PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Creating a Hexblade Oathbreaker (Tips Welcomed!)

Pallock44
2021-01-16, 01:33 PM
If this build seems nooby it is because I am bit of a noob myself but I have so much fun just making the builds! I am not sure if my DPR calculations are accurate either. I am using 3 as an average for the d6 and 5 as an average for the d8.

Class: Paladin Oathbreaker X/Hexblade 1

Race: Custom Lineage

Rolled Stats: (+2 CHA from Race) STR: 15 CON: 14 DEX: 13 WIS: 12 INT: 12 CHA: 20

Level Progression: Paladin 1, Hex 2, Paladin 3-20. I wanted to take Hexblade ASAP as it would give huge improvement to my attacks I wasn't sure if DS or HB was more of a priority. I am hoping we can start at level 3 but that has not be decided yet.

Starting Feat: Polearm Master

Equipment: Spear, Shield, Chainmail Armor (Switch to plate as soon as I can)

Fighting Style: Duelist for extra damage then taking Defense after level 8 (allowed to switch according to Tasha's)

So at level 3 to a Hexblade Cursed target I can do 1d6+9+1d4+9 for an average of 23 damage per round while holding a 20 AC.
If you get your opportunity attack it increases to 35 damage per round.

At level 5 thanks to this increases to 1d6+10+1d6+10+1d4+10 for an average of 38 damage per round still holding 20 AC.
If you get your opportunity attack it increases to 51 damage per round.

At level 8 this damage increases to 1d6+15+1d6+15+1d4+15 which brings you to 53 damage per round with 20 AC.
If you get your opportunity attack it increases to 71 damage per round.

I am not sure how much stronger the enemies get from level 8 and on but here is where I would consider trading off the +2 damage for +1 AC. At a certain point I would assume +1 AC is drastically more important than a measly +8 damage max per round. This would bring you AC up to 21, assuming by now you have found a +1 shield you would be at 22.

At level 11 thanks to Improved Divine Smite this damage increases to 1d8+1d6+16+1d8+1d6+16+1d4+1d8+16 which brings you to 71 damage per round with 20 AC.
If you get your opportunity attack it increases to 95 damage per round.

Toss in the Hex spell and that's an extra d6 on each hit.

Keep in mind this does not account for critical hits that would be stacked with Divine Smite and it is based on a single target battle

Also do not forget your 1 level dip of Hexblade gets you Shield as well and an extra short rest spell slot giving you a possible 27 AC making you extremely difficult to hit, especially consistently.

I would probably grab Warcaster at level 4 Paladin so I can cast a spell if needed and so I can have some devastating OAs using BB. Then maybe Sentinel at level 8 Paladin or possible CON increase. Maybe Sentinel or something else at level 12 if I took Sentinel at 8.

I would love to hear what everyone else has to say on how to improve the damage output or the survivability. My focus with this build was consistent DPR that didn't require much or any resources. This one makes use of Hexblade which adds a solid amount of damage per round by the time you get to level 9.

Alternatively Hexblade 13/Oathbreaker 7: This would basically be a capstone build because it doesn't really come online until level 19 but:

At level 19 this damage would be 1d6+23+1d6+23+1d4+23+(OA)1d6+23 (extra damage=Hexblade Curse+Duelist+CHA(aura of hate)+CHA(lifedrinker)+CHA(modifier))
Your damage output would be 100 damage even I believe or 76 damage without Hexblade Curse. Which means you can do 76 damage per round without using any resources at all.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

My next build I am going to try a Berserker Oathbreaker!