PDA

View Full Version : Add Flavor to your Spell Levels - What level of caster are you?

BoutsofInsanity
2021-01-18, 10:05 PM
For shorthand we refer to our characters as 3rd level casters, or I can cast third level spells. But rarely in a setting do people refer to themselves as a "Number" Level person.

We have belts for martial arts. Shapes and colors for Skiing and Snowboarding. Metals for League of Legends. Etc.

What about for magic? How does your world refer to magic and it's power? Different countries, kingdoms and regions will have different names for them based on how the view magic. I promise you, it will add some spice to your world and it's a subtle way to enlighten the players to how a region reacts to magic. It's worldbuilding at it's best. Subtle.

I've included two very different versions below.

#1 is from the Kingdom of Empyrean - They love magic and the pursuit of it. They refer to it as the "Odyssey".

Oh me? I'm only a "Focused" right now. I'm just now on the Odyssey at the Will Step. Getting into the Journeyman class is hard. The Purpose step is one of the hardest.

The Odyssey

Hope - Callow
Will - Focused
Purpose - Journeyman
Competence - Capable
Fidelity - Adherent
Love - Paramour
Care - Martyr
Wisdom - Sage
Humility - Transcendent

Whereas the kingdom "Empire of the First Ruler" views magic like 40k views Psykers. So they feel very differently about it. Referred to as "The Harrowing". You must be a sanctioned magician within their borders.

"I am a full Assailant and am close to mastering the Harrowing".

The Harrowing

Limbo - Lost
Lust - Wanton
Gluttony - Glutton
Greed - Covet
Anger - Enraged
Heresy - Heretic
Violence - Assailant
Fraud - Deceiver
Treachery - Apostate

firelistener
2021-01-19, 11:34 AM
Very cool. I like the idea here and might use it in the future. I'd probably be most inclined to just use it as a player instead of DM so it would just flavor my background, but I love the worldbuilding it can add with a mechanical element like levels.

JonBeowulf
2021-01-19, 05:39 PM
This hearkens back to the early editions in which levels came with a title. So, for example, saying in-game, "I'm a Champion" meant you were a 7th level fighter.

It's probably difficult to dream up 20 titles for each class but I think it'd be worth the effort. Even more cool, and much more work, to blend in special titles for key subclass levels.

PhantomSoul
2021-01-19, 05:45 PM
This hearkens back to the early editions in which levels came with a title. So, for example, saying in-game, "I'm a Champion" meant you were a 7th level fighter.

It's probably difficult to dream up 20 titles for each class but I think it'd be worth the effort. Even more cool, and much more work, to blend in special titles for key subclass levels.

Yeh, maybe tier or proficiency bonus ranges -- but having to earn a title as part of levelling still feels like a pleasantly narrative option that I wish came back as a variant option if only to look at (but only fits some campaigns/settings, of course)

Amechra
2021-01-19, 06:43 PM
Spells are divided into four circles.

Spells of the First Circle (1st and 2nd level) are the spells that Apprentices can use. One of the sign that an Apprentice is ready to move on to greater and better things is that they've mastered the trickier First Circle spells. (Read: they know how to cast 2nd level spells - there's no real in-setting distinction between different levels of Apprentices)

Spells of the Second Circle (3rd, 4th, and 5th level) are what most people think of when they think of the serious spells of a professional magus. Once a student has demonstrated that they can cast spells of this circle, they become a Journeyman, who serves as a traveling mage for some years (coincidentally improving the prestige of their school and putting them into contact with potential patrons). After some time, most spellcasters settle down and take on students, giving them the title of Magus. At this point, they are entitled to be referred to as "Master" by non-spellcasters and spellcasters of lower rank. (Read: You're a Journeyman as soon as you can cast 3rd level spells, and you generally become a Magus at roughly level 8-9.)

Spells of the Third Circle (6th, 7th, and 8th level) are in many cases the mightiest spells that mortals are capable of calling upon. Externally, spellcasters capable of casting such spells are all referred to as High Magi (singular High Magus) - within their own ranks, such as they are, a High Magus will tend to refer to themselves as a Magus of the Nth Degree, where the degrees correspond to the three circles of mortal magic. The distinction is usually lost on any non-spellcasters. (Read: 6th level slots make you 1st Degree, 7th level slots make you 2nd Degree, and 8th level spells make you 3rd Degree.)

Spells of the Fourth Circle (9th level) are mighty miracles, beyond the understanding of mere mortals. Someone who mastered such magics would have the right to call themselves a Magus of the 4th Degree, and would command the respect (and fear) of other spellcasters.

While in many cases, the mystical powers of the churches seem to follow a similar progression of complexity and power, the differences are subtle enough that their description is a story for another time...

KorvinStarmast
2021-01-20, 02:42 PM
Spells are divided into four circles.{snip nice post} Circles match up with Tiers of Play. Well done. *golf clap* I like your approach to this.