PDA

View Full Version : An intriuging build.

TheSnowHatHero
2021-01-21, 09:46 AM
Disclaimer: Professional driver Flying Race on a closed course using a cheese. Do not attempt without explicit DM permission.

Hey everyone! First post here, hope you like it.

The Build

Class Levels
Ranger 1 ->
Rogue 2 ->
Ranger(Gloomstaker) to 3 ->
Rogue to 3(Scout) ->
Ranger
Note: Get expertise in athletics, stay away from spells that involve saves or attack rolls. ASIs should include mobile.
Let me know if there is a better rogue subclass for this.

Race
An Aarakocra.

Ability Scores
Using standard array:

Strength: 14 = 14 (+2)
Dexterity: 15 +1 = 16 (+3)
Constitution: 13 +1 = 14 (+2)
Intelligence: 10 = 10 (+0)
Wisdom: 13 =13 (+1)
Charisma 8 = 8 (-1)

Strategy

Strategy 1: Grab em' and Fly awaaaayyyy
1. Fly up to an enemy(preferably an archer or caster that is not the only enemy). Use Cunning Action for Dash.
2. Attack action:
- Grapple-attacks until you succeed. With expertise in athletics, this shouldn't be all that hard.
- After that, attack anybody that would get an AoO on you.
3: Use the rest of your considerable movement speed upwards. Use your grapplee as cover and a shield(only if your DM rules that you can attack with talons against your graplee without a free hand).
4: Attack the grapplee on the way up, using your talons, with advantage and therefore sneak attack(correct me if I am wrong that you get advantage against grappled targets). Also, after each of their turns, use Skirmisher to move 1/2 of 1/2 your movement speed.
5: When you have reached twice your fly speed in the air, after attacking them, drop them. On one of their allies, if they are significantly damage.
6: Dash back down and grab another!

Strategy 2: Invisible archer in the sky!

0: Be nocturnal. This should go for any party that has 100% darkvision, especially those with gloomstalkers.

1: Fly around above any source of light.
2: Use a longbow to attack enemies that can't see you because you are invisible to darkvision.

That's it for the build! A few things, though:
- I am aware of how these strategies can be countered. I never said it was an optimized build, just a fun one(for the player at least).
- Don't play a flying race without explicit DM permission. You probably should not play this particular build without the DM specifically okay'ing the cheese.
- Thanks for reading! Tell me if there is anything I need to change in regards to posting style, I'm new here.