PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Post Tasha Strength Based Fighter

Dualswinger
2021-01-19, 07:13 AM
Trying to create the classic bare knuckle boxer with a fine moustache, how would you build them?

Clearly the Unarmed Fighting Style is a must, but what then? Barbarian? Monk? Fighter?

Ideally we're getting Unarmed AC from some source, probably best from Barb because we're already MAD as hell on our 3 physical stats, but a 1 level monk dip is tempting for a bonus action punch.

Zhorn
2021-01-19, 07:36 AM
I'd be tempted to go Fighter for the bulk of it and use the extra feats on Tavern Brawler and Grappler for the bonus action grapples and pins (assuming your DM doesn't roadblock you on using the bonus action grapple as the pin on the second round).

I would preference the Barbarian dib to stick with a pure physical STR/CON/DEX focus, and the rage resistance is great.
But Monk still holds that appeal on giving a reliable bonus action attack. Stat wise you'll be spread just as thin either way with monk's DEX/CON/WIS.

Dualswinger
2021-01-19, 07:54 AM
I agree. Straight through Fighter until level 5. Actually tempted by Champion for once, though as always Battlemaster remains the most optimal. After that I'd consider just a 1 drop dip into Monk, and another into Barb, then continue with Fighter to the end. I don't want to go too far into either other class since I want this class to feel "Mundane" as possible.

Zhorn
2021-01-19, 08:00 AM
do you mean 1 level into monk OR 2 levels into barbarian? or 1 level into monk AND 2 levels into barbarian?
If the latter, why so? You'd only get half a level's worth of features since you'll only get one of the Unarmored Defenses.

nickl_2000
2021-01-19, 08:00 AM
The problem you have to focus on Strength, Dex, and Con to get a decent amount of AC while running around in clothing instead of armor. So, you need to look at ways to get around that.

1) Monk - Not a good choice since now you also need Wisdom
2) Barbarian - Dex + Con for AC, not great but better. I see the main gain on Barbarian coming from rage damage reduction. Sure, you get hit but you have the ability to slough it off and keep going. This very much fits into the concept you are going for from this character.
3) Races - Loxodon gives you 12+Con AC calculation, Tortle gives you 17 AC from the shell, Lizardfolk give 13+Dex. Of these I would personally suggest a Tortle since that would leave you a higher AC to begin with and you don't need to worry about stats as much.
4) Spells - Mage Armor or Barkskin. Barkskin sucks, so that really isn't a choice. Mage armor can be gained through an ally casting it, Magic Initiate, or a Dip into Sorcerer/Wizard. Still this isn't ideal since you would want your Con as high as possible and not worry about your Dex as much.
5) A few other damage reduction options, but they aren't all that great or take to much of an investment.

Were it me making this build I would go VHuman Barbarian level 1 with the Tavern Brawler Feat. This gives me a 1d4 attack with my fists and a bonus action grapple, Barbarian AC calculation, and rage protection/damage. Then from there on out you go fighter 19. Level 1 fighter you grab the unarmed fighter style that gives you more damage on punch and lets you do damage by keeping your grapples active. Since you are raging you get advantage on grapple checks and reduce the damage coming in.

With point buy, you put 15 into Strength, Con, and Dex. Give the +1 to Str and Dex, and the Tavern Brawler bonus goes into Con. You have a 16 AC naked at level 1, which isn't horrible with the damage reduction. Since you are going fighter you get plenty of ASIs to boost your Str, Dex, and Con to 20 each. If you like the grapple aspect, you can also consider an expertise feat for Athletics

Contrast
2021-01-19, 08:14 AM
Rune Knight and let your DM know you'd like to acquire a Barrier Tattoo at some point would be my go to.

Sol0botmate
2021-01-19, 08:49 AM
I have few questions before I start to think of some build:

1. Does it have to be Fighter or Barbarian would do?
2. Does it have to be human or other races (races have huge impact on builds now after Tasha) are fine too?