PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (OOC)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Another_Poet
2008-06-09, 10:03 PM
Out of character note:

Tell is pretty worried to be holed up with a fresh corpse he obviously killed. He might be an adventurer but still doesn't want to be tried as a murderer.

I'm trying to RP him well but I definitely want to join up with you two, so give him a reason to come out (or let you in) and buy his story and he will probably be alright with y'all.

Another_Poet
2008-06-13, 09:28 AM
Shhalahr, you really need to check out this thread on the wotc forums (even if you don't normally go there). http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=758266

Don't know if they're to your taste or if they could ever work with your mapping program but thought you could at least drool on them a little.

Note: I didn't go past the Moathouse one because I didn't want to spoil anything :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-13, 11:48 AM
They're awesome, but there have been enough changes to the maps that I don't think it will be particularly useful. The layout on the moathouse dungeons is pretty much the same, but a lot of those flavor details the guy included will be different. Would they be too distracting?

Another_Poet
2008-06-13, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't find them distracting at all, (we're pretty used to having to mentally "edit" the maps in my RL group) but I'm not about to clamour to use them if they wouldn't fit with what you're doing.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-14, 02:18 PM
I'm fairly tempted to use that map. Save me a lot of work. 'Specially since I think you guys want in the dungeon like now. :smalltongue:

I'd have to mask out a few things you shouldn't be able to see, though. Gonna have to see if I can do that without making the masking obvious.

I'll try and have an update of some sort ready tonight, anyway.

Another_Poet
2008-06-14, 02:36 PM
I've often just used Paint to draw black boxes over rooms that shouldn't be on maps. I'll put random boxes off the sides, between rooms, along walls etc so players never know if there's a real secret room or just trickery.

ap

Xerah
2008-06-16, 12:47 PM
I think I moved Tell by mistake, so I moved him back after my move.

Lycar
2008-06-17, 02:26 AM
Hrm... i kinda meant to move Grigor to the square NE of Trminus, but that didn't work somehow. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-17, 12:27 PM
Lycar: How does this problem manifest? Are you having trouble making Grigor move on the square you wanted or is he moving there but just not staying there after you save? It might be useful if you can tell me what browser and OS you are using.

Also, just to be clear, the door Gnoll #2 was dropped at is now open. (I'm stating that here rather than the IC thread because the forum is sluggish and I don't want to wait for the "Edit Post" window to load.)

Lycar
2008-06-17, 02:31 PM
Lycar: How does this problem manifest? Are you having trouble making Grigor move on the square you wanted or is he moving there but just not staying there after you save? It might be useful if you can tell me what browser and OS you are using.

Opera 9.50 . I entered the password and could move Grigor's marker to it's current position. That was 1 move action. I wasn't sure if i should leave it at that and use bardic music but decided to use the rest of Grigor's turn to move in front of Terminus to shield him from the gnoll.

I was kinda figuring we should be able to deal with two dogfaces without special encouragement.

However, despite several attempts at entering the password and reloading the page the marker won't budge anymore. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-18, 11:43 AM
Hm. I use Opera as well. Should make this a bit easier.

So the figure moves on the map, but it doesn't save the new position?

Hm... When you "reload the page," are you going to a the page I linked to? If you're looking at an older map, the password box and submit button shouldn't even be available, but if your browser is pulling it out from the cache, I suppose it could appear anyway. The error might occur if you're trying to save from an older map.

Hm… That's a bug I haven't thought of before now, so there's no protection against that sort of thing. I'll add it to my to-do list.

[hr]
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually getting annoyed that the comic is updating so frequently this past week. Too much congestion to keep up the PbP. :smallyuk:

Frosty
2008-06-18, 08:37 PM
Darn it. Where is Lor?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-06-23, 11:25 AM
I have just been selected to serve on a jury for a two-day trial. My ability to post will therefore be impacted tomorrow and Wednesday.

Xerah
2008-06-27, 01:26 PM
Hey all, I'm off on vacation until the middle of July. Feel free to move for me.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-02, 11:49 AM
Due to a few complications to my work schedule, I will have to put this game on a temporary hold starting next Monday. I will be unable to post at all during this hold. I should be able to resume the game after about two to three weeks.

If you should need to get a hold of me during this period, you may direct any questions or concerns through Entertainer13, who knows how to contact me in real life. He will then be able to respond with my answer.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-02, 01:58 PM
Hey guys. There is a possibility that I may be able to be online more reliably in the near future. I noticed that Megiddo hasn't been written out of the party yet, so if you don't mind, I'd like to try and get back into this game again.

I will definitely know for sure by the time this game starts up again, since it is apparently on hold for a few weeks at the moment.

Another_Poet
2008-07-02, 02:40 PM
Hey Skjald!

I for one would love to have you back. We just enetere combat with ghouls and Meg hasn't gone yet so I bet you could hop right in (if Shhalahr says it's okay of course).

Shhalahr - No problem about the hold. I just would like to know though if this is the kind of thing where you really will be back in 3 weeks and continue playing? Like is that for sure? I have had DM's and players alike say this kind of stuff and never return... maybe I just smell funny? :smallamused:

So anyway I was just wondering if you are sure or iffy that the game will continue.

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-02, 03:26 PM
I could, but the current assessment is pretty accurate. Megiddo's not going to want to spend resources on a fleeing ghoul. A sword in the hands of an elven wizard tends to be as useful as it is in the hands of an officer in modern warfare: good for making dramatic gestures, and that's about it.

Lycar
2008-07-02, 05:59 PM
Hmm.. since you didn't roll for Grigor's initative, does that mean that he doesn't get to act in the surprise round then?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-03, 10:00 AM
The schedule complications that caused the need for a hold have dissolved. The hold is no longer a problem.

Good for the game.

Bad for my career.

[hr]

Oh, and welcome back, Skja. No offense intended with the belated welcome. I really meant the "Bad for my career" part, so I'm just too pissed off to be thinking straight.

Feel free to take over, and I'll try to say "welcome back" like I mean it once I work some of this steam off.

Another_Poet
2008-07-03, 11:43 AM
Good for the game.

Bad for my career.

Oh, Shhalahr, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Last fall I was accepted for a huge promotion. Then all of a sudden after offering me the position they decided I didnt have the level of experience they wanted and reversed themselves. :smallmad: (I had already gone out for a celebration dinner with my wife, too. :smallfrown: ) So needless to say I feel your pain.

But life goes on... and you can always kill some orcs to help vent.

ap

Lycar
2008-07-04, 01:53 PM
Aw man, that is harsh. :smallmad:

Oh well, what can one do about it.

Hope that there will be other chances to take advantage of. :smallcool:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-07-05, 08:29 PM
You are going to tell me when it is time for Grigor to roll init and join his comades in battle, yes?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-06, 08:47 PM
Megiddo: Initiative (1d20+3=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1647222/)
Ghoul Leader: 11
Tell: Initiative (1d20+3=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1647037/)
Terminus:
Initiative (1d20+2=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1647035/)
Grigor: Initiative (1d20=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1647242/)
Dude, Grigor needs to work on his reflexes! The fight's always over by the time he shows up! :-(
You can, of course, let me know what you'll want to do on your initiative, should you have some idea before hand. You know, like "If the baddie is still up, attack, otherwise cast a healing spell." That kind of thing.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-07, 09:36 AM
Tough break man, sorry to hear that. Um, I'll try to keep active, but I may not be fully able to for awhile, since I won't have a computer at home for about a month/month-and-a-half. Assuming my interview goes well Wednsday. If it doesn't then a computer is pretty much out of the question, and I will be falling off the face of the earth (by which I mean, working at Amazon).

I still have the interwebs at work though, so we'll see how it goes.

Frosty
2008-07-07, 10:03 AM
The schedule complications that caused the need for a hold have dissolved. The hold is no longer a problem.

Good for the game.

Bad for my career.

<hr>

Oh, and welcome back, Skja. No offense intended with the belated welcome. I really meant the "Bad for my career" part, so I'm just too pissed off to be thinking straight.

Feel free to take over, and I'll try to say "welcome back" like I mean it once I work some of this steam off.

Oh hell. I hope your employment situation gets better soon! well this means I can start checking the IC thread again.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-07, 12:18 PM
Ah, man. I can't beleive I missed killing Chatrilon. :smallfrown:

OK- back to catching up on the IC thread

By my count, I'm down a Detect Magic, a Light, and a Read Magic, and a scroll of See Invisibility. Based on my previously declared actions, I should have cast a Mending as well (my clothes took quite a beating from tanking that dragon for y'all).

I think I had declared what spells I was prepping for the day in the OOC thread, so I'll look for that and use those, otherwise I'll assume the same spells normally prepped.

I chucked two energy bolts, how many PP am I down?

OK, so my previously stated intentions were as follows:

No problem. Was planning on switching in some Protection from X spells today. Will try and get that figured out during my shift today, if I have any desk time. Lots of shelving to do though, it being the end of the semester.

So I'll go ahead and work my spell list accordingly.

OK, this is awesome: Check out Visual Display for Psionic Powers:

The manifesterís eyes burn like points of silver fire while the power remains in effect.

I can totally have glowing fiery eyes from my Inertial Armor. :smallcool:

hey Guys! I found my old character image!

http://www.caterane.de/CoCo/Charaktere/Uhmentarymster/Uhmentarymster.jpg

Another_Poet
2008-07-08, 09:36 AM
Nice picture. I forgot about that.

BTW, I also have a note on my char sheet: "Megiddo has magic mace & magic rapier for resale." Both came off of Chatrilon; the rapier is his and the mace he found on one of the corpses by the dragon. I think I gave them to you because I'm carrying two bucklers. We haven't identified them yet, just know that they are magic.

I'll remove the note from my char sheet now.

Also, I haven't admitted to our new companions what happened with Chatrilon. He was wearing the holy symbol he got off one of the corpses, so it looks like he was with them (although a much fresher kill). When the new guys showed up I told them he attacked us in the night, probably because he thought we had killed his buddies - but they could see for themselves the acid from the dragon on the corpses. A decent alibi, and a bit less suspicious than "We offered this guy a full stake to help kill the dragon, then when it was dead we offed him. But it was self defence!"

ap

Edited: Hey Shhalahr, I was wondering if you'd be willing to PM me the stats on that giant frog outside. I'm running another game that has giant frogs as a kind of normal species along a major river, so I'm hoping I can adapt the one from RttToEE. Obviously if you think there's a good chance we'll still have to deal with that one and don't want me to see the stats, I understand. Otherwise if you can PM it to me I'd appreciate it!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-08, 09:53 AM
By my count, I'm down a Detect Magic, a Light, and a Read Magic, and a scroll of See Invisibility. Based on my previously declared actions, I should have cast a Mending as well (my clothes took quite a beating from tanking that dragon for y'all).

I think I had declared what spells I was prepping for the day in the OOC thread, so I'll look for that and use those, otherwise I'll assume the same spells normally prepped.
Oh, I forgot you had declared those. I made up my own list. I had been using the following:

0—detect magic (x2), read magic, light
1—magic missile (x2), burning hands, detect evil, feather fall
2—scorching ray (x2), see invisibility
Feel free to change your uncast spells as you wish, now that you're playing him again.

I chucked two energy bolts, how many PP am I down?
I have you down to 25 pp remaining.

hey Guys! I found my old character image!
Awesome! I'll try and update your map representation as soon as possible.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-08, 09:55 AM
ps- I am totally convinced OOC that Megiddo just said that he [Chatrilon] was trying to run. And that he in fact iced him for personal reasons, in spite of Chatrilon's genuine intention to surrender. But we'll never know, since he was the only one that could see him at the time.

:smallbiggrin:

Actually, he has a wand of detect magic, so I'd assumed he was using that.

Another_Poet
2008-07-08, 10:49 AM
Running or not running, I told him to put down his weapon and he didn't. That's a fool move and he got what he signed up for.

ap

Lycar
2008-07-08, 04:28 PM
Uhm what? Where did the ghouls go? Last thing i know is that Grigor is moving up behind Terminus to attack the ghoul at his side and now we just offed the ghoul leader?

Did i miss something? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-08, 07:56 PM
It got deaded. Again.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-09, 09:24 AM
Terminus got some badass turn undead rolls, and two of them had less than 3 HD, so they dissolved… or something like that.

Lycar
2008-07-09, 02:52 PM
... whatever works i guess...

Bonus points to those who know what game 'After an invigorating scuffle...' comes from. :smallcool:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-07-19, 04:50 PM
Yay, forums are back on! :smallsmile:

I should mention that i'll be on vacation from tuesday till tuesday the following week. I hope this doesn't pose too much of a problem.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-20, 04:28 PM
Yay! We're back!

Guess we wound up with a hiatus anyway. :smalltongue:

Xerah
2008-07-21, 12:50 PM
Myself, and the forums, are back.

I'm going to try to catch up on everything.

Moathouse: Planting 7, Morning

(( Since it's pretty vital, I'm assuming the lack of Holy Symbol on Terminus's character sheet is just an oversight. Remind me to ask about it when Xerah return. ))

'Twas an oversight.

Terminus' holy symbol is the greyish coin (is that possible?) he carries with him. It has this symbol on both sides:

http://www.radioliberty.com/Symbols%20and%20their%20meaning_files/world-triad.jpg

Another_Poet
2008-07-21, 01:21 PM
Terminus' holy symbol is the greyish coin (is that possible?) he carries with him. It has this symbol on both sides:

http://www.radioliberty.com/Symbols%20and%20their%20meaning_files/world-triad.jpg

Extreme Celtic Terminus!!!

Or Hindu...

Or Buddhist...

Or almost any culture that enjoys geometry...

But I choose to believe he is carrying around a nice Celtic triskele :)

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-21, 02:57 PM
Myself, and the forums, are back.
All right! How was the vacation?

Terminus' holy symbol is the greyish coin (is that possible?)
Naturally. You're playing a priest of a philosophy, so your symbol can be whatever Terminus would see as best representing that philosophy.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-22, 11:09 AM
Rolls for my intended action after I am done delaying:

to-hit: [roll0]

confirm: [roll1]
extra damage: [roll2]

damage: [roll3]

Well, an 11 is good enough to hit its square, so even if 11 doesn't touch it, I've still marked the likely cleric.

Xerah
2008-07-23, 11:04 AM
All right! How was the vacation?

It was good, a trip through the Canadian rockies.

Naturally. You're playing a priest of a philosophy, so your symbol can be whatever Terminus would see as best representing that philosophy.

I just wanted to make sure about that. For some reason I was thinking that a holy symbol need to weigh a certain amount.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-23, 11:21 AM
*sigh* I really hate to burst everybody's bubble, but we can't ready actions outside of combat. If the things on the other side of the door are unaware of us, we get a surprise round when the door opens. Surprise rounds are standard actions only, readied actions are standard actions only. This is not a coincidence.

Declaring what we plan to do when the door opens is good, but don't expect to pre-empt initiative with a readied action.

Xerah
2008-07-23, 11:43 AM
Dude, calm down. We're not here to try and cheat. Some of use aren't really experts on the combat mechanics of D&D.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-23, 12:11 PM
Dude, calm down. We're not here to try and cheat. Some of use aren't really experts on the combat mechanics of D&D.
I don't think he's being un-calm.

He's really just saying what I was thinking when I said "Go ahead and roll initiative."

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-27, 03:50 PM
Don't hesitate to poke me with a sharp stick if you ever feel I'm taking too much artistic liscence with the displays for my psionic powers.

Also, now that my light spell has circled the room, is there anything that was previously hidden by darkness that we can now see? Other than the obvious giant skeleton, of course?

Lycar
2008-07-29, 04:07 PM
Yay, i'm back from my vacation. Slightly sunburnt but heh, better then having rainy weather all the time.

Soo... surrounded by skellies and dogfaces, eh? Right in the middle of it, just as Grigor likes it.

So i'll just declare next 2-handed attack on skeleton #3. If Grigor manages to down it, he'll step into the space to face the evil cleric.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-29, 08:16 PM
I expected that to be more difficult. Oh well.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-30, 10:10 AM
Nothing had over 33 hp, and everything failed its reflex save.

Nice roll, by the way. Averaged out a whole extra point per die beyond the expected value.

Another_Poet
2008-07-31, 10:25 AM
Maybe I mentioned this but I will be gone starting this afternoon, returning Monday.

Shhalahr, Tell will quietly tag along and use his chain on any enemies.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-01, 08:07 AM
Okay. Thanks for letting me know!

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-01, 08:56 AM
As you may have noticed already, my internet access will be unreliable over the next week or so, as I am moving (maybe, probably). I'm spending the next week or two in Louisville to feel out the job market, and will be relying on my friend's computer to get online, so I don't know how reliable that will be.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-01, 09:11 AM
Okay. Good to know.

So how should we handle Megiddo?

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-01, 10:08 AM
Use spells conservatively, power points liberally. Put up vigor whenever it looks like a hard fight, and try to always keep 6 power points in reserve.

Reckless with vigor up, cautious when vigor is down.

Lycar
2008-08-03, 01:51 PM
So the gnoll doesn't surrender then?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-03, 01:58 PM
Also, is the cleric dead, or did I stabilize it (I made the check, if it was alive and bleeding out)?

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-03, 02:19 PM
Um, I passsed my heal check for First Aid, so unless someone is actively attacking the cleric, why are we in rounds?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-03, 04:47 PM
Uh, we're still in the round that the cleric originally fell. And until we get to the successful check, the cleric's still dying. And since Megiddo's first check actually failed, that might be important.

Lycar
2008-08-05, 01:59 PM
Grigor has the Touch of Healing feat, so he can heal people up to 1/2 full health without expending a spell.

Just so that Tell doesn't have to use up a spell. :smallamused:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-05, 05:06 PM
That's a pretty cool feat. What's it from?

Also, it looks like I can get online pretty consistently, even though I'm using my host's computer to do so.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-05, 05:42 PM
Complete Champion. It's a reserve feat that requires a 2nd-level or higher Conjuration (healing) spell to work. Heals only 3 hp per level of the highest available healing spell, and cannot be used to heal people with more than half their hp.

Pretty useful in adding a little bit of endurance as long as you aren't backed into casting the last spell that can power it and don't use that endurance to pick a fight with too big a foe.

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-05, 06:57 PM
Cool. Does that mean a cleric has to prepare healing spells, or does a cleric's spontaneous healing count for that?

Also, an update- it looks like i'm going to be starting up at an actual real job soon. which is exciting for me, and will mean a new computer in the next 5-6 weeks.

Lycar
2008-08-05, 08:37 PM
Nope. Means Grigor needs to keep his non-domain lv. 3 spell slot filled with a CSW, that is, keep it 'in reserve'. :smalltongue:

Actually it is enough to keep a CMW prepared. But Grigor is no caster cleric. He's really just a fighter type who found faith when he prayed in a really, really ugly situation and Olidamarra heard his pleas.

So he's really more into using his beloved bastard sword to kill stuff and occassionally asks for a little help from his patron deity.

Maybe you get to ask him about his story when the party makes camp. :smallwink:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-08-06, 05:58 PM
Well, Grigor said his part in #683, now should he he heal her up or do we search and tie her up first?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-08-06, 11:21 PM
Well, Grigor said his part in #683, now should he he heal her up or do we search and tie her up first?

Lycar

Any and all precautions first. I'd recommend:

tying her up
having weapons pointed at her
removing her unholy symbol & weapons
coming up with a game plan

...and then reviving her. For the record, Tell doesn't mind threats of torture, just actual torture.

Lycar
2008-08-11, 02:40 AM
Well? Did anyone bring rope?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-11, 10:44 PM
Spellcraft:
[roll0]

Lycar
2008-08-14, 01:58 PM
If nobody brought rope, maybe we could rip or cut her robe into ribbons and cobble together a makeshift binding?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-15, 07:10 PM
She is unarmed, with no active spells, magic items, spell components, or holy symbols. She is unconscious and surrounded by a large number of adventurers. She went down from one hit from one of us (effectively).

Why are you worried?

Lycar
2008-08-16, 02:29 AM
Because not worrying makes evil DM's smile? :smallamused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-16, 06:41 AM
Hell, worrying makes Evil DMs smile, too! 'Specially if you're worrying about the wrong things! :smallamused:

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-16, 06:49 PM
Thats all well and good, in tabletop. In PbP, it brings games to a crawl.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-18, 10:39 PM
Grigor rolls his eyes at the woman "Oh be quiet you old hag!"

"I'm not old! I'm thirty-seven!"
</Dennis>

Lycar
2008-08-22, 01:45 AM
Whoops, meant to roll reflex here but...

Attack: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-22, 05:11 AM
Sorry guys. The computers at work can't load giantitp.com for some reason, and I pretty much crash when I get home (I'm not used to 1st shift). Training ends in 2 weeks, at which time I'll switch to my actual work schedule, and be able to post more often.

Frosty
2008-08-22, 05:19 PM
Sorry for the delay guys. I've been busy lately and I will post a bit later today.

Frosty
2008-08-22, 08:22 PM
Hey, the SRD page that talks about the effects of Terrain...that one CRASHES my internet explorer. So I'm not going to try to read it anymore.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-23, 07:33 AM
Okay, try these:

Trees and Undergrowth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#forestTerrain)

Slopes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#hillsTerrain)

And I suggest using Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com) or Opera (http://www.opera.com) instead. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-28, 12:50 PM
Sorry guys. The computers at work can't load giantitp.com for some reason, and I pretty much crash when I get home (I'm not used to 1st shift). Training ends in 2 weeks, at which time I'll switch to my actual work schedule, and be able to post more often.
Okay, right now I'm assuming Megiddo is doing his usual "save spells and power points for the fights that really matter" thing and letting Tell and Grigor take care of the crazy lady.

Another_Poet
2008-08-28, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the flat-footed. Basically I used a bluff check to feint her, but I don't have the feat (or cha) to do that well.

If she wasn't flatfooted she'd get an AoO against me as I don't have Improved Unarmed.

Although... I guess she wouldn't anyway since I doubt she has Impr Unarmd either.

So I guess it realy was moot.

So in other words... THANKS FOR NOTHING! :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-30, 10:01 AM
Use spells conservatively, power points liberally. Put up vigor whenever it looks like a hard fight, and try to always keep 6 power points in reserve.

Reckless with vigor up, cautious when vigor is down.

I'll try and post something now, before I need to head out.

Lycar
2008-08-31, 08:42 AM
Note that Grigor is just going to inflict lethal damage to her self-esteem and pride, not her body. Of course he has to be mindfull of his armour spikes.

Lycar

Entertainer13
2008-08-31, 01:26 PM
1. I apologize for being an insufferable twit who won't check as often as he should.

2. The following is genius:

Grigor Human cleric

With some help from Tell, Grigor manages to wrestle the woman down.

True to his intentions, he starts to give the evil cleric a piece of his mind, one slap at the buttocks a time.

"And that *slap* is for *slap* being an *slap* unbearable *slap* bitch. *slap*. And guess what? *slap* I can do this *slap* all. *slap* Day. *slap* Long. *slap*."

Grigor stops for a moment while still making sure she does not escape his grasp.

"So, you still think we're going weak on ya? Huh? Do you?"

Lycar

Lycar
2008-09-01, 01:37 PM
Hrm. That fire damage starts to add up. :smallconfused:

So, any ideas what to do about the evil cleric?

Lycar

Frosty
2008-09-02, 11:32 AM
Fwee...finally the game picks up a bit. Pyro's first shot GUTS the opposition!

Xerah
2008-09-04, 05:11 PM
Guys, I'm really sorry about my lack of posting.

I think I'm just going to pull out as the game hasn't caught my interest. I like all you players and Shhalahr is great, but I just can't place what's holding me back.

It's probably better that I just bow out now. I'm really, really sorry about this lameness.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-05, 07:46 AM
I think I'm just going to pull out as the game hasn't caught my interest.
Well, that's sad.

I like all you players and Shhalahr is great, but I just can't place what's holding me back.
If you ever figure it out, feel free to come back and let me know. I'll make any necessary adjustments.

Until then, any suggestions for how Terminus should bow out for now?

Lycar
2008-09-08, 03:24 PM
Uhm.. about the torture bit.. it's more likely that Grigor will 'acciently' impale her on one of the armour spikes or something. Rather put her out of her misery then allow her to be tortured...

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-09-08, 03:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, I feel a little queasy about describing my character do this. But I don't really know if I'd call it "torture". I mean, we're disabling the lethal weapons she keeps using against us. And doing it in the quickest way possible.

I'd think that most people would rather live with no fingers than die.

But I sure won't argue if she gets "accidentally" put out of her misery instead.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-08, 08:36 PM
Hm, right now I don't want to feel like I'm unduly influencing the characters, so I think I'll hold my opinion for now.

But you might want to make sure you aren't overlooking any alternatives. And feel free to improvise. And be sure to mind your surroundings.

Lycar
2008-09-14, 08:01 PM
Okay, now what do we do about the cleric? off her or improvise a gag and bind her? With her own clothes if need be?

Come on guys, our GM is giving us hints here... :smalleek:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-09-16, 02:24 AM
I do not currently have internet access. I expect to by the end of September.

Another_Poet
2008-09-19, 09:42 AM
GENERIC ABSENCE WARNING:

I am leaving for vacation today (Fri 9/9) in the late afternoon/early evening and will be gone for over a week. I may get online once or twice but can't promise to post before Sun 9/28 or maybe even Mon 9/29.

If I'm your DM: Please feel free to keep posting and continue on. If something requires GM decision you might try PMing me, as I'll check those first when I hop online here and there. I will be back and the campaign will continue, so try not to forget about us.

If I'm a player in your campaign: Feel free to NPC me or force me to act. No, really, it's okay. I don't mind and I think it's way better than delaying everyone. You all have a good sense of my characters by now and I trust you won't have them do something outlandish or obviously suicidal. If you kill them I won't be angry.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-19, 01:17 PM
Lycar, mind if we just call it a general break on your side, since your the only one that's gonna be able to post for the next couple of weeks?

Lycar
2008-09-19, 06:33 PM
Okay. So long as the game is just paused, not postponed indefinitly. :smallamused:

Besides i'll go on vacation myself at the end of october. But then i ought to have some internet access there, so i should be able to still participate.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-19, 10:27 PM
Okay. So long as the game is just paused, not postponed indefinitly. :smallamused:
Well, that's up to Skja and Poet. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2008-09-20, 01:25 PM
Well, speaking for myself, I should be up and going in a few days here. I am currently working on fixing my roommates desktop PC, and should be good to go in a couple days (just need to buy a mouse, navigating everything via keyboard makes troubleshooting a pain)

From hat I know of Poet, you can definetly trust he will be back when he says he will be. He is really into PbP, and has even been working on a system specifically designed to run smoothly PbP.

Frosty
2008-09-21, 12:55 AM
Windrider: The Map #16 you posted doesn't work. I can't post my next action without it. And whose turn is it? Can we repost initiative order and point to who is next?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-09-21, 07:53 AM
That's because Lor updated the map, even though it's currently your turn*. If you see the "Next Map >>" link, the map you're on won't work. For obvious reasons, you can only update from the current map. You can either follow the "Next Map >>" links or just go to the map page with the "?mapNum=X" part off of the URL to find the current, updatable map.

I keep a current initiative tally in the spoiler box of the first post in the IC thread. It's easy to find there—just hit the "<< First" link in the thread. I repost the initiative in the regular stream of events when initiative changes due to Readied or Delayed actions or new combatants. If it'll help, I can make an effort to repost the initiative, even if it hasn't changed, whenever we reach a new page.

Anyway, here's what we've got:
Forest Initiative
Dogs (19)
Lor (Initiative (1d20=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1710883/))
Xaod (13)
Pyro (12)
Hobgoblins (8)

[hr]* But that's okay for now. It shows me where she wants to be and I reposition her if necessary based on intervening events.

Frosty
2008-09-22, 09:32 PM
Combat over! Time to tie up the hobgobby and then loot them all! :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2008-09-29, 04:24 PM
I am returned!

From hat I know of Poet, you can definetly trust he will be back when he says he will be.

I take that as a high compliment indeed!

He is really into PbP, and has even been working on a system specifically designed to run smoothly PbP.

Yes indeed, and here it is if anyone wants to contribute or just see what we have so far:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82488

Frosty
2008-09-29, 07:18 PM
Hey, where is everyone? My thread hasn't had anything since like 4, 5 days ago. Is Entertainer13 even here still?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-01, 07:49 AM
I am returned!
Yay!

I suppose now that we have a good 2/3 presence, we can probably start up the moathouse again. Skja should be back soon anyway.

Another_Poet
2008-10-01, 08:28 AM
Works for me!

Lycar
2008-10-02, 01:59 PM
Very well. Let's resume pillaging. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-04, 01:37 AM
Woohoo! I can post at work now!

I don't usually do that, but I felt the emphasis was appropriate in this case. I've been trying to access giantitp from my work computer for weeks now, and it has always timed out, until today. So I got to catch up on the comic, and start posting in my PbP games as well.

Woohoo!

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-05, 05:31 PM
I actually can't get to d20srd.org from work. this may present a problem, as I don't own a hardcopy of the e. psionics handbook. Does anyone know of another website that might have that info?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-05, 05:44 PM
I often use the Sovelior Sage hypertext SRD at http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-05, 06:02 PM
Can't get to that one either. I guess I'll just have to steal my roommate's computer when I get home, and paste in all the stuff I need to my character sheet (which I can get to, thankfully).

Lycar
2008-10-07, 02:38 PM
Okay, Grigor plans to search the area the cleric was in thoroughly (figuring, if there is a secret stash anywhere, it ought to be near where she can get at it in an emergency). Then search the level, hugging the north wall to begin with.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-08, 01:49 PM
My intentions are outlined in the IC thread. Just wanted to do a quick time check so I can update my active effects in my signature. I'm guessing the 6 minutes for Vigor has passed. My light spell has 60 minutes, and my inertial armor has 6 hours.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-08, 07:22 PM
You've been in the dungeon about twenty minutes now. So vigor is down, but the others are still up.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-13, 06:38 PM
Megiddo
HP:23/23, PP: 2/31 AC: 19, Flat-Footed: 16, Touch: 13: Inertial Armor, Light

I'm just wondering if putting this in my sig is actually useful at all to anyone besides myself?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-13, 08:14 PM
Huh? I'm not forgetting Megiddo's light. Grigor's just the one that stepped forward first, getting light up and over the crate.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-10-22, 08:51 AM
According to Monte Cook "Spugnoir" is pronounced "Spoon-wahr".

Lycar
2008-10-22, 02:01 PM
Oh right, before I forget to mention it: I will be on vacation for 2 weeks starting saturday. But I should still be able to post semi-regularly during that time.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-10-22, 02:07 PM
According to Monte Cook "Spugnoir" is pronounced "Spoon-wahr".

Sounds right to me. Although I'd put the emphasis on the second syllable.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-30, 01:50 PM
I love trying to guess the effect of magic items based on their aura. I could probably make a pretty good stab at the cloak pin if I had my books with me.

Another_Poet
2008-10-30, 01:57 PM
I think he's got an item that masks his alignment and gives him the good aura. This guy is a yellow cloak.

Skjaldbakka
2008-10-30, 01:59 PM
That is theoretically possible, but I can only think of items that stop you from detecting alignments, not items that emit a specific alignment. So he would be detecting a nuetral if he had an undetectable alignment.

Also, no illusion auras on the magic items.

Since Megiddo is the academic type, not the "I have sense motive" type, thats what he is going to go by.

Another_Poet
2008-10-30, 02:05 PM
Yeah, at this point Tell is satisfied. I, AP, on the other hand suspect trickery. (Mostly just out of gamer paranoia though. I bet we're amusing Shhalahr to no end.)

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-03, 09:01 PM
I just noticed that we have actual character images for most of the party on the map. Cool.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-04, 09:07 AM
I just noticed that we have actual character images for most of the party on the map. Cool.
Yeah, I was updating the map with Spugnoir when I suddenly remembered that you had a Megiddo image that I hadn't added to the map yet.

Sorry it took so long.

Kinda funky having an OotS-style token there, too. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-05, 02:17 PM
Also: Nice Avatar Shhalahr :smalleek:

Thanks. I've just been hanging out near Silvanos a bit much. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-07, 08:40 AM
So, uh, what's going on? Is there some info you're all waiting for that I forgot to give?

I guess I forgot to mention that Tell still didn't catch anything interesting. Just damp corridors.

Lycar
2008-11-08, 07:29 PM
Let's keep going south then, hugging the wall.

Lycar

Frosty
2008-11-10, 02:02 AM
Entertainer13, you got any ideas on how to proceed?

Entertainer13
2008-11-12, 11:51 AM
I really don't know... the best we can do is maybe try and clear out what we can of them? I'm more of an "in the field" planner.

How long does the charm last?

Frosty
2008-11-12, 10:43 PM
What do you mean clear out what we can of them? You mean kill them? Charm will last...6 hours.

Entertainer13
2008-11-13, 08:57 PM
What do you mean clear out what we can of them? You mean kill them? Charm will last...6 hours.Clear out in whatever manner possible. Killing is last resort, but using a charmed leader would have been nice... I'm really at a loss. :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-14, 09:40 AM
One other thing to think about is that Xaod is interested in something specific rather than just vague "ancient dangers" or anything like that that may or may not be within the temple.

Lycar
2008-11-14, 01:45 PM
Say Shhalahr, I suppose that the gnoll will get an AoO on Grigor if he decides to move? Because according to your post, Grigor has initiative over the gnoll and could theoretically step, attack or cast before the gnoll?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-14, 04:33 PM
Well he used his surprise round to make the initial threat, and we're entering the second regular round, so he's certainly not flat-footed anymore. You can of course avoid any AoOs with Ye Olde Five-Foote Step, but don't be surprised if he's got a readied action of some sort up his sleeve.

Lycar
2008-11-15, 10:53 PM
Hrmph, readied actions have the disadvantage that they need to be pretty strictly formulated.

Since Grigor has initiative: What if HE readies an action to, say make a 2-handed Disarm attack on the gnoll? :smallconfused:

Gah, I keep forgetting that THIS version of Grigor doesn't have Impr. Disarm. :smallyuk:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-16, 12:04 AM
Since Grigor has initiative: What if HE readies an action to, say make a 2-handed Disarm attack on the gnoll? :smallconfused:
Then Grigor will be waiting, and the gnoll will be waiting, and if no one triggers any readied action the gnoll may or may not have, the gnoll will get his turn on schedule and can either take a new action or re-ready the old one (if he has it).

Lycar
2008-11-16, 04:51 AM
Okay guys, you heard the man, start stabbing some dog-face already. :smallamused:

Lycar

Lycar
2008-11-18, 02:45 AM
Good thing Grigor starts the stabbing with a critical hit. :smallbiggrin:

Crit confirm: [roll0], crit damage: [roll1]

Edit: :smallfrown:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-18, 06:27 PM
Clearly, the extra damage the first time was from sneak attack, and the second time from entering a rage. :smallwink:

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-18, 10:27 PM
well, this could hurt.... hehe...

Another_Poet
2008-11-19, 09:52 AM
Any particular reason why Meg would try to pick up the weapon?

Had you left it, the gnoll would've provoked an AoO to pick it up....

Lycar
2008-11-19, 02:14 PM
(( Wow, I didn't realize that would drop Grigor. Of course, his current hp isn't listed on the online sheet… :smalltongue:

Yeah well, the burns from the bwitch didn't put him below half, so he couldn't use Touch of Healing just yet.

And I figured that the 13 points of damage were on the higher end of what the gnoll could deal, a readied sneak attack. :smalleek:

So then... does anyone elso do any healing on the side? You know, like after defeating the gnoll? :smallfrown:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-11-19, 02:33 PM
Well, you're stable now, so we can sit and wait for you to wake up as long as we take care of you. Then you can do your healing thing.

Tell is now out of cure spells for the day.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-19, 03:43 PM
let us compare:

gnoll picks up weapon and makes an attack

gnoll attempts a disarm, succeeds, and is now done taking actions.

Entertainer13
2008-11-20, 10:52 AM
Does Pyro have access to anything to mimic invisibility? I know she can "copy" skills, but I'm just wondering... :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-20, 03:39 PM
I thought an unconscious body was treated as an object. Objects don't provoke AoO. It really doesn't make any sense to me for an unconscious person to provoke an AoO form being moved. How is being moved more of an opening than lying there not doing anything to defend yourself?

Another_Poet
2008-11-20, 03:41 PM
I agree with you Skjald, but was unclear on the official rules and Shhalahr's take on it.

Shhalahr?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-21, 09:29 AM
Well, a dead body is an object. An unconcious body is still a creature. This is important, as there are a number of spells that don't affect objects that you could gain immunity to simply by knocking yourself out.

That said, the comparison an unconcious creature to an object for the purposes of practical application of other rules is one of the things I considered. Closest comparison I could come up with for this scenario is fighing a character in a chariot or wagon. I could not see any reason to deny the use of attacking a vehicle with an AoO as it passed by. Especially if the driver was protected in some way.

The more general concept I kept in mind were other situations where a character is moving under another creature's power. If a mounted knight passes you by, you can take your AoO on either the knight or the mount, even though the mount is doing all the work. Likewise, there the bull rush example I mentioned in the IC thread, which is explicitly spelled out in the rules.

I think we can apply the bull rush example to another situation, too. A victim of hold person is no more physically active than an unconcious body. But if that victim is further bull rushed, the AoO applies to them, even though it's not really any more an opening than the held person just standing there.

Honestly, all the above is built around keeping the rules consistent rather than making in-character sense. The best IC explanation I can give for the AoO applying to moving bodies, but not still ones is that in the heat of battle, when something stops moving, a combatant stops paying enough attention to it to act opportunistically, as they have more important things to worry about—namely their active opponents. Dragging an unconcious body could create a bit of movement that the combatant registers as just enough of a threat to act upon. Of course, that's just a handwave, so I wouldn't take it more seriously than is required to run the game.

Is there anything I'm missing from this consideration? This is a very grey area. I'm open to further discussion on the issue.

Lycar
2008-11-21, 12:37 PM
The only problem there is that the AoO actually gives the gnoll a free swing while he would otherwise have to dedicate an action to attacking the prone Grigor. Or even a Full-Round action for a coup de grace.

But that's game logic for you. :smallconfused:

On the plus side, it works for the players too.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-11-21, 12:45 PM
Well, given that logic, I'm just not moving you :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-21, 12:48 PM
The only problem there is that the AoO actually gives the gnoll a free swing while he would otherwise have to dedicate an action to attacking the prone Grigor.
Well, that's what an AoO does whatever is provoking it.

Of course, it's not totally free. Unless he has Combat Reflexes, he only gets one AoO, which an ally could take advantage of tactically.

Another_Poet
2008-11-21, 12:53 PM
"Guys... I bet he doesn't have Combat reflexes! Someone kick Grigor's body so we can walk by unscathed!"

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-21, 01:46 PM
Well, that is meant to apply to AoOs in general. :smalltongue:

Lycar
2008-11-22, 08:24 AM
"Guys... I bet he doesn't have Combat reflexes! Someone kick Grigor's body so we can walk by unscathed!"

Alternativly, if you are keen on disarming someone, but do not want to be thwarted by a cheap AoO, just because you don't have Impr. Disarm, trying to go around a foe and drawing his AoO this way, so that he can't react to your disarm attempt, might actually be usefull in a pinch.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-11-22, 10:47 AM
Alternativly, if you are keen on disarming someone, but do not want to be thwarted by a cheap AoO, just because you don't have Impr. Disarm, trying to go around a foe and drawing his AoO this way, so that he can't react to your disarm attempt, might actually be usefull in a pinch.
Indeed, this is quite useful for actions that automatically fail if you take damage from an AoO. Such as Disarms.

But then, Tell doesn't take AoOs for Disarm as long as he can use the reach on his chain.

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-23, 03:22 PM
Ah, that brings back memories. I had a barbarian that did that all the time. Pretty much whenver a spellcaster would show up, he would do a flying leap across the room to behind the caster, rage, grapple. fight over.

Game never got to the point where they would have freedom of movement up.

Another_Poet
2008-11-24, 10:13 AM

Lycar

The real problem with that is that you can only do it if you're willing to sacrifice an unconscious party member. If they were already dead they'd be objects and not provoke; if it's an enemy body the Gnoll wouldn't AoO it anyway; so it basically has to be a friendly, still-living body with 9 or less hits before it is toast.

Maybe if the fight was desperate enough, but.....

Skjaldbakka
2008-11-24, 03:26 PM
That's not what he meant. Here is the trick I think he is referring to.

Monster is in melee with one of your allies. You would like to disarm/grapple/trip/something else that provokes. You move around to flank it, moving in a manner that will provoke an AoO. If it takes it, you go ahead and grapple or whatever, banking on its not having combat reflexed. If it doesn't, you got into a flanking position for free.

edit- good thing for me that I took psionic body

Lycar
2008-11-24, 03:51 PM
What Skjaldbakka said.

No sacrificing anyone but yourself here. You risk taking one on the chin to make your special attack unmolested in return.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-11-26, 01:15 PM
At least Grigor has a 10% chance to wake up after 1 hour. Then he can heal everybody up to 1/2 health for free, then come the cure spells.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-12-01, 01:42 AM
Soo.... what happens next?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-01, 08:20 AM
I wake from my turkey-induced coma and get back to managing the game. It was Thanksgiving this past week, which meant lots of holiday time with family. Plus I spent a lot of time visiting a sick family member that wasn't able to make it to the celebrations. Shoulda said something earlier. My bad.

Lycar
2008-12-01, 02:46 PM
Ah, that explains that then. No worries, family first!

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-01, 03:07 PM
Are you sure its evocation on the weapons, and no transmutation? That would be unusual, so I am rping accordingly.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-01, 09:37 PM
Well, if you're figuring that it's got nothing but a numeric bonus, it'd be evocation (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItems.html#magic-items-and-detect-magic).

And there are plenty of non-elemental enhancements that pass evocation, such as axiomatic, anarchic, (un)holy, mighty cleaving, spell storing, and wounding.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-01, 11:01 PM
1st - holy cow, I can actually follow that link at work. woohoo!

2nd - huh, coulda sworn that was transmutation as well, since GMW is transmutation.

3rd- from Megiddo's perspective, holy is just as much an element as fire or ice.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-02, 09:20 AM
3rd- from Megiddo's perspective, holy is just as much an element as fire or ice.
No guarantee it would have a visible indicator like the energy enhanced weapons do, though. You wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that it's a holy weapon just by looking at it.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-03, 04:02 PM
Magic Missile Damage:

[roll0]
[roll1]

If two gnolls come into view at the same time, one missile goes to the singed one, and two at the other.

Lycar
2008-12-04, 03:21 PM
I'd love to help, but unfortunately Grigor is still indisposed. :smallannoyed:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-07, 05:39 PM
"Your promises don' make ya one o' the band. Can't let no outsiders, no matter how friendly, sneak around without proper authorization,"

Aside from the use of contractions, this is something Megiddo might say. Of course, he wouldn't be talking about the same kind of outsiders. :smallbiggrin:

Lycar
2008-12-10, 02:38 AM
Okay, if Grigor was stabilised at -6 HP, this should bring him up to 2 HP.

Standard action to heal himself for 9 and then get up and draw his weapon (can combine drawing a weapon with a move action).

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 09:40 AM
Only 8 hp on a CMW? Caster Level 3!

:(

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 09:59 AM
Cure moderate? Oh, I was thinking Cure light.

Uh, throw in an extra [roll0], then.

I'll update the IC thread a little later today.

Lycar
2008-12-10, 01:01 PM
Uhm.. I cant count.... leave out the 0... so he's at 3.

And if we add 7 to that he's at 10.

That was the only prepared CMW though. Either he needs a full-round action to convert another spell next or a standard action to use 'Touch of Healing'.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 01:04 PM
Hmm, I forgot all about this wand of invisibility I picked up from Dead NPC #3.

Shhalahr, I forget, does arcane/divine make a difference with wands? Do I need to make a UMD check to use it or just point & click?

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 01:59 PM
Uhm.. I cant count.... leave out the 0... so he's at 3.

And if we add 7 to that he's at 10.

One potion of cure moderate wounds cured 8 + 7 = 15 hp.

-6 + 15 = 9

You don't leave out the 0

That was the only prepared CMW though. Either he needs a full-round action to convert another spell next or a standard action to use 'Touch of Healing'.
Converting to healing spells doesn't require any extra time unless you are using metamagic on the healing spell.

Oh, and actually getting a free action weapon draw applies when "combined with a regular move (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#draw-or-sheathe)," not a move action. Given the size of a bastard sword, I find it hard to see someone rising to their feet and drawing the wepon at the same time, so I'd like to hold to that. However, since Megiddo is helping Grigor up, I'd say they can manage this time.

Shhalahr, I forget, does arcane/divine make a difference with wands? Do I need to make a UMD check to use it or just point & click?
Nope, no arcane/divine issues with spell trigger items like wands. That only applies to spell completion items like scrolls. Of course, the spell does have to be on your class list. Invisibility is not a druid spell, and Tell does not have any ranks in Use Magic Device, which is a trained-only skill. Since Megiddo has Illusion as a prohibited school, that leaves Grigor (thanks to his level in Bard) or maybe Spugnoir (assuming he has access to Illusion spells) as folks that can use the wand.

Lycar
2008-12-10, 03:06 PM
One potion of cure moderate wounds cured 8 + 7 = 15 hp.

-6 + 15 = 9

You don't leave out the 0

Converting to healing spells doesn't require any extra time unless you are using metamagic on the healing spell.

Oh, and actually getting a free action weapon draw applies when "combined with a regular move (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html#draw-or-sheathe)," not a move action. Given the size of a bastard sword, I find it hard to see someone rising to their feet and drawing the wepon at the same time, so I'd like to hold to that. However, since Megiddo is helping Grigor up, I'd say they can manage this time.

:smallsigh: That's what you get when you try to post while not fully awake...

Oh well, seems I got some things mixed up then. So spell conversion for a cleric doesn't make it a full-round action then. Good to know.

Right then. Until further notice, Grigor switches to defensive mode and fights one-handed, using his buckler. And maybe even fights defensivly. If he can't get a couple of rounds to bring himself up to speed.

But next thing he does on his move is to cast CMW: [roll0]

Also, I don't think Grigor can use Tell's wand of Invisibility, that spell is not on the spell list for clerics? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 03:09 PM
Lycar, not sure if you just saw my IC post but if not please take a look. If you're not up for the invisibility deal let me know so I can revise. But invisibility might keep you safer than those extra 12 hp right now.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-10, 03:14 PM
This is a little late to bring this up, but isn't command a mind-effecting compulsion, and didn't I cast protection from evil on Tell?

Edit - just to clarify, trying to retcon is a nightmare in PbP, I don't want to do that, but its more of a 'for future reference' question.

Lycar
2008-12-10, 03:18 PM
Nope, sorry. Grigor can't use Tell's wand of Invisibility. It's not on the spell lists for clerics and he can't even try because he has no ranks in Use Magic Device, sorry. :smallannoyed:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 03:19 PM
Maybe we can get some free wand-bonks out of it. Ideally all 4 would go invisible and we'd open one of the south doors in the room Tell is in, so they think we went that way.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 04:04 PM
Invisibility is a Bard spell, and Grigor has a level in Bard.

And, yeah, I totally forgot about the protection from evil bit. And I've never been able to figure out the best definition for "ongoing control," either. Damn.

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 04:13 PM
Invisibility is a Bard spell, and Grigor has a level in Bard.

I know, hence my IC post.

What I meant was get some free wand bonks was get more per round. There're 4 of us and those gnolls are sure to come looking pretty soon. But I was mostly kidding. As long as we can get Grigor and Spugnoir invis'd we should be OK.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 04:33 PM
I know, hence my IC post.
But Lycar seemed to be forgetting about his Bard level.

Another_Poet
2008-12-10, 04:39 PM
Oh sorry, I didn't see that.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-10, 04:51 PM
And, yeah, I totally forgot about the protection from evil bit. And I've never been able to figure out the best definition for "ongoing control," either. Damn.

Yeah, that can be tricky. I've always ruled that anything that forces you to take a specific action applies. So mind-effecting compulsions that give penalties (such as doom) are not blocked, but command, charm, dominate, etc are.

Its kind of a strong effect.

Lycar
2008-12-10, 05:15 PM
Ugh, sorry about that. It's just that Grigor originally had nor bard levels, but I had to rebuild him to meet the criteria for this game.

Yeah okay, invisible we go then...

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-10, 07:11 PM
Yeah, that can be tricky. I've always ruled that anything that forces you to take a specific action applies. So mind-effecting compulsions that give penalties (such as doom) are not blocked, but command, charm, dominate, etc are.
Uh, doom's Necromancy. Since I assumed that you confused it with bane, which is what I always do, I double checked that.

Yeah, that's good. My problem was I had never noticed a Compulsion effect that didn't grant control like that. I never really payed to the school of bane. Now that I know what it is, I think what you say is pretty well correct.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-10, 10:58 PM
*sigh*

My encyclopedic knowledge of all things 3.5 has been fading since I haven't been able to get into a game since moving.

I finally manage to get into a game, and it's 4E.

Another_Poet
2008-12-11, 09:49 AM
I finally manage to get into a game, and it's 4E.

Just curious, what's your opinion of it based on playing it?

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-11, 03:11 PM
First game hasn't happened yet. I'm making a level 2 ranger right now.

My current reactions are that there are not a lot of ways to break out of the box with 4E yet. It really feels like 2WF rangers are all the same, and archery rangers are all the same, unless you are deliberately sub optimal. Feats don't really seem to do much, which is also frustrating.

Also, I really hate the skill system. I like skill points. I don't like how you get better at every skill automatically as you level. I especially don't like that you have to take a feat to have a cross class skill.

There are a few good things about it that surprised me: small modifiers seem like they will always matter, since you are rolling 1d20+1/2level+modifiers vs. 10+1/2level+modifiers. So the +2 from combat reflexes on opp. attacks consistently increases your odds by 10%, at every level.

There are a lot of movement powers in the ranger class that I like, but can't use because the game is 25 pt. buy, and they are wisdom based powers (I'm making str/dex a priority). Lots of whirlwind attack, especially since I'm taking the multiclass feats to have the fighter burst powers as well. There's one I really like that is a burst of 3 (15ft.), that forces enemies to shift towards you 2 spaces so they are adjacent, and then you get a melee burst of 1.

That being said, I will never buy the DMG or MM. I could never run a 4E game, because the fundamental design philosophy of "PCs are different, and use different rules" goes directly against the way I design my campaigns.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-11, 11:14 PM
That being said, I will never buy the DMG or MM. I could never run a 4E game, because the fundamental design philosophy of "PCs are different, and use different rules" goes directly against the way I design my campaigns.
That was my basic take on it from all the preview stuff. One of the reasons I've been staying away from it. A lot of the stuff I hear about it strikes me as "too much game, not enough world," too.

Lycar
2008-12-14, 04:51 PM
Grigors next action is still to make Tell invisible.

Lycar

Lycar
2008-12-16, 05:03 PM
See post #692. Grigor makes Tell invisible. THEN he follows him.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-16, 08:38 PM
See post #692. Grigor makes Tell invisible. THEN he follows him.

But what about Megiddo and Spugnoir?

And actually, isn't it hard to follow an invisible druid around?

Lycar
2008-12-17, 01:50 PM
Ugh wait, I got that mixed up. :smallyuk:

Yes okay, Grigor looks up the corridor for a moment, then decides to put the wand to good use and approaches Meggido next to dose him up on invisibility.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-21, 08:40 PM
So, Merry Christmas and/or other Holiday. I'm hoping thats the reason for the slowdown, anyway.

Another_Poet
2008-12-22, 10:11 AM
It's not too hard to follow an invisible druid when he's whispered three times what his plan is and you can see him opening the pantry door.

Am I invisible or not? Becuase I've already taken actions contingent on being invisible, and I can't step away from Grigor to go open these doors until after he's done using the wand on me.

And yeah, I've been quiet because of Meangheimhreadh (Winter Solstice) which was yesterday, We had a huge celebration at my temple Sat. night and then a sunrise ceremony yesterday. I'll try not to chomp at the bit too much while everybody else disappears for Christmas (presumably).

:)

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-22, 11:41 AM
It's not too hard to follow an invisible druid when he's whispered three times what his plan is and you can see him opening the pantry door.
DC 20 to pinpoint and two squares from which he can open the cupboard door. Not too hard to bump into him. Just saying. :smalltongue:

Am I invisible or not? Becuase I've already taken actions contingent on being invisible, and I can't step away from Grigor to go open these doors until after he's done using the wand on me.
At this point, the only one still visible is Spugnoir.

EDIT:
Oh, and quick poll.

I've been using a font called Sand for the gnolls. Y'know, to give the impression of a rough, guttural voice for these guys. But it's not a standard web-safe font. I just wanted something other than the Comic Sans MS I've been using for the hobgoblins.

Anyway, since it isn't a standard web font, I'm wondering how many of you actually have Sand available. If I'm the only one seeing this, I might as well stop using it, as it's not serving any purpose. If you have it, the following sentence (and several words above) should appear in a different font: This is an example sentence written with the Sand font.

If you don't have it but have some other fonts that provide the same impression, feel free to make suggestions.

Another_Poet
2008-12-22, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification, and I don't see the Sand font.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-22, 03:33 PM
I can't see the font. I might be disappearing for Christmas. Not that I really celebrate Christmas anymore. I am spending thursday and friday with family, though.

Lycar
2008-12-22, 05:00 PM
Oh, and quick poll.

I've been using a font called Sand for the gnolls. Y'know, to give the impression of a rough, guttural voice for these guys. But it's not a standard web-safe font. I just wanted something other than the Comic Sans MS I've been using for the hobgoblins.

Huh, didn't even realize the font looks any different until you mentioned it. Maybe it's the small size.

Unfortunately I have no idea what easily available font would look sufficientl 'different' for that to work.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-23, 08:09 AM
M'kay. Good to know. I didn't think Sand was terribly common, but it's the best one I could find on my system. I've tested and made sure that the board software accepts font lists. So I can set it up so it'll display Comic Sans MS if you don't have sand. I'll have to consider doing that with any other font changes I may make.

Oh, yeah, and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Another_Poet
2008-12-23, 10:00 AM
Oh, yeah, and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Mine's over, but thank you! And right back atcha.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-23, 10:21 AM
Mine's over, but thank you! And right back atcha.
Heh, I'm usually on the late side even with the ones I celebrate.

Lycar
2008-12-23, 01:53 PM
Well, Happy Holidays and Christmas and Wejhnachten and whatever you guys celebrate.

Certainly my BMI will rise the next few days... :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-23, 03:24 PM
OK, my character sheet is screwed up. My feats, spells, and items are all blank. That is going to be a pain to try to put back, since I don't have d20srd at work anymore.

Another_Poet
2008-12-23, 04:15 PM
Are you at myth-weavers? I was looking through their help section the other day and it said there is a way to revert to previous saved versions of a sheet. I don't know the details but I'd definitely check it out if I were you.

ap

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-23, 04:48 PM
I use coyotecode, actually. I'll have to check and see if they have a similar function.

Frosty
2008-12-24, 02:03 AM
Ok, I'm officially stuck on ideas on how to proceed. Entertainer, you got any ideas?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-24, 09:43 AM
Okay, to make things a bit easier, here's what a lantern sheds, based off of the templates in the DMG:
http://www.divshare.com/img/6172559-1af.png

The yellow squares are full ilumination, and the brown squares are shadowy. This is for normal vision. For low-light vision, the entire thing is full illumination, of course. The low-light vision shadowy illumiation would extend further than most chambers in hte moathouse would allow, so I won't bother painting that out for now.

Applying that to where Tell's putting the lantern, we get light like this:
http://www.divshare.com/img/6172561-f7a.png

The center is in the northwest corner of the lantern's square, the most favorable arrangement for light use. Any questions?

Another_Poet
2008-12-24, 09:54 AM
Oh, I didn't see this before posting... I'll go move the Dead Gnoll Lamp.

Thank you by the way.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-24, 03:34 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure I had a magic missile, a burning hands, and two scorching rays left, as well as some level 0 spells. I know I had no PP left, because I track that in my signature.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-26, 10:31 AM
* Wakes up from Kemp's Holly Nog induced coma *

Well, that was fun. Now to get back to controlling the forces of Evil! :smallsmile:

Lycar
2008-12-26, 06:02 PM
Hum, I've been unexpectedly buisy over the last two days, therefore a slightly late Merry Christmas to everyone. :smallsmile:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-29, 11:03 PM
So, my team: Good Luck. My 3 hp invisible butt really can't help you guys much. Maybe I can get the gate open though.

Lycar
2008-12-31, 10:08 AM
Wait what ?!?! 3 hp ?!? :smalleek::smalleek:

Why didn't you say anything, Grigor could have healed you up!

Lycar

Another_Poet
2008-12-31, 10:48 AM
Well Skjald, Tell doesn't know anything about that. But once I take down Gren you'll be clear to zap from afar without attractign ranged reprisals. And if a gnoll tries to charge you I gets my AoO before it heads out, so....

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS MAN START ZAPPING!

kthxbye

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-12-31, 12:14 PM
Straight -> Panicked -> Cutesy Lolspeak

In 3 statements.

Talk about mood whiplash.

:smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2008-12-31, 12:34 PM
:smallcool:

and stuff in white

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-31, 04:10 PM
I don't have very many zaps left, and one of them is a 15' burst.

Lycar
2008-12-31, 11:59 PM
Happy new year everybody. :smallsmile:

Oh and also it occurs to me that Grigor (thanks to his Gloves of Ogre Power) actually inflicts 1d10+4 damage one-handed. Either way, the witch is dead.

Since we are in the thick of things already, bardsong isn't advised right now, so Grigor will keep swinging at the dogfaces for the time being.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 10:23 AM
I don't have very many zaps left, and one of them is a 15' burst.

Okay, but just remember this cowardice when you are burying Tell's bones later...

Of course you'll have to wait for them to come out to the midden heap with the other remains of the gnolls' dinner.

(The above is my weird sense of humour. I'm not actually mad that you aren't suicide zapping. Getting that door open is important, too.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-05, 10:54 AM
Okay, I should have asked this a long time ago, but not being sure what the access issues might be for certain people, I've let myself wait. But, I think I gotta ask right now:

It's clear we've hit a wall with the Hobgoblin and Temple group. Nothing's moving forward. So are there any hints I can offer to help you out? If needed, you can also suggest a type of event to run through. I'm open to any suggestions.

Another_Poet
2009-01-05, 11:04 AM
I think you guys should follow my Mom's lead. Int he one and only full session of D&D she played, she and I captured a goblin. She decided that the best course of action was to skin him alive one body part at a time until he talked.

When my wife and I pointed out this would make her evil, she said:

"Okay, well, let's just cut the skin off one of his legs. WIll that work?"

I love my mom... but yeah, that was creepy.

Lycar
2009-01-08, 04:06 PM
Huh, I don't think we can surprise them now. Certainly they saw Grigor when he picked up the lantern.

Okay, Grigor can take a step to the west, pull out the wand and tap Tell with it if he's in range I suppose? What's your call on this Shhalahr?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-08, 05:12 PM
lez roll dem bones:

to hit: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-08, 06:40 PM
Well, the gnoll certainly knows about Meg, Grigor, and Tell. Whether or not the newcomers saw Grigor, they'll probably be aware. It'll be just like the last round of invisibility. Hide your position but not your presence.

Is Meg going to come down for the burning hands before he picks up his sword?

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-08, 08:23 PM
I was under the impression that action was interrupted, so he won't be picking up his sword. Also, he is casting his last scorching ray for the day, leaving him with the burning hands as his only combat spell left.

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-09, 12:15 PM
I am going to be gone for a day or so. AP can run my character while I am gone. I have a burning hands spell left, so ... not much to running my character right now. That and the scorching ray that is readied.

Should be back sunday night

Another_Poet
2009-01-09, 02:39 PM
Hey Skjald, can you link to your sheet? I know you were having problems retrieving it before.

Also, since you mentioned your elf proficiencies in a post already, I assume it's OK if I go in with longsword if needed but I'd feel better about it if you confirm that that's okay.

ap

edit: OK, I'm guessing you're already gone then. I'll do my best with what I gots. :)

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-11, 11:01 PM
So, I'm back. NERO was awesome this weekend. Highlights of my weekend:

1: I cured a plague.
2: My low level healer and potion maker was mistaken for being one of the higher level characters in the game.
3: I had an awesome last man standing moment with a spell called sanctuary, which protects you from melee attackers, but requires you clasp your hands above your head. Since I was carrying a box full of potions, I had to take a knee to set the box down as the big nasty scary monster ran up to me.

So at the very last possible moment, I kneeled on the ground, clasped my hands together over my head, and called upon the earth to grant sanctuary.

If you want to learn more about NERO, my chapter has a website : www.neroindiana.net , and there is also the main site: www.nerolarp.com

Edit- I also had a somewhat humorous moment when I accidentally healed a downed enemy. It was dark and raining, and behind the front line. Boy was I glad it didn't have any weapons on it anymore.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-12, 09:43 AM
Ooh! Sounds like good times. Glad to hear you had fun.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-13, 11:29 AM
This is not the same as reducing my speed. My speed does not become 15 (as it might in difficult terrain or something), rather it remains 30 but I can only use 15 of it without incurring penalty. So I can move the full 30 feet as a single move. BUT....

So it comes with Move Silently penalties, but not speed penalties.
I'm not quite sure how that's different from what I said, save from the descriptive use of the term "speed penalties". And let's face it, that's what it's supposed to represent. You can only move half speed without penalty because you're slowing down to take care and not make noise.

Moving at half speed to avoid penalties if functionally the same as having your speed reduced to only 15, except you can choose to eat the penalties (as you are doing in this case) and move further if you wish.

Another_Poet
2009-01-13, 11:54 AM
The difference is, I thought you were saying it would take a double move to go 30 feet, leaving no additional actions after moving. In fact it takes a single move, which incurs Move Silently penalties but still leaves a standard action at the end. If that's what you meant then we, and the SRD, are in agreement.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-13, 12:36 PM
The difference is, I thought you were saying it would take a double move to go 30 feet, leaving no additional actions after moving.
What I was saying is that it would take a double move to move 30 feet without taking penalties.

Another_Poet
2009-01-13, 12:56 PM
Ooh, wait, I like that. Gaming the system... I didn't move my full move... I moved my half move, twice! Yes very cool. I loves it.

Entertainer13
2009-01-15, 09:59 PM
So, in my inability to consistantly participate, did I bore Frosty to death? I think i did... Sorry, Frosty, I'll do better, I swears it!!

Lycar
2009-01-23, 03:44 AM
Hm.... looking on the map, there ought to be enough light reflected off the walls to show Tell the way. Not enough to make him see the ground but enough so he can see where the entrance to the corridor is.

Might need balance checks to move in the dark though maybe? :smallconfused:

Maybe Tell should shout for Grigor to wait up on him?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-01-24, 01:24 AM
No, to be honest, if the roles were reversed Tell might not wait for Grigor even if Grigor shouted for him. That's crummy, but the nice part it, Tell doesn't expect his companions to wait for the death mob, nor would he subject them to it even if he thought they were willing. If he is strong enough to get out, he will.

Natural selection... :)

Another_Poet
2009-01-24, 01:27 AM
If it's needed here is my balance check, including ACP:

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-01-27, 09:23 AM
If ya wanna look at the maps, the one for The Inn of the Welcome Wench (http://www.danielrivera.org/toee_hommlet.htm) should be spoiler-free. Some of you already spent the night there. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2009-01-29, 11:04 PM
I am in a power outage, and I always have a problem connecting to this site from work for some reason, so my posts may be sporadic for awhile.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-01, 08:09 PM
Well, power's back. Had to throw out pretty much everything in ye olde icebox though, which sucks.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-04, 03:21 PM
Well, power's back. Had to throw out pretty much everything in ye olde icebox though, which sucks.
All right, welcome back. Too bad about the food, though.

Didn't miss much. Came back after the weekend break only to find the Thread Purge under way. Took two days!

Lycar
2009-02-05, 01:35 AM
I transfered the WoI to Grigor's CS.

Shouldn't we discuss those OOC things in the OOC thread? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-05, 09:34 AM
Shouldn't we discuss those OOC things in the OOC thread? :smallconfused:
When it's a simple issue such as "who's got the wand?" that has an immediate impact on the current IC posts, there's no problem with making an OOC aside. That's why there are a number of practices for OOC asides to begin with.

I just happen to get a little long-winded at times, producing things a bit more detailed than a typical aside. But I figure it still helps figure out all that's going on without having to cross reference a bunch of separate threads. Especially when going back to review the game a few months later and so on.

I tend to feel the OOC thread is a bit better suited for discussions of things that don't affect the characters (like Skja's power outage) or the long term direction of the campaign. That sort of thing.

Lycar
2009-02-05, 02:21 PM
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'm just used to keeping things a bit more separated.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-08, 12:03 AM
Megiddo's prohibited schools were necromancy and illusion.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-11, 11:07 AM
I love how acid is always green in fantasy.
Especially since it's magic fantasy acid in this case. :smallbiggrin:

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-12, 01:50 AM
huh, did I miss something?