PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another New Artist For Critique

SoD
2007-11-07, 06:48 AM
I know you guys must get sick of giving tips for new up-and-coming-but-not-quite-there-yet OOTS artists...but here's me!

Here's the party: Shyle Morgan (CG Half-Orc Cleric of Kord), Kaito 'Kid' Koruba (CG Halfling Rogue), Aethan Hamilton (LG Human Paladin), Nove Cha'dra (CN Human Sorcerer), Riccul (Hawk Familiar), Mialee Meliamme (CG Elven Bard).

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/SoDing-Mop/BlueMoonWarriors.png

Derivious
2007-11-07, 06:58 AM
Are you asking for tips to make it more Ootsey?

If so, open this

Oots eyes are different size, normally one's wider and slightly shorter.

If not, pretend I'm not here. :smallbiggrin:

Artemician
2007-11-07, 07:04 AM
Now.. I'm no veteran artist, but when I look at your picture, there's just one thing that just nags at me.

Basically, the proportions.

Realistically, person's legs are generally three head lengths tall, and his torso two, for a total of six head lengths. However, it looks like you're drawing OotS style, so let's go with that.

In OotS, a torso is one head length, and the legs are another head lenght, for a total of three head lenghts. Midgets are two head lengths tall. You have the total about right, but for everyone except the halfling, their torsos are simply too long.

Also: OotS eyes are generally oval/circle shaped, and are generally a bit more circular than what you have there. I wouldn't worry about making sure that one eye is bigger or smaller, that's just used in OotS to show that someone if facing to the side. If the character is staring right into the camera then there is no problem.

Derivious
2007-11-07, 07:12 AM
*snip*

Also: OotS eyes are generally oval/circle shaped, and are generally a bit more circular than what you have there. I wouldn't worry about making sure that one eye is bigger or smaller, that's just used in OotS to show that someone if facing to the side. If the character is staring right into the camera then there is no problem.

See Durkon on the introductions (hit the ? on the pages for comics) he's looking right at the viewer and his eyes are still different sizes.

banjo1985
2007-11-07, 07:30 AM
For me the faces look okay, and easily the best one of the lot is the little guy in the top hat, he's proportioned right and looks good overall.

The bodies on the other ones are way too long, and the girl on the right hand side looks wrong and off centre. But, apart from the proportion issue, you've got the basics down pretty good! I would suggest checking out the showcase thread to see how the proportions work etc, and keep practicing. These aren't bad for a start :smallsmile:

SoD
2007-11-07, 08:02 AM
I'll accept any tips, weather general, or to make them more OOTSy.

Yeah, the girl at the end was easily the hardest, because OOTS girls bodies aren't ogblongs...I personally aren't happy with her...

banjo1985
2007-11-07, 08:46 AM
Yes, males are far easier to draw at the start, because they're bodies can be a flat simple shape, while a females has to be more curvy and proportioned. Your female character is facing the screen, but the body looks like it's sideways. While everyone has there own style, this is the pretty much the standard way I draw female bodies straight on:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z175/banjo_the_clown/succubus3.png

Using curves is the only real way to get them to look right.

But as I said before, they already look quite OotS'y, shorten the bodies and they'll look alright! And if you don't already use one of them, Illustrator, Inkscape and Sodipodi are probably the best programs around for these things.

Serpentine
2007-11-07, 09:25 AM
Let me see now...

Bodies are too long. Even the halfling is a touch, but that's pretty damn close.
Eyes I think should be slightly larger, more irregular and slightly rounder in shape, closer together and slightly closer to the centre of the face.
The girl's body needs a lot of refinement. That one just needs lots of practice and comparing with the Giant's work.
Legs need to be longer, but that's part of making the bodies shorter.
The upper corners of the body should be hidden behind the head.
I believe feet are generally less rectangular.
Hair is done as a separate entity sort of thing, rather than just lines on the circle, if you know what I mean.

I think that's about it. Great job for a first go, and that halfling's excellent for an experienced avatarist.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-08, 04:51 AM
Hey, keep it up.
Use the advice the others told you.
Btw, you may want to put the half orcs symbol around his neck as a necklace....

more advice when art is updated...

SoD
2007-11-09, 07:16 AM
Here is the latest version. I've tried to put in people's suggestions, and have kept the old one as well.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/SoDing-Mop/BMWIII.png

As one person mentioned different programs, I'm using Macromedia Flash Professional 8.

that halfling's excellent for an experienced avatarist.

Made me feel all warm inside...:redface:

Lyinginbedmon
2007-11-09, 07:20 AM
The feet should be longer, it looks like they all have tiny, tiny feet.

Serpentine
2007-11-09, 07:33 AM
Well shucks :smallbiggrin:

Hmmm... The eyes still need better positioning, but the orc's is very close. The wizard's arms should be coming from the shoulders, not the ribs. The girl's body is much better now, though still needs some refinement. The bodies are still too big. The halfling remains great (though looking at it again, I think his mouth and eyes should be more central).

Tiffanie Lirle
2007-11-12, 03:11 PM
The girl all the way on the right, her pigtails should be closer to her body. Looks like there flying at the moment. That and her ears look like horns to me.. I dunno. :smallconfused:

And Huzzah, i'm not the only one who uses flash.

The_Chilli_God
2007-11-12, 03:21 PM
As one person mentioned different programs, I'm using Macromedia Flash Professional 8.

Made me feel all warm inside...:redface: *Envy* That is all.