PDA

View Full Version : Animate Objects and Hexblade's Curse Combo

Kessel
2021-01-18, 03:12 PM
The pairing of Magic Missile with Hexblade's Curse is fan-fricking-tastic. Can the same be done with Animate Objects?
Google had varying viewpoints, but no opinions that were rooted in text (that I found.)
The closest I came was the tweet:

"Hexblade's Curse grants a bonus to any damage roll you make against the cursed target. That's a damage roll of any sort, whether caused by a weapon, a spell, or something else." - Jeremy Crawford on Twitter

This would seem to meet the criteria for AO, but it seems really strong. Thus I wanted to check on here if it's been covered already, or if someone has a definitive answer..?

Much thanks.

LudicSavant
2021-01-18, 03:20 PM
The pairing of Magic Missile with Hexblade's Curse is fan-fricking-tastic. Can the same be done with Animate Objects?
Google had varying viewpoints, but no opinions that were rooted in text (that I found.)
The closest I came was the tweet:

"Hexblade's Curse grants a bonus to any damage roll you make against the cursed target. That's a damage roll of any sort, whether caused by a weapon, a spell, or something else." - Jeremy Crawford on Twitter

This would seem to meet the criteria for AO, but it seems really strong. Thus I wanted to check on here if it's been covered already, or if someone has a definitive answer..?

Much thanks.

Key word is any damage roll you make.

The question is who is making the attack and damage roll: You, or the animated object?

Seems to me the answer is the animated object.

Kessel
2021-01-18, 03:33 PM
Key word is any damage roll you make.

The question is who is making the attack and damage roll: You, or the animated object?

Seems to me the answer is the animated object.

But the objects are attacking because you yourself cast the attacking spell, you set them in motion, no?

PhoenixPhyre
2021-01-18, 03:40 PM
But the objects are attacking because you yourself cast the attacking spell, you set them in motion, no?

No. Because that way lies infinite regress.

If it takes its own turn, it doesn't count. At least that's how I'd rule and how I'd expect anyone sane to rule.

Amnestic
2021-01-18, 03:44 PM
Each target animates and becomes a creature under your control until the spell ends or until reduced to 0 Hit Points.

If you Command an object to Attack, it can make a single melee Attack against a creature within 5 feet of it. It makes a slam Attack with an Attack bonus and bludgeoning damage determine by its size

They're separate creatures, making separate rolls. It doesn't work any more than conjure animals, a pet horse, or ordering a companion would work.

Kessel
2021-01-18, 03:47 PM
fair enough. thank you all for the feedback.

diplomancer
2021-01-18, 04:20 PM
No. Because that way lies infinite regress.

If it takes its own turn, it doesn't count. At least that's how I'd rule and how I'd expect anyone sane to rule.

But DO animated objects have their own turn? The spell's written differently from the Conjure line of spells; there is NO indication whatsoever of them rolling for initiative, for instance.

I think the intent of the spell is for it not to work with Hexblade's Curse, and for the objects to have their own turn. But I don't SEE that in the text of the spell.

Amnestic
2021-01-18, 04:28 PM
But DO animated objects have their own turn? The spell's written differently from the Conjure line of spells; there is NO indication whatsoever of them rolling for initiative, for instance.

I think the intent of the spell is for it not to work with Hexblade's Curse, and for the objects to have their own turn. But I don't SEE that in the text of the spell.

It notes they have their own turns:

You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn

They seem to match your initiative, but they've got their own turns, just like beastmaster pets or mounts.

diplomancer
2021-01-18, 05:33 PM
It notes they have their own turns:

They seem to match your initiative, but they've got their own turns, just like beastmaster pets or mounts.

My point is that there seems to be text missing from the spell; in particular, if they have their own turn, what's their initiative? The Conjure spells explicitly have their own initiative. Controlled mounts and Beastmaster's pets explicitly DON'T, and share your initiative. Animate Dead and Tiny Servants have similar wording to Animate Objects, but their casting time means that you will cast the spell out of combat, unlike Animate Objects, so you don't HAVE a initiative when you cast them.

Quite apart from the Hexblade's curse question; what's the Animated Objects Initiative? Is it the same as your own? Should you roll for it after you animate the objects? And if it's the same as your own, does it mean that they don't get its own turns? The spell is silent on all that.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-01-18, 05:39 PM
My point is that there seems to be text missing from the spell; in particular, if they have their own turn, what's their initiative? The Conjure spells explicitly have their own initiative. Controlled mounts and Beastmaster's pets explicitly DON'T, and share your initiative. Animate Dead and Tiny Servants have similar wording to Animate Objects, but their casting time means that you will cast the spell out of combat, unlike Animate Objects, so you don't HAVE a initiative when you cast them.

Quite apart from the Hexblade's curse question; what's the Animated Objects Initiative? Is it the same as your own? Should you roll for it after you animate the objects? And if it's the same as your own, does it mean that they don't get its own turns? The spell is silent on all that.

Not stated, so the default is followed. Which is that any late combatant added to the order of battle rolls initiative and is inserted as usual.

All creatures in a combat have unique turns, even if they share initiative values. Yes, this includes "grouped" monsters (who share the same value but do not share the same turn). So the common DM trick of "#1 moves, #2 moves, #1 attacks" doesn't actually work.

And it does not state that it's the same as yours. In theory, each of the animated objects could have its own separate initiative roll. I'd never rule it that way, because that's asinine, but it's not disallowed.

But more importantly, they are separate creatures. They are making damage, you are not, even if you brought them there via spell. This is why attacks by animated objects (or other summons) do not pierce resistance to non-magic attacks. Or trigger hexblade's curse (or hex, or any other such thing that only affects your own attacks/damage).

Rara1212
2021-01-19, 08:02 AM
So the common DM trick of "#1 moves, #2 moves, #1 attacks" doesn't actually work.

Just wanna reply to this specific part. Had a DM for a one shot that used the Flanking optional rule. Then he had all his grouped monsters act on the same initiative, move perfectly into position and all attacked with advantage. :( I'm just happy I had dodged before they attacked me, or I would have died turn 1.