PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Breaking with sudden force

Biggus
2021-01-17, 10:03 PM
Under Breaking Items (PHB p.167) it says you can use a Str check to break an item with sudden force instead of dealing normal damage. What action type would this be? Would it count as an attack like sundering (which thus can potentially be attempted multiple times in a round) or a standard action (and therefore only once per round)?

KillianHawkeye
2021-01-18, 12:32 AM
I'd say it defaults to a Standard Action.

Biggus
2021-01-18, 11:09 AM
I'd say it defaults to a Standard Action.

That would be my guess, but it doesn't actually seem to say anywhere...

Telonius
2021-01-18, 12:44 PM
Here's (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#abilityChecks)the text:

Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill really applies. In these cases, you make an ability check. An ability check is a roll of 1d20 plus the appropriate ability modifier. Essentially, you’re making an untrained skill check.

It's hidden under the "Using Skills" heading.

And, under the "Time and Skill Checks" heading, same page:

Using a skill might take a round, take no time, or take several rounds or even longer. Most skill uses are standard actions, move actions, or full-round actions. Types of actions define how long activities take to perform within the framework of a combat round (6 seconds) and how movement is treated with respect to the activity. Some skill checks are instant and represent reactions to an event, or are included as part of an action.

These skill checks are not actions. Other skill checks represent part of movement.

So, DM call. I'd say that it would default to a Standard Action, since it seems closest to a regular attack.

Crake
2021-01-18, 02:05 PM
It seems to be more of a "case by case" sort of thing. There are monster abilities that can be escaped by utilizing these strength checks, like spider webbing, or the entangle and web spells, and all three are different actions. The spider webs are a standard action, the entangle spell is a full round action that also allows partial movement, and the web spell requires 1 round (not to be confused with a full round action).

So the answer seems to be "it depends".

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-18, 11:35 PM
It seems to be more of a "case by case" sort of thing. There are monster abilities that can be escaped by utilizing these strength checks, like spider webbing, or the entangle and web spells, and all three are different actions. The spider webs are a standard action, the entangle spell is a full round action that also allows partial movement, and the web spell requires 1 round (not to be confused with a full round action).

So the answer seems to be "it depends".

I would also go by a case by case. A loosely thin wooden door might only be a part of your move-action, while a thick iron door might need a full-round-action (running up from full distance for maximum momentum).

Biggus
2021-01-19, 12:32 AM
Here's (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#abilityChecks)the text:

It's hidden under the "Using Skills" heading.

And, under the "Time and Skill Checks" heading, same page:

So, DM call. I'd say that it would default to a Standard Action, since it seems closest to a regular attack.

I did find that, however I know that often important pieces of rules text are spread over two or three different locations in the books, so I wanted to check that I hadn't missed anything.

So it appears that the answer is "not specified", and that it should probably default to a standard action. Thanks all.