PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Psylocke Build (Bladesinger)

Zaile
2021-01-15, 10:12 PM
Hey playground, will be starting a new game soon and I wanted to build a Shadow-blade user Bladesinger that mimics Psylocke from X-Men.

Rules and build so far:

All books are allowed, can get away with 1 UA thing, but not more.
Rolling 4d6, drop lowest (reroll all 1s and 2s until there are none) Will likely have stats for ANY multiclass
May be starting anywhere from 3rd to 7th level (adventure unknown)
Kalashtar race (Tasha's moveable bonuses allowed)
Focusing on spells like Mind sliver, telekinesis, telepathic bond, Tasha's mind whip, hypnotic pattern, steel wind strike, mental prison, etc.
DM is generous with stats, but monsters are tougher, experience is lower, armors like plate and magic items are rare and at least 1 tier behind
More than 1 multiclass is frowned upon.
Any ideas if/when/what to multiclass with?

I was thinking starting level 1 in one of these, then BS 6 for extra attack, then a second (or third) level

Paladin 2 for smite & fighting style (Dueling, Def, blindsight, cantrips)
Rogue 2 for mobility and general ninja-feel, soulknife 3 is an option, but Kalastar telepathy and BS shadow-blade negate 2/3rds of it.
Monk 2 for mobility, unarmored Def (good chance for 16 Wis), and martial arts (would also let me use a longsword as monk weapon with Tasha's L2 variant)
Fighter 2 for style, action surge, and possibly F3 EK or Psi warrior
Artificer 3 (battlesmith?) not sure this adds a lot, since shadow blade can't be infused

Damon_Tor
2021-01-16, 12:48 AM
I can't really overstate the value of the thaumaturgy cantrip for a Shadowblade user: the ability to use an action to dim every flame-based light source within 30 feet of you (including magic flames) for 1 minute is extremely valuable since it's a reliable way to get advantage on all your attacks. You can get that with magic initiate though. Your multiclass should probably be a battlemaster fighter. It's an extremely strong skirmishing package: Booming Blade + Brace is extremely potent, and will definitely keep enemies from approaching you once they see what it can do to them. Every other round you can use Quick Toss to throw your blade as a bonus action, which is a nice little boost.

Kemev
2021-01-16, 02:16 AM
Mechanically, I wouldn't multiclass. If your goal is to mess people up with Shadowblade, then I don't think it makes sense to push off getting 2nd level spells, or second attack at level 6. And if you multiclass non-caster, you end up with fewer spell slots for Shield, Absorb Elements, and Misty Step (which is great with Booming Blade). It also means you put off high-powered psychic-themed spells like Synaptic Static or Telekinesis.

Thematically, you could make a case for multiclassing Rogue for the psychic assassin feel, and taking 2 levels to get Expertise and Cunning Action is probably enough to capture the essence of the character. It's a shame the Psi Knife is a non-bo with Shadow Blade... oh well :(

Zaile
2021-01-16, 06:35 AM
Mechanically, I wouldn't multiclass. If your goal is to mess people up with Shadowblade, then I don't think it makes sense to push off getting 2nd level spells, or second attack at level 6. And if you multiclass non-caster, you end up with fewer spell slots for Shield, Absorb Elements, and Misty Step (which is great with Booming Blade). It also means you put off high-powered psychic-themed spells like Synaptic Static or Telekinesis.

Thematically, you could make a case for multiclassing Rogue for the psychic assassin feel, and taking 2 levels to get Expertise and Cunning Action is probably enough to capture the essence of the character. It's a shame the Psi Knife is a non-bo with Shadow Blade... oh well :(

I see the benfits of bot a 1-level dip at 1st and not dipping at all. I was thinking of starting rogue for extra skills and sneak, then taking the second dip after BS 6. Since Thaumaturgy was mentioned, cleric like twilight could be gold at 1st level since I lose no slot progression and can use Bless for the first 3 levels of play.

Zaile
2021-01-16, 06:38 AM
I can't really overstate the value of the thaumaturgy cantrip for a Shadowblade user: the ability to use an action to dim every flame-based light source within 30 feet of you (including magic flames) for 1 minute is extremely valuable since it's a reliable way to get advantage on all your attacks. You can get that with magic initiate though. Your multiclass should probably be a battlemaster fighter. It's an extremely strong skirmishing package: Booming Blade + Brace is extremely potent, and will definitely keep enemies from approaching you once they see what it can do to them. Every other round you can use Quick Toss to throw your blade as a bonus action, which is a nice little boost.

This is a very awesome use of a cantrip! Makes me think starting twilight cleric isn't bad idea. Bless early on so I'm not useless til SBlade. Also get WIS/CHA saves so I don't have to invest a feat.