PDA

View Full Version : Descent into Avernus Help DMing (Spoilers)

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-01-17, 11:21 PM
So the characters are ready to head into Vanthampur Villa, which seems to have a bunch of generic cultists in it. To me it makes more sense to use more Dead Three Cultists. Am I missing something story wise if I swap them out? Any reason they have used the generic ones?

Unoriginal
2021-01-17, 11:47 PM
So the characters are ready to head into Vanthampur Villa, which seems to have a bunch of generic cultists in it. To me it makes more sense to use more Dead Three Cultists. Am I missing something story wise if I swap them out? Any reason they have used the generic ones?

The Vanthampurs and their cults are worshippers of Zariel, not of the Dead Three. Wouldn't make sense for the Dead Three to want Baldur's Gate in Hell like the Zariel cult wants to do, the Vanthampurs just manipulated the Dead Three goons into causing mayhem, with said goons thinking it was to let the Duke take over the city in the Material Plane.

Could be fun to add a Dead Three cultist as one of the prisoners, and if freed the cultist actually help the PCs beat th Vanthampurs.

If you want to customize the Zariel cultists, there is a section about that (and how to customize other devil cults too) in the Mordenkainen's.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-01-17, 11:54 PM
The Vanthampurs and their cults are worshippers of Zariel, not of the Dead Three. Wouldn't make sense for the Dead Three to want Baldur's Gate in Hell like the Zariel cult wants to do, the Vanthampurs just manipulated the Dead Three goons into causing mayhem, with said goons thinking it was to let the Duke take over the city in the Material Plane.

Could be fun to add a Dead Three cultist as one of the prisoners, and if freed the cultist actually help the PCs beat th Vanthampurs.

If you want to customize the Zariel cultists, there is a section about that (and how to customize other devil cults too) in the Mordenkainen's.

OK, that makes sense. I figured I must have missed something. The characters could definitely begin to work that out as they go through the villa. Thanks.