PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Drunken Master Monk Multiclass MADness SOS

Bloed
2021-01-18, 06:59 PM
Gonna get started in a new campaign soon, and I think I need some help with figuring out some theorycrafting for my character.

IC, it’s gonna be a bandit redeeming himself for past crimes by doing adventuring stuff (with a magical kill switch implanted in his neck to keep him on the righteous path), which I figured would lead nicely into him eventually finding his peace, somewhat, and becoming a monk.

Now, OOC, I’m looking at a Drunken Master Monk, specifically one going for grapples. Because I think grapple shenanigans are funny
...and because his race gives him advantage on all strength checks. Truth be told, that tidbit was what made me want to make a grapple-centric char to begin with.
But Drunken Master specifically seems fun with its great mobility and maintain the characters IC reputation as no good drunk goon.

So. I was looking at some multiclassing, because he wouldn’t start as monk due to the background. Rogue seems great. Expertise makes grapple even better, sneak attacks once you have someone shoved down, and the scout subclass gets to make movements as reaction when someone ends their turn next to them. Which has a high likely hood, given the grappling focus. Leading to all kinda grapple-and-drag shenanigans.

However. Battlemaster fighter also seems good. Fighter gives action surge, which makes the grapple+shove deal a whole lot faster at low levels, and the campaign is unlikely to go beyond level 14. And maneuvers add versatility. Disarming someone before dragging them off, for example, is both great crowd control AND channeling Jackie Chan.

But, that’s where the madness sets in.
Strength for grapple and carrying capacity to be able to drag people.
Dex for Unarmoured Defense
Wisdom for Monk stuff in general
Con because I’m a naked frontliner

I think I’m looking at
5+ Levels of Drunken Master Monk
3-4 levels of Scout Rogue
2-4 levels of Battlemaster Fighter
All within a total of 14 levels, at best. No endgame stuff.

So. I’m looking for any kinda advice on how to make this work, or if I even should try and make it work, or if there’s something else that would work better. Thank you for your help!

Emongnome777
2021-01-18, 07:41 PM
I missed what race you were playing that granted advantage to strength checks?

I'm not seeing the need for fighter or rogue. A 1st level monk can mix swinging a short sword with sucker punches (unarmed strikes), having no ki and basically not really looking like a "monk" yet.

Take prodigy feat to get expertise. Between that and the advantage, you don't need high strength. You get strength score x30 for a drag weight, so a score of 10 lets you drag someone 300lbs or less.

Guess I think there's more value in continuing monk, but that's my opinion. The other class tricks are neat, but you delay monk tricks. Looks like you won't get your 2nd attack until late 2nd tier. That's rough.

Just my thoughts.

Bloed
2021-01-18, 08:32 PM
It’s a homebrew race from the campaign. Minotaur, but sadly doesn’t get any natural attacks nor large size. Gets Strength and Con bonus, though. Some fun anti-mage stuff.

300lbs seems to be shaving it awfully close if they are having gear on them? And my own gear factors also into that total, doesn’t it?

And hm.
Just doing monk without any other dips and dives didn’t actually occur to me. I liked the idea of going crazy with multiclassing, but you’re right, just staying solo might be an actual alternative. Hrrrm.
Thanks for the input so far!