (or 1d4, accounting for your small size) damage without the penalty for doing lethal damage.

By virtue of improved unarmed strike and shou disciple, you already do a 1d4 (for being small) and have the option of going lethal or nonlethal damage. So definitely not worth the feat.

As far as the character in general, human will work better for 90% of what you've got. If you've got races of faerun available and want to be a grappler, go for the Jotunbrud feat, it allows you to be treated as large size for a lot of stuff, including grapples.

Edit:
And as far as region goes, that is kind of a big deal for forgotten realms games. Look through what's available and pick something that really catches your eye.

Rashemen is a Russia-esque country of frosty wilderness rules by witches (good ones) and where most warriors are berserkers. It's in constant war with an evil country of Thay, and has been for quite some time.

The best known NPC from Rashemen is Minsc. Google him. You'll probably get a kick out of it.

toddex
2007-11-08, 01:09 AM
I am unfamiliar with playing in Forgotten Realms and therefore unfamiliar with regional feats, but someone who is helped me with choosing a region (Rashiman, I believe..?) and regional feats. I believe the race grants an extra regional feat...

Yes, as I said in the first post, it is a 3.5 game. Again, not familiar with FG, but I think the book they have/use is the FG Compendium.

Don't have my character sheet/book in front of me but doesn't Owlbear Berserker grant extra damage (1d12/round?) fro grappling while in a rage?

Dodge and WF (US) are both for getting into the PrC.

I know small grapplers aren't uber, but, with feats and stuff, he is useful. Of course I am having second thoughts about this build, but it was made very very (I cannot stress this enough) hastily so as to be part of a session that was imminently starting.

The character has a backstory. Granted, it's not the longest or most complex one I've ever come up with due to time constraints at the time, but that's not what i want to discuss in this thread.

4 Fighter levels were necessary for feats. I know, I rarely ever put more than 2 in any given build, but haste had something to do with this one.

Extra/Extend Rage are both feats I'm looking at taking in the future.

You want to be a grappler go for it lol. Halfling grappler is going to get out grappled by alot of things though theyre just telling you that now. No idea why you took the 1 level barb and no others. Honestly id recommend a monk fighter build. Or just straight up monk. Monk fighter would get you into reaping mauler from the complete warrior at level 7 while straight up monk would get you in at level 8. If you really dont like the class just consider the feat clever wrestling from the complete warrior.

--

Nvm see you took that feet. So you have the complete warrior why not go for reaping mauler?

Rowanomicon
2007-11-08, 01:18 AM
I have the feat Clever Wrestler (wrestling?).

To be quite honest grappling wasn't my idea. My idea was a halfling barabrian, it was one of the other players who helped me with this build. I am not very familiar with most splat books as I don't own many and an certainly not familiar with FR.

He's also the one that talked me into taking 4 levels in Fighter and the PrC. I was just kinda figuring whatever I'll try this new PrC out. Like I said I didn't have much time.

Now I'm kinda seeing how bad this build is, and it seems that it's not even legal...

EDIT: that's not to say that it's ineffective, but the "rabid halfling" idea could be made much more effective.

EDIT2: I don't know if I would be allowed to rebuild my character, but I might be if I explain to them that as it is it's breaking rules (a rule?).
Anyway assuming the same stats:
15, 14, 14, 13, 12, 12
Any idea on a better build for a raging halfling?
It's best to stay away form Frenzied Berserker as the DM has a personal vendetta against the PrC. Which is too bad because that was my first choice for a PrC.