PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (OOC)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-09, 09:29 AM
Re: Your avatar...

Tenser's floating Disc is really useful for keeping these loot/treasure/gift sacks afloat, isn't it. :smallwink:
That it is.

Skjaldbakka
2011-12-14, 09:50 PM
Did we take any keys from Jaroo or his accomplices that look like they might fit this lock?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-15, 08:50 PM
(( Since I forgot the chest, I probably forgot the key. So whether or not I told you you have a likely key back then, you do now. Yay, Retconjuration! ))

Lycar
2011-12-16, 01:27 PM
It is said that conjuration is one of the, if not the most powerful schools of magic.

Retconjuration beats even that. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-20, 10:53 AM
Hey, didnít really notice which thread I was posting in. Yay, unnecessary OOC parentheses!

Lycar
2011-12-23, 08:15 AM
Also, it was a while since it came up, ...
Yes, a while. Just a year ago or so. :smallyuk:

But thanks for jogging our memories. Which reminds me: Are you planning to recruit some more people eventually?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-23, 09:19 AM
Yes, a while. Just a year ago or so. :smallyuk:

But thanks for jogging our memories. Which reminds me: Are you planning to recruit some more people eventually?
Probably would be a good idea, wouldnít it?

Letís hold of until after the new year. Otherwise we might miss out on potential candidates who arenít posting during the holidays.

Skjaldbakka
2011-12-24, 10:43 AM
Has it been 67 hours since the original fight at Jaroo's house yet, or will it be by the time we are approaching the moathouse?

Edit - Since I've been running Tell for awhile, I'm switching him over to a character sheet on coyotecode.net, so I can update the sheet as needed.

Did AP take something to replace the animal companion?
Also, do you know what this entry is?
Mystery potion flask, full (Faint conjuration, possibly healing)

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-26, 02:15 PM
Has it been 67 hours since the original fight at Jaroo's house yet, or will it be by the time we are approaching the moathouse?
Been a couple of hours. Not seven.

It takes a little over seven hours to reach the moathouse on foot, it will be late at night by the time you get there if you leave now.

Edit - Since I've been running Tell for awhile, I'm switching him over to a character sheet on coyotecode.net, so I can update the sheet as needed.

Did AP take something to replace the animal companion?
Yeah, he had the Shapechange ACF from Playerís Handbook 2. Do you need the info on that?

Also, do you know what this entry is?
Mystery potion flask, full (Faint conjuration, possibly healing)
Looks like a potion you never got around to identifying. Having Megiddo take 10 on Spellcraft would reveal a potion of cure moderate wounds.

Lycar
2012-01-02, 12:46 PM
I suspect it will take Elmo, Grigor and the others a while to catch up...?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-02, 09:22 PM
I suspect it will take Elmo, Grigor and the others a while to catch up...?
A little bit.

Iíll try to resolve this bit in as few posts as possible. Unfortunately, Iím going to have to figure out how well the plot works, and Iím a bit distracted prepping for a job interview I have tomorrow. Iíll see if I can get an update up tomorrow night.

Skjaldbakka
2012-01-04, 08:53 PM
Tell never approaches the mule, and doesn't land within the light of their campfire, so I'm not sure how he could have been spotted. That was the entire purpose of using speak with animals.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-05, 10:34 AM
Tell never approaches the mule, and doesn't land within the light of their campfire, so I'm not sure how he could have been spotted. That was the entire purpose of using speak with animals.
How did he plan on speaking with the animals without being overheard if he did not get close enough to whisper?

Skjaldbakka
2012-01-05, 10:49 AM
He wasn't planning to talk to the mules. He was going to find some nocturnal rodents in the nearby wilderness and get them to sneak into the camp and chew through the ropes that would keep the mules from bolting.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-05, 12:06 PM
Okay, I read the whole plan once and then skimmed it over a day later. I did mis-remember what was going on.

Lycar
2012-01-08, 07:19 AM
So how does Tell's plan work out then?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-09, 09:12 PM
Finally Updated.

Lycar
2012-01-15, 01:35 PM
You will tell us when Grigor and the others arrive at the moathouse, yes?

Skjaldbakka
2012-01-15, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure we can time advance to that point. Tell isn't doing anything until he hears combat outside, at which point he intends to get the troops to join the battle in a flanking maneuver. Or just go by himself if they don't have an interest in helping with the fight.

Skjaldbakka
2012-01-19, 06:10 PM
Tell is with the NPCs.

Lycar
2012-01-20, 03:36 PM
Sorry, got them mixed up. Megiddo gets dhiekded then. He can use the AC too.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-20, 03:43 PM
Well, itís not like I need another distraction from the game, but here it comes:

After six and a half years, I finally got an offer for a proper full-time web development position. So: Yay!

The downside is that it involves relocating to a town about two hours away. The relocation may or may not cause further slow downs. However, once I am settled down, being properly employed just might give me enough emotional energy to get right back in the game, to where it was when we started.

Lycar
2012-01-20, 03:59 PM
That is good news, congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

As for the move, well, there is a saying that goes like 'Moved twice equals burnt down once'. So good luck with that. :smallsmile:

Lycar
2012-01-28, 09:28 AM
Sorry for my absence, I am currently without internet. I hope the situation will change soon.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-30, 08:27 PM
Okay. I guess weíll try to keep Grigor out of trouble, then.

Skjaldbakka
2012-01-30, 11:26 PM
Grigor did not appear to be in melee according to the map. Was he in melee? Your flavor text seemed to indicate that I missed because I was firing into a melee.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-01-30, 11:37 PM
Grigor was providing Soft Cover (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover), based on where you placed Megiddo.

Lycar
2012-01-31, 02:19 PM
My internet is still down, surfstick to the rescue...

So the buggers closed the distance but could no attack, eh? Oh well, too bad Grigor couldn't get off a shot.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-01, 02:54 PM
Have the soldiers in the moathouse or Tell noticed the commotion outside yet?

Also, didn't we have Elmo with us?

Edit - apparently, we neglected to determine that: link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12446799&postcount=641)

I would have expected Elmo to come with us, but not Red.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-01, 09:22 PM
Have the soldiers in the moathouse or Tell noticed the commotion outside yet?
Since they are hiding out in the cave at the end of the secret tunnel, not likely. Though Tell could decide to check on the camp, as he would be expecting Grigor and Megiddo to show up soon.

Also, didn't we have Elmo with us?
Was only going to include him if you asked. But if you expected him, I suppose he could just be running behind for some reason.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-01, 09:26 PM
I was expecting they would have a lookout waiting for Megiddo and Grigor to show up, so they could catch the bandits from behind. Elmo I just kind of assumed was with the rescue party (didn't even see the question about it until I went back to see if something had been mentioned).

Also, what kind of armor is the bearded man wearing? If it is mostly metal armor, I will probably use shocking grasp on him. Otherwise, I'll do something else. I'll post an if-this-then-that action if I don't get a response by the time I'm done writing it up.

What is Grigor's caster level? I know he is a bard/cleric multiclass, but if he is caster level 6 cleric, I get +3 instead of +2 from shield of faith.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-02, 08:14 AM
Okay, then. I guess Ricar and two Badgers could be spared.

The guy is wearing breastplate. So: Metal.

Iím going out of town today to look at apartments. Might find time for a proper update, might not.

Lycar
2012-02-04, 12:53 PM
Sorry, only 5 levels of cleric here. We are lv. 6 after all. :smallamused:

But I sure hope these emberlings peter out soon, 3 rounds and every time the one you didn't knock out deals almost double-digit damage, ouch! :smalleek:

Too bad PfE won't help against their attacks. And tentacle beast isn't a summon, so only the AC bonus is gonna help. But maybe it is time for Grigor to take a breather and buff up a bit.

Just trying to keep the mage alive. :smallwink:

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-07, 01:56 AM
Oooo, crit threat:

roll to confirm [roll0]
extra damage [roll1]

Edit - I'm level 7. I assumed you were also.

Lycar
2012-02-07, 02:38 PM
It is probably because Grigor joined the game later. Or did I miss something? :smallconfused:

Lycar
2012-02-08, 03:16 PM
Since Grigor goes last, I'm waiting to see what the NPCs do.

But he wants to stick to psi-guy and whack him with his sword.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-08, 10:56 PM
It is probably because Grigor joined the game later. Or did I miss something? :smallconfused:
Hm. What do you have down for Grigorís XP?

Lycar
2012-02-09, 06:38 AM
For some reason Grigor's CS doesn't list any XP at all. At least he ought to have the 15.000 from being lv 6 and I believe we got some XP in the Moathouse dungeon.

Gotta check this.

Also Grigor took a step south last turn and is now at 21,56. Also he intends to move to 22,57 next. Unfortunately I keep getting an error message when trying to update the map.

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./maps/mthssurface/turn14.xml" in /f2/dfalpha/public/showmap.php on line 33

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-09, 09:36 AM
I doít recall what I started you at, but it should have been damn close to what Megiddo and Tell were, if not identical, since I donít like too much lagging.

But, going back through the OC thread, have these for what you earned:

4,223 xp + 2060 xp = 6,283 xp

In any case, that would have been enough to get you to level up, since it is only a 6,000 xp gap between levels 6 and 7. I guess I assumed you took care of it on your own. Didnít look at the sheet myself at the time.

As to the map, there may have been a glitch in trying to write the data for your update. It did wind up creating a turn14 file, but it was identical to turn13. I deleted that. Let me know if you have any trouble again.

Lycar
2012-02-11, 02:44 PM
Huh, thanks for looking that up for me. It appears that some other of my CS on Mythweavers also lost some data. Maybe it has something to do with the upgrade of the beta Pathfinder CS or something. :smallconfused:

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-11, 06:17 PM
Suddenly, a murderous scream comes from behind Grigor. It seems the man that lead the tentacle worm to the fray found the cleric through the fog. With a great howl, he swings his sword, but cannot see through the mist well enough to even come close to making contact.

http://mythoughtsinstereo.blogspot.com/2008/07/dr-horrible-sing-along-blog-songbook_24.html

That's not a good sound...

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-12, 03:38 PM
This post is a test, because the forums aren't displaying my previous message, at least to me, but it is showing that I posted something.

edit- and now I can, although the picture of dr horrible didn't display. oh well

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-12, 04:38 PM
This post is a test, because the forums aren't displaying my previous message, at least to me, but it is showing that I posted something.
Thatís been known to happen.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-13, 03:31 AM
So, since Megiddo has yet to take real damage before in the entire course of this campaign, due to vigor, I imagine this is what he is thinking right now:

"Oh, I'm in pain! I think this is what pain feels like!"

Yeah, two Dr Horrible references in as many combat rounds. :smallsigh:

Also, how many inches of leather would you say is in a handy haversack? I'm guessing at least 3?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-13, 02:37 PM
Also, how many inches of leather would you say is in a handy haversack? I'm guessing at least 3?
Well, a regular pack squished altogether, sure. But an individual side to the pouch wouldnít be nearly that thick. And you really only need to cut a hole through one side to really damage a pack.

I really do wish items more regularly had their own hardness and hit point stats recorded in the rules.

So, since Megiddo has yet to take real damage before in the entire course of this campaign, due to vigor, I imagine this is what he is thinking right now:

"Oh, I'm in pain! I think this is what pain feels like!"

Yeah, two Dr Horrible references in as many combat rounds.
It is like you have a PhD in Horribleness.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-13, 03:54 PM
The damage from being on fire wouldn't really be localized to a given spot though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-13, 05:44 PM
The damage from being on fire wouldn't really be localized to a given spot though.
If the fire starts on, say, the left strap, that will be the first part that burns through.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-13, 07:29 PM
It is something of a moot point, as I doubt it will come up again, but the question is how much damage an item such as a handy haversack can take before being destroyed. A broken strap shouldn't be sufficient to destroy it, in my opinion.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-13, 10:20 PM
No, it wouldnít destroy the bag. But similarly, if you just burn through a 4 inch by 4 inch hole in a bag whose walls are only 1/2 inch thick, you still got your 16 square-inch hole for everything to fall out. It doesnít have to burn the same hole through the other side.

The real problem is that the rules only talk about the thickness of an item without any regard to the other dimensions. A literal reading of the rules would give the same 5 hit points to the inch-thick leather whether it was 1 square inch or 10 square yards of the stuff. Walls are exempt, because they talk about smashing through them in 10 by 10 ft. squares (which is really more than you need if you are just trying to make an improvised door or window). The whole thing gives very few guidelines for more complex objects.

My problem is that I am overthinking the whole thing.

Regardless of how thick it is, about 10 hit points for a backpack feels about right. Thatís just my gut.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-15, 09:29 PM
I had briefly considered making the Sleet Storm effect entirely opaque, since you canít see in that at all. But then I realized you might need to realize when you would crash into a tree or another character.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-17, 11:03 PM
All right, we discussed possibly recruiting a new member. I donít think we should put it off, as we are getting close to the end of this chapter, which means it would be a good place to get new characters going.

I have created a draft for a recruiting thread. I would like you to look it over to make sure I did not miss anything.

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil: New Recruits Needed

Once again need new recruits to round out the ranks of the adventuring party learning about the threat of Elemental Evil. Prefer players that have not played this campaign before, but am willing to accept people that can keep out-of-character knowledge from affecting in-character actions.

While this game has thus far only been played over message boards, we have discussed the possibility of speeding things up with the occasional IM session, if we can sort out our differing time zones. So openness to that is a plus.

I do use a custom-programmed map program to track character positions. You can try it out at http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/showmap.php?mapNum=castletest. You move a character by selecting its name from the pull-down menu and then clicking where you want it. You can also add and remove characters as well as edit their name and labels under the ďCharacter Editor.Ē If you have trouble getting any of these to work, though, we may be able to work around it.

Changes to the map are password-protected, and currently a single master password applies to all maps; you will not be able to submit any changes until you have been accepted to the group and I give you the password. But, please have fun exploring the other functions of the map.

The Story so Far:
Between the Gnarley Forest and the Lortmil Mountains lies the Viscounty of Verbobonc. There was a time when the only remarkable feature of this peaceful province was its capital, which served as a major center of trade.

Then Evil came.

Just over a generation ago, a temple was built just north of the village of Hommlet. This temple was devoted to the cause of destruction through elemental fury and became known as the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Though it had its own goals, the Temple acted as a beacon for all other sorts of evil. It attracted bandits, brigands, and vile monsters that slowly began to lay waste to the surrounding countryside.

It was not long until the people of Verbobonc and the surrounding territories took notice and realized the Temple of Elemental Evil threatened the entire realm and needed to be destroyed. They raised an army. This army met the forces of the Temple on Emridy Fields. Though the forces of Good were victorious, they could not destroy the Temple itself and so they let it stand as a monument to darkness.

But letting the Temple stand meant that its threat was not destroyed but simply dormant. Within the next decade, the forces of Elemental Destruction sought to reclaim what was once theirs. The Temple began to rise again.

This time, the people of Verbobonc put their faith in several small groups that focused tactical strikes on the Temple itself. While not campaigning against Evil, these heroes found solace in Hommlet.

It soon became apparent that the threat posed by the Temple of Elemental Evil was greater than previously imagined. Within the Temple's dark dungeons, the priests hatched schemes that sought to wreak chaos and destruction throughout the Flanaaes and beyond.

The forces of Good struck at the temple with renewed vigor. Eventually, one of the teams confronted a powerful demon in the heart of the Temple. After defeating this paragon of darkness, they managed to bring the entire Temple down, eliminating the threat posed by Elemental Evil for good, or so it seemed.

Twelve years later, a small group of adventurers came to the town of Hommlet to study the temple and evaluate whether it may remain a threat. Unfortunately, they found out that there indeed were unsavory forces still interested in the ruins of the Moathouse, an advance outpost formerly used as a launching point for the Temple of Elemental Evil. With some help from the Hommlet militia, these adventurers confronted members of some maniacal cult in the dungeons of the Moathouse. The cost of victory was steep, however, as one of the militia members was petrified by a cockatrice that had made its nest in a disused room.

Shortly after returning to Hommlet, the adventurers discovered that the cult still had members hiding out in the village. One was even disguised as a respected druid and former combatant in the fight against Elemental Evil. From these cultists, they discovered another group had already been sent to the Moathouse to finish cleaning it out. Realizing that these cultists would also run into a group sent to retrieve the petrified militia member, the adventurers went off to offer aid.

The Big 16:
System: D&D 3.5
Setting: The World of Greyhawk, in the Viscounty of Verbobonc. More details available in the first post of the OOC thread.
No. of Players: Looking for 2 or 3 new recruits for an ongoing game.
Medium: PbP, with potential to expand into IM
Starting Level: 7. 21,000 XP
Starting Wealth: 19,000 gp
Preferred Classes: Prefer to have at least one fighter-type and one rogue-type to balance out the party, but pretty well open to anything from allowed materials.
Races: Prefer to stick with ďnormalĒ PHB races or variants. Anything that can easily get through a human-dominated country without raising eyebrows. Regional demographic information available in first post of the OOC thread.
Stat Generation Stats: 32 point build
Hit Points: Full at first level. On successive levels, you may either roll, or take half of full plus one (i.e. a Fighter would get 6) plus Constitution modifier.
Alignment: Any non-evil
Multi-classing: No XP penalties for multi-classing. Other class-specific restrictions still apply.
Die Rolling: Roll your own dice for your active rolls, using the forum roller or Invisible Castle (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/). I will roll most of your reactive rolls (i.e. Any roll not made on your turn, such as Saves, Attacks of Opportunity, and Spot checks).
House Rules: Listed in the OOC thread. Most important for character creation is restriction of polymorph spells to new polymorph subschool spells in the Complete series and all druids taking the Shapechange variant from PH2.
Character Background: Please, include a short background. I would like a sense of the type of character you will be playing outside of the characterís stats.
Combat/Puzzles/RP: I try to keep a decent balance between Combat and RP. There will be the occasional puzzle.
Rulebooks: I will allow most things from almost any book in my collection. However, I do reserve the right to request changes or deny anything that strikes me as troublesome with no prior notice.

Please, list the sources you used in creating your character on the notes section of your character sheet, including which parts of the character came from each source.

My Collection
3.5 WotC Books
Arms and Equipment Guide
Book of Exalted Deeds
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Psionic
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Magic of Incarnum
Monster Manual
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual IV
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Sandstorm
Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords
Tome of Magic

3.0 WotC Books
Anything from the following sources are likely to require revision to be compatible with 3.5 rules.
Book of Vile Darkness
Deities and Demigods
The Living Greyhawk Gazeteer
Manual of the Planes
Savage Species
The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Tome and Blood

Periodicals
Anything from this list may require extra review by me.
Dragon Magazine #248, 250, 252ó359
Dungeon Magazine #83, 110, 111

Third Party Products
Anything from this list will require extra review by me.
Fields of Blood: The Book of War (Eden Studios)
Feats (AEG)
The Book of Unusual Treasures (Bad Axe)
The Book of Erotic Fantasy (Gwendolyn Kestrel and Duncan Scott) (Only those things that qualify as Very Strictly PG, if any at all)
Advanced Playerís Manual (Green Ronin)
Advanced Gamemasterís Manual (Green Ronin)
Denizens of Freeport (Green Ronin)

Current Party Members
Megiddo, Evoker/Kineticist/Cerebremancer
Grigor, Bard/Cleric of Olidamarra
Aratos Tell, Former PC turned Cohort, Fighter/Druid (We may eventually leave him behind in Hommlet)

Relevant Threads:
OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62587
IC Thread 1: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65354
IC Thread 2: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121918

If you have any question about the rules, setting, backstory, or anything else, please feel free to ask.

Iíll post this in Recruiting as soon as we agree on this.

EDIT: Already, I just realized I forgot to mention the mapping program. Will do so. Mapping program added; Spelling

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-18, 01:28 AM
Tell could take over the duties of the local druid, as a way to have him leave the party and kind of make sense.

As to the recruiting thread, you misspelled cerebremancer, but other than that, looks good.

Lycar
2012-02-20, 05:08 PM
Looks good to me.

As for the sleet storm, well, I try to keep metagaming to a minimum and so Grigor keeps stumbling into the direction he originally went anyway.

Also it just occurs to me that he probably has to try a concentrate check fue to inclement weather for casting. :smalleek:

Uhm.. can we, like, let slide? Just this one time? :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-21, 10:00 PM
Also it just occurs to me that he probably has to try a concentrate check fue to inclement weather for casting. :smalleek:

Uhm.. can we, like, let slide? Just this one time? :smallconfused:
ĎFraid not. But hey, you did good.

Not so much on the Balance check, though. :smallfrown:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-24, 05:16 PM
Just a quick update: I have not yet posted the new recruiting thread because I am currently in the process of moving for my new job. Plus, the Internet has been on the fritz anyway. I will be getting free (and hopefully reliable) wireless at the hotel I will be staying at next week, so I think I should be able to get back into things a bit.

Hopefully.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-27, 09:43 PM
New Recruitment Thread is Up.

And in case you are curious: Had my first day at the new job. It was all orientation, so nothing really interesting yet. Currently staying at a Days Inn, and will be officially moving into the new apartment this weekend.

Skjaldbakka
2012-02-28, 03:29 PM
So far I like Doombringer and Turk Mannion the best for new recruits so far. Crusaders are wonky in PbP though (because of the mechanic they use for maneuvers).

The dwarf fighter is pretty solid, won't overshadow the rest of the less-than-optimal character builds in the party, and I get the feeling Doombringer already has played this character before, so he probably has a decently developed personality for him.

The crusader on the other hand, the player seems really into Greyhawk, and says he's been in a long-running tabletop game, so he may be more reliable in terms of expecting him not to drop off, like some of the other recruits have.

How many are we looking to recruit?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-28, 06:52 PM
Probably should go with three, just to pad us up a little bit. Would mean if you drop Tell off to keep an eye on Hommlet, we would actually have five PCs going. Would help insulate us against any other unexpected drops.

Skjaldbakka
2012-03-02, 02:44 PM
It is midterms for me right now, so I might not be very responsive for about a week.

Skjaldbakka
2012-03-05, 02:06 PM
Right now in the recruitment thread, I am liking the Crusader, the Duskblade, and the Illusionist characters (since the dwarf fighter guy hasn't posted again).

What are your thoughts?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-03-05, 10:54 PM
Havenít had a chance to do more than skim them over. I think I can get a better look tomorrow night.

Skjaldbakka
2012-03-07, 12:58 AM
I think Moonshadow is a perfect fit for this campaign. Druid/Sorcerer is something I really like with this party.

Skjaldbakka
2012-03-31, 01:29 AM
Sorry I haven't posted again, it is getting towards the end of the semester, so I am really busy with papers right now.

If it helps to keep things moving, Megiddo will continue to move adjacent to Grigor, and ready to cast burning hands. Tell will try to move up to the half-orc and attack in human form with his spiked chain.

Quakes
2012-04-02, 01:13 PM
not sure how the new people are being worked in quite yet, but I'm following this thread now, so whenever it works into the story =)

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-04-03, 09:17 PM
I am hoping that we can finish this fight up and get the others back into Hommlet really soon. If it takes a little while longer, we can start with all the new folks in Hommlet and maybe drop a few extra threads their way that conspire to get them to meet up when Tell, Megiddo, and Grigor get back.

In the mean time, a few last minute details for the characters:

Moonshadow: I am still looking for a reduced power on the druid wildshape. If Moonshadow still wants the Owl animal companion. I think the Unearthed Arcana Aspect of Nature variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) could work out and it would still allow the animal companion. What do you think?
Cade: As mentioned in the Recruitment thread, the potions of mage armor do not stack with the mithral shirt (both armor bonuses). I recommend finding a different potion or magic item. Unless you are expecting to get into trouble while unarmored now and then, I suppose.
Jem: I still need more info on the bracers of opportunity.

Thanks.

Quakes
2012-04-03, 10:51 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. I still have 2 levels to go before worrying about it that way, and we should be able to work it out by then. Sounds like it will work well, considering as the Arcane Heirophant, I wouldn't much be focusing on the wildshape anyway.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-04-15, 11:09 PM
Yea, I was gonna turn those from potions of mage armor to potions of shield so the enhancements could stack.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-04-16, 09:12 PM
UnfortunatelyÖ

Creating Potions
ÖÖ

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

Shield
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

A potion of barkskin could work, but that is pretty expensive for far less benefit. A potion of protection from evil wouldnít add as much to AC, but it would provide a few other choice benefits.

We could also go another direction. Psionic tattoos are equivalent to potions, but personal powers can be made into tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/creatingPsionicItems.htm#creatingPsionicTattoos) for double the cost of a standard tattoo. So a tattoo of inertial armor or tattoo of force screen is allowed.

Anyone else have any thoughts on other ways of meeting this concept within the rules?

Skjaldbakka
2012-04-16, 09:13 PM
What about a wand?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-04-16, 09:42 PM
Ah, yes. Use Magic Device. I always manage to overlook that.

For the same price as 4 first level potions, that would hit the value of a wand with 13 charges remaining. Of course, at Cadeís current UMD score, there would only be a 50/50 shot of activating the damn thing. But a wand of mage armor would be good for an hour, so it could be used early enough ahead of combat where failure is less likely to bear additional costs. But then there is also the natural 1 thing. So that has a few tradeoffs.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-04-17, 12:53 PM
I'll just keep them mage armor for use on companions and the rare times I may have to go without armor.

Skjaldbakka
2012-04-17, 05:07 PM
Or for when we fight ghosts/wraiths/etc.

I have a paper to write tonight, so might not have time to make a full post. Tell charges, Megiddo takes a total defense, and stays where he is.

Lycar
2012-04-19, 01:20 PM
Opps, forgot to add +2 for flanking so actually Grigor hits AC 17. Not that that makes a difference. :smallyuk:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-04-24, 09:14 PM
Been having some issues with the Internet. Out of time to post tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

Lycar
2012-04-30, 07:24 PM
*poke poke* Still having trouble with the posting?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-01, 08:42 PM
*poke poke* Still having trouble with the posting?

More distracted with a few offline concerns and rationalizing it by thinking I might want to give Skja a chance to weigh in on something to do now that we are dropping out of combat. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2012-05-02, 05:14 AM
Sorry about that guys. It's been a rough finals week.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-02, 09:08 PM
Sorry about that guys. It's been a rough finals week.
No prob. Finals are finals. Hope youíre doing well.

Aneurin
2012-05-12, 06:45 PM
Okay! If I'm not hideously-heideously too late posting this (sorry, been an awkward week), here's my character and my "hello everyone, pleased to be here"!

So, uh, yeah. Hi everyone, awesome to be here. Here's my sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=367333).

...I think that covers it all, right? :smalltongue:

Lycar
2012-05-17, 05:54 PM
Soo... are you going to post in the IC thread too?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-17, 09:27 PM
Oh, wow, I didnít notice. That last, blatantly OOC post of mine in IC was supposed to be made here. Oh well.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-19, 07:11 AM
Soo... are you going to post in the IC thread too?

Maybe Aneurin is waiting to see what Megiddo and Grigor are going to be up to once they are done transporting the prisoners and loot/evidence/other goods to the keep. Then, you know, Aneurin will know if Dana should be at the grove or the Welcome Wench, or Tarriganís or Spugnoirís potion shop, or the Temple to St. Cuthbert, or what have you. You know, to find the best way of starting up the action.

I did say they should introduce themselves ďif the opportunity presents itselfĒ after all.

In other words: Hey, I left the last for-realsies DM IC post on an open ended action hook for you too, so you can still do some IC-ing, too. :smalltongue:

Skjaldbakka
2012-05-20, 11:54 AM
I've actually tried to post a few times over the last couple days, but I guess my timing was bad, because the server was always down. Looks like I managed to succeed this time though.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-05-21, 10:09 AM
I'm waiting till the prison to introduce Cade. =D

Lycar
2012-05-21, 03:07 PM
I had quite a bit of trouble to log in myself the last week or so. Always got redirected to the log-in prompt. :smallfrown:

Well now, let us get introduced. :smile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-21, 09:05 PM
Ah, Technical Difficulties, you rascal. Always interfering with the pleasures of life. :smallsigh:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-05-30, 05:09 AM
Just want to apologize for the current delay in my posting. I will try to get a post up (but wonít guarantee it) later today.

Lycar
2012-06-26, 12:51 PM
Sorry about the delay in posting. Game had fallen off my radar a bit. It is a wee bit slow after all. :smallconfused:

Lycar
2012-07-21, 07:05 AM
I think we did find a good spot to camp. Apparently in the woods or something. Let's use this?

Lycar
2012-07-24, 06:31 AM
From Thursday this week until Thursday next week I'll be away and almost certainly without internet access.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-07-24, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Skjaldbakka
2012-08-07, 06:57 PM
Anybody have Use Magic Device?

Quakes
2012-08-07, 08:58 PM
I'm looking at Cade, lol

Quakes
2012-08-23, 01:11 PM
well if we're not activating the altar dealie, and i can't find anything, anyone else have any ideas? we seem to be stuck otherwise. or are we missing something?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-08-28, 10:35 PM
Iím here. Just have had some meat-space issues. Iíll post an update tomorrow.

CaylynEsuzam
2012-09-18, 11:31 AM
I'm still here as well, I just don't now what to do. =/

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-09-18, 09:09 PM
Stand on the sun, see if it can make you really dizzy.

Or maybe touch the obelisk for a while and see what those tentacles can really do.

Find out if the water in the pond is potable.

Of course, I canít be held responsible for the consequences of actually doing any of those things.

Lycar
2012-09-20, 02:32 PM
*poke poke*?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-09-23, 09:10 AM
Honestly, other than examining these obviously-evil artifact remnants, there really isnít much to do around the Moathouse. Itís up to you guys to decide what to do.

Okay, you know what: I totally didnít realize how long it has been in meat-space time since you found a certain little in-game hint. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12406190&highlight=Rastor#post12406190) Otherwise I might have brought it up earlier.

You can also look at the Temple of Elemental Evil itself, if you want, since anything that has happened in the Moathouse most likely involves that.

Or you could look for some out-of-the-box solutions. At this point, what happens next is entirely up to the PCs.

Quakes
2012-09-23, 11:52 AM
I guess we go to Rastor then, though I don't think I can suggest it in character, as I don't know about this note...haha

Lycar
2012-09-24, 03:33 PM
Huh, can't remember having even seen this note. That is almost a year. One of the downsides of PbP, you really, really find it easy to forget about things that happened to your characters hours ago because it has been weeks or months in real time and you just can't be bothered to reread the entire thread again. :smallyuk:

So, who has that note on him anyway?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-09-26, 10:45 PM
Could be anyone. Don't think it matters too much.

Anyway, if your gonna go to Rastor, please have the decision made in-character so that there is a bit of continuity in that thread at least.

Lycar
2012-11-04, 01:36 AM
Do any of the others want any food/drink?

Lycar
2012-11-15, 06:42 AM
... do we need to find new players.. ? :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-11-15, 06:51 PM
Good question.

Quakes
2012-11-15, 08:07 PM
I'm still here

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-11-19, 09:15 PM
Skjaldbakkaís profile says he hasnít been online since mid-August. CaylynEsuzam has been gone since October 24.

I havenít seen an announcement about a hiatus for either of them, so I donít know what is up.

In any case, I have to apologize to everyone that has played so far. Iím sorry that Iíve been letting things coast a bit much. I have to admit that I havenít been as active with keeping this going as I should be. I mean, I really should have notices Skja was missing long before now. Iíve just been dealing with a run of lethargy that makes it difficult to focus on things. Unfortunately, that run is probably going to get worse in the coming winter months. But Iíll do my best to keep going. That is, if you want to keep going.

In any case, I am sending an email to Caylyn and a private message to Skja to see whatís up. Skja doesnít have his account set to receive emails from board members, but I am hoping he at least has his account to get email notification of private messages.

Meanwhile, what do you want to do? Put things on hold for a while? Keep going and muddle through? See about recruiting some new blood? What do you think?

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-11-21, 07:31 AM
Caylyn says that he has to pull out for now due to a lack of time in meat space.

Lycar
2012-11-25, 02:04 PM
Okay I thought about this for a while and I have decided that, why I do want to play this game, the important part of a game is it being fun.

If it is no longer fun for you to hist this game then we really should either out it on hold until you recover your enthusiasm or pull the plug on it.

Ultimately this is your game, so the final decision is yours. I would be willing to keep playing.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-11-27, 09:18 PM
Canít say Iím interested in putting anything on hold just because Iím a little lethargic. If I did that, Iíd just grow even more out of it and quickly find myself unable to do anything but sit on the couch, watching episodes of Doctor Who, Firefly, and The Twilight Zone on Netflix. As good as those shows are, that situation is just unacceptable. One too many viewings of ďArielĒ or ďSafeĒ and eventually River Tamís ramblings will begin to make sense, and then there goes the ĎVerse.

Iím keeping going as long as you are.

Lycar
2012-11-28, 01:47 PM
Very well, in that case may I suggest we seek reinforcements for our party?

I will be on vacation for two weeks starting Saturday and my internet access will be spotty anyway.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-11-28, 10:39 PM
Iíll see about putting up a new recruitment thread starting next week.

Quakes, you still in?

Do we want to come up with a plausible excuse for the disappearance of Megiddo and Tell?

Quakes
2012-11-29, 11:55 AM
Yup, still here.

Lycar
2012-11-30, 08:12 AM
Personally I would vastly prefer to have a plausible in-game reason for their disappearance.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-12-03, 10:13 PM
Any ideas for an explanation?

Anyway, new recruiting thread is up.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-12-21, 07:24 AM
Happy Apocalypse Day! :smalltongue:

Lycar
2012-12-25, 09:43 AM
Since the apocalypse got canceled (again), merry Christmas everyone! :smallwink:

Lycar
2013-01-11, 08:36 AM
So how goes the recruiting?

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-01-13, 04:45 PM
Iím surprised people are hanging on what with my unreliability over the past few weeks.

If you guys have any comments on the current submissions, feel free to share them.

Quakes
2013-01-13, 06:43 PM
Haven't looked at them. Good mix?

Lycar
2013-01-14, 06:08 PM
I am very much in favour for keeping Megiddo around as a PC, especially since the player applying is Toliduar, who I know from other games. Reliable and both fun and rewarding to play with in my experience.

Lycar
2013-01-19, 10:25 AM
So what do you say Shhalahr, any applicants you would approve of?

Lycar
2013-01-31, 04:57 PM
*poke* :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-02-03, 09:33 PM
Iím still sorta here. Just taking way to long to look stuff over. Iíve been too easily distracted.

Toliudar
2013-02-19, 03:13 AM
It looks like I'm the first of the new folks to chime in. Thanks for the invitation, Shhalahr, and hi to both Lycar and Quakes, who I have indeed enjoyed playing with in other games. I'll do my best to keep up the coldness and homicidal fervour of Meggido (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=479990).

Swami Monsoon
2013-02-19, 11:57 AM
I'm checking in as well.

This will be my first time playing a rogue type, so please be gentle... :smallwink:

Toliudar
2013-02-19, 11:59 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil /= Gentle. :smallwink: But we're all in this together.

Quakes
2013-02-19, 12:22 PM
Sweet, excited to get this train back on the rails. Watch out, TOEE!

Lycar
2013-02-19, 04:46 PM
Awesome, so the bad guys better watch out. But we should decide soon if we want to pass ourselves off as baddies or not. :smallamused:

If it helps, Grigor is actually not too bad at passing himself off as someone he's not. :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2013-02-19, 05:40 PM
I'm assuming Meggido is a "ends justify the means" kind of guy, so as long as he eventually gets to burn all of these evil folk down to a fine ash, he's okay with a little sneakiness along the way. Not that he's all that good at it.

Lycar
2013-02-19, 06:53 PM
Err... slight correction: While the armour design looks like it comes from a Paladin of Heironeous, the holy symbol is that of Olidamarra. :smallsmile:

Why a cleric of Olidamarra would wear a spike-festooned paladin armour is anybody's guess. :smallcool:

Toliudar
2013-02-20, 10:04 AM
Ah. Then I'm confused. How do you envision the difference in look between paladin spiked plate and un-paladin spiked plate? I tend not to think of spiky armour as a paladin-y thing, so am trying to envision this. Is it extra shiny/glowy?

Also, from what we've seen of Rastor, a guy with a holy symbol of Olidammara painted on his chest might in fact fit right in here.

Lycar
2013-02-20, 04:08 PM
Okay, it's like this: Grigor is a Cleric of Olidmarra (also Bard) but the suit of full plate was inherited from a Paladin. Grigor then went ahead and modified the armour to his liking.

For example, you can't be a chaos warrior without spiky armour. :smallwink:

The mining lamp on the helmet is just useful (and the picture fits even because in the thumbnail it looks a bit like there is some light mounted on the forehead part of the helmet).

And the holy symbol of Olidamarra is what you get when someone with 0 ranks in Craft (Painting) goes about it. :smallamused:

I am just going ahead and assume that if a certain organization (like an order of Paladins maybe) fits their troops out with armour, they will go for an uniform look. So that the armour will work as a sort of uniform in effect. In other words: A Paladin who gets outfitted by the church of Heironeous ought to be recognizable as belonging to that organization, hence his armour should follow certain styleguides.

Toliudar
2013-02-20, 05:23 PM
Ah! Lovely. A great character touch.

In the context of this setting, then, it might not be a look related to a certain deity, but to an organization like the Knights of the Hart (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20060926a) or Knights of Holy Shielding (http://www.canonfire.com/cfhtml/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=879). The former would certainly be active in this region, and their style of armour - if there is such a thing - would be the most familiar.

Swami Monsoon
2013-02-20, 10:17 PM
Here's the sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=498042

I have him using 1H + shield simply because specializing as a two-weapon fighter or sniper is so feat intensive. I don't know if that's going to make my damage output too weak...

If anyone has ideas for last minute tweaks, please let me know.

Toliudar
2013-02-20, 11:53 PM
Swami, I don't think any of these characters are particularly high-powered, so I wouldn't worry too much about the sword and board attack routine.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-21, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,
Sorry I just saw the note that I got in. (Was prepping for a test and a presentation)

Forgot the link:
Here's Halgrim (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504541) the Terramancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177069)

Swami Monsoon
2013-02-21, 08:21 PM
Is there an updated group roster?

Should we wait for a cue before entering the IC thread?

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-02-21, 08:50 PM
Is there an updated group roster?

Iíll update the links this weekend.

Should we wait for a cue before entering the IC thread?

Megiddo, Moonshadow, and Grigor are in the tavern right now. Seems like thatís a usual enough cue for these sorts of things. It will work better than waiting until they are in the middle of a fight, anyway. :smallwink:

Of course, if you have a better idea in mind, go for it. Just let me know if you are waiting for something in particular.

Toliudar
2013-02-21, 09:04 PM
If you'd prefer to place yourselves somewhere else in Rastor, I suspect we could be persuaded to swing by whatever shop/tourist attraction/hellhole in which you'd like to place yourselves.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-21, 09:48 PM
Megiddo, Moonshadow, and Grigor are in the tavern right now. Seems like thatís a usual enough cue for these sorts of things. It will work better than waiting until they are in the middle of a fight, anyway. :smallwink:

Since my backstory had me escorting my uncle and his family out of Hommlet then returning to Hommlet, I'll say he arrived in town a few hours after they left Hommlet.
Given family history and everything (both father and uncle attempted to fight the temple at different times), he'd leave in pursuit of the group to offer his help.
So he'll arrive around say, dinnertime. Looking for:
A knight with a sneering mask (black and white parti) painted on his chest, badly.
A brownhaired man with a spear and a black wooden shield.

If Moonshadow is a member of the old faith, he might remember seeing a young man at worship (circle? temple? whatever) over the years who resembles the grim young man with the mace.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-02-21, 10:29 PM
Around dinnertime. Sounds like it is just in time for Tal to show up at the Rusty Axe. (If the old man speaks the truth and Tal is true to his habit, that is.)

herrhauptmann
2013-02-21, 11:29 PM
Around dinnertime. Sounds like it is just in time for Tal to show up at the Rusty Axe. (If the old man speaks the truth and Tal is true to his habit, that is.)

I did that on purpose, I swear...
<.<
>.>
^.^

Lycar
2013-02-24, 12:59 AM
Ooops sorry, my bad. Italics for thoughts, yes, that's what you get when you post without the benefit of being well-rested. :smalleek:

Let's just assume Grigor rolled very well on his Sense Motive check, ok? :smallredface:

Lycar
2013-03-01, 02:27 PM
Maybe we should decide which side road our little troupe actually heads down. :smallconfused:

Toliudar
2013-03-01, 02:49 PM
I wasn't thinking of any of the 'disappear into the distance' roads. I was just trying to get oriented to what kinds of things there are in Rastor - shops, ruins, a magic fountain, etc.

Quakes
2013-03-01, 02:55 PM
Was hoping Mr. Windrider would chime in soon. It's been a week now.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-01, 08:21 PM
I was waiting for you guys to reach 'dinner time'.
Initially it was cuz I needed to re-review stuff for the game, so I didn't want to jump in and say/do stupid things.
Now that I'm done with that, I think maybe I should get there sooner. Or it might be another week before I can interact with the party.

edit:
Lycar is Grigor human cleric of olidammara (badly painted armor).
Quakes, Moonshadow druid with spear.

Lycar
2013-03-02, 08:32 PM
I don't know how much in-game time our characters have to chat before we are supposed to meet the plot hook important NPC contact to the evil cult.

So that's also why I was asking which way to go. In case someone wants to visit the old mine or that other place to kill time.

As for our GM, well, we will just have to wait to hear from him.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-03-04, 06:40 PM
Well, it is already afternoon. If you want to explore either road more than a few miles off, you likely wonít be back until after dark. Certainly not enough time to find the old dwarf-mine. But checking out the first part of the road might give you something to do to kill time while waiting for the guy.

Quakes
2013-03-04, 06:42 PM
Killing time go! Implement!

herrhauptmann
2013-03-07, 02:12 PM
Quakes, you've got the druid with 2 owls right? (If I remember your previous intro correctly) Do you have both of them with you right now?

Quakes
2013-03-07, 05:47 PM
yup. Until next level when they merge into one super owl! mwahaha. they generally ride around on my shoulders, as they're pretty small

Lycar
2013-03-07, 06:06 PM
Would you say... deceptively small?

Quakes
2013-03-07, 08:33 PM
From now on I will haha

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-03-08, 10:54 PM
Was getting ready to update this when I got a call from my mother. My grandpa is in the hospital and has just taken a pretty bad turn. Canít really concentrate on this right now.

Sorry.

Toliudar
2013-03-09, 12:12 AM
Let us be the least of your worries, Shhalahr. Our thoughts are with you.

Another_Poet
2013-03-09, 03:01 AM
Shhalahr, every so often I check in on this thread. Still subscribed after all this time. I just happened to look in tonight, and saw that bit of bad news. I'm so sorry, and I hope things go as well as possible.

(Also, if any of you don't know/remember, I was one of the first players in this game - had to retire from it when life got hectic. Which makes it a little ironic that Toliudar is now a player. Hi Toliudar!)

Toliudar
2013-03-09, 06:03 AM
Great to 'see' you here, AP. I hope that all is well with you.

Another_Poet
2013-03-09, 01:08 PM
Not to co-opt the thread, but yeah, things are well. I'm traveling and, for the time being, am in New Orleans. Currently running a Warhammer game (see sig). Did I ever tell you that I once named a girls' street gang after you in an Iron Kingdoms campaign?

herrhauptmann
2013-03-09, 01:15 PM
Was getting ready to update this when I got a call from my mother. My grandpa is in the hospital and has just taken a pretty bad turn. Canít really concentrate on this right now.

Sorry.

Don't worry about the game, focus on your grandpa.
We understand.

Swami Monsoon
2013-03-09, 02:44 PM
Currently running a Warhammer game (see sig).

I noticed that game while browsing through the IC threads. Quite impressive...

Best of luck, Shhalahr...

Another_Poet
2013-03-13, 11:57 AM
I noticed that game while browsing through the IC threads. Quite impressive...

Thanks Swami :smallsmile:

Of course, being that it's Warhammer, it won't be all harvest festivals and gorgeous coach drivers forever... mwa ha.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-18, 03:33 PM
Listen check for Halgrim as he approaches the group. (Synesthete set to aural)
[roll0]

Some notes for myself.
Lycar is Grigor human cleric of olidammara (badly painted armor).
Quakes, Moonshadow druid with spear.

Figured I'd introduce my character, help get stuff rolling for later.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-18, 09:12 PM
Sorry about that screwup.
I'd be happy to start off on the right foot, or barring that, not something that's going to make you brain-blast me. :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2013-03-18, 10:53 PM
Delighted to restart this - and great to get you integrated with the group. Thanks for taking the initiative.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-18, 11:37 PM
I'm really sorry if my characters accent has you guys cringing in your chairs. The only thing worse than my writing accents out, is when I try to speak them...
Glad to restart it too. Most pbp's I join don't last more than 2 weeks from when the DM selects players. Given that this one has been going for years, that'd be exceptionally sad. Let's just keep this running until Shhalahr comes back.

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class
Herrhauptmann|Halgrim (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504541)|Human|Terramancer (earth priest)
Toliudar|Megiddo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=479990)|Elf|Cerebremancer
Quakes|Moonshadow|Human|Druid with 2 owls
Lycar|Grigor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=54723)|Human|Cleric
Swami Monsoon|Tom Underhill (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=498042)|hengeyokai|Psy Rogue
[/table]

Also:
If we end up needing more people, I got a friend (irl) who'd probably be willing to play too. Our real life table didn't have much RP. Probably going for a fighter/halforc paragon/orc paragon shifting into runescarred berserker at level 8.

Quakes
2013-03-19, 08:40 AM
Human, yes. But I speak like Elven is my first language (because it is, haha). And I've got two owls that ride around on my shoulders.

Toliudar
2013-03-19, 10:42 AM
I'm really sorry if my characters accent has you guys cringing in your chairs. The only thing worse than my writing accents out, is when I try to speak them...

I'm liking the accent so far. I suck at maintaining them in PBP, and have given up trying, but admire those who can pull it off.

Lycar
2013-03-20, 11:52 AM
Feel free to use accent to your heart's content, as long as communication is achieved it is all well. And if I don't understand something I can make Grigor ask for clarification, such is the power of the player, bwahahahah! :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2013-03-21, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna assume that Tell (whoever played him, I forget) follows the Old Faith as well. What with Beory and Ehlonna being on the character sheet.

Tell was left behind at what point, after the fight with Jaroo?

Toliudar
2013-03-21, 05:29 PM
I think that Tell was with the others right up to the point at which they left for Rastor. If we assume for the sake of convenience that Halgrim travelled faster than the rest of us, anywhere from a day to several days might have passed since we left Hommlet.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-03-21, 08:20 PM
My grandpa was recovering and I was set to get back in the game, but then he just took another poor turn. Might still be a little while longer.

Lycar
2013-03-22, 03:37 AM
Take as much time as you need, Shhalahr, as much as you need and maybe some more. This sort of thing can suck the life right out of you. :smallfrown:

Another_Poet
2013-03-22, 02:16 PM
I'm gonna assume that Tell (whoever played him, I forget) follows the Old Faith as well.

That was me, and you are correct.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-22, 02:42 PM
I think that Tell was with the others right up to the point at which they left for Rastor. If we assume for the sake of convenience that Halgrim travelled faster than the rest of us, anywhere from a day to several days might have passed since we left Hommlet.

I was assuming that Halgrim left for Rastor just a few hours after you guys. He might move a little faster than a group, but a small group would probably be able to save time in the whole setup/takedown of a camp chores, so it'd balance out.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-03-26, 06:26 AM
Canít say my grandpa is definitely out of the woods, but he is out of the ICU. Finally.

Iíll be kind of busy tonight and tomorrow, though. Plus got to spend time with family for Easter this weekend. So I canít promise any updates before next week.

But then things are beginning to look up.

Quakes
2013-03-26, 10:07 AM
Glad to hear things are looking up a bit. Have a happy easter! looking forward to busting my meal plan for a day, haha

herrhauptmann
2013-03-26, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up a bit. Have a happy easter! looking forward to busting my meal plan for a day, haha

What Quakes said.
Enjoy your family time. Glad he's doing better. I spent most of the summer doing the same thing, so I understand how it is.

Lycar
2013-03-26, 07:01 PM
Same here. Enjoy your time with the family. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-04-01, 06:52 AM
Despite seemingly being on the road to a strong recovery, my grandpa passed away on Friday.

Honestly, even after he was moved out of the ICU, it is not much of a surprise. His whole recovery process has been ďOne step forward, two steps back,Ē and just a few weeks ago he was only one step away from death. So one step forward takes him away from that and out of the ICU, but then there is the two steps back.

What is really frustrating is that up until last November, he was pretty well the picture of perfect health for an 83-going-on-84-year old. It certainly wasnít a matter of a sick, barely-hanging-on old man whose quality of life was questionable at best. I think his only problem is that he was living on his own, so when his symptoms started, he had no one nearby to pick up on it and convince him to go to the hospital. He waited far to long to get treated.

Anyway, the funeral is next Monday, and Iíll be having a few things to do to prepare for that.

herrhauptmann
2013-04-01, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry for you loss.

Quakes
2013-04-01, 11:16 PM
So sorry to hear. Especially around the holidays. Wishing the best for your family.

Toliudar
2013-04-02, 12:32 AM
Our deepest condolences for your loss. So sorry.

Swami Monsoon
2013-04-02, 12:33 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Lycar
2013-04-04, 02:42 PM
My condolences for your loss.

And thank you for sharing. Please take all the time you need.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-04-04, 09:00 PM
Honestly? Iím at that point where Iím more pissed off about it than anything else.

My grandfather was the archetypal spry old man. Active. Lively. Healthy. There was nothing decrepit about him. This was not some inevitable age-related illness that had been eating at him for years. For something involving an 84-year-old in a hospital, the whole thing was relatively sudden. Just doesnít feel fair.

Yeah, I know fairness doesnít really enter into it. It is really surprising, though, how your emotions try to convince you otherwise. So thatís where I am right now.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-04-10, 07:00 PM
Holy crap. I just found out that the owner of the local game shop in my hometown died on Monday. Heart attack.

Iím not going to be able to attend the visitation or otherwise participate in any activities there as a remembrance. I think I will have to come up with something on my own.

Another_Poet
2013-04-10, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I know fairness doesnít really enter into it. It is really surprising, though, how your emotions try to convince you otherwise. So thatís where I am right now.

I understand that feeling surprisingly well. I, too am sorry for your loss.

For your game store owner, I do have an idea. When Gary Gygax passed we all (my IRL gaming group) found it quite moving to play a game in his honor. In that case we played his Tomb of Horrors, but maybe if you know the owner had a favorite system or setting...?

herrhauptmann
2013-04-11, 05:23 PM
I've found the best way for the grief is to get together with those who knew them best, then tell your favorite stories involving that person. Maybe it's a story they always told. Maybe it's something private between you and them. My Mom and Uncle bust a gut laughing at some of the stories I told them involving their Mom.
It's trite, but "remembering the good times" has helped me in the past.

I know I'm just another anonymous person on the internet, but sometimes anonymous is best when you need to talk.

I understand that feeling surprisingly well. I, too am sorry for your loss.

For your game store owner, I do have an idea. When Gary Gygax passed we all (my IRL gaming group) found it quite moving to play a game in his honor. In that case we played his Tomb of Horrors, but maybe if you know the owner had a favorite system or setting...?

If you and your friends had played in games with him, perhaps a 1-shot using favorite characters from his games? Perhaps instead of a 1-shot, only play it on his birthday or something. Heck, maybe try to recreate HIS characters that he'd played. At least their general personality/history, if not exact build/gear.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-04-17, 09:36 PM
Donít know if it is emotional stress from my grandpaís death or just the extended winter weather, but I have been tired as hell lately.

Iíll try and get this back up and running on Sunday or Monday.

Lycar
2013-04-20, 03:04 PM
Take your time. These things just take time to come to terms with.

Lycar
2013-05-04, 06:57 AM
Do you want to keep playing this?

herrhauptmann
2013-05-04, 03:23 PM
I do, but I seem to be a jinx for pbp.
Sorry guys, even a 3 year game isn't able to beat my jinx powers.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-04, 06:40 PM
Sorry guys. I'm here. Just need to review where we are and get my focus back. That'll be on my agenda tomorrow morning.

Lycar
2013-05-17, 07:05 PM
Any ideas how we can get this guy hooked? :smallannoyed:

Toliudar
2013-05-17, 10:42 PM
Ideally, we have some plausible reason why we're here and Dunrat isn't. The symbols will help. Maybe we say that the work at the moathouse is taking longer than expected, the town guards, and we've been sent back for reinforcements?

herrhauptmann
2013-05-21, 10:36 PM
Sorry everyone, been swamped for the last week so my posting has been a bit light. Going to be traveling until the end of the month, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother posting from a phone or wait until I've got a real computer.

Might pop into OOC and describe my actions, which is easier to do than formatting an IC post. Would that be okay?

Swami Monsoon
2013-05-21, 10:47 PM
I'm still following this but sitting tight IC... my character still isn't clear what's going on and can't add much to this conversation.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-22, 06:28 AM
Sorry everyone, been swamped for the last week so my posting has been a bit light. Going to be traveling until the end of the month, so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother posting from a phone or wait until I've got a real computer.

Might pop into OOC and describe my actions, which is easier to do than formatting an IC post. Would that be okay?

Itís Okay.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-22, 08:10 PM
Halgrim is going to return with the drinks, some Flan sour reds (like Flemish sour reds), good for drinking, but not for drinking fast enough to get drunk.
For the most part, he's gonna stay quiet since he's not sure what angle the group is going for (just that they're meeting talk after beating jaroo).

Lycar
2013-05-28, 06:42 PM
Okay, that was rash but it worked. Yay for good Bluff check. :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2013-05-29, 11:49 AM
Bravo! Well done.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-29, 12:58 PM
From Halgrim,

'All new recruits, with no real guidance. Everyone important there is dead or captured, we barely got out.'

Lycar
2013-05-29, 01:20 PM
Uh Herrhauptmann? I thi k you want to post this in the IC thread, right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15325375&posted=1#post15325375). :smallsmile:

Quakes
2013-05-29, 01:26 PM
He's posting from a phone. Popping in when he can. Me as well, though the ipad makes it a bit easier.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-29, 08:06 PM
He's posting from a phone. Popping in when he can. Me as well, though the ipad makes it a bit easier.

Yeah, takes forever to format my posts how I want. Sorry.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-29, 08:41 PM
Oh, interesting.

Never noticed any place in the RttToEE book mentioning the local tavern in Rastor. So I just Made up The Rusty Axe.

Now, I finally found, in a sidebar, mention of the only tavern. Called the Gray Lodge and run by a human rather than a dwarf. Well, I guess the Gray Lodge is now The Rusty Axe. :smallamused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-03, 09:11 PM
Let me know when youíre ready get to tomorrow and get you up the mountain.

And does anyone want a ďrandomĒ encounter so we can see how the new team works in combat?

herrhauptmann
2013-06-04, 01:52 AM
I'm ready to go up the mountain.
Random fights are fine by me too.

Wanna do a quick doublecheck on something. Stoneskin has the expensive material component no matter who casts it, right? Wizard or Druid or Cleric?

Quakes
2013-06-04, 03:03 AM
Random would be nice, just to see how my own character works! I came in after all the fighting haha.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-04, 06:12 AM
Stoneskin has the expensive material component no matter who casts it, right?

Yeah. Itís just V, S, M, not V, S, M/DF. So material is required even for divine casters.

Toliudar
2013-06-04, 12:23 PM
I think a 'random' encounter seems like a good idea.

I've tried to synthesize what we know for the new guys. Lycar and Quakes, please correct me if I've gotten something wrong.

Swami Monsoon
2013-06-04, 04:14 PM
I'll be traveling the next several days. I will have net access, but my posting may be slower than normal.

I'l post something later this evening... trying to make a plausible case for Tom to stay involved in this craziness...

herrhauptmann
2013-06-04, 09:11 PM
I'd honestly thought that Jaroo was a convert to the temple, rather than an imposter.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-04, 09:53 PM
I donít think one or the other was explicitly established. However, Jaroo did fail to use any spells, shapechanging, or animal companions in combat. Make of that what you will.

herrhauptmann
2013-06-04, 11:11 PM
I donít think one or the other was explicitly established. However, Jaroo did fail to use any spells, shapechanging, or animal companions in combat. Make of that what you will.

If he violated his oaths (The old faith opposes the Temple, probably to the point that it's an oath), he wouldn't get any of those things. Wiki articles on the old faith also state that there's an outpost in town, run by Jaroo.
Implies to me that he turned traitor for some reason.

Toliudar
2013-06-05, 10:43 AM
Ah! Well, that's just me/Meggido jumping to conclusions, then. If we get to stop by Hommlet again, we can always try to find out how that interrogation went.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-05, 08:46 PM
Next week, I am going to be on a hiking trip in the Black Hills, South Dakota. Wonít really be updating there. Iíll be gone from Wednesday, the 12th to Sunday, the 16th.

Toliudar
2013-06-05, 10:31 PM
Have a fantastic time!

If someone else has an alternative plan to starting with dialogue and presenting ourselves as members of the cult (we could, for instance, try to go the stealth route and scout out the location unseen, or spend tomorrow chatting with some of the other locals, but the 'doomed-to-failure infiltration leading to an eruption of violence in the middle of a mine' sounded like the most fun fun to me), raise in IC as soon as you can. Maybe Shhalahr will have time to advance us to the mines before he heads off.

herrhauptmann
2013-06-06, 12:43 AM
Gonna make a knowledge religion check for the Temple, and a knowledge History.
Rel: [roll0]
His: [roll1]
I did so much reading up on the Old Faith and how to adopt it to the Mancers, that I'm not sure I know what counts as basic DC 10 knowledge.

Edited my post, had a backseat player vet my accent a little.

Lycar
2013-06-06, 05:53 AM
I suppose the 'doomed infiltration' is even more rewarding if we at least give it a honest try first. :smallwink:

Besides, it is not like Grigor has those ranks in Bluff for nothing. If someone gets on his nerve, an Inflict Light Wounds might shut them up. After all, only bad guys use Inflict spells, right? :smalltongue:

Lycar
2013-06-10, 01:29 AM
Where did everybody go? :smallconfused:

herrhauptmann
2013-06-10, 02:14 AM
Where did everybody go? :smallconfused:

Trying to think of a response to Grigor, particularly about the Temple and infiltrations.
I'm not sure what counts as DC 10 knowledge anymore, so I'm waiting on the results of those knowledge checks on the 6th.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-10, 06:19 AM
Oh, I totally forgot about that. Sorry.

Damn adventure module doesnít actually give any guidelines about what a knowledge check can giveÖ

It has always been difficult to determine the exact goals of the Temple of Elemental Evil. In the past, its masters took the time to surround themselves with varied other groups with different aims such that it was impossible to tell who was trying to achieve what. As near as can be figured, the core membership of the Temple simply sought control over the destructive abilities of the various Elements with a desire to use that power to wreak havoc upon the world and establish their own dominion.

The religious aspects of the temple are even more confusing. The goings on from 12 years ago had attracted a lot of attention from other cults and churches. Priests of Lolth and Iuz were particularly common. Some other demon lord also became involved. It is speculated, but never confirmed that members of a small cult devoted to a being called the Elder Elemental Eye may have also played a part.

Lycar
2013-06-12, 12:32 PM
I suppose how much Grigor likes the idea depends on how much knowledge he can scrounge together about 'Old Wicked'. Because that determines how confident he is to pull this ruse off.

Know. Local: [roll0]
Know. Religion: [roll1]
Know. History: [roll2]

Lycar
2013-06-15, 04:15 PM
*poke* Shhalahr? About those Know. rolls...?

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-17, 10:03 AM
*poke* Shhalahr? About those Know. rolls...?

Just got back from South Dakota. Iíll get an update up tonight.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-17, 08:09 PM
Iuz the Evil, also known as The Old One, is the demigod of Deciet, Pain, Oppression, and Evil. Thought to be the son of Grazízt and the wizard Iggwilv. He usually takes the form of a shriveled d man or a huge deomonic-looking being. He has many fiendish allies and has been known to impersonate other deities in pursuit of his goals. His symbol is a grinning skull, and he bears considerable hatred for Zagyg, Vecna, St. Cuthbert, and the City of Greyhawk.

Iuz requires fanaticism and total obedience from his clerics. They are competitive in pursuit of their acts of cruelty. They are known for hunting out trophies to prove their evilóunicorns and paladins are particularly prized. They are also known for creating evil spells and magic items, and traveling the world to inflict pain upon Iuzís enemies. Iuz is served directly by 18 individualsósix each in the Greater and Lesser Bonehearts (advisers) and the Boneshadow (traveling spies and agents).

Iuz directly rules the Empire of Iuz, directly north of Furyondy. This empire currently occupies significant portions of The Shield Lands. It was an attempt by Iuz to expand his holdings that sparked the Greyhawk Wars. His efforts were crippled by the ďFlight of Fiends,Ē when a powerful artifact was used to banish the vast bulk of Iuzís demonic army to the Abyss.

The plurality of the Empire is an orc population, with humans not too far behind. There is also a notable hobgoblin population. Itís capital is Dorakka, a grim place dominated by a skull-bedecked stone palace. Other cities include Delaquenn, Greenreach, and Molag.

Lycar
2013-06-18, 04:17 PM
... so in other words, Grogor's current armour having been previously owned by a paladin of Heironeous would actually help with the ruse then? :smallcool:

Toliudar
2013-06-18, 04:47 PM
Absolutely! Grigor could claim to have taken it off of a knight from Furyondy, and it would be completely appropriate. Good thinking!

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-18, 05:05 PM
Might help more if any Heironean symbols appeared to be desecrated in some way.

Lycar
2013-06-19, 02:27 AM
Weeeelllll.... It is not like there isn't a crude painting of Olidamarra's holy symbol where any crest would be.

After all, it is soooo inconspicuous to run around with a grinning skull on one's breastplate. When one is carrying some holy relics and doesn't want to draw the attention of some random do-goodniks. :smallwink:

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-06-20, 09:43 AM
Sorry for the further delays on IC. Been having a few meatspace things piling up.

Lycar
2013-06-22, 07:04 PM
Uh, people? Our characters can still chat. For example a certain cat-shifter might want to ask what the hell is going on here... :smallconfused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-07-01, 09:39 PM
Everyone ready to move on to the next day and the ďrandomĒ encounter?

Toliudar
2013-07-02, 11:36 AM
Yes, all good.

Lycar
2013-07-02, 05:41 PM
Works for me. :smallsmile:

Quakes
2013-07-02, 06:44 PM
Yearp =D

*rolls initiative* haha

herrhauptmann
2013-07-03, 01:33 PM
I guess Snowbluff and I should finish our meeting in the tavern asap?

Lycar
2013-07-05, 09:24 AM
Grigor is ready to go to bed in case anyone is wondering.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-07-08, 09:36 PM
Sorry for the delay. Had meatspace stuff. Just finished up the map. Donít have time to post the encounter. But I think everyone should make sure the map works for them.

http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/showmap.php?mapNum=stalagospath

Just select your character from the drop down and click where you want him to go.

Let me know if you have trouble reading the map. Be sure to look at the key (http://alpha.dragonflightstudios.com/maps/stalagospath/key/keyStalagosPath.html).

Quakes
2013-07-08, 11:24 PM
Reading is fine, it's not letting me save it though.

herrhauptmann
2013-07-09, 02:51 AM
I can read it, window is very small compared to the map though. Probably just a limitation of the software.

Can't save it either.
Get this error:
Warning: fopen(./maps/stalagospath/turn1.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /f2/dfalpha/public/module/writemap.php on line 13
Error Creating File "./maps/stalagospath/turn1.xml"

Is there a way to indicate which path we take when we move, to help with th ings like AOOs and traps?

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-07-09, 05:51 AM
I always forget that the write permissions arenít set by default. Permissions fixed.

Anyway, unless otherwise stated, I assume the most direct and efficient path is used. If you want to take an odd path, just say so in your post. If I get around to updating this thing, Iíll look into a path-recording feature.

Swami Monsoon
2013-07-09, 10:19 AM
I can see it.

Toliudar
2013-07-09, 10:51 AM
I can see the map, but can't figure out how to edit. Unless it's important for you that we make the character movements ourselves, Shhalahr, I'm good to post coordinates or note specific movements in IC posts.

Lycar
2013-07-09, 03:43 PM
We can fast-forward to the next day as far as I'm concerned.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-07-09, 06:53 PM
I can see the map, but can't figure out how to edit. Unless it's important for you that we make the character movements ourselves, Shhalahr, I'm good to post coordinates or note specific movements in IC posts.

Is there anything in particular giving you trouble?

I'm noticing there are javascript errors involved when trying to change a characterís label. Iíll have to fix that.

Toliudar
2013-07-09, 07:01 PM
Is there anything in particular giving you trouble?

I'm noticing there are javascript errors involved when trying to change a characterís label. Iíll have to fix that.

What I mean is that I can see the map just fine, but that I don't seem to have any ability to edit it. I can foreground a character by selecting them, but don't have privileges to move things.

Again, though, I don't particular need those privileges either. The map is great, but not as important to me as the words.

Never mind. I just figured out that I was trying to drag, when I should have clicked the token, and then clicked on the destination square. All good. I'm assuming that we're starting on the path somewhere?