PDA

View Full Version : underleveled bard spells

rrwoods
2021-01-22, 01:48 PM
By "underleveled", I mean "a single-classed bard can access the spell at an earlier class level than a single-classed wizard". If there's a good optimization reason to have a different definition, I'm all ears.

In the SRD, I found the following:

spell bard wizard

cure x * -
h laugh 2 3
m mouth 2 3
ob obj 2 3
u align 2 -
heroism 4 5
hold p 4 5
rage 4 5
suggest 4 5
tongues 4 5
lg lore 10 11
mod mem 10 -
z/silen 10 -

This leaves off a few that are probably obviously clunkers anyway, like repel vermin. This also leaves off several spells that are a lower *spell* level but are still accessed at the same (or later) *class* level, like mass suggestion.

KillianHawkeye
2021-01-22, 05:21 PM
Are you just compiling a list, or...? :smallconfused:

Powerdork
2021-01-22, 06:11 PM
I'd like to remind you that spell level is arbitrary, at least a couple of these level discrepancies are close (to within 1 level), the bard has a more limited spell list than even an enchanter, and when someone casts a spell with a saving throw, the spell level determines the DC of that saving throw. If there's a point buy in place, then the wizard also has an advantage in being able to focus on the one casting stat, moreso than the bard.d

Personally, I'm curious how the beguiler treats these spells, but I'm away from my books right now.

rrwoods
2021-01-22, 06:36 PM
Are you just compiling a list, or...? :smallconfused:
Yeah I’m just interested in what bards get sooner.

I know that spell level is arbitrary, which is why I’m not considering it; I’m considering class level instead

Powerdork
2021-01-22, 07:36 PM
I'm more remarking that the reason the bard can access some of these sooner is because they're a lower-impact version of the effect, since they have a reduced chance of resolving.