PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Racial Emulation and Savage Progressions Transition Classes

TalonOfAnathrax
2021-01-17, 10:34 AM
Changelings can use the Racial Emulation feat to "count as" a specific race. Racial substitution levels aren't lost if you stop being that race after taking them, so a changeling with Racial Emulation can take multiple different racial substitution levels.
Is the same sort of thing possible with the Transition Classes from the Savage Progressions Transition Classes? The classes can be found on the wizards website (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a).

Of course taking them creates another question: can a changeling use their ability to hide the six flight-capable wings they'll grow if they take the Half-Fey, Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial Transition classes?

A build like Changeling Rogue 1 (Racial Emulation) / Half-Fey Transition Class 1 / Half-Fiend Transition Class 1 / Half-Celestial Transition Class 1 would have a pile of SLAs, stat increases, and resistances and immunities. Their type would be a mess (would they stack them, or just keep the last type gained?) and they'd have low BaB and skill point, but this seems like a fun build to experiment with! I'd want to slightly delay the 4 remaining levels available to finish the Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial transition classes, but the SLAs nicely suggest when each level should be taken! I could mix in some Initiator levels to stay relevant-ish in combat, and I'd have a bevy of SLAs + flight to be relevant out of combat. Not a Tier 1 build by any stretch, but it could be fun!

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-17, 11:26 AM
Changelings can use the Racial Emulation feat to "count as" a specific race. Racial substitution levels aren't lost if you stop being that race after taking them, so a changeling with Racial Emulation can take multiple different racial substitution levels.
Is the same sort of thing possible with the Transition Classes from the Savage Progressions Transition Classes? The classes can be found on the wizards website (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a).

Of course taking them creates another question: can a changeling use their ability to hide the six flight-capable wings they'll grow if they take the Half-Fey, Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial Transition classes?

A build like Changeling Rogue 1 (Racial Emulation) / Half-Fey Transition Class 1 / Half-Fiend Transition Class 1 / Half-Celestial Transition Class 1 would have a pile of SLAs, stat increases, and resistances and immunities. Their type would be a mess (would they stack them, or just keep the last type gained?) and they'd have low BaB and skill point, but this seems like a fun build to experiment with! I'd want to slightly delay the 4 remaining levels available to finish the Half-Fiend and Half-Celestial transition classes, but the SLAs nicely suggest when each level should be taken! I could mix in some Initiator levels to stay relevant-ish in combat, and I'd have a bevy of SLAs + flight to be relevant out of combat. Not a Tier 1 build by any stretch, but it could be fun!Racial Emulation only allows you to count as specific races of humanoid, which means it's of very limited usefulness for this. You already count as a humanoid, and counting as an elf or whatever won't help much if you want to take balor levels, or something. You could always take the elf and human and dwarf paragon classes if you really want, and you could take arcane archer and dwarven defender, too, I suppose. (Not that anyone would ever want to.)

Arcane archer and shadowcraft mage, on the other hand...

TalonOfAnathrax
2021-01-17, 11:50 AM
Racial Emulation only allows you to count as specific races of humanoid, which means it's of very limited usefulness for this. You already count as a humanoid, and counting as an elf or whatever won't help much if you want to take balor levels, or something. You could always take the elf and human and dwarf paragon classes if you really want, and you could take arcane archer and dwarven defender, too, I suppose. (Not that anyone would ever want to.)
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that Aasimar and Tiefling were humanoids, but now that I double check that's only for the Lesser versions.

So do you know if I could I emulate a Lesser Aasimar and enter the Aasimar/Half-Celestial Transition class? A Lesser Tiefling and enter the Tiefling/Half-Fiend Transition Class?
There doesn't seem to be a Lesser Feytouched, but that's not an issue. There's a normal 2-level acquired Half-Fey Savage Progression that anyone can take.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-17, 12:17 PM
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that Aasimar and Tiefling were humanoids, but now that I double check that's only for the Lesser versions.

So do you know if I could I emulate a Lesser Aasimar and enter the Aasimar/Half-Celestial Transition class? A Lesser Tiefling and enter the Tiefling/Half-Fiend Transition Class?
There doesn't seem to be a Lesser Feytouched, but that's not an issue. There's a normal 2-level acquired Half-Fey Savage Progression that anyone can take.The lesser planetouched are of the humanoid type, so you could count as them (and thus fulfill the racial prerequisites they qualify for).

Note that Racial Emulation on an undead changeling might make you immune to anything that only affects undead, for a nice little bonus. Necropolitan, anyone?