PDA

View Full Version : Death doesn't have to be a jerk... [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-07, 02:55 AM
Holy Deathless one

"MY ONLY WISH FOR THE WORLD IS A HAPPY LIFE!
MY ONLY WISH FOR MY FRIENDS IS PASSING WITHOUT STRIFE!
MY ONLY WISH FOR MYSELF IS TO BATHE IN MY FATHER'S LIGHT!" -Bruin the Joyful Mourner

The White Reaper, the Deathless master, Lord of the Gentle Passing. Aeomon has many titles, but fewer followers than other gods of his power, but what his followers lack in numbers, they make up for it in zeal and will. Holy deathless ones are paragonal knights of his cause. They learn to continue their knowledge and channeling of divine magic as well as their martial prowess. Holy deathless ones also become infused with the power of the White Reaper slowly to become eternal saviors of gentle and comfortable death, as well as destroyers of negatively charged abominations.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Art_DivinePower/89.jpg
Letra the white crusader, priest and crusader of Aeomon

HD: d12

Requirements
Alignment: Any good
Feats: Devoted Bulwark, Weapon Focus (greatmace)
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks
Maneuvers: Must be able to use a martial maneuver or stance from the Devoted Spirit discipline.
Divine Spellcasting: Must be able to 2nd cast spells from either the Death, Deathless, Healing or Good domains.
Deity: Aeomon.

Class Skills: Balance, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Martial Lore, Ride and Spellcraft.
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Turn undead, code of conduct, +2 Wis|--
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Holy touch, natural armor|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Deathless body DR 5|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Touch of geas/quest 1/day|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Holy reaper stance, +2 Int|--
6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|Touch of geas/quest 2/day|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Deathless body DR 10|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Touch of geas/quest 3/day|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|Stance of Aeomon's grace|--
10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Good lich|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|1|0
2nd|0|0|0
3rd|1|0|0
4th|0|1|0
5th|1|0|1
6th|0|0|0
7th|1|1|0
8th|0|0|0
9th|1|0|0
10th|0|1|0
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiency: Holy deathless ones are proficient with all simple and martial melee weapons (including those usable as thrown weapons) and all types of armors and shields(except tower shields).

Turn undead: Holy deathless one levels stack with cleric levels for determining the strength of your turn undead.

Code of Conduct: Holy deathless ones must adhere to the code of their deity. No innocents must be harmed unless they agress against your first. All living creatures in the throes of death must be comforted in their passing, be they friend or enemy. Undead creatures will not be abided, if intelligent, you must offer them a raise dead spell or greater magic and if they refuse they must be destroyed. And finally, you must retain a good alignment. If any of these rules are broken all holy deathless one class features are revoked until you receive an atonement spell from a cleric or paladin of Aeomon.
Additionally, once you take a level in this class you cannot take levels in any other class until you've attained all 10 levels in holy deathless one.

Stat Increases: At first level, as a true sign of devotion to your deity and path of his cause, you gain a +2 bonus to your Wisdom score. At 5th level, along with learning the holy reaper stance(see below) you gain an insight into the scope of life and death which confers a +2 bonus to your Intelligence score. Finally, at 10th level as you attain good-lichdom you grow an inner light with your rite of release. Aeomon's light shines within you and reflect outward, granting you a +2 bonus to your charisma.
These stat bonuses are the bonuses granted by the good lich template(see below), so when attaining 10th level the bonuses granted by the template overlap with these.

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, 5th and 9th you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained except turn undead(see above). If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a holy deathless one, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known(if applicable).

Maneuvers: At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, a holy deathless one gains new maneuvers known from the Devoted Spirit, Setting Sun or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Holy deathless one levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 5th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Devoted Spirit, Setting Sun or White Raven Disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Holy touch (Su): At 2nd level, you receive a special touch attack that damages undead creatures and evil outsiders. This attack deals 1d8+5 holy damage and is usable once a round. If you have a natural weapon, you may channel your holy touch through it.

Natural Armor (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, your skin is toughened by a slow transition that turns you into a creature like your deity. You have a natural armor bonus equal to half your class level(rounded down). This natural armor stacks with other natural armor bonuses.

Deathless body (Ex): The toughening of your body is enhanced to a higher level. At 3rd level you gain damage reduction 5/magic and bludgeoning. At 7th level it grows to DR 10/magic and bludgeoning. At 10th level is grows to 15/magic and bludgeoning when good lich is attained.

Touch of Geas/Quest (Su): At 4th level you gain the ability to use a special attack a certain amount of times a day. Once per day, you may make a touch attack against an opponent, if your attack hits the opponent must make a will save (DC 10+half your HD and class levels+your Cha modifier). If they fail the save they are affected by a Geas/Quest spell. Any effect that would remove a normal geas/quest spell removes this. A holy deathless one may choose not to effect someone with this ability if they do not want to.
At 6th level you can use this twice per day, at 8th level 3 times per day and you may use it at will at 10th level, when good lich is attained.

Holy Reaper Stance (Su): At 5th level you gain a small glimpse of martial insight and a dose of holy power from your god. You may enter this stance as a swift action. Whenever you are in the Holy reaper stance, your greatmace counts as a disruption weapon but instead of a set DC Will save for undead to make, the DC is 10+half your holy deathless one level+Cha. You also receive a +4 divine bonus to armor class against attacks delivered by undead creatures. This stance functions identically to that of a normal stance in all regards and for all intents and purposes it counts as being from the Devoted Spirit discipline.

Stance of Aeomon's Grace (Su): Aeomon himself smiles upon you and infuses you with even more of his divine power. At 9th level you can take a swift action to enter the stance of Aeomon's grace. While in this stance you gain the ability to suppress the taint of evil in the area around you. Whenever you're in this stance you gain the effects of a consecrate spell centered on you, and you count as an alter of Aeomon for the purposes of the bonus granted in such a circumstance. Likewise, all mindless undead with as many HD as your holy deathless one levels within this area are granted a raise dead effect, but you must perform a ritual costing 25gp in special materials for every HD you bring back to life. If you cannot you instead take 1 Cha drain for each HD you cannot pay for.
If the raised to-be has an evil alignment, you immediately become aware of it and may choose whether or not to let them becomes raised.
This stance functions identically to that of a normal stance in all regards and for all intents and purposes it counts as being from the Devoted Spirit discipline.

Good Lich: At 10th level you become a paragon of Aeomon's immortal virtue, and in purging yourself of the passage to your god you are an even greater warrior in the service of him. You gain the good lich (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47119) template, and all the benefits of the template overlap all similar or identical features gained by this class(including the stat increases), but retain all those not also granted by the template.
Holy deathless ones usually pick their holy symbols or a nonmagical greatmace as their phylacteries, but the choices aren't limited to those. This class features does not impose a CR or ECL adjustment nor does it cost the holy deathless one any xp or gp.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-07, 03:00 AM
I really dislike capstones that make other features pointless. My suggestion is allow the +5 Nat armor bonus to stack with any other natural armor.

Also, I suggest dropping the DR(as it will be subsumed in the lich transformation) and instead make it into a stance that can be assumed. When the stance is assumed, they gain DR 5/bludgeoning and magic. Then +5 at each level the normal DR grows. This way, the permanent gain of DR 15/bludgeoning and magic actually means something.

DracoDei
2007-11-07, 04:17 AM
Hmmm... as long as it isn't a step backward in any regard I don't see a reason why a capstone shouldn't improve previous abilities (rather than being entirely new abilities or providing huge jumps in bonuses just in the name of stacking rather than overlapping). In fact that sort of thing can be a GOOD thing for setting a unified theme for the class I think.

I think I agree about the Natural Armor thing though...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-07, 04:30 AM
I'm going to have to agree with dracodei with this one. The purpose of the class was to slowly turn them into a good lich, and I only did a slow advance of the more prominent abilities. At 10th level you gain immunity to cold, electricity, all those deathless immunities, +8 bonuses to several different skills and a +2 to each mental ability score.
It's no measly little capstone.

But the natural armor thing could do with stacking, I'll change it in the good lich template, too.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-07, 10:59 PM
No, I meant, the DR that it gains at various levels ultimately becomes useless through it's capstone. I don't like that. It makes those levels mean nothing more than +spell boost. You actually gain more from a Cleric level than this when it comes to those two levels.

The stance idea lets it function without being entirely useless.

purepolarpanzer
2007-11-08, 07:52 AM
I like it. ALOT. 'Specially considering the quote at the top is from my character, inspired by Krimm's great world. Totally shooting for that class. Two levels of crusader, here I come :smallbiggrin:

Also, for the strict followers of Aeomon, becoming a good lich would be a major sacrifice for the cause. This would keep you from dieing, therefore keeping you from meeting the Father. This sacrifice would be for others benifit, keeping you alive for centuries to help others in Aeomon's name. The only way out of this would be for your phylactery to be destroyed, which would be as much a release as a death.

Also, maybe you could spread the stat bonuses throughout the class, showing a progression to Lich. I think that in the Code of Conduct there could be a Rite of Sacrifice, where you acknowledge that you are giving up your life (and your death) for your god and his children. This Rite could give the good lich's +2 wisdom early, as a sign of your devotion to your god.

Around mid-level you could give the +2 Int, possible with the Reaper stance, in the Rite of Passing. When you gain insight into the secrets of the deathless power, you also gain insight into everything in this world and the next, as death is a river that flows through all existence. In this Rite, the soul begins to detach from the body, leaving the worshipper pale and drawn.

At tenth level, when the true deathless power surges into your being, you could give the +2 Cha in the Rite of Release. When the golden power of Aeomon flows into you, his light shines both outward and inward, making something as unappealing as a preserved corpse beautiful and filling you with joy as you know you have given him everything you are.

I only say this because Wizards annoys me with the "grand prize" Prc method, where you have to hit 10th level for that all-too-cool-ultimate power. Keep it, huck it, put it on the Good Lich template, or do nothing with it. Totally up to you. I like the whole concept either way:smallbiggrin: .

Istari
2007-11-08, 03:53 PM
No, I meant, the DR that it gains at various levels ultimately becomes useless through it's capstone. I don't like that. It makes those levels mean nothing more than +spell boost. You actually gain more from a Cleric level than this when it comes to those two levels.

The stance idea lets it function without being entirely useless.

Not really what your saying is that having rage 1/day for 1st level barbarians is useless you might as well just take them away because they get 6/days rages at level 20(i think)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-08, 08:08 PM
I like your idea, purepolarpanzer. The changes have been made.:smallbiggrin: