PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (a.k.a. Hamster Ball)

meandean
2021-01-19, 01:20 PM
Or perhaps the Atlasphere from American Gladiators, but I digress.

I saw an old post elsewhere speculating that one could cast Warding Bond on an ally, and then cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on oneself. This would -- allegedly -- continue to provide damage resistance to the Warding Bond target, and yet prevent the caster from taking any damage as would normally occur, since the sphere blocks all spell effects.

I couldn't find anything to definitively prove or disprove this... there doesn't seem to be a lot of hamster ball literature, sadly. In general, how does the hamster ball interact with pre-cast¹ spells?

¹ Presumably non-concentration spells, since the hamster ball itself requires concentration. Although, what if your hamster familiar wearing a Ring of Spell Storing put you in the hamster ball... hmmmmm....

Silpharon
2021-01-19, 01:27 PM
I would think you would still take damage. It seems the material rings are the key to the bond. The ring will be inside the sphere with you, so the damage will occur to you from within the sphere...

Kurt Kurageous
2021-01-19, 05:03 PM
I would think you would still take damage. It seems the material rings are the key to the bond. The ring will be inside the sphere with you, so the damage will occur to you from within the sphere...

Either that or the warding bond spell ends...no way around the deal.