PDA

View Full Version : What Existing/Past Spells Should Belong to the Psion/Psionicist?

anthon
2021-01-22, 03:25 AM
Off the top of my head, after reading someone's comment on omitting psionicky sounding spells, I began to compile a quick list of spells that seemed like they would form their own "class", but rather than What-if-isms,

thought it would be funner? more fun? funliest!? to go ahead and just list all the "spells" that really truly madly deeply ARE blatant psionics, but already got heisted by those pointy hat dudes with the beards and wands.

https://www.startpage.com/av/proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fikilledawizard.files.wor dpress.com%2F2010%2F12%2Fno_wizards.png&sp=1611301521T4f5e2361f6ef3c3fafbfe1248702bafc22df 650a2c71ce85346f2c3e7ddef4e2

So here's the beginning of my List, in no particular Order. Please help finish this list!
I have put an asterisk next to ones that only happen to sound like something Psionicists can do, while obvious go getters are italics. If it starts with a "Tele-" or ends with a "-kinesis" its on this list. Same with "-pathy".

Astral Projection
Mind Blank
Reincarnation
Disintegrate
Wall of Force
Teleport
Telekinesis
Passwall
Feeblemind
Suggestion
Clairvoyance
Clairaudience
Levitate
ESP
Hypnotism
Mass Suggestion
Vision
Speak With Dead

Alter Reality*
Confusion*
Maze*
Emotion*
Blink*
Dimension Door*
Distance Distortion*
Time Stop*
Temporal Stasis*
Antipathy/Sympathy*
Reverse Gravity*
Phase Door*
Duo-Dimension*

Some psychics are also known for stuff like meditating in harsh heat/cold, healing or curing diseases, or performing exorcisms. I was tempted to stick Exorcise on the Main list but i wanted to stick to the theme of "this probably sounds more like a Psionicist than a wizard".

Obviously not everyone will agree with everything on the list, and many may think more stuff needs to be on the list.

anthon
2021-01-22, 06:58 PM
Most dimension and mentalism schools of magic seem to be psionic too:

Detect Phase
Displace Self
Blink
Improved Blink
Dimension Blade
Etherealness
Duo-Dimension
Shadow Walk
Programmed Amnesia
Domination
Forget

And a number of spell effects with magicky sounding names, but blatant telepathic purposes:
Magic Jar is just some variant of possession/soul exchange, which is common to Telepaths.
Seems like Exorcism and Possession Spell Effects are a mated pair of Psionic abilities, like Attack/Defense, problem and solution.

Charm Person, Charm Monster, Demand, Fear, etc., these are all telepathy effects, but lacking the magicky sounding words.

Monastic Psionicists have a lot of overlapping Monk-like powers, too, like cure, heal, regenerate, resist fire/cold, etc.

Feather Fall Seems like the 1st level version of Levitate,
Levitate seems like the 2nd level version of Fly

Perhaps there's Tiers of Flight beyond Fly? 3.5 had Greater Fly in homebrew that allowed for about 30-40mph travel for a day.

Very High level Psionic Movement Spells could include near light speed/sun ray travel or even Travel between stars.

This of course assumes you are following a "skill/spell tree" which honestly Psionics should have had IMHO.