PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (OOC)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-12, 08:52 AM
I described the acid spray from the glyph of warding on the box as being green. It's magically created acid in a fantasy setting. It just has to be green.

Another_Poet
2009-02-12, 09:43 AM
Now that I think of it, it would be pretty nasty to have perfectly clear acid in a game. Especially pools of it in a dungeon. Describing it as a "clear liquid" wouild give it away though - I wonder if I ould get away with just saying it's water (since the PCs would probably assume that's what it was until they touched it) but that's a bit cruel. I guess I could at least roll a secret Craft (alchemy) or knowledge skill to see if anyone would think to test a clear liquid before wading in. If the check fails I say it's water until they touch it and start taking damage. Hehehehehe.

Actually, from now on I'm going to describe all fountains and pools of water my PCs encounter as "some sort of clear liquid" just to get them freaked out.

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-13, 02:17 AM
ok, yes, I did miss something. It is really starting to get on my nerves how hard it is for me to connect to this forum.

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 10:00 AM
ok, yes, I did miss something. It is really starting to get on my nerves how hard it is for me to connect to this forum.

Right, but perservere! When everybody else who's frustrated by forum slowness just stops visiting the site, the problem will fix itself and you win!

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-13, 03:36 PM
I'm not about to give up on the longest running PbP game I've been in.

Another_Poet
2009-02-13, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't really think so :)

And good point - this is the longest I've been in. The Ravenloft I'm in has gone almost as long though.

Lycar
2009-02-19, 02:29 AM
Sorry for the delay but getting anything posted has been quite challenging lately. :smallconfused:

Uh yeah seriously. Those killjoys need to be put out of their misery. Grigor is all in favour of that.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-02-23, 02:28 AM
I finished reconstructing my character sheet. Probably not 100% precise, but it looks about right to me.

Another_Poet
2009-02-27, 10:56 AM
Hey Shhalahr, please take this in the spirit it is intended, which is friendly feedback. I love your DMing but I die a little more inside each week that the Holy Rollers (Lor, Xaod, Pyro) do nothing but sit around in the woods near the temple.

"Well, I suppose it would be best to start out by you telling me what they did tell you."

That's fair, but to keep things moving you could have added something like

Assuming you do, he tells you....

Otherwise it's going to be two more days of waiting (one day for her to answer his question, another day for you to get back with the answer she wanted in the first place). And it's two days that basically just repeat what was already typed out several posts up.

At this point if I were you I think I'd just have the earth open up and drop them into a secret back entrance tunnel or something. But no matter what the plan is, do you think their plot thread is going to move along soon?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-02-27, 01:08 PM
I suppose you're right, but I was making that post under time constraints and didn't have the time to set up an "if, then, else" chain. I was also hoping that since Entertainer and I are actually in the same time zone we might be able to better zip through it with a few posts a day.

Also, I'm not accustomed to using "if, then else" as DM since it has the possibility of having plot spoilers or letting the game become over-dominated by the NPCs.

Another_Poet
2009-02-27, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I agree on all counts. I think this is a special case though, as they are just kind of caught in a plot lull that's been going on for a while.

On the other hand maybe I'm just nitpicky.

:)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-03-02, 10:04 PM
Sorry for the posting delay. I was just too fatigued this morning.

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-11, 11:08 PM
So... can I get a synergy bonus on my bluff check to fake a spell from my ranks in spellcraft?

yeah.... that would be a +2...

why are we doing this again?

Another_Poet
2009-03-12, 10:02 AM
Well, allegedly I'm doing it for this reason:

If the captain believes you can detect truth, and balks at swearing he is not working for the cult, not spying, not selling us out etc then we should take him down now. If he seems totally willing to take an oath under the spell then it's 50/50 whether we can trust him or not. We might find him out this way.

Technically you don't even have to fake a spell, just bluff well enough to make him think it's a different spell than it is. Then just bop him with yoru Detect Evil wand or something/

I say "allegedly" because, secretly, I'm hoping this plan is so cool and unexpected it will get us bonus XP.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-03-12, 02:39 PM
Intimidate? No, no, that would be wrong. I just think that maybe switching to grizzly bear form and grappling the guy so Meg can hit him with detect evil would be a good move.
Huh?

Ah, yes. Why intimidate when an assault will do?

Another_Poet
2009-03-12, 02:57 PM
It's all part of due process.

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-16, 02:30 AM
did we kill it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-03-16, 10:35 AM
Oh, wow. I was still waiting for Megiddo to chime in on the situation, and the "Go to first unread post" button actually skipped past where he already did and past Tell's response. Going straight to Grigor.

Well, I'll have something up soon.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-04-06, 02:42 PM
Sorry for the break in posting. I had a few distractions going on. I'll try and get an update later tonight. ("Later tonight" being based off of U.S. Central Standard Time/UTC -5.)

Another_Poet
2009-04-06, 03:02 PM
Cool, look forward to it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-04-15, 08:22 AM
Having issues with my Ripway account in setting up the map. Apparently some auto-bot keeps on flagging my account on suspicion of phishing and keeping me from logging in. I'm working on fixing the problem.

Lycar
2009-04-27, 05:39 PM
So, any luck opening that gate by brute force?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-04-28, 04:35 PM
Sorry. I've just been feeling really drained lately, and I started a new job today. I'm working on getting back into the flow of things.

Another_Poet
2009-04-29, 10:28 AM
No problem, and thanks for letting us know. I look forward to the next update :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-04-29, 08:59 PM
Today's excuse for no update: My second nephew was born tonight. 19:36 UTC-6. Mother and son are just fine.

Another_Poet
2009-04-30, 12:44 AM
Congratulations!

Lycar
2009-04-30, 02:50 PM
Congratulations. :smallsmile:

Take your time, the game will wait.

Just as long as you promise to come back eventually. :smallwink:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-05-04, 08:42 AM
Just as long as you promise to come back eventually. :smallwink:

Ditto that. :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-05, 07:31 PM
I seem to have lost the map booklet for the game. This will cause a delay, particularly for Lor and Pyro.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-07, 08:07 PM
Okay, slight complication to the new Map Software. Turns out Ripway's still on PHP 4, and I'm using functions only available in PHP 5. I was going to give a test page so I could find out if the new software would work for you guys, but I'll have to work out some other PHP 5-enabled server space first.

Another_Poet
2009-05-07, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure what most of that means, but I get the idea :)

I dunno if maybe this would be too much work, but if you simply took a .png of the map and added letters across the side and numbers across the top, you could save that as a master copy. Then we tell you where we want to move to each round, and you save a new copy with our positions and any monster positions marked.

Then Photobucket/Imageshack the image and put a link in the IC thread.

It'd work, but for all I know it's too much legwork for you.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-08, 05:38 AM
It'd work, but for all I know it's too much legwork for you.
It is. That's exactly the kind of thing I did before I wrote the PHP script. Wound up taking an hour or more for most updates. The new software version I'm working on is designed to reduce the time it takes even further by adding the built in functionality to add and remove tokens from the board so I don't have to edit the new files by hand. All this drawback means is we continue using the old version a little longer.

Another_Poet
2009-05-08, 09:10 AM
Okay, one more question for you.

Have you considered using MapTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool)?

Had I known about it when we first started this game I would've told you then. I suspect it does everything you want your program to do. It's designed for play-by-chat but the map feature is so cool you could drop your Moathouse map onto it, drop our tokens onto it, save the image and you're done. Next round you don't have to mess with creating a new map, just move the tokens appropriately, save image and done.

Again, if this is not of interest just ignore me - you're the DM and you're entitled to fix the map problem any way you like. I'm happy to wait.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-11, 05:49 AM
Had I known about it when we first started this game I would've told you then. I suspect it does everything you want your program to do. It's designed for play-by-chat but the map feature is so cool you could drop your Moathouse map onto it, drop our tokens onto it, save the image and you're done. Next round you don't have to mess with creating a new map, just move the tokens appropriately, save image and done.
Given that I used Inkscape before, I never had to make a new map. That's what image layers are for. I'd never be able to get anything done if I had to set up a new map every time.

The big time waster and really annoying bit was having to load up and jump between several applications all at once. And it was a pain having to upload a whole new image all the time. So using another application won't solve the problems I'm trying to solve.

That said, I've uploaded the test map to the future home of a website I was designing for this anyway. I was just keeping it on Ripway before to save bandwidth costs, but I'm actually getting close to a full release version of a public tool out of this that I might as well start setting it up at its final home.

New features:
Add or remove characters to the map directly. Useful for Tell's summoning.
Edit a character's image as well as Label.
Highlights and brings selected character to the top layer. No more having to search high and low just because your character wound up on the bottom of the rendering stack.

Test map is at: http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/showmap.php?mapNum=castletest. The password is the same as the one we've been using for the other maps.

Please, take a moment to test it out. It works on my browser, but might not work on yours. Let me know if there are any problems.

I just created the alpha.dragonflightstudios subdomain last night. It should have sufficiently propagated through the DNS registries by now, but if not, you might get a "Could not find/connect to alpha.dragonflightstudios.com" error. If you do, just wait a while. This is the kind of thing only time can solve.

Another_Poet
2009-05-11, 08:49 AM
It seems to work nicely, Shhalahr, though I don't see the add token or edit label features.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-11, 04:44 PM
Hit the Character Editor button. The editor box should appear. Use the radio button to select the type of edit to make. Both adding a new character and editing the selected one use the same input boxes. The radio button tells the program whether to use the info to create a whole new character or to change the info on the selected character. Character removal will ignore those items, of course. Then just hit the Submit button in the Editor panel, and there ya go.

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-11, 06:30 PM
Nothing happens when I hit the character editor button.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-11, 07:40 PM
Nothing happens when I hit the character editor button.
Okay, I made a change that should fix it. Try again.

Oh, and if you want to try using a Custom icon when adding a character, the grid squares are 50px x 50px. So a Small or Medium creature would conform to those dimensions. Large would be 100px x 100px, Huge is 150px x 150px, Tiny is 25px x 25px, and so on. The program doesn't check for image sizes, though, so any size image could be inserted, it just wouldn't scale to the map.

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-12, 06:27 AM
Still didn't work with IE, but I does work with Firefox, which I also have.

Not sure if I have the most recent update for IE, that might be it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-12, 03:36 PM
Still didn't work with IE, but I does work with Firefox, which I also have.
Did the you ever use the Label panel on the current version with your current IE setup? The code's pretty well identical for opening the panel.

I'm on a Mac and don't have ready access to a computer for IE testing, which is why we're going through this "does it work" thing.

Not sure if I have the most recent update for IE, that might be it.
Firefox and Opera still tend to have better CSS and scripting compliance. Though IE is admittedly getting better, I'd still recommend using one of those two in general. [/browser critic] :smallwink:

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-12, 09:50 PM
/shrug
Despite the fact that I do tech support for a living, I am not really a techie type of person. As long as I can get it to work, I'm happy.

edit- ever since starting to work for apple, I have fallen in love with the mac. If I weren't halfway through my rent-to-own on my PC labtop, I'd switch it over to a macbook.

in your opinion, what is the best game out there that will run on the mac os?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-13, 05:40 AM
/shrug
Despite the fact that I do tech support for a living, I am not really a techie type of person. As long as I can get it to work, I'm happy.
With substandard support for web languages, things should less likely to work on IE, wich would theoretically remove that argument. Only thing is that it's got such a huge market share, many developers bend over backwards to support it, doing far more work than should be necessary. As a result, things do work on IE, and people don't realize how bad the browser is.

Now, the web is supposed to be a "universal" technology, independent of individual browser and OS choices. There are agreed-upon languages and protocols. It's really up to the browser manufacturers to uphold support of those. So I've always felt this focus on making web sites compatible with browsers was pretty well ass-backwards. It should be browsers striving for compatibility with websites.

So that I've been trying to work on ways to at least get my pages "acceptable" in IE, but I've been programming for browsers with full support. (Of course, actually, no browser actually has full support for CSS, so I'm still somewhat limited. :smallyuk:) I actually have been going through a book on that very subject.

Wow, you hit my soapbox button, didn't you? :smallbiggrin:

in your opinion, what is the best game out there that will run on the mac os?
Ooh, I've never managed to be a bit-time PC-type gamer. Most of my games are freeware mini-games from the Apple downloads (http://www.apple.com/downloads) site or NES emulator ROMS. So I'm not exactly an authority, here.

Only full, new game I've really gotten for OS X is Warcraft III. (I still have to finish the expansion pack.) Starcraft has an OS X native patch, too, so that's good. In general, Blizzard (http://www.blizzard.com/us/) is really good about making its games Mac-compatible.

Ambrosia Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/) is Mac-centric. They've got some good games. The Escape Velocity (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/) series is especially good, though the first two are only available for Classic.

[hr]
I'll update the IC thread later today. Don't have the time right now.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-15, 05:40 AM
Skja, have you tried moving the characters in IE yet? I've got a couple of other people helping test this that are using IE, and they can't get the figures to move. Though they haven't complained about the Editor Panel.

And everyone, please do try and submit changes to the map. I need to make sure this is sending the proper form data, not just whether the characters move, are labeled, are added, etc.

[hr]
EDIT:
Okay, I just realized that there's a bit of CSS code that IE doesn't recognize (but just about every other browser does) that I was using for the panel show/hide thing. If this is the reason the panel is not working, then it should have also made the Label panel on the old software buggy, too.

Anyway, I changed a few things around there. See if the panel works now.

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-15, 06:54 AM
I will try that tonight or tomorrow. This is the first I've been able to get into the forums since Weds. But now I am off to work.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-16, 11:07 AM
For those of you using IE, if you want to continue using it, I have made a few more changes for compatibility, and you can give it a try.

Also, in order to better comply with XHTML standards, you have to use Javascript to open links in new windows. (That is: XHTML Strict doesn't support the "target" attribute of anchor tags.) Of course, this opens more compatibility issues, since I'm trying to comply with XHTML Strict. Could you try to make sure that the "Map Key" link opens in a new window now. (It will give you a 404 error, since I don't have a key file loaded at this time. I just need to make sure the page opens in a new window.)

I still recommend using a different browser, though. :smallwink:

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-17, 01:20 PM
Ok, so I will not have internet access for a few days. I just moved, and the new apartment does not have internet set up yet.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-19, 05:33 AM
Sorry if I've been flaking out. I'm still adjusting to my new schedule. I'll try and have a real update today.

Skjaldbakka
2009-05-19, 05:48 AM
So, stroke of luck - my roommate bumped into the local insight tech while he was doing an install for the neighbor, who called and got the bundle set up so he could go ahead and install it on the spot. So basically we have internet (and some other things) all set up while I was work yesterday. Go roommate!

Which means I have the all-important internet much sooner than anticipated. "w00t!"

Another_Poet
2009-05-19, 09:11 AM
Nice! GM and Skjald both come back on the same day? I anticipate plot advancement!!!

Lycar
2009-05-21, 10:20 AM
Hrm. I'm using Opera and I get the box to 'Change Label' and can choose a figure, but there is no box to enter a password? On the map I mean.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-21, 03:30 PM
I assume you're talking about the map we're currently using (still at Ripway) rather than the test map for the new software, since you're talking about a "Change Label" button rather than the "Character Editor".

If the password box isn't showing, you're not on the most current map. Check for a "Next" link in the upper right corner. You can jump to the most current map by removing the "?num=xxx" in the url.

Lycar
2009-05-21, 07:27 PM
Oh all right, that does the trick. :smallredface:

Edit: uhm? I tried to move Grigor, but now all the icons are gone? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-05-22, 05:18 AM
Little bug I haven't been able to figure out yet: Sometimes the thing makes a blank map turn file. I'll go get rid of that.

Skjaldbakka
2009-06-02, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, how's it going?

Lycar
2009-06-03, 12:32 AM
Uhm, didn't Grigor manage to step into the space now occupied by Gnoll skeleton #5?

Also, all the games I'm currently in seem to go quite slow lately. :smallannoyed:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-03, 05:31 AM
Oops. Just forgot about that adjustment. I'll update the map. Doesn't change the outcome of anything else, though.

And, yeah, I'm still settling into my new schedule right now, so I apologize for any slowness on my part. And yesterday was just a bad day for a multitude of reasons anyway.

Lycar
2009-06-08, 11:48 AM
*poke poke* People? You still there? :smallconfused:

Lycar
2009-06-11, 05:54 PM
Hum, I don't know if it wouldn't be better to cast Shield of Faith on Tell instead. If he doesn't get hit in the first place, he won't need to make any saves after all. :smallconfused:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-17, 05:43 AM
I pictured it as the wolf distractign the ghoul while the other wolf went for the trip.
Seems to me that description is a better match for the standard Aid to reduce opponent AC or raise ally Attack.

Lycar
2009-06-17, 01:24 PM
Grigor... hmm.. yeah okay, he'll eat the AoO and try to brush past the ghoul.

He still has that diary entry in his mind... he wants to find that guy and beat him up.

I suppose he needs a fortitude save vs. ghoul stench: [roll0] (cross thumbs)...

Well, suck. :smallsigh:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-29, 04:46 PM
(I currently have some trouble with Windows, so the map doesn't display. Does Grigor see the caster? If so, can he move around the spider a bit, ending up 10' away and get a shot at him or reach him with a double move without provoking an AoO from the spider?)
Nothing on the map is displaying?

Are the form elements (pop-up menu, label button, password box, and submit button) and links displaying at all?

What browser are you using?

Did you have any trouble with the test page for the new software (http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/showmap.php?mapNum=castletest)?

Lycar
2009-06-29, 07:13 PM
Nothing on the map is displaying?

Are the form elements (pop-up menu, label button, password box, and submit button) and links displaying at all?

What browser are you using?

Did you have any trouble with the test page for the new software (http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/showmap.php?mapNum=castletest)?

Until I get my Windows fixed, I'm running Iceweasel from a Linux CD. And Iceweasel chokes on the normal map (displays the window and grids, but no graphics, then freezes up) while it can display the testmap fine apparently.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-30, 03:54 PM
Until I get my Windows fixed, I'm running Iceweasel from a Linux CD. And Iceweasel chokes on the normal map (displays the window and grids, but no graphics, then freezes up) while it can display the testmap fine apparently.
Hm. Rather odd. Haven't had any trouble on Mac Firefox, which is about as close as I can get to Linux Iceweasel right now. When it "freezes up," does the whole program freeze, or just the site? And if the latter, by "freeze up" are we talking about it stopping loading or continually processing?

I've been thinking of going ahead and converting the moathouse map to the new software version anyway.

Lycar
2009-06-30, 04:46 PM
The whole programm freezez up. It doesn't react anymore, I can not access any other tabs open, It doesn't even allow me to access a second instance of the program.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-30, 05:00 PM
The whole programm freezez up. It doesn't react anymore, I can not access any other tabs open, It doesn't even allow me to access a second instance of the program.
Ouch.

Hm. I tried to cut down on bandwidth and server processing by having the grid drawn with javascript loops. It seems that the hang-up is occuring at the end of that javascript. The rest of the map drawing is processed server-side, so your browser is just recieving regular HTML there.

I changed the way the grid is handled in the new version to allow for future scalability. Guess that fixed whatever's causing the hangup on Iceweasel. I'm gonna take a peek at the old map code and see if there's any wierd error. But if I don't find it, I'm not going to worry too much, since we'll be going entirely to the new version soon anyway.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-02, 10:18 PM
I'd like to request clarification.

According to the map I am 25' from the ghoul. I have a ball of fire in my hand, which should shed the same light as a torch, so the ghoul is in fact in shadowy illumination.

So are you saying I shot it, and you rolled the miss chance, and I missed?
The ghoul isn't in shadowy illumination until after you double move, though. Here's what happened:

The ghoul starts out near Grigor, well within full illumination provided by Grigor's torch. However, being 25 ft. away from Tell, the produce flame would only provide shadowy illumination if Grigor's torch was not there.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1150059/lightingStartSmall.png

The ghoul acts on initiative count six, after the militia and before Tell. He chooses to withdraw with a double move as a full round action, escaping from Grigor without provoking an AoO, and entering total darkness. The ghoul has darkvision, so this does not bother it.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1150059/lightingAfterGhoulSmall.png

Tell chooses to pursue the ghoul. After a single move, though, the ghoul is still in total darkness. The produce flame spell is not bright enough to illuminate the ghoul.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1150059/lightingTellSingleMoveSmall.png

He must move another four spaces before the ghoul becomes lit with shadowy illumination. This requires a double move, eliminating a chance to throw a flame.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1150059/lightingGhoulVisibleSmall.png

I assumed Tell would just make the best of his situation and finish closing in.

I suppose if he wanted to, actually, Tell could delay until after Grigor's next turn and let Grigor carry some light closer to the ghoul, then he could single move in and throw a fireball. It would be better than guessing which square the ghoul is in. (Unlike shown on the map, Tell wouldn't know for sure which square the ghoul stopped in.)

EDIT: I just noticed that Grigor's shadowy vs. bright illumination is a little off. I punched out the light illumination one square too far south, but this doesn't change the example.

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-07, 09:03 AM
FYI, double moving does not prevent a creature from making attacks of opportunity.

clarifcation - I am referring to the creature that double moves, it is still capable of making AoO. This is in reference to AP's comment on the IC thread.

Another_Poet
2009-07-07, 09:43 AM
True, but I didn't move in such a way as to provoke AoOs so that doesn't worry me.

My point is that, due to my reach, the ghoul provokes an AoO from me even if it Withdraws. And if it runs or double moves, all the more so.

Lycar
2009-07-07, 04:02 PM
What occurs to me is that 2 PCs are forging reclessly ahead while the rest of the party hangs dangerously behind.

Don't you know, you never split the party? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ) :smalltongue:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-07, 07:17 PM
Sorry 'bout the delay. Independence Day weekend + extra work + appointments = Busy and Tired Windrider.

I'll try and get something up soon.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-09, 07:24 PM
Don't you know, you never split the party? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waa2ucfgVgQ) :smalltongue:
Yeah.

Even when you've got two different parties at two different dungeons. :smallwink:

[hr]
Okay, now that I actually look at the map, I'm still not seeing how you did not provoke an AoO pulling exactly next to the ghoul on the north-south axis. Running and Double Move do not deprive one of AoOs (otherwise the point would be moot with Tell's predicted AoO). One square to the north doesn't provoke, though, and it would still have the AoO advantage for Tell.

Given your stated intention, I'll adjust Tell's position unless you can tell me something I'm overlooking.

Also, don't forget your one hand has the flame. It doesn't do enough damage to overcome the chain's hardness, but let's not forget that.

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-10, 06:10 AM
running does however make you flatfooted, doesn't it? Tell has combat reflexes, I am assuming, which would allow him to make an AoO even if he runs.

However, I am pretty sure the ghoul double-moved, not ran, so.. moot point.

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-10, 06:16 AM
forgot to roll acid arrow damage for this turn.

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-10, 04:16 PM
running does however make you flatfooted, doesn't it?
No. It just makes you lose your Dex bonus to AC unless you have the Run feat. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/actionsInCombat.html#run) No other penalty in common with flat-footedness.

However, I am pretty sure the ghoul double-moved, not ran, so.. moot point.
Indeed. Running would not allow the ghoul to avoid an AoO from Grigor.

Lycar
2009-07-12, 06:11 AM
Uhm... didn't Tell get the part where Grigor told him that the scorpion can't touch him? :smallconfused:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-12, 09:01 AM
Oh, did you mean that literally? I thought it was a commentary on the scorpion's ineptitude.

tumble is a trained-only skill however. although I suppose he might have a half-rank, tumble being cross-class.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-12, 09:41 AM
Oh, did you mean that literally? I thought it was a commentary on the scorpion's ineptitude.
Yeah, Grigor gave Tell a protection from evil, which blocks contact from summoned creatures.

Of course, if the scorpion was actually called or teleported in… :smalltongue:

…And Tell could have, IC, made the same misinterpretation.

tumble is a trained-only skill however. although I suppose he might have a half-rank, tumble being cross-class.
But to be considered trained, you need a full rank. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/skills.html#skill-trained-only)

Another_Poet
2009-07-12, 11:31 PM
Correction made.

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-14, 05:33 AM
I am getting the same error AP is. Megiddo should be next to Grigor, since he moved forward.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-14, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I forgot. The default permissions on the folders I manually create are off. I have to remember to change permissions so the script can write to the proper location.

Another_Poet
2009-07-14, 11:56 PM
A rules question...

Premise: A character can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution score before risking suffocation (RAW).

Condition 1: A character has encountered ghouls previously or otherwise knows of their Stench ability.

Condition 2: A character is aware that he is about to approach a ghoul, or be approached by a ghoul.

Conclusion: The character can choose to hold his breath, avoiding the Stench ability with no penalties and no saving throw needed.

i can haz rules lawzyrs????

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-15, 05:37 AM
Simply holding one's breath wouldn't really seal the nasal passages. A strong stench should still be pretty nasty. If you have something to actually block your nose, I'd give a bonus on the save. I doubt there's much that would offer a 100% seal with protection enough for full immunity.

I'm not sure if the Scentbreaker alchemical item from Tome and Blood was ever updated in any 3.5 material, but I've played games in the past where we used that on ourselves to protect against Stench attacks.

Lycar
2009-07-15, 11:58 AM
Actually, Grigor ought to be 20 feet further south, right of where Tell was last turn. Otherwise Grigor could not have cast Protection from Evil on him anyway.

That way, at least Grigor can whack the scorpion too now, after adjusting a step to South-West, he even flanks.

:smalleek:Oh and I should mention that I will be on vacation from 21st July to 28th July and most probably not have internet access.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-07-15, 04:47 PM
Simply holding one's breath wouldn't really seal the nasal passages. A strong stench should still be pretty nasty. If you have something to actually block your nose, I'd give a bonus on the save. I doubt there's much that would offer a 100% seal with protection enough for full immunity.

Awww....

Okay I am buying a clothespin next time we're in town. If they exist in the medieval period - not sure about that.

ap

Lycar
2009-07-16, 03:37 PM
You mean you want to get yourself a +1 gear bonus on fortitude saves vs. inhaled irritants? :smalltongue:

Maybe earplugs for a +1 to saves vs. sonic effects while you're at it. :smallamused:

I wonder what such a clothespin would do to your WBL. Other save boosters go at 1000 gp for a +1 bonus... :smallbiggrin:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-07-16, 03:59 PM
If an attack deals damage with the Sonic energy type, I don't think ear protection will help. Those shock waves are powerful enough to wrack your entire body - at least that is how I take it.

But blockign your ears should be able to render you immune (or at least boost your save) versus bardic music effects, and other songs.

Skjaldbakka
2009-07-16, 05:29 PM
You could always just cast deafness on yourself.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-16, 06:58 PM
Okay I am buying a clothespin next time we're in town. If they exist in the medieval period - not sure about that.
Yeah, clothespins would be technologically anachronistic if this were set on earth. But then, Gnomes at least, often have a number of inventions more advanced than that.

Not saying they are available. Just that I'm possibly considering it.

I wonder what such a clothespin would do to your WBL. Other save boosters go at 1000 gp for a +1 bonus... :smallbiggrin:
A +1 resistance bonus to all saves at all times that the item—usually one that has little or no inconvenience when constantly worn—is worn runs 1,000 gp.

This is a mundane bonus to a single type of save against a very narrow type of effect provided by an item that is inconvenient to wear on a constant basis.

Another_Poet
2009-07-16, 10:24 PM
So I can't sell clothespins for 1,000 gp ea.?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-07-19, 05:07 PM
So I can't sell clothespins for 1,000 gp ea.?
…Mmmm, probably not. :smalltongue:

Lycar
2009-07-19, 06:34 PM
Since I'll be away from this tuesday to next, let us assume that Grigor will try to catch up with Tell and assist in dispatching the cleric?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-07-21, 11:39 AM
Hey Shhalahr, Tell will delay till after Megiddo. His action will depend on whether Meg brings down the wall or not. Can you let me know if his spell worked so I can decide my action?

Thanks

ap

Lycar
2009-07-28, 01:31 PM
I'm back.

Wow people, you really held back the last 8 days, just so that poor Grigor won't be let out of all the fun... :smallconfused:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-08-11, 06:42 AM
Mazes can cause problems in PbP games. I would recommend we either assume 'rule of right', or 'track the npc' (if any of us have tracking).

Lycar
2009-08-11, 12:20 PM
Agreed, plus people in heavy armour without any Escape Artist have a hard time squeezing through narrow tunnels.

And spiked chain wielders are kinda hosed too.

So, do we want to press on?

Lycar

Lycar
2009-08-17, 12:36 AM
*poke poke* Are we still playing this?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-08-17, 06:03 PM
I posted, I think we are waiting for Shhalahr Windrider

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-08-17, 07:42 PM
We have gone past page 50 in the IC thread. This means we need to start a new IC thread in order to reduce strain on the server.

Thread 2 is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121918.

Subscribe it and post all IC responses there. I have posted a similar announcement in the old IC thread.

Lycar
2009-08-24, 06:37 PM
So, are we going to check the rest of the level now?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-08-25, 06:44 PM
So, are we going to check the rest of the level now
Guess so. Was waiting for a more specific direction. Did you guys want to search the crypt first or check out the other tunnels, for example?

Another_Poet
2009-08-27, 12:57 PM
Here is what I propose as the search order:
A. The room with the Crypts (where we are now)
B. The room that appears to have a pool (tho we don't know that yet)
C. The diagonal hallway that juts to the SE just north of the pool room
D. The room with the tables and closets
E. The side-room to the west of (D)
F. The room east of the winch (with all the gnoll corpses)
G. The diamond-shaped room north of (F)
H. The areas west of the winch, that we checked last time we were here.

Here is the proposed methodology:
1) We make a quick circuit of all the rooms in the order above. Megiddo uses his many Detect... spells. Since we are moving quickly, one use of each spell should cover the whole dungeon (unless we are attacked, etc.).

2) We note the locations and schools/types of any auras along the way.

3) Once we have aura-scoped all areas, we go back through the rooms in the same order. This time we take 20 searching any piles of goods, any cabinets/boxes, any suspicious looking walls... etc. We are looking for hidden doors, hidden loot and false bottoms/backs of things.

That should just about cover us.

ap

Skjaldbakka
2009-08-28, 07:02 AM
Sounds good to me.

Lycar
2009-08-28, 08:39 PM
Yes, that ough to work just fine.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-08-28, 09:13 PM
1) We make a quick circuit of all the rooms in the order above. Megiddo uses his many Detect... spells. Since we are moving quickly, one use of each spell should cover the whole dungeon (unless we are attacked, etc.).
The detect spells require concentration, so you can't have more than one active at a time. Therefore, if you want to cover all alignments and magic on a single casting/charge each, you will need to make five circuits— One for each spell.

Skjaldbakka
2009-08-28, 10:04 PM
I don't have a problem with that

Lycar
2009-09-01, 12:55 AM
I strongly suggest looking down into that pit with the detection spells. :smalleek:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-02, 09:36 AM
Sorry guys, my Internet access sucks right now.

Lycar
2009-09-03, 04:26 AM
Any applicapble Know. skill to find out something about the reliefs?

Grigor has to offer Know. Arcana, History, Local and Religion.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-09, 04:39 PM
Oh, man, this thread never got marked as "unread" after that post, Lycar. Sorry I didn't respond, I just wasn't paying attention to the "Last Post" field on my subscribed threads.

The statue's supposed to be mysterious; I'll roll the check for you when I update later tonight so as not to spoil potential significance.

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-11, 06:33 AM
Got my internet back! I love my iphone, but it is still not as good as a keyboard for typing out stuff.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-11, 07:35 PM
Got your internet back? Yay!

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-16, 09:32 PM
Sorry for the delays on updates. I'm preparing some entries for a local photography contest, and that's been taking up my time. Should have time to update tomorrow night, I think.

Skjaldbakka
2009-09-17, 06:30 AM
No problem. Good luck on the contest!

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-09-20, 08:58 PM
I like how the elf finds the secret door. ;)
Naturally.

Also, he has the highest Int and, therefore, the highest untrained Search check. (And really, do these guys look like they have trained Search modifiers?)

And thanks for the luck wish. I got an honorable mention last year, so I'm figuring out what sells at these things. This year, I also entered a picutre that took first place in the local camera club's monthly contest and second place at the end-of-year. So I got a few things going for me.

Another_Poet
2009-09-29, 08:44 AM
Let me try this again.

[roll0]

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-01, 09:05 PM
Once again: Sorry for the lack of updates. Been committed to taking pictures at a local festival for inclusion in promotion of next year's festival. My schedule will clear up significantly in the next few weeks.

I'll be sure to have something up over the weekend.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-03, 04:22 PM
Can't say there was much point in moving silently after making all that racket breaking the wall down… :smallsigh:

[hr]
Oh, yeah, and as for that photo contest: out of 11 entries, I got two honorable mentions. One in Color Print, and one in Oktoberfest Theme. So it was all pretty good.

Lycar
2009-10-04, 05:29 AM
Hm. The map doesn't display for me. Did you change anything?

I do see our icons and the two cockatrices but no background tiles.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-04, 02:20 PM
Might be a caching issue.

Go to this: http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.net/images/moathouseDungeon.jpg

That is the map image. See if it loads for you when you access it directly. If not, hit reload/refresh. The browser should load the image and refresh its cache setting for the image.

Lycar
2009-10-05, 01:35 AM
I did try reloading the page several times to make sur it is not a caching issue. However, the problem seems to have solved itself, the map is displaying normally again by now.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-05, 05:13 AM
I did try reloading the page several times to make sur it is not a caching issue.
Well, I've had times where I've had to refresh the image directly and not just the page. I think when I force a refresh on a page, my browser, it only reloads the page data and still relies on old cache data for other content, such as the images. As such, simply reloading the page doesn't always work when the problem is just an image. I figured it might work the same for you.

Lycar
2009-10-19, 03:10 PM
Ugh, I'll make my to-hit roll here then:

[roll0]

Lycar

Lycar
2009-10-19, 03:14 PM
"You have to wait 60 seconds between posts..."

Well thanks a lot for eating my roll. :smallyuk:

:smallsigh: Let's try that again:

Attack: [roll0]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-10-31, 02:13 PM
Happy Halloween everybody!

Another_Poet
2009-11-02, 09:28 AM
Happy Halloween everybody!

WOOHOO! And right back at you. :)

Another_Poet
2009-11-09, 06:00 PM
Other than the Death Maze and the Pit of Death, are there any other unexplored areas?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-09, 06:19 PM
Just the area where the passage in the southeast corner runs off the map.

Lycar
2009-11-12, 06:30 PM
Tell betters tells the others that whatver he is trying to attract is friendly.

Won't want his frog-friend to be turned into a hedgehog via multiple arrows. :smallwink:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-11-12, 09:05 PM
When a druid makes frog noises and a frog appears, you can generally assume the best.

Unless you recently stole the druid's lunch.

Lycar
2009-11-16, 05:35 PM
Let me put it this way: When a Druid does anything, it is usually bad news for someone. :smallamused:

Lycar

Lycar
2009-11-24, 05:21 PM
Sorry for slow posting. I am currently on sick leave, taking penicilen and spending most of my time in bed, drifting in and out of sleep and dreaming weird stuff.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-25, 08:51 AM
Sorry for slow posting. I am currently on sick leave, taking penicilen and spending most of my time in bed, drifting in and out of sleep and dreaming weird stuff.
Well, Get Well Soon, then.

Lycar
2009-11-28, 08:50 AM
So I'm a lot better already. Lots of bed rest does help to recover after all, who would have thoght.

However, I should notify you that I will be on vacation form 5th Dec to 19th. Dec. Just that you know.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-11-30, 09:13 AM
Gotta apologize for the lack of updates. I've been a little ill myself. Combine that with Thanksgiving activity, and, things aren't going very far.

I'll see about getting something up later today.

Skjaldbakka
2009-11-30, 08:06 PM
FYI: I am getting shafted by the new shift bid at work, so I will try to keep up as best I can, but my shift ends after the last bus, so for the next three weeks I get to walk home most nights. Then there is a new shift bid, so we will see how that goes.

Another_Poet
2009-11-30, 11:44 PM
Well, that's three people with spotty posting now or soon - but I just wanna put it out there that I am still here, and willing to be patient while people sort their schedules/take vacation/whatever. We've had this group going for a long time and I personally love it, so no worries - we'll keep it going one way or another.

ap

Lycar
2009-12-02, 12:19 PM
Even though I'll be on vacation from 5th to 19th December, I still shoud have internet access during this time. Can't guarantee daily posting is all.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-02, 10:09 PM
Well, I don't think we've really had daily posting from anyone, myself included, for a while. So that's not much of a problem. :smalltongue:

Lycar
2009-12-03, 06:36 PM
Seems like everybody said his piece.

Let the night ambush commence! :smallamused:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2009-12-08, 09:43 AM
I have two questions for you, Shhalahr...

First, do you happen to know how close we are to leveling? I bet me must be getting close by now...

Second, when we do level do you mind if I retrain 1 (or 2) feat(s)?

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-09, 12:01 PM
First, do you happen to know how close we are to leveling? I bet me must be getting close by now...
Yeah, I've been neglecting to tell you what you've got for XP.

Right now, I've got you all as having earned 4,223 xp. That should put you at less than 1,500 to go for levelling.

Figure on a story award once you wrap up on the Moathouse, too. You're pretty close.

Second, when we do level do you mind if I retrain 1 (or 2) feat(s)?
You can retrain one feat as per the PHB2 rules for retraining.

Another_Poet
2009-12-09, 12:03 PM
Thank you. As I recall that takes both gold pieces and time (weeks). I'm happy to pay the gp, but I doubt we'll have weeks of downtime - would it be okay to handwave that part if I put a nice "training montage" in the IC thread at the time it comes up?

Also - the 4,223 includes XP for defeating Utreshomon? I could be wrong but I don't think Grigor was part of the party for that. There may have been another encounter too - not sure if we get any XP for "overcoming" the giant frog :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-09, 12:09 PM
Thank you. As I recall that takes both gold pieces and time (weeks). I'm happy to pay the gp, but I doubt we'll have weeks of downtime - would it be okay to handwave that part if I put a nice "training montage" in the IC thread at the time it comes up?

Player's Handbook II[/i], p. 194"]In general, retraining feats is assumed to be a background activity, just like normal level increases are.
The time and money costs are only listed for campaigns that use the training costs for leveling in general. I don't like complicating that process, so I don't use it. The retraining simply happens as part of the leveling process. For you guys, that'll probably just happen over the course of a day as you journey back to Hommlet from the Moathouse.

Another_Poet
2009-12-09, 12:12 PM
Not sure if you saw this since I edited it in and you answered the other question quickly.

Also - the 4,223 includes XP for defeating Utreshomon? I could be wrong but I don't think Grigor was part of the party for that. There may have been another encounter too - not sure if we get any XP for "overcoming" the giant frog :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-09, 12:19 PM
Also - the 4,223 includes XP for defeating Utreshomon? I could be wrong but I don't think Grigor was part of the party for that.
Yeah, it includes Utreshimon. Grigor came in late, so I'm throwing him a bone with Kajiki's share of the Utreshimon XP. On the other side of the equation, I'm not counting the fate cleric's presence against the XP earned from the gnolls and ghouls you encountered before he disappeared. :smallwink:

If the fate cleric was still around, I'd probably keep it more strict.

There may have been another encounter too - not sure if we get any XP for "overcoming" the giant frog :)
The frog could have eaten Kajiki. But, thanks to the expenditure of a spell, he didn't. It counts. (Sure, it wasn't much of a challenge, but then giant frogs aren't CR 6 anyway.)

Another_Poet
2009-12-09, 12:32 PM
Cool, thanks for keeping such careful tabs on it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-14, 11:45 AM
Haven’t adjusted the light source notes on the map. I’ll do that next time I make an update. I don't want to throw on an extra change right now. :smallsigh:

Skjaldbakka
2009-12-21, 09:53 AM
Happy Holidays guys.

Another_Poet
2009-12-21, 12:10 PM
Right back at you!

It was cloudy today so I didn't really get to watch the Solstice sunrise. But I still made offerings and took the morning off from work :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-22, 12:58 PM
Happy Holidays guys.
Ditto! :smallbiggrin:

Lycar
2009-12-22, 04:54 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting. Didn't realize I didn't actually state any actions for Grigor, apart from him picking up his sword and bow.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-31, 11:20 AM
Happy New Year, everyone! :biggrin: :cool:

Another_Poet
2009-12-31, 11:35 AM
And a happy new year right back!

Also, a procedural question.

Shall we really proceed to move round-by-round all the way until we get to the source of the noise? Or could we ff to getting there?

I need to slay things. :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-12-31, 12:03 PM
We haven’t rolled for initiative quite yet. Haven’t had a chance to determine the level of awareness the folks that made the noise are of you guys.

Question is: how far are you willing to get from the group (Eckhard’s suggested waiting up for the others), and are you carrying a light source?

Another_Poet
2009-12-31, 12:15 PM
I'm willing to go as far as it takes as long as we know we're heading toward the direction the noise came from.

I don't have a light source but Grigor said he is following and he has his lamp helmet.

Lycar
2009-12-31, 11:31 PM
Grigor wears his helmet with lamp. Or at lest he should have put it on. I consider it to be more a part of gear then armour at this point, seeing that he didn't have time to suit up properly.

Then again, I didn't explicitly write that he grabbed anything beside his sword and bow, so... :smallconfused:

Also: Happy new year everybody! :smallsmile:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-01-01, 03:44 AM
Happy New Year!

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-05, 11:58 AM
Then again, I didn't explicitly write that he grabbed anything beside his sword and bow, so... :smallconfused:
Eh, Grigor’s got it.

If he’s grabbing a bow, what about arrows? :smalltongue:

Lycar
2010-01-06, 01:30 AM
Uhm... let's say that 'bow (and arrows)' just got shorthanded to 'bow'? :smalleek:

I mean, forgetting one's helmet is one thing, but forgetting about arrows being needed for bows...

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-01-06, 02:45 AM
Can you cover your light with one hand or is it hot to the touch?

Lycar
2010-01-08, 04:19 PM
The helmet lamp is of the 'Everburning' variety and thus sheds light but no heat. Just that Grigor apparently forgot to put it on when arming himself for what he expected to be a night attack.

Well, it can still become a night attack, just the other way around.

Remember that evil clerics tend to regain their spells at dusk though...

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-08, 04:48 PM
The helmet lamp is of the 'Everburning' variety and thus sheds light but no heat. Just that Grigor apparently forgot to put it on when arming himself for what he expected to be a night attack.
Nah, I said “He’s got it.” Otherwise, the militia has all the light sources right now.

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-08, 10:18 PM
Ah, heatless light. Dead physicists would be turning in their graves right now, except they know bodies at rest tend to stay at rest.

Another_Poet
2010-01-09, 12:20 AM
Technically, all light is heatless.

(That's not true. I made that up. But it sounds good with "technically" in front of it.)

Lycar
2010-01-09, 10:25 PM
Nah, I said “He’s got it.” Otherwise, the militia has all the light sources right now.

Oh, misunderstanding on my side. I thought, when I said 'since I didn't specify Grigor puts it on, he doesn't have it?' and your answer was 'Yes, you got that right: Didn't say he picked it up so he didn't'.

Oh well. Time to kill the lights then.

Lycar

Lycar
2010-01-11, 12:40 PM
Okay people, the bad guy cleric can see in the dark and so will stumble right upon Tell.

What I want to do, but not without asking for consent. is for Grigor to step into the corridor, open the shutter on the helmet lamp and start shooting arrows.

Ideally, the light should ruin the bad guy's Darkvision and allow Tell to remain hidden and/or attack from surprise. Maybe even get into the back of the evil cleric.

Thoughts?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-12, 11:50 PM
My thoughts are, we let Tell wreck guy #1, then let him move in and wreck guy #2, and sit back and watch.

What?! I'm outta spells here.

Another_Poet
2010-01-13, 01:01 AM
No, I wouldn't step out yet. Even if I had rolled a 1 on Hide he couldn't see me till he's in chain range. It's the perfect setup if we just let him walk into it.

Tell will give a shout when it's time to attack. If we all jump out at once then your light will let me make my first attack with surprise but without worrying about missing due to concealment.

Another_Poet
2010-01-15, 02:25 AM
So Shhalahr, does this guy fall for it or what? Can we commence the murderin'?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-15, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to make sure Skja and Lycar had nothing left to add.

Lycar
2010-01-15, 07:08 PM
Tell will give a shout when it's time to attack. If we all jump out at once then your light will let me make my first attack with surprise but without worrying about missing due to concealment.

Would be nice. Grigor's lamp has a reach of 20', or 40' for shadowy illumination. Which is just enough to light up the squares south of Tell. That is still a 20% miss chance.

On the plus side, this should also go for the evil cleric since even shadowy illumination cancels out darkvision. So ironically, with bad light you see worse then with no light with darkvision... :smalltongue:

Also: Arrow attack: , dmg.: [roll1d6+2, miss chance [roll1]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-15, 09:16 PM
On the plus side, this should also go for the evil cleric since even shadowy illumination cancels out darkvision.
Sorry, but…

DARKVISION

Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature. Darkvision is black and white only (colors cannot be discerned). It does not allow characters to see anything that they could not see otherwise — invisible objects are still invisible, and illusions are still visible as what they seem to be. Likewise, darkvision subjects a creature to gaze attacks normally. The presence of light does not spoil darkvision.

(emphasis mine)

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-15, 10:03 PM
I almost feel like I should roll to see if I keep a straight face.

also for future reference, spells cast during the rest period that I won't get back now includes : light (x1)

also my last light spell. leaves me with a burning hands and a scorching ray until we finish resting.

Lycar
2010-01-16, 05:41 AM
Sorry, but…

:smalleek:

... must have been a houserule then... :smallredface:

Oh well, that makes Darkvision a lot more useful I guess. Especially for rogues who want to get in their stabbies in dark(ish) alleys...

Also: ... the wizard in the middle, where he can shed some light... :smalltongue:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-16, 10:58 AM
There are several races with darkvision that take penalties in bright light.

Another_Poet
2010-01-18, 01:28 PM
I had delayed so I could act after Megiddo or Grigor turned on a light, not so I could do nothing the entire round. Is it possible to take my action retroactively? I should be between Meg and the reptile in init order.

(I realise I didn't post over the weekend but I was camping in a snow cave :smallsmile: )

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-19, 10:17 AM
I had delayed so I could act after Megiddo or Grigor turned on a light, not so I could do nothing the entire round. Is it possible to take my action retroactively? I should be between Meg and the reptile in init order.
Uh, I was under the impression you were still going to attack the cleric. If there was something else you wanted to do, I suppose we could go and do it.

Another_Poet
2010-01-19, 11:31 AM
edited:

Ah, I missed this when I first read it:

jumps around the corner and attacks. (( Using the previous roll pluss miss chance: 1d100=69 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2376695/); Hit )) Tell's chain strikes the cleric squarely in the chest.

That was exactly what I meant. Sorry, at first I didn't see it and I thought you skipped my turn thinking I was still delaying. Sorry for being a trouble-maker. I'll get my new round's action up in a moment.

Another_Poet
2010-01-27, 12:03 PM
Thanks Lycar!

I'm not sure when the new round starts but I look forward to making a new will save when my turn comes up...

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-27, 10:14 PM
"I am Completely Out of Ammo. That's never happened to me before."

Ammo in this instance being spells and power points.

I am down 0th, a 1st, and a 2nd level spell when we re-mem spells in the morning.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-28, 08:57 AM
"I am Completely Out of Ammo. That's never happened to me before."
Cheer up, Burt.

Yeah, you haven’t had much chance to rest up. Wasn’t counting on you guys being quite so aggressive. But then even with your injuries, I don’t think Ton’s going to trouble you much longer. Denying the other team actions doesn’t help much if he uses all his actions doing that.

Sorry about not getting the sonic damage note in.

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-28, 09:33 AM
HP and AC now display "see sig for current hp/ac"

Another_Poet
2010-01-28, 10:48 AM
Wasnít counting on you guys being quite so aggressive.

Are you trying to make me lol out of my chair?

I'm sure there's a Blackadder quote that summarizes up the typical PC policy on aggression but I'm not up for youtubing it while I'm at work.

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-28, 11:01 AM
"Now, I'm afraid there is going to have to be a certain amount of ... violence."

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-28, 11:53 AM
I'm sure there's a Blackadder quote that summarizes up the typical PC policy on aggression but I'm not up for youtubing it while I'm at work.
Well, I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that your hp managed to not go the way of Megiddo’s spells and PP. I thought you might just be at that low point of resources that overrides even typical PC aggression.

‘Specially after you so keenly observed that the clerics probably had full spells back. Full Spells vs. No Spells? Usually not something you want to run when you’re No Spells.

But then it turns out that in the case of the reptile it was Full HP vs. Half HP. Ah, well.

Anyway, I’ve put up the new update. Edited it into my last IC post, so be sure to check it.

Lycar
2010-01-28, 02:55 PM
Thanks Lycar!

Don't mention it. I am sure Tell would do the same thing for Grigor.

Right? :smallwink: Right? :smallconfused: Right?! :smalleek:

And our arcanist running out of spells means one of two things:

A) He sucks at being Batman/God or
B) with the right encounter design, a DM can make mages run dry. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-01-28, 03:35 PM
Don't mention it. I am sure Tell would do the same thing for Grigor.

Right? :smallwink: Right? :smallconfused: Right?! :smalleek:

Definitely!

And our arcanist running out of spells means one of two things:

A) He sucks at being Batman/God or
B) with the right encounter design, a DM can make mages run dry. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Aww maybe he's just a Noir batman who always gets roughed up before he solves the case.

Skjaldbakka
2010-01-28, 10:59 PM
Ah, but I'm not playing an arcanist, I'm playing an archer... kind of .. sort of... maybe if you squint.

Another_Poet
2010-01-29, 02:14 PM
Oop. Here are the rolls.

Attack*
[roll0] +2 flank +2 bane -2 pwr atk
[roll1] +4 pwr attack
[roll2] extra bane damage

AoO if provoked*
[roll3] +2 flank +2 bane -2 pwr atk
[roll4] +4 pwr attack
[roll5] extra bane damage

*If target is not human let me know and I will adjust.

Lycar
2010-01-31, 04:56 PM
And now the age-old question: Keep one alive for interrogation or not?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-02-01, 10:11 AM
Ha, I popsted IC before I read this... sorry, hope you don't mine me taking the proactive approach :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-01, 11:28 AM
I will point out that coups de grace to provoke Attacks of Opportunity. So if Grigor or Megiddo want to stop Tell, they could try to grapple Tell (to grab him away from the potential prisoner) or engage in some other AoO-equivalent action to stop him.

Oh, and Coups are automatic crits, so shouldn't there be an extra 2d4+4 on the damage and DC? (Not that it matters. This guy’s clearly already at -1 or lower, he dies at -10, and you’re dealing over 24 damage. Do the math.)

Another_Poet
2010-02-01, 11:32 AM
Although don't you need Improved Grapple to grapple on an AoO?

No that it matters. If someone jumps to stop Tell as he's wrapping the chain around the guy, he will stop.

But yeah. Here's the extra damage [roll0] (just for splatter effect)

edit: thus raising the save DC to 45 :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-01, 01:33 PM
Although don't you need Improved Grapple to grapple on an AoO?
Hm.

I suppose if you consider the grab part as being part of an unarmed strike (as you are actually attacking with your body part), then you don’t threaten with that. There’s nothing I find that makes that explicit. But for consistency, you’re probably right.

Conceptually, it seems rather silly. Of course, that goes for just punching the distracted guy as well. Do you really have to be a trained pugilist to do that? One of the silly things about D&D rules, I guess.

Another_Poet
2010-02-01, 02:03 PM
Hm.

I suppose if you consider the grab part as being part of an unarmed strike (as you are actually attacking with your body part), then you donít threaten with that.

I was thinking you couldn't do it because grappling would itself provoke an AoO if you don't have Improved Grapple. Otherwise it would be:

Tell: I'm gonna Coup de Grace him!
Grigor: I'm gonna AoO you (chooses to grapple)!
Tell: I'm gonna AoO you (chooses to grapple)!
Megiddo: Whoa, don't hurt my buddy - I'm gonna AoO you, Grigor! (chooses to grapple)

ad nauseum :)

Which actually would be pretty awesome. Especially once we're all in a grapple pile and every hit has a 50% chance of hitting the wrong person. 2 hours later 3 exhausted PCs wake up in a sweaty heap, recovered from their subdual damage and wondering a) how drunk did we get and b) was I on the top or the bottom?

Anyway like I said if Grigor or Meg say they try to stop me, I accede and delay my neck-snapping.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-01, 05:35 PM
I was thinking you couldn't do it because grappling would itself provoke an AoO if you don't have Improved Grapple. Otherwise it would be:

Tell: I'm gonna Coup de Grace him!
Grigor: I'm gonna AoO you (chooses to grapple)!
Tell: I'm gonna AoO you (chooses to grapple)!
Megiddo: Whoa, don't hurt my buddy - I'm gonna AoO you, Grigor! (chooses to grapple)
Yeah, that’s actually how it does play out. (FAQ, pg. 66-67 confirms without any contradictions, RAW or internal.)

One that can definitely happen is on disarming or tripping with a weapon, since you are using a weapon you do threaten with.

“I’ll disarm you!”
“Not if I disarm you first!”
“I’ll just cut your hand (counter-AoO), and then disarm you!”

Could get really interesting with high Dex characters that have Combat Reflexes.

Another_Poet
2010-02-01, 09:55 PM
Actually it gets even more interesting when no one has combat reflexes. Observe this possibility:

Rogue: I'll CdG
Fighter: No way! I use my AoO to grapple you!
Rogue: You don't have Improved Grapple! I'll use my AoO to trip you!
Fighter: You don't have Improved Trip! I hit you with my bastard sword for my AoO!

Since the bastard sword AoO is resolved first, the fighter has no AoO with which to then try to grapple the rogue (after the Trip is resolved). But if the fighter isn't trying to grapple the Rogue then none of the other AoOs took place at all, including the bastard sword.

LOOP!

I bet the board's optimizers could find a way to use this to get Mephistopheles permanently frozen in a causality loop, but I'm afraid to find out how.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-01, 10:41 PM
Actually it gets even more interesting when no one has combat reflexes. Observe this possibility:

Rogue: I'll CdG
Fighter: No way! I use my AoO to grapple you!
Rogue: You don't have Improved Grapple! I'll use my AoO to trip you!
Fighter: You don't have Improved Trip! I hit you with my bastard sword for my AoO!
Although the Grapple wouldn’t be resolved until later, it’s still using up his available AoO.

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-02, 12:41 AM
Indeed that is amusing. I have always personally ruled that you can't use an attack action that would provoke an AoO as an AoO, but that is not the case by RAW. What is also amusing is that the trip doesn't counter the grapple, you have to deal damage.

no intention of stopping the coup de grace, although if given the opportunity, I would move out of splatter distance.

I find it amusing that the cleric is like "woah, I'm out of my armor, I should stay back" meanwhile, the 'arcanist' circles around to flank with his bad self.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-02, 09:51 AM
All right. Just waiting for Grigor’s reaction then.

Another_Poet
2010-02-02, 10:20 AM
What is also amusing is that the trip doesn't counter the grapple, you have to deal damage.

Although being tripped would impose a -4 penalty (prone) on the melee touch attack to initiate the grapple.

Lycar
2010-02-02, 01:48 PM
I find it amusing that the cleric is like "woah, I'm out of my armor, I should stay back" meanwhile, the 'arcanist' circles around to flank with his bad self.

Barring CoDzilla builds, clerics kinda are supposed to be a support class. And if you are squishy, then you don't exactly support your party by getting yourself killed.

Grigor may like to mix it up close and personal with his sword but that doesn't mean he is willing to suffer unneccessary pain for the privilege.

He is not a masochist. Wrong god for that. :smallwink:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-03, 02:49 PM
If anyone wants to refresh me in the OOC thread about what we saw here earlier, I'd appreciate it. If not I can always look through the old posts.
Most relevant posts: Post 8, Thread 2
Post 11
Post 13

Summary: The pool on the illustrated map was an open pit at least 70 ft. deep, with an underground stream pouring water into it. Along the wall was a block of stone with four differently-colored relief images on it as well as a large stone disc. A wooden platform and pulley system set up around the pit. Excavation tools were also scattered around the floor.

Another_Poet
2010-02-04, 01:08 PM
Thank you!

Lycar
2010-02-09, 01:56 PM
So the night finishes without further interruptions then?

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-11, 11:39 AM
Sorry for the delay.

Combination wanting to give Meg and Grigor a chance to chime in on the pit ‘n’ water situation and a bit of reduced computer time. I’ve been spending too much time on the computer, and my eyes and wrist have been complaining. So I need to severely cut back on my wired time while I heal up. What little time I can afford kinda needs to be geared towards job search and skills training*.

I’ll try and get an update up soon, though. Short of it: Yeah, night passes safely. Haunor will be asking if any of you have the magic to send a message to Elmo. If you guys have any last minute details that pop in your head, now’s the time to mention ‘em.

[hr]
* Speaking of which: Any chance any of you are familiar with Adobe Flex MXML language? I’ve been having trouble finding good tutorials.

Another_Poet
2010-02-11, 11:39 PM
Other than preparing spells I don't have anything special. I'll check and see if I have any spells that can send a message but I am not sure I will spend the slot even if I do. I believe I am preparing a helluva lot of excavation type spells.

BTW the wrist brace dealy helps a little for carpal tunnel, however, check your posture when sleeping. Although it seems common sense that a lot of typing or other fine wrist movements would aggravate carpal tunnel, doctors can't actually come up with any evidence correlating those two factors.

What they do know for sure is that the vast majority of carpal tunnel sufferers end up bending their wrist in some manner while sleeping (even if they're not when they first fall asleep, they may shift to a different posture whole asleep) and that this is frequently the cause of the problem.

After about a month of wearing my wrist brace while typing I saw no improvement. One night I took the wooden handle of a spatula and put it inside my brace so that my wrist couldn't bend at all. The next morning I saw noticeable improvement. About a week or two of that and I had no further carpal tunnel symptoms. After getting used to sleeping with my hands straight I was able to ditch the brace & spatula stick and continue to not have problems.

May or may not help you, but I thought I'd share.

All I know about MXML is that it's got some pretty bad Roman numeral usage.

:)

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-16, 08:53 AM
Okay, wrist is pretty well okay, and eyes are almost there. Just gotta take longer screen breaks.

All I know about MXML is that it's got some pretty bad Roman numeral usage.
:tongue:

Another_Poet
2010-02-16, 12:33 PM
Okay guys, I am preparing 3 Soften Earth and Stone's and 2 Detect Snares & Pits.

The plan is I scope the way ahead for traps with the Detect spell, then turn a wall to clay so we can bypass any traps we do find. I can soften up to 3 segments of wall, essentially.

However! It it's important to us, I can give up one of the Soften Earth's for an Animal Messenger who could contact the village for Haunor.

What do you guys prefer?

Lycar
2010-02-16, 03:00 PM
Okay, Shhalahr?

I am not aware of any 1st to 3rd level Cleric spell that would do that. But hey, all the spells in the rulebooks are just suggestions anyway.

Any chance Olidamarra happens to feel like granting Grigor a spell that does the trick? :smallsmile:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-16, 04:21 PM
Okay, Shhalahr?

I am not aware of any 1st to 3rd level Cleric spell that would do that. But hey, all the spells in the rulebooks are just suggestions anyway.

Any chance Olidamarra happens to feel like granting Grigor a spell that does the trick? :smallsmile:
Well, although Haunor is asking Grigor directly, he’s not necessarily hinting that the spell has to come from Grigor specifically. He was asking you as a representative of your team.

But, I can make a quick check through splatbooks tonight for any useful Cleric spells. Otherwise, Another Poet has mentioned one Druid spell option.

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-17, 03:22 PM
Honestly, Animal Messenger is probably our best bet.

Lycar
2010-02-17, 06:33 PM
Yes but that is an arcane spell. Does anybody have that?

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-17, 09:39 PM
Pretty sure it is Druid also. If not -bawuhuh?

Another_Poet
2010-02-18, 12:34 AM
I can prepare it but we'll have one less Soften Earth & Stone. Is it worth it? Group vote please.

ap

Lycar
2010-02-18, 02:15 PM
Heh, if you ask Grigor: Do the NPC a favour. After all, they are fighting along our side. And one of their own already met a gruesome fate on our behalf.

And hey, if we can't beat that damn labyrinth for the want of a single spell... then we really aren't much of an adventuring party, are we? :smallamused:

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-20, 07:14 AM
Yeah, send the messenger.

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-21, 11:50 AM
I just got around to watching the presentation for the iPad, and I am very impressed. Horrible choice of name, but the potential as a tool for tabletop games is awesome.

Lycar
2010-02-21, 12:21 PM
Does it have a touchscreen? Can metal figurines also trigger the screen? Then there are a number of interesting possibilities.

How large is the screen?

Oh and also: If Tell offers to cast a spell on behalf of Haunor, Grigor will gladly help with writing the message. It needs to fit on a small piece of parchment anyway.

Lycar

Skjaldbakka
2010-02-26, 06:20 AM
Local and History seem like right knowledge skills for that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-02-26, 11:42 AM
Local and History seem like right knowledge skills for that.
History for ancient coins. Local for current mintages.

Lycar
2010-03-01, 06:08 PM
So Grigor examines the scroll. Anything he can make of it?

Lycar

Lycar
2010-03-05, 12:37 PM
Okay, Spellcraft check to make sense of the scroll: [roll0]

Also, Grigor does not have a rope on his equipment list.

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-03-05, 12:47 PM
If Megiddo and the militia don't either, I'll go in without it. The sides are probably climbable and it not I can wait till it fills up :)

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-03-08, 09:36 AM
…I can wait till it fills up :)
It took all night to fill up the first 10 or so feet. That’s a lot of treading water…

Lycar
2010-03-08, 12:58 PM
So, anything from the Spellcraft check on the scroll?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-03-08, 03:12 PM
How climbable do the sides look?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-03-08, 05:31 PM
The side opposite the waterfall looks just dry enough to not be particularly slippery. The texture is the equivalent of unworked stone (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#walls) (DC 15).

Now that I look at your Climb skill, I realize you could take 10 successfully. Alright, I guess Tell’s going down there. If he can get some light anyway.

Lycar
2010-03-14, 10:51 AM
So, does Tell's diving expedition turn up any results?

Lycar

Another_Poet
2010-03-18, 12:59 PM
Heads up:

I will be on meditation retreat March 20-31 and won't check my games at all. I will try to post a final update to each of my games on or before the 20th, but being so busy getting ready I can't promise one.

The DM has permission to run, ignore or NPC my character. If any serious decisions need to be made I defer to Megiddo/Skjald.

Thanks guys, sorry for the disappearance but I'll be back and ready to game by April 1.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-03-18, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys, sorry for the disappearance but I'll be back and ready to game by April 1.
All right.

Have Fun! :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-20, 04:46 PM
Hope you guys will excuse the delay. I have a job interview tomorrow, and head’s not quite in the game, even when I have a few minutes to spare between rounds of interview prep.

Another_Poet
2010-04-20, 06:13 PM
Good luck my friend!

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-04-30, 02:40 PM
Good luck my friend!
That luck didn’t come through. Got the rejection letter yesterday.

Is Grigor gonna do anything?

Lycar
2010-04-30, 03:39 PM
Aaand, since in D&D, magic effects are colour-coded for convenience, we know that black + purple = icky-bad. :smallamused:

That reminds we: When I played the original Neverwinter Nights, the fact that the 'blessings' the evil priests were handing out triggered a red spell effect was setting off all alarms already... :smalltongue:

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-09, 09:02 PM
Öhe must contend with fighting on a rickety, dangling platformÖ
Uh, isnít grigor just tied up directly? They havenít made the hole large enough to use the platform. Hence Tell using spider climb and Megiddo staying on top.

Lycar
2010-05-13, 03:44 PM
Hrmph, thats whta you get when there is so much time between turns.

Fine, post corrected.

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-13, 09:26 PM
Just wanted to make sure the difference didnít change your plan of activity.

Lycar
2010-05-14, 07:11 AM
*sigh* And just because we can't correct our posts and make the roller roll, here are 3 damage rolls (being optimistic here).

1: Damage [roll0]
3: Damage [roll1]
5: Damage [roll2]

Skjaldbakka
2010-05-14, 07:47 AM
roll to confirm, first roll was a 19:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Skjaldbakka
2010-05-15, 11:26 AM
Cool, I can open spoilers on this forum from my iPhone now. Did not used to be able to do that.

Another_Poet
2010-05-18, 12:03 AM
Hi guys. I will be going into surgery for a broken ankle tomorrow (Tuesday). This means I will be unavailable to post until Wed or Thurs, maybe later; but once I am back I will be on the computer all day every day for a week or two. Sorry for the absence but hopefully I'll be extra active when I get back!

Tell will continue his scouting and try to go around rather than fight if he encounters any more critters. DM may autopilot in any way he sees fit.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-18, 05:37 AM
Hi guys. I will be going into surgery for a broken ankle tomorrow (Tuesday).
Ouch!

Best wishes. Hope your ankle heals up quick.

Lycar
2010-05-18, 12:14 PM
Heh, good luck with the surgery. Get well soon. :)

Also, now that Grigor isn't under immediate attack, maybe he can search his braincells for clues about those purple tentacle thingies.

Know. Arcana: [roll0]

Spellcraft: [roll1]

Lycar

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-20, 09:08 PM
Welcome back, Poet! So did all go well with the surgery? All on the mend now?

Now someone who follows Olidamarra's teachings knows all too well that luck is like a piece of soap. Use it too often and you run out...
I really like this saying.

Another_Poet
2010-05-21, 02:35 PM
Surgery went well. Mending is slow, and I'm mostly on bed rest.

Another_Poet
2010-05-22, 03:34 PM
Got this msg when trying to update my map location:

Warning: fopen(./maps/obeliskchamber/turn1.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /f2/dfalpha/public/module/writemap.php on line 13
Error Creating File "./maps/obeliskchamber/turn1.xml"

I'm going back to painkiller-aided sleep... feel free to adjust my location as needed. Just put me somewhere i can try to take advantage of my reach.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-22, 07:23 PM
Aw, Hell.

I always forget to change the folder permissions when I add them. Need to get to work on the 1.0 functionality for that thing.

At this point, you can probably assume that error will pop up on the first change whenever I add a new map. I always forget. :smallsigh:

Another_Poet
2010-05-23, 12:03 AM
lol. Has I caused murder?

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-23, 09:21 PM
lol. Has I caused murder?
Not yet.

Kind of feeling bad about the fly curveball negating that bit of thoughtfulness with all those pre-rolls. I really did apreciate them. Thought Tell would win initiative and be able to disarm the potion as an AoO, actually. (I rolled the armored dudeís initiative first, so I knew Tell had a good chance of beating it.) Then they would have come in handy. Ah, well.