PDA

View Full Version : Beast master archer advice

Seekergeek
2021-01-20, 11:12 PM
Hey all. Rime of the Frostmaiden is finally upon me! We just hit level 2 after our first session and so certain things are locked in for me but I’m wondering how I can best realize this concept given the character considerations have already come first. I’m playing a Firbolg ranger using Tasha’s rules to move stats around a bit. I’ve ended up with better than decent stats of 14,16,15,14,16,10. I’ll be taking beast master at 3 and using the beast of the land alternative class feature. My DM is enforcing two minor differences than the PHB/Tasha’s alternate ranger: 1) I can choose the favoured enemy from the revised ranger and 2) my beast will benefit from the bonus damage from favoured enemy or favoured foe. Seems to me revised favoured enemy is the better get, there. Beyond that, nothing is set in stone. I’m not sure how long rime runs but this should be a functional idea from go. The party is far from optimized so I don’t need anything crazy streamlined to be a contributor to the table. My thought is to nab an ASI to dex at 4 and use a longbow (currently using a heavy crossbow for now), using my bonus action for the beast’s attacks. Concentration would go to hunters mark for the most part but eventually maybe to summon beast for a second pet on the battlemat. Sharpshooter at 8 seems like a given. I’m bummed spells like ensaring strike are going to fall by the wayside due to bonus action clutter but I don’t know that there is much to do about that.

Zaile
2021-01-21, 06:14 PM
I want to do a beastmaster with the primal companion soon too. Definitely stick with ranger until 7th, as the companion gets magic attacks. I'd take mostly ranger since ranger levels matter so much with the companion.

As for favored foe, a quick search yielded these. I'd try not to be too meta as you run the risk of your DM thinking you read through the whole adventure.
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/158272/what-is-the-best-favored-enemy-type-for-a-revised-ranger-in-the-dungeon-of-the-m
https://www.enworld.org/threads/which-favored-enemy-and-languages-for-rime-of-frostmaiden.677402/

If you're going to dip, rogue 2/3 is always good with Cunning action and Expertise on stealth.

I would also suggest looking at twilight cleric if you want more utility and that sweet, sweet 300' (shareable) darkvision OR Peace for that sick mass-bless, very useful for you and your companion.