PDA

View Full Version : Summon fey + weapons

Chaosity
2021-01-19, 04:22 AM
One little detail i noticed about the summon fey spell that (most) other summons don't have is that the fey spirit is using a weapon.

Does that mean that i can give the spirit another weapon? Say a magical shortsword to overcome the resistance problem.

And if that's possible can i give the spirit ranged weapons?

Battlebooze
2021-01-19, 05:47 AM
I think that the Fey's shortsword is magic. After all, it does +X(spell level) damage along with 1d6 force. It is part of the spell effect, so yes.

As for using other weapons, I might allow it, but I would remove the bonus effects that come with the free "magic" shortsword.

Unoriginal
2021-01-19, 05:48 AM
One little detail i noticed about the summon fey spell that (most) other summons don't have is that the fey spirit is using a weapon.

Does that mean that i can give the spirit another weapon? Say a magical shortsword to overcome the resistance problem.

And if that's possible can i give the spirit ranged weapons?

Strictly speaking, being proficient in a specific weapon does not indicates the NPC is proficient with any other weapon.

Battlebooze
2021-01-19, 05:49 AM
Strictly speaking, being proficient in a specific weapon does not indicates the NPC is proficient with any other weapon.

True. But you don't need to be proficient to use a weapon. Just to use it well...

Chaosity
2021-01-19, 06:08 AM
I think that the Fey's shortsword is magic. After all, it does +X(spell level) damage along with 1d6 force. It is part of the spell effect, so yes.

As for using other weapons, I might allow it, but I would remove the bonus effects that come with the free "magic" shortsword.

If I'm not mistaken most of the other summons attacks don't count as magical.
So i could see some people say the fey's weapon not to be magical from the getgo

JackPhoenix
2021-01-19, 06:46 AM

Unless a NPC's stat block specifically say its weapon attack is magical, it's not. The force damage ignores P/B/S resistances/immunities on account of not being P/B/S, but the base damage of the shortsword doesn't.

Battlebooze
2021-01-19, 04:49 PM
Yep, I did a little reading and digging, I think everyone siding against the sword being considered magic is right, sadly.

Unless the spell is changed in errata, the Fey's short sword is nonmagical. This is works the same as the bites and claws of conjured animals and so on. Unless the spell directly says it is magical, it is not. At least the bonus force damage on the short sword gets around some of this issue.

Personally as a third level spell I don't think it would be unbalance for the weapon to do magical damage, but that would be a house rule.

Unless I'm missing something, someone else could cast Magic Weapon on the short sword, or Elemental Weapon. This seems like a waste of spell slots to me though.

You should be able to give the Fae a magic short sword, but your DM would have to decide if the Fae is allowed to inflict the extra force Damage.

The Fae could also use other weapons like bows, but would only get their stat bonus to attack. The Fae only get improved bonus to hit with short swords.
(Technically they aren't proficient with short swords, the spell just gives them an extra bonus.)

Unoriginal
2021-01-19, 05:32 PM
The weapons of Feys summoned by a Shepherd Druid of lvl 6+ count as magical. Not sure if it helps here, though.