PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (OOC)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-13, 03:38 PM
Cool. I'm still here, btw. Just been waiting for stuff to happen.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-13, 03:39 PM
I hope you weren't waiting on me, 'cause Orthus had no reason to do anything other than wait..

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-13, 04:04 PM
Waiting on Thistle Dew, and to a certain extent Entertainer13, I think...

Another_Poet
2008-02-13, 04:10 PM
O, don't give us that Shhalahr. We know it took you a while because you were statting out your Dracolich Cleric20/Druid20 BBEG with side-mounted grenade launchers.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-13, 04:23 PM
O, don't give us that Shhalahr. We know it took you a while because you were statting out your Dracolich Cleric20/Druid20 BBEG with side-mounted grenade launchers.
I wish I was being that productive!

I've been in Passive Mode for a while now. Driving me crazy.

Especially since it's hindering other things that have more profound impacts than heavily armed druids...

That's really also part of the reason I've not been keeping up as well as I want.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-26, 10:38 AM
The only reason Orthus was asking about a dog was because he's a firm believer of "dwarves do not ride horses". :smalltongue:

Tarinth
2008-02-26, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I agree. The very image makes me giggle like a baby hyena.

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 02:33 PM
Although I daresay dwarves on giant dogs seem pretty funny too. Really, if a dwarf is going to ride around on anything it should be some kind of giant stone golemn. Hey, maybe Orthus will find one on the adventure!

'Course, chances of it being friendly seem pretty slim.

ap

Tarinth
2008-02-26, 02:44 PM
I think dwarves should ride giant lizards. Now that would be more intimidating and look better than a horse or a dog.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-26, 02:58 PM
I think dwarves should ride giant lizards. Now that would be more intimidating and look better than a horse or a dog.
Did you come up with that before or after you started playing Dragon Dice? :smallwink:

Another_Poet
2008-02-26, 02:59 PM
My real-life campaign right now involves a cave full of half-dwarf/half-orcs (I call 'em Orpheans. They do not like being called Dworcs.) Their baddest military unit are their lizard cavalry. Picture geckos big enough to have an archer parapet on their back and a rider with dual curved swords in front. Plus, they can fire a death beam from their eyes every 1d4 rounds.

My PCs were so in love with these things, and were sad to see very few of them make it back to the fortress they were holding against a horde of undead. Then after a little bit I had one of the Orpheans on the wall yell out, "I can see lights out there! More lizards are coming back!"

PCs:
"Hurray!"
1... 2... 3...
"Wait... DO NOT OPEN THE GATES! DO NOT OPEN THE GATES!"

Yeah, they was zombies.

Another_Poet
2008-02-27, 10:50 AM
So, as Tell's efforts to be wry and tricksterish have repeatedly met with complete failure, he is starting to come off as not right in the head.

Does that bother me? No, actually, I realised yesterday that I kind of like it.

"Frylock, I'm friends with an apple, a toilet paper tube, and a box. I'm crazy in the head."

ap

Tarinth
2008-02-27, 10:59 AM
Ok, you had me right up til the death beams. Sweet mother of...what level are your PC's?

Also, you've got to be a little strange in the head to play D&D. I mean, who else would get all of Megiddo's B5 references or your Hunger Force stuff. Normal people don't watch that stuff(or own the complete B5 series, the Crusade spin off, and all the movies :smallbiggrin: ). Sure, WOW and other onliners are mainstreamed, but that doesn't take the very active imagination that D&D needs.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-27, 11:53 AM
So, as Tell's efforts to be wry and tricksterish have repeatedly met with complete failure, he is starting to come off as not right in the head.
Your problem is you're in Cuthbert territory, and that has apparently also affected the other nature worshippers. :smallwink:

At least the trapper made an attempt to laugh and gave you some advice.

Another_Poet
2008-02-27, 01:33 PM
Tarinth: my PC's are 8th level currently and were 5th level when they first encountered the kato (that's the giant lizard). There are very few kato's and they're hard to handle so the PC's don't get to ride them personally (and the death ray does offer a fort save. If you make it, you merely take massive damage). For something that was originally meant as pure backdrop I was amazed how much the players fell in love with the things. They all know they won't be given a lizard (and couldn't control it if they did), but they just can't get enough of them.

We were running this giant pitched battle and at the beginning of each round I would describe something happening elsewhere on the field. "The bridge that the diversionary force crossed has been blown up," "The kato lizards jump over behind enemy lines and disappear in the darkness", etc. Turned out to be a mistake because every round one of the players would ask what the lizards were doing. No matter what was happening right in front fo the actual PC's the players wanted to know if the lizards were still alive and how they were doing and if they were using their eye beams and .... :eek:

Oh, and in respone to what your character said in the IC thread: BURN! If you and I work together we can make sure none of the NPCs like us. Orthus is doing a fine job too. He might even be able to get that paladin to fall if he keeps it up.

Shhalahr: Don't worry, I'm loving every minute of it. I dunno if Tell is, but I am.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-27, 08:17 PM
Can't say Hommlet strikes me as the kind of place to find dire mastiffs... Sorry. :smallfrown:

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-28, 08:13 AM
Dire Badger? Dire Mole? Any large non-equine creature?

Tarinth
2008-02-28, 02:04 PM
Oh, and in respone to what your character said in the IC thread: BURN! If you and I work together we can make sure none of the NPCs like us. Orthus is doing a fine job too. He might even be able to get that paladin to fall if he keeps it up.

Yes, we're a roudy bickering bunch, that's for sure. But we are all held together by common goals like sacred duty or big fat loot, so as long as there's glittering goodies, Chatrilon will stay. My home game PC's are sooo lovey dovey with NPC's they always have a safe place to hide. That's why I need to betray them every now and then to keep them on their toes.:smallamused:

Another_Poet
2008-02-28, 03:38 PM
I haven't decided yet whether Tell needs to threaten this guy before moving on, or go and destroy all of his traps, or both. I mean hunting is one thing, leaving out traps is another. I might have some choice words for Jaroo too.

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-28, 04:46 PM
So, enough info for a knowledge: arcana check? [roll0]

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 02:15 PM
Inside the mind of the druid:

Technically, small creatures don't need to trap either. Humans avoid dragons, trap mammoths, hunt deer and pigs, and ignore squirrels (but eat them if nothing else is around).

Kobolds can avoid mammoths, trap deer, hunt pigs and squirrels, and ignore insects (or eat them if nothing else is around).

As long as you live in a functional ecology you don't have to use traps. Which is good, since they lead to over-hunting and depletion of big game. Plus the animals they catch are starving and wounded for a week or two before the trapper walks by to pick them up. It's not a system that mot people would call respectful of nature - Tell is pro-hunting but anti-trapping, which would shock a lot of animal activists today but is in line with hunter-gatherer practices.

Okay, that was a lot more soapboxy than it needed to be. I just wanted to let y'all know why the heck Mr. Boar-Butcherer is up in arms about trapping. :smallwink:

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 02:28 PM
Who ever said that hunter-gatherers don't trap? Some of my Archaeology, History, and Anthropology teachers would disagree with you on that point. Besides, there are many different kinds of traps, some of which kill pretty quickly. Also, the Native Americans and other cultures utilized traps in addition to their hunting practices without depleting game. The gun is the biggest depleater of big game. Bison were not hunted to extinction by traps. Besides, mistrapped animals that may not be eaten by people will be eaten by other scavengers.

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 02:33 PM
Sorry, I should clarify. Hunter-gatherers don't do trap "lines" the way Western/modern trappers do (and the way it sounds like this guy does). Do they know how to snare? Yes, and they use all kinds of cunning traps to make sure there is meat in the diet. But that's different than what we think of as "trapping" - walking trap lines to effectively farm the forest for meat, ivory or fur. In a medieval context, if someone is "trapping", this is probably what they're doing.

To illustrate my point, look at the population of beavers in North America when hunter-gatherers were "trapping" (stayed stable and plentiful for hundreds of years) versus the huge drop off and near extinction when a relatively small white population started trapping beavers for fur. It's just a different approach.

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 02:35 PM
But it's not trapping that was the problem, It was international demand for a local product that was exploited. It never would have happened otherwise. Things can be hunted into extinction too, as was the buffalo, which was more like a slaughter. It's not the how that should bug you but the why that is important.

P.S. Who do you think taught the white man how to trap the beavers? Native Americans did not need to hunt them. It was easier to trap them. Native Americans hunted the beaver for trade with the white man in greater numbers than the white men too.

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 02:46 PM
Well, although I agree that anything can be overdone, trapping requires less effort than hunting (especially pre-firearms) and as such it is much easier to ruin an ecology with it.

That said, however, I didn't mean to start an ideological debate. Let me put it this way: even if I am totally wrong in my views on trapping, Tell just so happens to be mistaken in the exact same way. :smallsmile: And whereas I myself can agree to disagree, he is much more likely to look for the traps and bust them up.

Unless there's like, you know, a dragon to deal with or something. Then traps are a little lower on the priority list.

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 02:53 PM
Sure, we can shelve this one. I'm not saying trapping is great, I just wanted to argue the historic view of things for the heck of it since i am a history major and point out what i think may be some of the underlaying factors for extinction and overhunting or overtrapping. Anywho, onto the green dragon, an apex predator we are about slaughter for no reason other than the fact that we know it has an evil alignment and nice loot. :smallwink:

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. If Tell could manage to get around it (or most monsters) without killing it he would, but I suspect the dragon will have other plans. Poor us, we'll just have to deal with a big horde of loot. :D

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 03:00 PM
Well, we do get XP for defeating it, so we wouldn't have to kill it strictly speaking. I have these kinda "devil's advocate" talks with my Druid PC all the time. Thankfully, she has still agreed to marry me.

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 03:09 PM
Well, we do get XP for defeating it, so we wouldn't have to kill it strictly speaking. I have these kinda "devil's advocate" talks with my Druid PC all the time. Thankfully, she has still agreed to marry me.

The player, you mean? (I hope?)

Tarinth
2008-03-04, 04:00 PM
Yes the player! LOL Boy, I'd have some screws lose if I was marrying a character in my campaign. But seriously, we could not kill the dragon and still get XP if you wanted too. Unlike the evil clerics inside the temple, this is just a dragon that's in the wrong place at the wrong time. How would we like it if we bought a house and got robbed and killed a week afterwards by goblins.

Another_Poet
2008-03-04, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'd be up for that, if it's possible.

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-04, 11:29 PM
Who said we were going to kill it? As long as it is willing to let Megiddo poke around in its lair for residual extraplanar influences, he won't have any reason to kill it. Of course, that isn't likely, and he's not going to let a dragon interfere with his duties.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-05, 05:13 PM
Okay, I've built up a crude little skeleton of a mapping system. Here's an example map. (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/mapAgain.php) Just select a character from the pulldown, click where you want his upper left corner to be, then hit the "Move Them!" button to save it.

At the very least, I'll put on some password protection to prevent outside interference, and I'll see about allowing for some sort of logging to keep track of previous moves.

We trust each other enough that I don't have to make separate accounts that restrict you to moving your own characters, right? I'd rather not have to worry about that right now.

Let me know if any of you have any problems getting that map to work or if you get any effects that look really wierd.

Another_Poet
2008-03-05, 09:16 PM
As long as I use IE it works fine. Pretty nifty. Would you be up for PMing me about how exactly you set that up?

And, I'm assuming this is intentional, but those aren't our characters. Test PCs I imagine?

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-05, 09:56 PM
As long as I use IE it works fine. Pretty nifty. Would you be up for PMing me about how exactly you set that up?
Little bit o' Javascript and CSS. Lots of PHP. :smallbiggrin:

On the whole, it could still use a little bit of tidying up. See if I can get it to conform to a strict DTD if at all possible. Maybe even see if I can manage to tidy up the whitespace while I'm at it, since I hate badly presented code when I hit "View Source" on other peoples' pages. But sometimes it can be hard to manage indenting when most of the HTML is written by a PHP script, which is the only reason I'm putting up with this now.

And, I'm assuming this is intentional, but those aren't our characters. Test PCs I imagine?
Yeah. They're from the other campaign I DM. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15594) Azadeth is a PC. Chonk is a cohort. Dulos and the Dragon are enemy NPCs.

And the map is overly large to accomodate long moving battles and high fly speeds. Should probably use smaller maps whenever possible.

Although this whole thing is set up to prevent myself from having to directly change the map myself all the time, as is current practice, I suppose it'll still be up to me to add non-instantaneous magic effects, including summoned creatures, for you. For the time being, anyway. An interface to add new counters is gonna have to go on my "to-do" list. :smallbiggrin: In the mean time, you'll just have to ask me to add items to represent any hailstorms or summoned elementals you may introduce to the field.

...I think I'm rambling.

EDIT:

As long as I use IE it works fine.
Wait a minute. You're having trouble on other browsers?

Hm... Yeah Mozilla engines like Camino and Firefox don't render the images at all. Don't know why. I'll have to find out.

Everything renders on Safari, but the figures don't move. No errors on the Javascript panel either. Gonna have to really work on that. I had a test version that worked on Safari before. Gonna have to dig that out.

Works just peachy in Opera, which was my test platform.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-05, 11:16 PM
I suppose it'll still be up to me to add non-instantaneous magic effects, including summoned creatures, for you.

All the more reason not to use summoning spells. :smallwink:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-06, 08:13 AM
Firefox bug has been fixed.

EDIT (7:24): Possible New Firefox bug. When movements are saved in Firefox, they do not register with other browsers. Likewise, saves in other browsers do not register with Firefox. Those with multiple browsers to test this on, please help verify this. Problem does not appear to extend to Camino. Turns out I was a total idiot on this one. Firefox was using the version on my hard drive, while my other browsers were opening the actual Ripway file. That explains a lot. :smallredface:

EDIT (7:33): Safari bug fixed. Seems to have had the same cause as the original Firefox bug. Just a different manifestation. (So it was technically fixed 20 minutes ago, but I didn't check it out until just now.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-07, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have any particular images they want me to use for their character's representation on the map?

Tarinth
2008-03-07, 04:15 PM
If you could get a picture of the kobold trapsmith mini from the new Desert of Desolation set or a Dragonwrought kobold, that would be fine. Otherwise, just use whatever is easiest for you to make.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-08, 09:44 AM
Wow.

I just did a Google image search for "Kobold Trapsmith". The first result was a picture from the WotC preview of Races of the Dragon. The second and third results, where both the Verbobonc area map shown in this thread. The fourth was Another Poet's avatar.

Pretty crazy, huh?

EDIT: Tarinth, how would you like this guy (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rodragon_gallery/94140.jpg)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-08, 03:55 PM
Okay, I have a useable version of the map up now. It's got the password protection and the logging now. Since I made some changes to an external script that was used for saving some of the data, the example map above is no longer compatible, so I have taken it down for the time being.

However, I do have the Moathouse map up. (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php) I'll PM you guys the password so you can set up your marching order.

You'll note there are spaces covered in rubble. So you'll want to know the game effects of that (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#floors).

Another_Poet
2008-03-08, 04:48 PM
Cool!

And I have to say, I just tried the same google search you did and am completely mystified by the results.

Also, after a lot of unsuccessful digging around for a good picture of an African tribal priest, I have temporarily given up on finding a picture for Tell. However, I really like the little nametag you made for him. That'll work.

ap

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-11, 03:11 PM
To be honest, theres no real point in either myself or Entertainer making a post. Orthus wouldn't object, and I doubt the paladin is gonna disregard the advice of the other paladin. Unless something actually happens, theres very little for us to do at Nulb('cause, you know.. Goody-goodys).

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-12, 07:26 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting, but I haven't been able to get to a computer, and I've been heavily medicated, so what I would have posted might not have been coherent anyway. I should be able to post more on my break today.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-13, 03:11 PM
…I've been heavily medicated…
Ooh! That doesn't sound nice. Hope it's nothing serious.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-13, 03:16 PM
Well, I felt like my head was on fire Monday morning. I'm better now, and off the medication, which kept me out the better part of two days.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-13, 04:12 PM
Well, I felt like my head was on fire Monday morning. I'm better now, and off the medication, which kept me out the better part of two days.
Any idea what caused it?

Good that you're better, of course. :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2008-03-13, 09:23 PM
:smallamused: Zero, you're just having way too much fun playing Orthus. :smallwink:

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-13, 09:57 PM
:smallamused: Zero, you're just having way too much fun playing Orthus. :smallwink:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer..

Another_Poet
2008-03-13, 11:33 PM
Ha! *********

Entertainer13
2008-03-14, 12:26 AM
To be honest, theres no real point in either myself or Entertainer making a post. Orthus wouldn't object, and I doubt the paladin is gonna disregard the advice of the other paladin. Unless something actually happens, theres very little for us to do at Nulb('cause, you know.. Goody-goodys).
Or maybe because I'm working 10 hour days is why I don't post.... :smalleek:

Entertainer13
2008-03-14, 12:39 AM
Heeeeeeere's... Lor?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Entertainer13/Lor.gif

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-14, 12:50 AM
Or maybe because I'm working 10 hour days is why I don't post.... :smalleek:

The point I was making was more to the order of moving on to something where we, the players, can reasonably interact with our world given our ethical and physical constraints. It's like playing out going to the bathroom, or eating. We know it happens, but it doesn't need to be spotlighted because theres nothing we can do or say other than "it happens".

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 07:22 AM
All the same, I don't want to gloss over a potentially important detail without giving you a chance to take a better look at it yourself…

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I have recieved confirmation that Thistle Dew will not be joining us at all now.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-14, 06:19 PM
Except for the fact that Orthus is the only one who could reasonably enter the town without falling. 'Cause, you know, two paladins in the party. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 07:04 PM
Except for the fact that Orthus is the only one who could reasonably enter the town without falling. 'Cause, you know, two paladins in the party. :smalltongue:
Uh… Xaod did say, "It's empty now."

And Lor is a Knight.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-14, 07:07 PM
If it's empty, then theres even less reason to visit it since it'll just detract from our journey.

And I thought Lor was a Paladin.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-14, 09:21 PM
Nope. Knight (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=33297).

Not that Orthus would necessarily be aware of the distinction yet…

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-14, 09:39 PM
Or particularly care. Meaty-beatstick they both be.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-15, 02:55 PM
this has actually come up in-game already, when I was antagonizing him about his beliefs, remember? link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3621634&postcount=38)

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-15, 09:03 PM
Then Orthus probably forgot. Or, you know.. Doesn't particularly care.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-15, 10:51 PM
Poet—any particular reason Tell is preparing summon nature's ally, when he can spontaneously sacrifice other prepared spells for the same effect (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/druid.html#druid-spontaneous-casting) instead?

Another_Poet
2008-03-16, 02:03 PM
Player Error. :)

Yeah, I actually don't play a lot of casters so I'm not used to all the features. Next time I prepare spells I put something else in that slot.

I also didn't know that the bodies of dead summoned monsters disappear. I figured they'd stick around in corpse form until the duration of the spell ended. So, I thought I had at least a few round of eating before the frog realised he didn't feel full anymore. On the other hand this may actually work out better: most animals love eating, and if he gets to eat a couple hundred fish (or few thousand flies or whatever it is he likes) and never get full, he might actually enjoy that. Depending on his intelligence he may not even connect the dots and realise he isn't feeling full, because it's SO YUMMY!

*fingers crossed*

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-19, 06:11 AM
You know.. Orthus is honestly contemplating just abandoning the paladin to his fate when the fighting starts. 'Cause this guy is seriously pissing him off.

Another_Poet
2008-03-19, 09:52 AM
You know.. Orthus is honestly contemplating just abandoning the paladin to his fate when the fighting starts. 'Cause this guy is seriously pissing him off.

I eagerly await that moment.

Tell is seriously considering peeing, because the water in the river is so cold.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-20, 12:44 AM
I think our group is waiting for the screen to load.

Another_Poet
2008-03-20, 09:19 AM
I think our group is waiting for the screen to load.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but that makes me think of the old computer games I would play in the late 80's on my Tandy 1000.

Ah, Hero's Quest... how I wish there were more of your kind...

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-20, 10:46 PM
Just a generic CRPG reference. Especially with some FF games. You could get up and make yourself a sandwich, y'know.

Of course, with FFXII, you can do that as soon as a fight starts, then come back when its over to move around on the map some more.

I love gambits, it makes grinding so much easier.

You should check out Descent, it is very reminiscent of Hero's Quest.

Another_Poet
2008-03-21, 08:29 AM
Just a generic CRPG reference. Especially with some FF games. You could get up and make yourself a sandwich, y'know.

Of course, with FFXII, you can do that as soon as a fight starts, then come back when its over to move around on the map some more.

I love gambits, it makes grinding so much easier.

You should check out Descent, it is very reminiscent of Hero's Quest.

FFXII is one of my favourites. Were you the person I was talking about that?

Another_Poet
2008-03-21, 09:07 PM
I know Tell is one or more miles away from the other group, but can I shoot arrows at them? Maybe on a nat 20? Maybe a Banish Paladin spell, or just Silence?

I will pay triple the DMG price if I can have a scroll of long-distance Silence. (Well actually Megiddo will, but I'll pay him back.)

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-21, 09:08 PM
The paladin's getting on your nerves too? This is why I can never have be in the same party as a paladin..

Another_Poet
2008-03-21, 09:16 PM
The paladin's getting on your nerves too? This is why I can never have be in the same party as a paladin..

I can actually get along with a normal paladin. This guy's insane. I mean, Orthus is a jerk, but when the knight says something reasonable he only makes one or two more asinine comments before falling in line. The paladin on the other hand demands conditions including a duel. If you end up dueling him I think you should kill him. For real. It's a duel, no one will question it.

ap

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-21, 09:20 PM
Orthus is a jerk only when other people are drunk and/or stupid first. Otherwise, he's a pretty agreeable guy.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-22, 09:22 AM
I mean, Orthus is a jerk, but when the knight says something reasonable he only makes one or two more asinine comments before falling in line.
Well, if ya haven't noticed, these "asinine comments" are what's consistently setting Xaod off. He's managed to pull back some himself once or twice when Lor's suggested something himself. He doesn't get back to yelling and screaming until Orthus calls him a coward.

In any case, even as DM, separate from Xaod, I'm not seeing exactly what grounds Orthus is using to repeatedly accuse Xaod of passing the buck. Can I get some insight here?

...Unfortunately, I think the dwarf really has pushed Xaod off the deep end now.

This is why I can never have be in the same party as a paladin..
Eh, Xaod was never was an ideal specimen of paladinhood. So it's not a good test case, really.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-22, 06:24 PM
In any case, even as DM, separate from Xaod, I'm not seeing exactly what grounds Orthus is using to repeatedly accuse Xaod of passing the buck. Can I get some insight here?

"Can you handle half the hobgoblin clan?" "I don't think thats fair. We should split them up equally." "Oh, so you aren't totally sure in your ability to do my job for me."

That whole exchange ring a bell? It's infuriating by itself to be unfairly singled out(though Orthus is a non-human, so he doesn't think it's purely because of his vocational choices), little lone unfairly singled out to do the job that someone else has trained his entire adult life to do.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-23, 08:07 AM
Orthus needs a new Sarcasm Detector:

Grinning sarcastically, Xaod responds, "Okay. But if he's so capable, he can take the entire left flank for us."
(emphasis added)

Even if Xaod were serious and he honestly believed that Orthus were capable of taking on half of the hobgoblins, it's hardly cowardice to recognize when there's a better combatant. It's simply intelligent allocatio of resources upon the battlefield and, in the case of a follower of a god of honor and chivalry, the great gift of a chance to prove oneself and stretch one's limit. To turn that chance down would be the real cowardice in Xaod's eyes.

But as it was, he was just trying to goad Orthus into revealing something about his combat skills that would be a bit more useful than "I can handle myself in battle." Though extremely rude, the "It's nice to know these things" comment was sincere. He honestly wants to know those things.

Yeah, you'd think a paladin of a god of chivalry would have better manners. But he doesn't.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-23, 08:19 AM
Sarcastic or not, it definitely pisses Orthus off, particularly since he feels like he's being ostracized as the only non-human in the immediate area, which is only further compounded by the fact that they're off to kill non-humans.

And "I can handle myself in combat" is a pretty good description considering the world is populated by dragons, fighters capable of defying the laws of physics and replicate magic, and wizards who can destroy armies without breaking a sweat.

Either way, I'll have a post up once Entertainer has time to post a response to Xaod's earlier comments.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-23, 01:55 PM
Sarcastic or not, it definitely pisses Orthus off, particularly since he feels like he's being ostracized as the only non-human in the immediate area, which is only further compounded by the fact that they're off to kill non-humans.
Can't say I see where Xaod or anyone else has expressed anything bordering on racism. You can't deny that you've antagonized Xaod as much as he has you. Race has very little to do with it.

And, with all due respect, Orthus's comments do make him appear rather eager to slay those other nonhumans.

And "I can handle myself in combat" is a pretty good description considering the world is populated by dragons, fighters capable of defying the laws of physics and replicate magic, and wizards who can destroy armies without breaking a sweat.
All to drastically different degrees. You'll be a fair ally against a sorcerer that only just barely mastered fireball, but useless against his older and more powerful brother that casually flings a meteor swarm at everything that he finds mildly annoying. Skill level is still an issue. "Just how good are you?" is a fair question regardless of the setting.

Plus Xaod is interested in Orthus's combat style, as evidenced by the way he phrased that first question—"What is it you do?." That would be an important thing to consider when developing plans. Sure, he can see from the armor and weapons that Orthus is a heavy smash 'em up tank type on the surface. But it doesn't tell him whether Orthus would be best employed against the front lines where a style best represented by Shock Trooper and Combat Brute feats can be best put to use ploughing through everyone or if Xaod and Lor need to take care of those front lines to open up a path for Orthus so he can concentrate the damage of his Stone Dragon maneuvers on the few enemy spellcasters in back. I don't think Orthus has necessarily given away that he's a cleric to Xaod yet, either, which is something Xaod would find extremely important.

Point is, to Xaod Orthus is a totally unknown quantity, and too many unkowns will get the group killed.

Just so I'm clear on this: Is Xaod just pissing Orthus off, or is he also pissing you off?

Entertainer13
2008-03-24, 01:54 AM
I know what I'd like is to just get to the stinking temple.

If this keeps up, Lor is going to have to commit sepuku... :smallfrown:

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-24, 08:03 AM
And, with all due respect, Orthus's comments do make him appear rather eager to slay those other nonhumans.

Well dwarves have a +1 bonus on attack and damage VS orcs and goblinoids.. So it has to have a roleplaying application somewhere. Were we attacking something non-goblinoid, such as evil humans, Orthus would be asking questions about why we're getting involved.

I don't think Orthus has necessarily given away that he's a cleric to Xaod yet, either, which is something Xaod would find extremely important.

Point is, to Xaod Orthus is a totally unknown quantity, and too many unkowns will get the group killed.

Actually, he did remark about praying at midnight and would have prayed to Zagyg rather openly during the night. A simple Knowledge(Religion) check would probably have told Xaod everything he needs to know about Orthus' job and religious application. In that, he'd have learned real quickly what Orthus can do.

And yes, Orthus was antagonistic when they met because Xaod was drunk. And then brought it up later when they met, which caused Xaod to threaten to attack him. He'd been honoring Lor's request from the other day when Xaod decided to start something. From his point of view, the paladin is just a waste of his time.

Just so I'm clear on this: Is Xaod just pissing Orthus off, or is he also pissing you off?

He's pissing me off 'cause I just plain don't like paladins. But thats not why he's pissing Orthus off. He's pissing Orthus off because he shows up drunk, only barely sobers up when it's his job, gallivants through the country-side without any real support aside from himself and a dwarf he doesn't know, all while antagonizing Orthus with his drunken demeanor and idiocy. And now he wants to fight.

Honestly, if Orthus gets involved in this fight he's not gonna pull punches until the paladin's nearly done for.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-24, 08:41 AM
Actually, he did remark about praying at midnight and would have prayed to Zagyg rather openly during the night. A simple Knowledge(Religion) check would probably have told Xaod everything he needs to know about Orthus' job and religious application. In that, he'd have learned real quickly what Orthus can do.
Well, assuming he bothered to look at Orthus's prayers to the extent he recognized it as preparing spells. Being religiously devout doesn't necessarily mean one is a spellcaster.

And then there's still that matter of "To what extent."

And yes, Orthus was antagonistic when they met because Xaod was drunk.
Gonna have to keep Orthus out of future tavern-related adventure hooks, then. :smallwink:

And then brought it up later when they met...
And you were meeting at his invitation to discuss a more pressing matter. To some, that's an abuse of a good faith invitation, 'specially when the comment is worded as a personal attack.

He'd been honoring Lor's request from the other day when Xaod decided to start something. From his point of view, the paladin is just a waste of his time.
Eh, he might have held back on some of the barbs if he realized Orthus's Sarcasm Detector was broken. :smallwink:

With all due respect, I'd say Orthus probably should have realized that calling a paladin serving a god of Courage a coward was going to, uh, complicate things.

I wouldn't say the blame rests on only one party here.

He's pissing Orthus off because he shows up drunk...
He shows up drunk? Lor and Orthus approached him. He certainly wouldn't have been drunk if he had any reason to expect them. He does have some sense of priorities. Hence his desire to get sober before conducting business. His state when Lor and Orthus met him was simply coincidence and bad timing.

only barely sobers up when it's his job...
Nah, he would have sobered up in the next morning even if you didn't meet him. But he did put a greater effort into making sure he was in a more presentable condition when he realized duty was finally calling him back.

gallivants through the country-side without any real support aside from himself and a dwarf he doesn't know...
Whereas Orthus, as the dwarf Xaod barely knows, is the enabler in that task.

Yeah, the paladin of Heironeous puts a lot of trust in the knight that also follows Heironeous when she vouches for this unknown dwarf. Go figure.

Thought a cleric of a god of Eccentricity and Whimsy would appreciate that. Y'know, it'd be a credit rather than a liability on Xaod's part.

all while antagonizing Orthus with his drunken demeanor and idiocy.
To be fair, the only time Xaod wasn't antagonizing Orthus is when he was drunk. He's stayed pretty sober since then.

And now he wants to fight.
Can hardly be a surprise after Orthus kept on reminding Xaod that he follows a god of Battle.

Honestly, if Orthus gets involved in this fight he's not gonna pull punches until the paladin's nearly done for.
And that's going to make the situation better how? Remember, Orthus will also have to deal with Lor, who also has a thing about honor.

Entertainer13
2008-03-24, 12:18 PM
If he seriously beats the carp out of an NPC because of some in character/out of character need to stay true to himself, I'm done.

I'm sorry, but this has been 50/50 not letting go on everyone's part. Xaod's character has a quick temper. He's not too quick on the uptake, sober or drunk (I should point out he was only drunk when we met him). We are people he doesn't know well, and when the one who has nothing to do with his order starts belittling him, his anger became quick. He's been easily pushed and it's been annoying as heck that he can't take the high road, but the mod made him this way. (Should've been a follower of Kord, I reckon...)

Meanwhile, mister 20 wisdom decides that a wise course of action is to hang around with folks whom he disagrees sharply on in life views and continually finds things to focus on and beat into the ground with every sentence uttered by Xaod. Is Xaod a jerk? Yes. Is it prudent to keep poking said jerk until they explode? Uh....no. And with a 20 wisdom, Orths should know better.

I'm a role player at heart. I was trying to portray a somewhat rookie Knight who's seen some service in the military being thrust into the world. All she meets are very disagreeable people and while she might have the devotion to her deity to continue towards the temple and battle hobgoblins, I'm getting to the point where I'd rather call it a day than deal with this junk. I'd like to just be dragged by the hook to the freaking temple and not debate who started what and who's character is at fault.

How about we just say the dwarf wrestled a boar in front of Xaod's eyes and bested him in an amazing show. Overwhelemd by his amazing dwarveness, everyone agreed he would be great in battle, everyone says they'll split the group of even goblinoids evenly, and we can all get on this freaking yellow brick road and do something other than argue.

Man, I wish I was talking to giant frogs right now...

Another_Poet
2008-03-24, 12:58 PM
Would you take half of the giant frog. or 1/3?

:smallbiggrin:

sorry, couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-24, 01:12 PM
:biggrin:

Oh, man. I think I needed that.

Yeah, I'm a far more receptive audience to you than the various NPCs have been to Tell so far. :smalltongue:

Tarinth
2008-03-24, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I was happy with the frog too until I started drowning.(darn those nat 1's) I'll bet i look pretty apetizing now. Hopefully Tell's fish offer has satiated his hunger for now.

Entertainer13
2008-03-24, 01:34 PM

:smallbiggrin:

sorry, couldn't resist. :smalltongue:
I'll take half.

With a side of Bacon... Oh, to fight! Screw it, I'm using my Knight's Challenge on the Amphibian. Loser gets eaten! :smallbiggrin:

Thanks, AP. If this was HCrealms, I'd so rep you.

Another_Poet
2008-03-24, 01:46 PM
Thanks, AP. If this was HCrealms, I'd so rep you.

Not sure what it means but I'll take it as a compliment :)

Entertainer13
2008-03-24, 01:52 PM
Not sure what it means but I'll take it as a compliment :)
Oh, sorry. I also play HeroClix, and their largest fan site has the ability to "rep" someone's post if you like it. You can only rep a specific person once in a rotation of 20 or so reps, I believe. You gained points for being repped. The more points you get, the higher your rep is, and thus I give about 600 points right now when I rep someone (I ran a design tournament. Got repped crazy for that).

Donors used to be able to neg rep, but that got abused... so yeah. It's gone. :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-24, 02:06 PM
Well, assuming he bothered to look at Orthus's prayers to the extent he recognized it as preparing spells. Being religiously devout doesn't necessarily mean one is a spellcaster.

That sounds like his problem, not mine..

Gonna have to keep Orthus out of future tavern-related adventure hooks, then. :smallwink:

Orthus wouldn't have minded had it not been a paladin. One has expectations when meeting a paladin, and being a drunk is not one of them.

And you were meeting at his invitation to discuss a more pressing matter. To some, that's an abuse of a good faith invitation, 'specially when the comment is worded as a personal attack.

Technically Orthus was there because he felt that the strange people he met on the side of the road were worth hanging around. Sure, they were strangers he didn't know, but a God of Eccentricies isn't above hypocrisy.

Eh, he might have held back on some of the barbs if he realized Orthus's Sarcasm Detector was broken. :smallwink:

Discrimination is a serious problem for most humans, as far as I can tell from Greyhawk.

With all due respect, I'd say Orthus probably should have realized that calling a paladin serving a god of Courage a coward was going to, uh, complicate things.

He should have, but heat of the moment. Stuff happens.

I wouldn't say the blame rests on only one party here.

I wouldn't either, but Orthus disagrees with us both.

His state when Lor and Orthus met him was simply coincidence and bad timing.

Yes, but unfortunately first impressions are incredibly hard to break. As for the showing up part, I meant to say "they showed up and he's drunk".

Whereas Orthus, as the dwarf Xaod barely knows, is the enabler in that task.

That doesn't mean Orthus doesn't find it stupid to act that way.

Yeah, the paladin of Heironeous puts a lot of trust in the knight that also follows Heironeous when she vouches for this unknown dwarf. Go figure.

Thought a cleric of a god of Eccentricity and Whimsy would appreciate that. Y'know, it'd be a credit rather than a liability on Xaod's part.

Those two statements sorta contradict one another. Trusting a knight and then being whimsical sorta cancel themselves out :smalltongue:

To be fair, the only time Xaod wasn't antagonizing Orthus is when he was drunk. He's stayed pretty sober since then.

Then it's obvious what our problem is!

And that's going to make the situation better how? Remember, Orthus will also have to deal with Lor, who also has a thing about honor.

Because:

A) It'll let Orthus blow off some steam.

B) He'll heal the Paladin immediately afterwards anyway.

Meanwhile, mister 20 wisdom decides that a wise course of action is to hang around with folks whom he disagrees sharply on in life views and continually finds things to focus on and beat into the ground with every sentence uttered by Xaod. Is Xaod a jerk? Yes. Is it prudent to keep poking said jerk until they explode? Uh....no. And with a 20 wisdom, Orths should know better.

20 Wisdom doesn't mean actually mean 'wise'. Just insightful. Orthus is insightful in Xaod's drunkenness. He's also insightful in his ability to antagonize the paladin. Further, Orthus has no qualms with Lor what-so-ever. Infact, I'd say he's pretty friendly due to the Mediggo incident. Sure, he has 20 Wisdom, and that makes him insightful. But it makes him insightful into things he takes interest in. Drunken human paladins are not one of those things. (Goading drunken human paladins on the other hand, is.)

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-24, 11:56 PM
20 wisdom doesn't mean wise? to quote a good friend of mine, bawahuh?

So, Tarinth. Wings? Why were you making swim checks if you have wings?

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-25, 02:13 AM
20 wisdom doesn't mean wise? to quote a good friend of mine, bawahuh?

Remember: The Wisdom stat doesn't equate to the common conceptions of wise. The Wisdom stat simply "describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition."

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-25, 08:59 AM
Also, I don't think climbing a bunch of rocks can be called sneaky. Even we we wanted to be covert, I am the only one who could even realistically try to move silently. I don't even want to know the DC check on that one.
The DC is whatever the other guy's Listen check is.

Dragons tend to have good Listen checks, so you still don't want to know what it is. :smallwink:

In any case, as far as the rocks are concerned, I believe I linked to a page that lists the mechanical effects of the rubble when I posted the map. Light rubble has no effect on Move Silently (it's still pretty sparse stuff, I guess) and Heavy Rubble gives a -2 penalty.

Of course, if the dragon is over 20 ft. away, it has a bigger penalty on Listen.

Oh, and Kajiki should see more than Tell. He has Darkvision. :smallbiggrin:

That sounds like his problem, not mine..
True enough.

Orthus wouldn't have minded had it not been a paladin. One has expectations when meeting a paladin, and being a drunk is not one of them.
Sounds like that's Orthus's problem, not Xaods. :smallwink:

Discrimination is a serious problem for most humans, as far as I can tell from Greyhawk.
Eh, I've never seen any hint of anything more than what seems to be the stereotyped standard, which to me has always been overly-egalatarian with only a few exceptions for backwater hick antagonists and certain religions.

Actually, there are only two major areas of discrimination that I can think of that are really emphasized in most of the material I've read. The first is most non Rhenee against the Rhenee, which is a human subgroup. The other is the Scarlet Brotherhood, which is a group devoted to the superiority of the Suel, another subgroup against all others, including non-Suel humans.

The followers of Wastri, a particularly xenophobic god of amphibians, also have their issues, but I've never seen them emphasized to the point I'd call them "major."

Those two statements sorta contradict one another. Trusting a knight and then being whimsical sorta cancel themselves out :smalltongue:
Well, yeah, but it was more that if Orthus didn't realize the implicit bond of trust, it should have come off as a typical "Whatever the heck I wanna do" type thing that Zagyg would appreciate.

And to tell the truth, it's not necessarily the most sensible thing to trust a complete stranger just because she claims to follow the same god as you. So to some, Xaod travelling with Lor on the spur of the moment could be considered just as whimsical as his travelling with Orthus.

Then it's obvious what our problem is!
Unfortunately, Xaod's really nursing that jug he brought, since he knows it's not gonna last the entire campagin.

Just as well, though. Xaod may be more affable when inebriated, but he's also more likely to challenge other folks for a friendly brawl. :smalltongue:

Because:

A) It'll let Orthus blow off some steam.

B) He'll heal the Paladin immediately afterwards anyway.
And the paladin will know he wouldn't have needed the healing so badly if it weren't for Orthus to begin with. As such, it would be a pretty poor peace offering.

I don't think Orthus could convincingly pretend the lethal blows were all accidental for the entire fight.

Remember: The Wisdom stat doesn't equate to the common conceptions of wise. The Wisdom stat simply "describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition."
I think that "common sense, perception, and intuition" when taken together generally correlate with the "common conceptions of wise." Especially when you're talking about mental perception rather than sensory perception.

Personally, I'd say Entertainer's point about the 20 wisdom probably goes against the common sense part. Of course, then I think the point of a cleric of Zagyg might be that his or her wisdom is high in willpower, perception, and intuition, but not so much common sense. Either that, or they have plenty of common sense, but they don't like listening to it. Y'know, Eccentric and all. :smalltongue:

So, Tarinth. Wings? Why were you making swim checks if you have wings?
They're those "gliding only" type wings. They wouldn't be useful unless he got sufficiently high above the moat. There was no good positio for it.

He needs another ridiculously prerequisited feat to get full on flight capability.

Anyway, I'm posting away from my books with the Dragon and Troll stats right now, so it'll be a little while before I update the IC thread.

Oh, and Tarinth: You might want to delete some of those triple-posts. The option is under the Edit page.

Another_Poet
2008-03-25, 09:09 AM
Hey guys (Zero and Shhalahr), can I make a suggestion? I can? Cool, 'cuz I'm gonna.

Stop multi-quoting.

Stop responding to each other's points.

When two stubborn characters were doing it IC it was cute, then funny, then mildly annoying in the eye-rolling way. Now it's going on OOC, you have one player saying if it doesn't stop soon she's walking (and no one has addressed that, that I've seen), you've got trolls coming in that no one has posted a single roll about, and it's pretty much Derail City.

I love debates, but I recognise a pointless one when I see it. Zero thinks Orthus is the bee's knees, and Shhalahr thinks Xaod is as pure and perfect as midnight snow. Both are wrong, and neither will convince the other. Stop re-explaining your points of view and fight some trolls.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-25, 12:07 PM
When two stubborn characters were doing it IC it was cute, then funny, then mildly annoying in the eye-rolling way.
Actually, in-character Xaod tended to ignore the bulk of anything Orthus said, usually just responding to what he felt was most important—notably the whole "Yer a coward" thing. Not much point-by-pointing there. :smalltongue:

Now it's going on OOC, you have one player saying if it doesn't stop soon she's walking (and no one has addressed that, that I've seen)…
Well, I'm rather hoping my Chandler Gambit is gonna stop the IC bickering long enough. Hopefully that'll count as "stopping soon."

I love debates, but I recognise a pointless one when I see it.
I've found it far from pointless. I've learned exactly what I wanted to. Namely, how much of the sour feeling is IC vs. OoC.

Zero thinks Orthus is the bee's knees, and Shhalahr thinks Xaod is as pure and perfect as midnight snow.
"Eh, Xaod was never was an ideal specimen of paladinhood." == "Xaod is as pure and perfect as midnight snow." ? :smallconfused:

I'd say Lor's a more perfect paladin, and she doesn't even have the character class!

Both are wrong, and neither will convince the other.
Funny, it seems to me there's been a fair amount of agreement on a number of points in our last exchange.

The number of :smalltongue:s and :smallwink:s in the last few posts alone should be an indicator of the progress we've made. :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2008-03-25, 12:34 PM
In the spirit of my own advice, I won't give a long response. I'll simply say I'm happy you're now directing your long response at me instead of Zero.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-25, 12:55 PM
AP: No, Orthus isn't perfect. He's a strange dwarf who takes offense at the slightest things and refuses to let them go. But then on the reverse, he's willing to cooperate with almost anyone or anything who offers a hand or seems lost. He's also a hypocrite, but thats just to his close friends. :smalltongue:

On the subject of arguing: I stopped caring about justifying what Orthus does in my last post. In this, I believe it'll suffice to say: He's a cleric of Zagyg. He does weird things, and doesn't offer an explanation for them.

On the trolls: Initiative - [roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-25, 01:07 PM
In the spirit of my own advice, I won't give a long response. I'll simply say I'm happy you're now directing your long response at me instead of Zero.
:smallbiggrin: Hee-hee-hee!

Tarinth
2008-03-25, 01:15 PM
Megiddo, although I do indeed have wings, I lack the ability to fly. Its a two feet requirement to get wings then to get reinforced wings. Any character that wants to fly needs stregnth 13 to get the second feet, so for a kobold, it's almost out of the question unless your a fighter class. Personally, I just took the wings cuz I thought they were cool. I couldn't really find another feat i liked, so gliding is all I've got.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-25, 02:09 PM
Crap.

Not gonna be able to post up the next bit of the IC thread today. Too many things going on, and now I gotta get to work.

Sorry.

Another_Poet
2008-03-25, 02:36 PM
We love you anyway.

This time. :smallcool:

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-25, 11:26 PM
Tell would probably know by now that Megiddo is not a utility mage. He is an evoker, and a kineticist. In other words, he is good at blowing stuff up. I'll have to check, but I think illusion is one of his banned schools. The point being that Tell would already know the answer to his question, which is "no".

Now, off to check numbers.

Another_Poet
2008-03-26, 08:30 AM
Hmm, I was worried about that. Well I guess we'll go ahead and scout the first room and then you can follow (if it's safe) or blast (if it isn't). Does that sound cool?

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-26, 10:55 PM
yep, Illusion and Necromancy. Megiddo is not what you would call optimized. Not what I would call optimized, either, but something I've always wanted to play.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-26, 11:07 PM
Couple of questions: Do you need me to find a dwarf picture for Orthus? 'Cause honestly, I don't have any real attachment to any pictures. He's a pretty plain dwarf, the only notable thing is the mace he carries. Two: What's the password, again? Three: Did Orthus get hit by the spear? Four: Does Orthus know where the other trolls are or is it just "I hear them in that general direction"?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-27, 09:09 AM
No picture is required. The text label is okay as far as I'm concerned. But if you want an image and don't care, I'll see about digging something up with a Google Image search.

I'll PM you the password agan.

It was such a whiff I forgot to say it missed. :smalltongue: If that happens again in the future, you'll be able to tell it was a miss because there also won't be any note about how much damage you took.

Orthus's Listen check wasn't high enough to pinpoint the location of unseen creatures. But they were all in the same general area as the troll you saw at the edge of the forest. Sounded like it could have been a bit to the left, right, or even both. And there's no indication whatever was making those noises was retreating along with the other troll.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-27, 03:01 PM
Spellcraft to identify the spell: 20+13=33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1541246/)

Entertainer13
2008-03-27, 08:40 PM
Oh, how nice.

Roll Max damage, but my first ever attack with the character's a crit miss. :smallyuk:

Another_Poet
2008-03-27, 08:45 PM
Hey, at least we aren't using a critical fumble system. :smallamused:

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-27, 11:55 PM
Pulling a bit of a Xanatos Gambit there. Given that Megiddo got a 30 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3999764&postcount=270)Knowledge Arcana about dragons, and that blindsense is a univeral trait for true dragons, I'm assuming he would know. If not, I can edit that bit out.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 05:40 AM
Soooo, what is going on? I have no clue what happened last round. For all I know, I could be interacting with the environment of a dragon's teeth.

Sorry, Larp joke, long story. Anyway, did I kill the ooze, did the dragon turn the corner, etc.? I suppose I'll post a lengthy if-then-else action at the end of my shift tonight if I still don't know.

Edit- also, concentration check, if necessary: [roll0]

Necessary being defined as "am in somethings threat range when casting or manifesting"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-01, 10:13 AM
Soooo, what is going on?
Combination of waiting for the folks on the top of the initiative order and interference from real life.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 10:54 PM
Guys, the only reason I posted those contingencies is because I had no clue what the results from round 2 were. That is the only reason. I'm replying here, on the OOC thread to OOC comments on the IC thread.

The way I see it, if I hadn't posted that, round 2 could have been updated yesterday morning, after I went to bed. Now I'm back at a computer, and hopefully round 3 has also happened, and I can post my actions for round 4 (hopefully w/o ridiculous if-then-else statements).

Also, that was not a multi-round contingency. That was my action for round 3, and me trying to guess what the battlefield would look like by round 3. Based on that, it would appear that Megiddo is moving into the courtyard.

Also, if it were, I think I could justify it with my 20-something intelligence.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-02, 01:05 AM
I honestly don't know what to do other than attack the troll, as any spell I can cast is shutdown by the Silence effect.

Another_Poet
2008-04-02, 09:15 AM
Skjald: I thought your if-then planning made perfect sense and I appreciate you keeping the game moving.

Zero: Silence only has a 20 foot radius and it's centred on the troll. Can't you move and cast?

Shhalahr: I don't want to add to the gripes you're already getting, but I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Would it be possible for you to post a "Round 2" "Round 3" etc each time we finish a round?

Also, since I'm at work and can't move Tell on the map, can you tell me if I can see the dragon yet? Or Chatrilon? So far I've taken 80' of movement toward the roaring noise, minus however much for rubble.

Thanks!

AP

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-02, 11:10 AM
Zero: Silence only has a 20 foot radius and it's centred on the troll. Can't you move and cast?
Not without provoking AoOs.

Yeah, that troll's a cunninging bastard.

Shhalahr: I don't want to add to the gripes you're already getting, but I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Would it be possible for you to post a "Round 2" "Round 3" etc each time we finish a round?
Okay. If you think that will help.

Since round designations tend only to matter for the whole group on the first round, though, I'm pretty used to tracking rounds on a relative basis. Whether that kind of thing is going to add any confusion on my part remains to be seen. :smalltongue:

So far I've taken 80' of movement toward the roaring noise, minus however much for rubble.
I'm only seeing 40 ft. The last round, you took a double move, just barely clearing the rubble. The round before that, you stepped closer to the water to call to the frog.

The heavy rubble counts double, and the light rubble doesn't impede movement at all. So the "actual distance" is about 60 ft.

Tell won't be in a position to see the dragon. And Chatrilon is actually still invisible, so Tell wouldn't see him anyway. But he can tell from the noise that the fight is moving to the courtyard. And the arrow slits do allow for line of effect…

I can't seem to do anything with the map. There doesn't seem to be any way to save the map.
You're certain you're on the current map (http://h1.ripway.com/shhalahr/RttToEE/CombatMap/moathouseSurface.php)?

What browser are you using? I've confirmed the thing is absolutely broken in IE6. I'm not sure about IE7.

Here's what I get when I view the current map in Opera:

http://www.divshare.com/img/thumb/4156853-47e.jpg
Large Version (http://www.divshare.com/download/4156853-47e) (Didn't do my own thumbnail. The extra-tiny version is DivShare's doing.)

As long as a "Next Map" link is not in the area circled in blue, the password box and submit button should appear in the area circled in red.

Tarinth
2008-04-02, 12:56 PM
Sorry Skjald, I did not mean to criticize you, only to differentiate myself. I just want to keep things simple. My statements were in no way intended to stop you from posting as many contingiencies as you ant or to influence anyone else. I just want Shhalahr to realize my posting format because he implied I should post more possible actions than I have been in this thread and magic under the sun.

Another_Poet
2008-04-02, 01:05 PM
You're right, I've taken 60' total before heavy rubble (double move last time, plus 20' this time).

Thanks for posting the rounds BTW. I like to know how often I should take an action :smallsmile:

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-02, 01:08 PM
I just want Shhalahr to realize my posting format because he implied I should post more possible actions than I have been in this thread and magic under the sun.
I didn't mean it to say you should be playing Xanatos Roulette (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosRoulette) all the time. I just meant to say that on the occasion that you do have a clear plan, it doesn't hurt to give me all the details right away. That way if something happens and you can't post in a timely fashion for a couple days, I can keep this train moving.

But in most cases, yeah, you're right, it's hard enough covering your bases when you're just posting for the current round ahead of your normal initiative.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-02, 02:13 PM
I bet it is IE that is causing the problem. I think I have firefox at work.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-03, 10:44 AM
I bet it is IE that is causing the problem. I think I have firefox at work.
Well, it looks like it works now. (Unless someone else moved Megiddo for ya. :smalltongue:)

Anyway, I just uploaded a bunch of generic dot tokens so I don't have to make a mini for every possible summons. At the moment I've got both Medium/Small and Large tokens in Black, White, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple. If Tell or anyone else brings a new token on the battlefield on short notice, I'll probably use one of those. Feel free to request a specific color if ya want.

One of the current improvements to the map I'm gonna be working on is sticking a label on each mini that can be changed without changing the image itself. That will help keep things straight if the battlefield gets too crowded with dots.

Another_Poet
2008-04-03, 01:17 PM
I actually only want to be close enough for line of sight on the dragon. If you're giving me a full double move, can I be in that small room off to the east (the one that has three squares of rubble inside it)? Or, if the room kajiki is in the doorway of has an arrow slit (rather than a door) facing the steps, that would be even better.

Also I forgot the +1 doddge bonus for the Hippogriff bunless both of those attacks would've missed it makes no difference.

What is the other enemy on the map, the skull dude? Can Tell see it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-03, 01:41 PM
I actually only want to be close enough for line of sight on the dragon. If you're giving me a full double move, can I be in that small room off to the east (the one that has three squares of rubble inside it)?
Grahg. Yeah, duh. Just a single move action. Shouldn't have been a double move. Though, actually, it only takes a swift action to shapechange, so you could, say... shapeshift to a preadator form for better speed, get into that room with the rubble in a single move, and then resume your normal shape on your next turn before casting the spell.

The dragon wouldn't be in line of sight from there on Tell's turn, but I think he should just be able to make out the dragon after it does its 5-ft. step. Probably would have 3/4 to 9/10 cover if this were 3.0, though.

Or, if the room kajiki is in the doorway of has an arrow slit (rather than a door) facing the steps, that would be even better.
The door to that room is closed, so although those openings are arrow slits, Tell can't necessarily be sure they're there, let alone get into them with any haste.

I'll update the map assuming the "preadator trick." for now. Won't do it manually to save time. Map #17 will still include the mistake. Map #18 is where it's at now.

Also I forgot the +1 doddge bonus for the Hippogriff bunless both of those attacks would've missed it makes no difference.
Nope, Dodge didn't help any of those blows. The worst roll that was still a hit was 19.

What is the other enemy on the map, the skull dude? Can Tell see it?
Check the "Key". It's a corpse—the dragon's previous victim. In this lighting, it's probably a rather indistinct shadow for Tell. Megiddo's low-light vision and proximity would help him identify it. I didn' say anything directly yet, because Megiddo's focusing on the dragon. Though if he glances downward, he'll see it's a humanoid.

For the time being, it's actually part of the map image, so it's immovable.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 11:04 PM
So, I didn't see any indication of whether or not the psychic lightning had any effect on the dragon.

Ok, so I will be AFK until Sunday night, EST. Here is a rough plan for the next two rounds:

Rnd 1: Energy Ray (fire)
concentration: 1d20+9 if necessary
to-hit: 1d20+5
damage 1d6+1

Rnd 2: If the ray of fire does damage, scorching ray. If it does not(inluding if it misses), magic missile.
concentration: 1d20+9 if necessary
to-hit: 1d20+5
damage (scorching ray): 4d6
damage (magic missile): 3d4+3

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-04, 09:16 AM
So, I didn't see any indication of whether or not the psychic lightning had any effect on the dragon.
:smallredface: Oops. Meant to make that more clear. Just in too much of a hurry at the time I guess.

The "Aagh!" from the dragon was meant as the primary indicator that it did just enough damage for him to care. He's a green dragon. Electricity works just fine. :smallcool:

Another_Poet
2008-04-04, 09:25 AM
BTW Shhalahr, now that I can see the dragon this next hippogriff is going to appear in a square immediately adjacent to the beast. Full attack FTW!

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-04, 10:52 AM
Full attack FTW!
Hoody Hoo! :smallbiggrin:

Another_Poet
2008-04-04, 11:05 AM
Hoody Hoo! :smallbiggrin:

rofl!

Got a couple of fireballs coming on line here BA...

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-07, 01:15 PM
I am currently adapting to a new work schedule. Updates will be spotty for a while longer.

In the meantime, I just realized that the PNG transparency fix is likely causing the map to not work in IE 6. I'll try and have that fixed tomorrow.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-08, 12:32 AM
Your acid breath last round was described as harmless, not dodged. Your OOG and IG knowledge about dragons seems to match up though, unless Kajiki has knowledge arcana. I fortunately manages to roll a good enough knowledge check to pretty much cover what I know about dragons OOG (at least the stuff I don't have to look up).

As to speaking to Kajiki:
1) Given the known party members, it is safe for Megiddo to assume Kajiki is the source of the acid breath.
2) Megiddo isn't shouting, so feel free to have heard him or not, based on your discretion.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-09, 11:31 AM
Okay, time to test the "transparency fix causes movement bug" hypothesis.

I just removed the transparency fix code from the combat map. This means a few things might look a bit wierd on IE 6, but if my hypothesis is correct, they should be able to move.

Can one of you guys with IE 6 test for me?

Another_Poet
2008-04-09, 11:52 AM
Now all I get are empty, sky-blue cells. Black grid, nothing else.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-09, 11:58 AM
Crap. That'd be the transparency issue, I think.

I forgot, I actually have the grid drawn above the characters in order to allow the interface to better accomodate the occasional situation of two characters sharing the same square (as in the case of Orthus and the Bat).

I'll temporarily reverse that for the purposes of our experiment.

EDIT: Drawing order reversed.

If this works, I'll restore the drawing order and put up some GIFs for the time being. Not using variable transparency at the moment anyways.

Entertainer13
2008-04-09, 08:46 PM
Yeesh, it seems I'm not playing my character.

Lordy, this is what happens when you don't play the actual game for months at a time... :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-09, 09:28 PM
Eh.. I'd post but "I miss it again" gets tiresome to say after awhile..:smallfrown:

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-10, 12:39 AM
Does the light spell proceed to illuminate the dragon as it steps into the radius of the light, or is there in fact some darkness effect on the dragon? If I have an unavoidable miss chance due to darkness, my plans change.

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 08:36 AM
The dragon is in darkness? I totally missed that.

But the door to the courtyard is open, so we can see him unlss it is magical, right?

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-10, 08:53 AM
Does the light spell proceed to illuminate the dragon as it steps into the radius of the light, or is there in fact some darkness effect on the dragon?
I meant to say something about it's features being illuminated as it stepped into the radius, but I forgot about it by the time it started talking trash.

Yeah, the door to the courtyard is open, letting some light in. But with the angle of the sun relative to the outer courtyard walls and other obstructions, it's not much. It's pretty much still shadowy illumination unless you're standing within 10 or so feet of the door.

But now that the dragon is totally within Megiddo's light, there's nothing obscured about it (except perhaps for the harsh shadows that a single point light source tends to produce, which are pretty much all on Utreshimon's backside right now. :smallwink:).

Though it strikes me that Utreshimon even started out within the radius of light relative to Megiddo's low-light vision. Megiddo never really had much trouble making him out, I think. Just haven't been thinking in terms of low-light vision, I guess.

EDIT: Any word on the IE 6 thing, guys?

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 10:06 AM
I(except perhaps for the harsh shadows that a single point light source tends to produce, which are pretty much all on Utreshimon's backside right now. :smallwink:).

So in other words... my hippogriff has concealment!!

On IE, I can see and move the characters, but everything else is still blue background with black grid.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-10, 11:35 AM
So in other words... my hippogriff has concealment!!
:smalltongue: ''

Unfortunately, the rules don't generally account for that kind of shadow.

On IE, I can see and move the characters, but everything else is still blue background with black grid.
I just replaced the png grid with a gif. Let me know how that works out.

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 12:25 PM
Works great! I have to say, your tech skill is really impressive,

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 02:20 PM
Hey Maktul, do you think Kajiki could pray and scheme while shooting some friggin' arrows???

There's always a chance of a nat. :smallbiggrin:

Tarinth
2008-04-10, 05:26 PM
What arrows would I be shooting? What bow do you see on my equipment list? I have 3 HP, so I am hiding and hoping to be forgoten by Big Greeny.

Another_Poet
2008-04-10, 05:37 PM
Hey, I don't take care of provisions. I just take care of exhorting my allies to action.

If you don't have arrows, there's always a suicidal charge of glory. We promise to remember you fondly. :smalltongue:

Tarinth
2008-04-10, 09:51 PM
I imagine this will be a reacuring issue with any rogue though. I am a support class, and even the so called support I have to offer is pathetic. Any combat trap I could set would be obvious to the dragon and the DC would be more likely to hit allies thrown into it than the dragon even if we lured him to it. I hope Chatrilon is doing something constructive. Then again, mabye he is hiding like Kajiki and we are all going to die. In that case, I should start running now.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 12:26 AM
Hmm, combat rogue is a viable option, but you chose to play something quirky, which is cool in its own right. It just happens that one of those quirks doesn't affect this particular monster, what with its immunity to acid.

I meant to say something about it's features being illuminated as it stepped into the radius, but I forgot about it by the time it started talking trash.

That's ok. It is kinda important to have details like that, as I feel out opponent's vulnerabilities with cheap magic before whipping out the big guns. Like hitting it with a cheap 1d6 ray of fire before whipping out the burning hands and scorching rays. Speaking of which (cue dramatic music). . . to the IC thread!

Concentration: [roll0]

edit: I am totally taunting a dragon. Isn't it awesome? I sure am glad I have an ace up my sleeve.

Another_Poet
2008-04-11, 01:16 AM
you chose to play something quirky, which is cool in its own right.

Exactly!

There's no need to call your own character pathetic. Don't be so down on yourself... so the rogue can't slay a dragon. No biggy. You think my druid butt's gonna be disarming traps when we get into the Temple? Only if "disarm" means "falling victim to"...

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 01:32 AM
Well, you could break character and use summoned creatures to trigger traps for you.

What! . . . you could

Another_Poet
2008-04-11, 08:18 AM
Can't be any worse than sending them after this dragon. Crossign my fingers in the hopes that Mr. Hippogriff has 1 or 2 hpleft at the end of the round - it'd be nice to get a second attack out of him.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-12, 12:24 PM
I restored the original drawing order. With the grid as gifs, it should still appear okay. Let me know if it doesn't.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-13, 02:57 AM
The sitting and sucking is why I hate playing non-ToB/Casters/Binders. Particularly ones lacking full-BAB.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-13, 11:39 PM
Megiddo finishes his spell, causing another hippogriff to spring into being.

*cough*

*cough*

Re: Another_Poet

I could have backed away, but I would have taken a worse hit from the AoO than from his breath weapon. I didn't expect that it would want to stay put in a hurt locker, either.

I really didn't expect for the dragon to let us fight it from a chokepoint either.

Edit- Also, having 53 HP as a 6th level elven caster helps. I worked out the math, and I have the HP of a fighter my level when I want to.

Another_Poet
2008-04-14, 08:30 AM
*cough*

*cough*

Re: Another_Poet

I could have backed away, but I would have taken a worse hit from the AoO than from his breath weapon. I didn't expect that it would want to stay put in a hurt locker, either.

I really didn't expect for the dragon to let us fight it from a chokepoint either.

Edit- Also, having 53 HP as a 6th level elven caster helps. I worked out the math, and I have the HP of a fighter my level when I want to.

Fair enough. If you want to sit out there and draw attacks off of my hippogriff, fine by me!

Tarinth
2008-04-14, 07:49 PM
I have never played a rogue in third before nor does my other party have one, so I really wouldn't know how to make a combat rogue. Anyway, that is besides the point. I was not implying that I wanted to be a combat class, but rather justifying to Tell why I was not combating the dragon. I did not however realize that I would be so weak considering this is only my second third ed campaign. I am a big newby. :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-14, 10:31 PM
Welcome to 3rd ed. I remember theives in 2ed. They do indeed tend to have that problem.

The staples of a 3E combat rogue are either spring attack, or two weapon fighting. Taking full advantage of the fact flanking allows sneak attack is the idea. Weapon Finesse is also very common.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-17, 10:50 AM
Sorry about the delay in that update. First real-life interference, then clogged forums. :smallyuk: Bleagh!

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 09:49 PM
Um,... does Tell speak Draconic?

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-18, 10:02 AM
He could probably get the gist of what your saying based solely on the fact that you're talking to a dragon during a fight.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-18, 11:42 AM
Hey! Check it out! The shaman left an opening for Zero to get away from the silence with only a standard move! :smalltongue:

Yeah, though he's still going strong, he knows when he's losing hp faster than he's regaining them.

Another_Poet
2008-04-18, 01:31 PM
Um,... does Tell speak Draconic?

No way Jose. But I got to use my favourite line from Way of the Gun, and that should be worth bonus XP on its own.

(I didn't realise you were speaking in Draconic till after, but yeah, I figure Tell understood the general sentiment of what you were saying.)

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-18, 02:29 PM
Alright.. I'll actually do something now. :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2008-04-19, 07:15 PM
Megiddo is angry at Chatrilon? AWESOME! My hippogriffs tiptoe quietly off to the side hoping not to be noticed...

Entertainer13
2008-04-22, 12:45 AM
If I die, spread my ashes over the tavern where Orthus and Xaod first met... for humor purposes. :p

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 08:21 AM
And don't tell the clients first, just start scattering the ashes.

"Hey... you got your friend in my beer!"

"You got your beer on my friend!"

Two great tastes that taste great together.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-22, 10:47 PM
So.. How are they climbing up these trees? As far as I know, trolls don't have a climb speed. :smallconfused:

EDIT: Between bad rolls, high AC, and climb, there is absolutely no reason for us to continue fighting. Other than the fact that we can't run due to armor. The trolls can logically win via climbing a tree out of our reach, regenerate, and continue fighting while we have limits on our HP. I'd say run, but we can't outpace them anyway.

So I vote for rolling new characters. :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 11:10 PM
So.. How are they climbing up these trees? As far as I know, trolls don't have a climb speed. :smallconfused:

EDIT: Between bad rolls, high AC, and climb, there is absolutely no reason for us to continue fighting. Other than the fact that we can't run due to armor. The trolls can logically win via climbing a tree out of our reach, regenerate, and continue fighting while we have limits on our HP. I'd say run, but we can't outpace them anyway.

Hey guys... I'm sorry your battle is going so poorly, but there's an invisible ranger NPC who should be passing through your neck of the woods pretty soon...

(Yeah, Shhalahr, I know he won't take that route AND wouldn't get there in time. But it'd be funny if he showed up all the same.)

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-22, 11:25 PM
He was a ranger? I figured him for a bard until the fight, and a rogue afterwards (what with the apparent sneak attack). I guess that could have been favored enemy flavor text just as well as sneak attack flavor text, though.

Another_Poet
2008-04-22, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I thought Shhalahr called him a ranger at one point.

I prefer to think of him as xXkillstealer69Xx

(Shhalahr, I'm just enjoying ragging on the NPCs. You've done nothing wrong. Please don't be offended.)

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-22, 11:41 PM
(Shhalahr, I'm just enjoying ragging on the NPCs. You've done nothing wrong. Please don't be offended.)

I do the same thing. It's actually an admirable ability in a DM to create an NPC that is remembered despite not being plot important. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-23, 12:47 AM
You mean he wasn't supposed to be a recurring villain?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-24, 10:53 AM
Hm. And I thought the first indicator that these aren't standard MM1 trolls would the five-ft. space. And yet they're still categorized as Giants! :smalltongue:

Well, Xaod has a few suggestions about that... :smallbiggrin:

Let's not jump the gun, now. :smallamused:

Yeah, I thought Shhalahr called him a ranger at one point.
Nope. But I did say, "A moment later, the dragon screams in pain and Chatrilon appears, pulling his rapier from between two scales near where the beast's heart should be. Interestingly, the rogue appears to be relatively unscathed..."

I prefer to think of him as xXkillstealer69Xx
I thought you guys wanted the dragon alive? To that, he's just a plain out and out killer. Murderer! Assassin! Vile Betrayer! :smalltongue:

I do the same thing. It's actually an admirable ability in a DM to create an NPC that is remembered despite not being plot important. :smalltongue:
Hm. I'll have to remember that: "Memborable == Complete Dennis Leary" :smallwink:

You mean he wasn't supposed to be a recurring villain?
I can fix that for ya if you want. I mean, you did let him walk away. :smallamused:

Another_Poet
2008-04-24, 11:05 AM
I thought you guys wanted the dragon alive? To that, he's just a plain out and out killer. Murderer! Assassin! Vile Betrayer! :smalltongue:

Tell wanted the dragon alive, or better yet, to never meet the dragon.

Another_Poet was eager to kill a dragon and get the loot, thus, KILLSTEALER!

Although Megiddo dealt the death blow. Don't really understand that, either. He told the dragon he didn't have to die... I offered a healing spell to the dragon if he would meet our terms... he hadn't had a chance to answer yet, and then Megiddo killed him. Me am confused.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-24, 11:43 AM
Although Megiddo dealt the death blow. Don't really understand that, either. He told the dragon he didn't have to die... I offered a healing spell to the dragon if he would meet our terms... he hadn't had a chance to answer yet, and then Megiddo killed him. Me am confused.

Ya.. That confused me too. Then he gets all uppity about Chatrlion killing the dragon? :smallconfused:

Tarinth
2008-04-24, 11:48 AM
Yeah, and all his talk about killing nobler beings really put off kajiki. Anything a kobold manages to kill is a nobler being after all. This is a dungeon crawl, all we will do is kill nobler beings. Having a racial heirarchy and then taunting and killing those you believe are your betters is kinda odd.

Another_Poet
2008-04-24, 12:17 PM
Uh oh Skjald. Sounds like it is time for an exciting round of JUSTIFY THAT ACTION!

The rousing game where PCs and their players combine far-flung logic, quick-and-dirty sophism and overwrought theatrics to prove the worth of their insane, disgusting, or mindless activities! Megiddo and Skjaldbakka, come on down!

Tarinth
2008-04-24, 01:02 PM
OOOH! OOOH! I remember this game. I'll guess 678$ Bob.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-24, 10:09 PM
I was going to wait to be called on that in game, but if you don't plan to, I can explain OOC.

Another_Poet
2008-04-25, 08:09 AM
Hmm... between Tell knowing Megiddo pretty well by now, and Tell not really being one to criticise others' choices (in most cases), I probably won't bring it up IC.

Tarinth
2008-04-25, 10:40 AM
Kajiki probably won't bring it up unless pressed do to his position within the party that he now feels may be precarious. As a player, I really don't care if the dragon died, although i do think the situation surrounding it was odd. So explain if you wish.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-25, 11:03 AM
As a player, I really don't care if the dragon died, although i do think the situation surrounding it was odd.
Ooh! Sounds like it's time for some investigative action! :smalltongue:

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-26, 03:41 PM
I just remembered that Orthus and Xaod would have been given Will saves against the Silence effect. :smallredface:

None the less.. Theres nothing left to do but let Orthus die.

EDIT: When Orthus dies, I'm gonna roll up something that isn't a Cleric. Also, he triggers an AoO for charging.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-26, 03:56 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure the save is only for the creature you cast it on. Once it's up, it's up.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-26, 04:19 PM
I don't care anyway, so if thats what you're ruling then nevermind my previous comment.

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-27, 10:53 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I'm just wanting Orthus to die in some useful manner. So he's not going to retreat.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-27, 11:03 PM
I always thought the will save was to get the silence to 'stick' on a creature. That way, you can either force the silence to follow the target, but risk the spell failing if they made their save, or to cast it on a point in space, thus denying any save, but allowing people to move out of the area.

I occasionally have run encounters with a rogue hidden with an arrow with silence cast on it, and a readied action to fire on the first person to try to cast a spell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-28, 09:18 AM
I always thought the will save was to get the silence to 'stick' on a creature. That way, you can either force the silence to follow the target, but risk the spell failing if they made their save, or to cast it on a point in space, thus denying any save, but allowing people to move out of the area.
That would be a more detailed way of stating my point above. :smallsmile:

ZeroNumerous
2008-04-28, 09:49 AM
Works for me.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-06, 11:39 AM
Okay, I recieved word that, for his own reasons, ZeroNumerous is dropping from the game. Hence the sudden gratuitous "sacrifice."

Tarinth is unsure if he'll continue to have reliable internet connectivity in the coming months, so his future with this game is uncertain.

I'm going to open a recruiting thread to help cover the bases. Get one or two more people to fill Zero's/Orthus's shoes as well as avoid having too big a gap if Tarinth is forced to drop.

Anything you want me to push for in the candidate selection process?

Another_Poet
2008-05-06, 12:42 PM
Frequent posts.

Tarinth
2008-05-06, 01:09 PM
I am now fairly certain that I will need replacing. Oh well. Perhaps I should go over to hoppity's pond and go for a swim.

Another_Poet
2008-05-06, 01:14 PM
OR we could kill you for XP.

Augh a kobold GET IT!! *chop chop chop* Hey wait weren't there three of us before?

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-06, 01:48 PM
It looks like my posting rate is going to pretty much suck this week and a little into next week, due to moving and adjusting to a new work schedule.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-06, 02:17 PM
It looks like my posting rate is going to pretty much suck this week and a little into next week, due to moving and adjusting to a new work schedule.
Okay. Any objections if I take control of Megiddo when necessary?

Entertainer13
2008-05-07, 08:23 AM
Well, I'D say go for it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-07, 09:29 AM
Kajiki taking off right away, now? Oy. Gotta get that recruitment thread up.

Everyone's had a chance to register preferences, so I'll go ahead and do that today.

EDIT: Man, I totally misjudged the difficulty of those trolls.

…Sorry.

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-07, 09:44 AM

No problem. Was planning on switching in some Protection from X spells today. Will try and get that figured out during my shift today, if I have any desk time. Lots of shelving to do though, it being the end of the semester.

I love working at the library ^_^

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-07, 11:33 AM
Okay: Recruiting Thread, here.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-08, 11:15 AM
Did we ever discuss the use of Flaws from Unearthed Arcana when we were generating characters? I don't think we did, and a quick thread search would seem to indicate we didn't.

The subject's just come up in the recruitment thread, and I want to make sure I'm not stiffing anyone on character building opportunities before a make any further comment.

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-08, 11:44 AM
I don't much care for flaws, myself.

Another_Poet
2008-05-08, 11:47 AM
I always thought the idea of flaws was great, based on my ShadowRun experience. Then I actually read the list of UA flaws while making a gnome paladin, and I ran away screaming. Not really. But you get the point: I didn't feel the flaws were worth taking, but I don't mind if others want to take them.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-09, 12:34 PM
Okay. We've got a number of applicants in the recruitment thread. I'd like to know what you guys think.

PM me any comments you may have on available sheets. (Remember that the applicants have access to this thread.)

I'll keep the recruitment going into next week, so we'll probably have a few more applicants, too. So we won't be making a final decision before then.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-13, 09:54 AM
I've closed the recruitment thread for new submissions. The first post of the thread has links to the applicants' character sheets. Please take a look at what we've got and PM me with any comments/votes/whatever you may have.

If you're really up to it, rank them all in order of preference.

I'll see if I can update the IC thread again today, but at the moment, I gotta get some other work done.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-26, 05:20 PM
I have taken all your input in mind and reached a decision on the new characters. There were so many good ones, I had to invite three. They are:

Terminus Aristi, LN Human Cleric of Fate (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=4014), byXerah
Pyro Aeliat, NG Gray Elf Factotum (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=53664), by Frosty
Grigor, CN Human Bard/Cleric of Olidammara (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54723), by Lycar

We will want to decide how to fit them all into the game, so get ready to do some brainstorming.

Xerah
2008-05-26, 05:56 PM
Hey all. *waves*

I worked my entrance into my character's backstory. I'm not sure if Shhalahr has other plans for what set off the alarm, but it seemed to me like a good way to start. From looking at the IC post, it still fits, but I'm free to take alternate suggestions.

Here's the end of his backstory if you don't want to read the whole thing:

As he was leaving the office, he noticed a piece of paper upon Rander’s desk. For some reason, Fate had decided he was to take this paper. It was heavily torn and illegible, but he was able to make out a few words: Fire. Destruction. Temple. Hommlet. End. It was decided. Fate wanted Terminus to find this temple in Hommlet.

As he was approaching the Moathouse near the temple, the sounds of an alarm echoed in his ears…

Frosty
2008-05-26, 11:46 PM
I'm not quite sure how to enter. MY character is quite clueless in some respects. She just heard rumors of trouble and is wandering around. Oh and she is CG now not NG.

Lycar
2008-05-27, 12:22 AM
Ah yes, hello everybody.

So about integrating Grigor into the game. Well, he could as well be travelling around for no other reason then that. Or he could have come across news of the trouble breing in the village and decide to head there to take a look.

Maybe he even decided to hook up with some people. While the original Grigor fancied himself a bit more of a warrior and less of a cleric, this incarnation is mostly cleric, so he concentrates on playing the lute more then swinging his sword in fancy ways.

Doesn't mean he's not going to try a fancy move every now and then though.

So any chance our three new people 'met in a tavern and decided to travel together'? :smalltongue:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-05-27, 10:43 AM
Terminus' hook makes sense to me. Should be an interesting meetup in the middle of the night.

For the others, maybe they arein Hommlet planning to go check out the temple for themselves, but not sure if they should go alone with word of the trolls in the woods. Then who should show up fresh from battle with the trolls but our very own Team Holy...

One or more of the new PC's could have been imprisoned by Utreshimon in the lower levels of the Moathouse. Or if that's too rescue-y, maybe they found a back way in and they're coming up the stairs as Tell and Megiddo go down the stairs in the morning.

Options, options. :)

AP

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-27, 11:06 AM
Oh and she is CG now not NG.
Oh, yeah. My bad. I was just copy and pasting from my earlier descriptions when you had her listed as NG.

As far as integration, anyone have any preferences which group you want to start out with? Terminus seems headed for the moathouse group.

Xaod and Lor could happen upon one or two members in combat with the hobgoblins. If the two go their separate ways and Lor returns to Hommlet, we probably don't need to mess with that kind of thing so much. She can just meet folks in Hommlet.

…Oh, I'm a bit overdue for an IC update.

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-27, 01:52 PM
Finally managed to get online again. My life is pretty much a mess right now, so I'm gonna have to drop out. Sorry, it was my best run at a PbP game, but I just can't get online reliably at all right now.

Xerah
2008-05-27, 02:17 PM
Can we have an updated list as to who is who and who is still in the game?

The Valiant Heroes

* Aratos Tell: Magnificent Druid Explorer
* Orthus the Mace: Cleric of Zagyg
* Kajiki: Kobold Trapsmith
* Megiddo: Mystic Cerebremancer
* Lor Stillford: Knight of Heironius and Defender of the Weak

I think from that list, Aratos and Lor are still in the game and the rest are being NPCized. Is that right, or did I miss someone?

Another_Poet
2008-05-27, 02:19 PM
Tell pushes the "emergency self-destruct" button on the grey elf and shoves him toward Chatrilon.

Frosty
2008-05-27, 05:52 PM
Ok, where is Lor right now? Are they headed towards a ghost town or headed towards civilzation to gather allies? I am confused. I would like to meet up with them.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-28, 10:41 AM
Finally managed to get online again. My life is pretty much a mess right now, so I'm gonna have to drop out. Sorry, it was my best run at a PbP game, but I just can't get online reliably at all right now.
Hm.

Interesting timing. Good thing I picked out three new players. :smallwink:

Good luck to you, Skja. Any last minute instructions on what to do with Megiddo?

Can we have an updated list as to who is who and who is still in the game?
Done.

Megiddo remains on the list out of convenience, as his character is still on the map.

I think from that list, Aratos and Lor are still in the game and the rest are being NPCized.
Well, of those that are gone, one's dead, another just sort of disappeared into the night, and I guess Megiddo is "NPCized" for the duration of the current encounter. Don't know what's gonna happen to him afterwards.

Ok, where is Lor right now? Are they headed towards a ghost town or headed towards civilzation to gather allies?
Lor and Xaod are just outside of Nulb, the ghost town.
http://s04.divshare.com/files/2008/05/28/4605085/templeRoadsLabeled.jpg

They want to head towards civilization. If they choose to avoid going through the forest again, they will have to pass by Nulb along the main road.

Of course, "Back to Civilization" is relative. The current plan involves Lor going back to Hommlet, and Xaod heading to Veluna (the opposite direction) to consult with his order. Xaod's not one to have confidence in his plans outside of battlefield tactics, though. So it wouldn't take a whole lot to change that plan.

Frosty
2008-05-28, 07:06 PM
I always thought the idea of flaws was great, based on my ShadowRun experience. Then I actually read the list of UA flaws while making a gnome paladin, and I ran away screaming. Not really. But you get the point: I didn't feel the flaws were worth taking, but I don't mind if others want to take them.

Flaws are supposed to hurt more than Feats. And trust me a creative DM will take advantage of Flaws. Pyro has the flaws Inattentive and Murky-Eyed. What this means is that my Valley-girl Gray Elf is not only spacey, but is also near-sighted (she hates Concealment and Cover), so she kind of misses everything that goes on.

On the other hand, she can tank for the group if need be. Against a single opponent, she can achieve 32 AC if need be fighting Defensively. AC 35 if using Total Defensive

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-29, 11:06 AM
What this means is that my Valley-girl Gray Elf is not only spacey, but is also near-sighted (she hates Concealment and Cover), so she kind of misses everything that goes on.
And I've been making plenty use of concealment in that thar Moathouse. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2008-05-29, 11:41 AM
Yep. that's why I like splash weapons and sacks of Flour. It's like non-magical Glitterdust. Now when can we jump in?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-29, 11:50 AM
Well, if Pyro's just a wanderer, I suppose she could show up any time.

I'd kinda like to be sure I know where everyone's going though.

Terminus is going to the moathouse, yes?

And Pyro is going to the Nulb area.

Do you have any preferences for Grigor, Lycar?

Xerah
2008-05-29, 12:11 PM
Yep, Moathouse. I was just waiting on word when to come in.

Frosty
2008-05-29, 12:39 PM
I am waiting for Lor's player to post at least once. It's been like 2 weeks since he/she posted.

Lycar
2008-05-29, 01:24 PM
Hm, no real preference here. but given the history of his suit of armour, it may be wise to not meet up with the priest of Heironeous first.

Although the questions arising should be fun to rp. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Frosty
2008-05-30, 01:37 AM
Pyro Aeliat the Fire-Knight has made her entrance! Let the jaw-dropping, the "wha...", the "huh!?!?!" and the laughter begin!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-30, 10:21 AM
Hm, no real preference here. but given the history of his suit of armour, it may be wise to not meet up with the priest of Heironeous first.
So thinking about going to the moathouse, then?

(Neither Xaod nor Lor are priests. They are a Paladin and Knight, respectively.)

Lycar
2008-05-30, 12:28 PM
As i said, no real preference. But o get things going, moathouse is fine.

If he is alone, then i say he heard rumors about trouble at the mill moathouse and decided to check it out.

Lycar

Frosty
2008-06-01, 12:43 PM
Our game is going pretty slowly. Should the other two join the battle at the moathouse?

Lycar
2008-06-01, 03:15 PM
Well? Maybe Grigor just happens to some along about now?

Just to get things going maybe?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-01, 08:55 PM
Narratively, I'm not sure how much sense it would make to introduce Grigor and Terminus right now. But from a practical matter, it's probably good to do so. This scene could take another week or two.

If you wanna, go for it. I'll PM you the password for the map.

Xerah
2008-06-02, 09:37 AM
My I'm doing something wrong, but I only see two characters in the popup menu. If I click anywhere it move Tell.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-02, 12:36 PM
If you figure Terminus has some reason to be sneaking into the moathouse just after midnight (maybe he saw Chatrilon before he went invisible and followed), just make a post, and I'll add him to the map.

Chatrilon is currently not on the map because it'll be too confusing to have an "invisible" image on the map. He'll be added back once he becomes visible again.

Once I manage to make the time, I'm going to add the ability to add figures to the webpage without having to manually change the map files—so you can do it yourself (especially useful if you summon creatures or objects) as well as a capability to add and change labels for the figures.

I'm kinda hoping I might be able to do that this coming weekend.

Lycar
2008-06-02, 01:43 PM
Okay Xerah. We need to decide how Grigor and your char arrive at the scene.

Maybe they met at a tavern on the way, exchanged stories and decided to travel together?

Lycar

Xerah
2008-06-02, 02:00 PM
Does your character have any kind of background? It's not posted on your character sheet.

I would much rather flesh out the meeting than just say they met at a bar.

Frosty
2008-06-02, 02:05 PM
If you figure Terminus has some reason to be sneaking into the moathouse just after midnight (maybe he saw Chatrilon before he went invisible and followed), just make a post, and I'll add him to the map.

Chatrilon is currently not on the map because it'll be too confusing to have an "invisible" image on the map. He'll be added back once he becomes visible again.

Once I manage to make the time, I'm going to add the ability to add figures to the webpage without having to manually change the map files—so you can do it yourself (especially useful if you summon creatures or objects) as well as a capability to add and change labels for the figures.

I'm kinda hoping I might be able to do that this coming weekend.

So like, what program are you using? Are you programming all of this yourself? I'd love to be able to use it for other games as well.

Xerah
2008-06-02, 04:36 PM
After reading the background, there isn't any real way to tie our two characters together so the bar thing would be the best idea.

Lycar
2008-06-02, 05:20 PM
After reading the background, there isn't any real way to tie our two characters together so the bar thing would be the best idea.

Well, then bar it is. :smallamused:

So whats your story then?

Lycar

Xerah
2008-06-02, 05:28 PM
Well, then bar it is. :smallamused:

So whats your story then?

Lycar

It's posted in the character sheet.

Frosty
2008-06-02, 06:00 PM
Actually, can I request that we (and by we I mean all players, including the ones already in the game) post our descs here? I kind of want to visualize what Tell and Lor look like.

Another_Poet
2008-06-03, 09:04 AM
first of all... the drinking comment... roflmao.

Second, here is a basic description of Tell:

He is black, with coal-coloured skin and thick dreadlocks. The dreadlocks are individually decorated with bone beads, but all of them are pulled back into a single thick pillar of hair.

He wears dragon-hide armour, which he calls his "war coat". A lightweight shield (buckler) is often strapped to one arm, and a masterfully crafted, wicked looking battle chain is typically wrapped around his neck and shoulders.

He wears a belt with a hatchet tucked into the back, buckskins and moccasins. Other than his weapons and a small pouch he doesn't carry much.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-03, 10:33 AM
So like, what program are you using? Are you programming all of this yourself? I'd love to be able to use it for other games as well.
I programmed it myself. It's like version 0.02. I'm hoping to develop it into a larger general use program that I can set up for other people to use à la 3e Profiler. But there's a lot to do before it's ready for even Beta general release.

Unfortunately, it's gonna be slow going to get to that part, though. I've got a trying number other drains on my time right now. And I'm still trying to figure out the priorities.

Frosty
2008-06-03, 11:50 AM
first of all... the drinking comment... roflmao.
ap

Heh, why do you find it so amusing? :smalltongue:

Come on, Entertainer. We need Lor to respond!! :smallredface:

Another_Poet
2008-06-03, 01:29 PM
Well, I don't know if you read the earlier parts of the IC thread, but Xaod has in fact been drinking, and there has been much to-do about his habit, and for a while I thought we were going to see it come to blows between him and some of the PC's. So you walking in and right away asking if he is drunk had me in stitches.

Frosty
2008-06-03, 03:02 PM
Well it's exactly the kind of question Pyro would ask. She only has a charisma of eight and average wisdom, so sometimes she's not the most perceptive in social situations. So, often-times, she calls 'em as she sees 'em, and she just saw Xaod mis-pronounce the name of a major LG deity. Hence, she ventured a guess. Glad you found it funny :smallsmile:

Speaking of which, is Xaod actually drunk?

Lycar
2008-06-03, 04:08 PM
Well, as for looks, i found a nice enough picture for Grigor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54723).

Just add a buckler to his left arm and there you are.

He was probably entertaining people with a few songs about heroic forays into places dank and dark and making the world a little bit safer, one ghoul or ghast or wight at the time...

Maybe Terminus saw this as fate's hint to link up with someone who doesn't mind going toe-to-toe with the evil nasties?

(Hmm, need to add spells... has to wait until weekend i'm afraid.)

Lycar

Xerah
2008-06-03, 04:53 PM
Maybe Terminus saw this as fate's hint to link up with someone who doesn't mind going toe-to-toe with the evil nasties?

I would say the best fit would but that it was Fate's choice for him to tell Terminus that he was on his way to Homlett [for whatever reason] and they left together.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-04, 10:38 AM
Speaking of which, is Xaod actually drunk?
He may be a champion drinker, but even Xaod can't manage getting drunk this early in the day.

Might be a tad hung over, though. He finished off his travelling cask to drown his feelings after Orthus died, and he originally brought enough to last him through the first few hobgoblin engagements. That bit about being out of drink is true.

The "mispronouncination" was just an amusing typo on my part, not an intentional mis-speaking for Xaod. But I wanna keep running with it. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2008-06-04, 12:56 PM
He may be a champion drinker, but even Xaod can't manage getting drunk this early in the day.

Might be a tad hung over, though. He finished off his travelling cask to drown his feelings after Orthus died, and he originally brought enough to last him through the first few hobgoblin engagements. That bit about being out of drink is true.

The "mispronouncination" was just an amusing typo on my part, not an intentional mis-speaking for Xaod. But I wanna keep running with it. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure Xaod found it so amusing though :smalltongue:
Lor, where are you? We neeeeeed you to respond! :smallwink:

Lycar
2008-06-04, 01:03 PM
All right then. Terminus and Grigor find themselves to be heading the same way and decide to travel together.

Grigor enjoys telling tales on the march.

I hope Terminus doesn't mind. Much. :smallamused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-04, 01:36 PM
Well, the map now has the ability to recognize labels. Just need to build in allowing people to place them and for the map to save them. :smalltongue:

Hm. Looks like we're gonna get to morning and have Grigor and Terminus's intro make more sense narratively anyway. (Don't have any time to update at the moment.)

We still have to figure out what will happen with Megiddo, too.

Frosty
2008-06-05, 11:34 AM
Shhalahr, should I respond to Xaod now or wait for Lor? Half the comedic value should come from Lor's reactions really.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-07, 03:46 PM
Combat Map v.0.051 up with figure Labeler up.

Next mod will be the more useful "Add/Delete Figure".

Then after that, it will be a bunch of back end stuff so the code at least resembles good coding practices. :smalltongue:

Lycar
2008-06-07, 08:23 PM
Uhm... are you sure the guys aren't expecting us at the drawbridge or something? Also, whats with the skull symbols on the map? Anthing that Terminus or Grigor should have spotted while coming in, if they are indeed at the far door?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-07, 09:36 PM
Alarm was at the inner door. They really wouldn't have been able to hear it at the drawbridge, and so it would have been useless except as a deterrent.

The skull symbols are the corpses of two of Utreshimon's (that is—the dragon's) victims from before Kajiki, Megiddo, and Tell arrived. I just drew 'em as part of the map since they wouldn't be moving around much. Though Tell, Megiddo, or Kajiki may hav moved them. I don't think they really specified if they did.

You can "refine" your starting position if you want. I'm just placing you where about I thought you'd be.

Xerah
2008-06-09, 07:34 PM
Hm, anyone have any ideas here?

Tell likely isn't going to trust anyone at this point...specifically two strangers who happened upon them.

Hmmm...