PDA

View Full Version : Stasis: A 5e Conversion (PEACH)

Dravda
2021-01-19, 02:22 PM
Hello, everyone! I've been working on a set of homebrewed spells based on the Stasis element from Destiny 2. I'm still early in the design process, and I would love your comments, critiques, suggestions, and feedback. Thank you ahead of time!

Introduction
I've been playing Destiny for a while, and a recent addition to the game has really seized my imagination: Stasis, AKA Destiny's take on ice magic. For those unaware, the core of Stasis gameplay revolves around three principles: slowing a target, progressing to freezing the target solid, progressing to shattering them into damaging shards. While we've all seen ice magic slow and freeze before, the idea of it culminating in a shattering explosion ties the loop together in a way that really appeals to me. The stacking effects that can be chained together however you like: ANY two slow effects progress to freezing, and ANYONE can shatter a frozen target for area damage.

Initially, I pinned these effects to the slow spell and hold person/monster spells, but those proved a bit too powerful to work with. For the current draft, I have pared down the initial effect, 'rime', making it a baseline debuff upon which other effects can stack and chain. Freezing only happens upon being reduced to 0 hp, which provides a nice bonus that the caster can always work toward without being an instant fight-winner.

Intent
The intent of these spells is to introduce a group of spells a caster could learn all together, perhaps currently being practiced by a secretive sect in the campaign world. These spells should be cold-themed, and work off a common system that lets them stack and chain off each other, incentivizing the caster to string together combos. These spells should provide opportunities to synergize both with allied casters and non-casters alike. Because these spells can chain, they should feel somewhat underwhelming on the front end, but progress to full power if they are used together.

EDIT: I've moved the spells, magic items, and new sorcerer subclass to a Google doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H-8dasG5Qh8PE0q3DnRv0XrL_RiRzD-YWgxKlmzV00s/edit?usp=sharing).