PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Damage with a Single Classed Arcane Archer

nickl_2000
2021-01-20, 10:44 AM
Mentally building a possible Arcane Archer Fighter character for an Eberron campaign. I am looking to do as a single classed character and I'm looking for ways to stack up the damage in almost silly ways. I know that some people don't like Arcane Archer, but I really like the flavour and want to play it so class is locked down.

So far, I have
-Mark of Finding Racial for Hunter's Mark once per day
-Sharpshooter
-Bracers of Archery
-Fey Touched for Misty Step, Hex, and +1 Int
-Magical Bow/Oathbow
-Magical Arrows

Any other way you can think of to stack on the damage with the large number of attacks that a fighter can get?

Mastikator
2021-01-20, 11:22 AM
The Piercer feat lets you reroll a piercing damage dice once per turn and adds one damage dice on crit. With lots of attacks (like fighters can do) you get a big benefit. It's also a dex half feat so if you need to round up dex you should definitely take it.

Besides that you pretty much nailed it.

nickl_2000
2021-01-20, 11:24 AM
The Piercer feat lets you reroll a piercing damage dice once per turn and adds one damage dice on crit. With lots of attacks (like fighters can do) you get a big benefit. It's also a dex half feat so if you need to round up dex you should definitely take it.

Besides that you pretty much nailed it.

Good call on Piercer, that would be a substantial difference in damage with as many attacks as can be made in a single round.

Unoriginal
2021-01-20, 11:27 AM
Mentally building a possible Arcane Archer Fighter character for an Eberron campaign. I am looking to do as a single classed character and I'm looking for ways to stack up the damage in almost silly ways. I know that some people don't like Arcane Archer, but I really like the flavour and want to play it so class is locked down.

So far, I have
-Mark of Finding Racial for Hunter's Mark once per day
-Sharpshooter
-Bracers of Archery
-Fey Touched for Misty Step, Hex, and +1 Int
-Magical Bow/Oathbow
-Magical Arrows

Any other way you can think of to stack on the damage with the large number of attacks that a fighter can get?

If your PC is a Zariel bloodline Tiefling, they can cast Branding Smite at 3rd level once a day, which adds 3d6 radiant damage to the next attack that hits. You also get Searing Smite in case an enemy get too close.

Granted it doesn't stack with the Mark of Finding, but it's still pretty nice.

You can also take the Fighting Initiate feat to get the Fighting Style that let you take some damage-boosting Battlemaster's manoeuvres.

Mastikator
2021-01-20, 11:31 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that shadow arrow, grasping arrow should be your first picks IMO.
You'll have advantage vs blinded targets so your DPS vs that target increases since you get to offset that sharpshooter penalty. Potion of heroism is also a good potion since you get the effect of bless, to hit more reliably.
Grasping arrow is great because it not only hits with poison immediately, but also slashing if the target moves. It has to give up its action to rid itself of the bramble.

Seekergeek
2021-01-20, 11:36 AM
Fey touched gives you access to bless, which can also go a long way toward offsetting sharpshooter for an entire encounter not to mention something to do with your concentration AND a bit more of that magic feel along with a nice misty step when you need it. I'd personally probably choose bless over Hex, though I can see the argument to the contrary.

Edited because I failed to explain why I was bringing up a feat you'd already mentioned.

nickl_2000
2021-01-20, 11:44 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that shadow arrow, grasping arrow should be your first picks IMO.
You'll have advantage vs blinded targets so your DPS vs that target increases since you get to offset that sharpshooter penalty. Potion of heroism is also a good potion since you get the effect of bless, to hit more reliably.
Grasping arrow is great because it not only hits with poison immediately, but also slashing if the target moves. It has to give up its action to rid itself of the bramble.

Interesting, I was looking at Bursting and Banishing Arrows as the first two to take.

Bursting because you get some AoE, which is rare on a martial and there is no save. Plus the extra damage makes the most impact at lower levels.

Banishing because it targets a charisma save (which few monster are skilled at) and is more likely to proc when your Int isn't as high.

Silpharon
2021-01-20, 02:35 PM
Interesting, I was looking at Bursting and Banishing Arrows as the first two to take.

Bursting because you get some AoE, which is rare on a martial and there is no save. Plus the extra damage makes the most impact at lower levels.

Banishing because it targets a charisma save (which few monster are skilled at) and is more likely to proc when your Int isn't as high.

I like banishing arrow, but I would drop bursting. It does avg 7 damage to all creatures in a 10 foot radius. If you were swarmed by tiny creatures that might be good, but I think it more likely someone else in your party can handle that much better.

I agree that grasping and shadow are excellent.

Piercing can give you a little over double damage across two targets (you can usually line up two targets), or half that if they succeed the save (which guaranteed damage could be good in certain circumstances).

Seeking can have it's uses...

At max you get 5 options, I would take banishing, shadow, grasping, piercing, and seeking.

J-H
2021-01-20, 03:19 PM
Elf or Half Elf for Elven Accuracy gets you an extra d20 on attack rolls with advantage. More hits, more crits.